You were a lucky lady (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Nai'shee on April 29th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Timestamp: 27th of Spring, 512 AV

She wasn't in any good condition at all. Her burns still hurt pretty badly, but they recovered somewhat. She didn't have any open wounds anymore and she was able to move hands without tearing them apart again. Still, she felt incredibly weak due to blood lose and she was told it might last for a season, but she might recover faster. She knew she was going to recover faster, it was her after all. However, it was really hard to do daily things, especially for a thief trying to work after the storm, when every single person clung to pieces of what they possessed. And that little thief was now heading to her classes, only twelve days after her heavy injury. She remembered that she dodged Reimancer's low level attack by using a shield, but she never learned how to do this. She actually signed for Shielding classes this season, but never attended. At first she didn't want to use much Djed, because she almost lost all of it on the day of the storm, after that she minimized Djed usage so she could recover, so she only used it on Flux, for helping out around and few jobs here and there. She was pretty much concentrated at Zeltiva's daily life since the storm and trying to involve herself with everything. However, after that, she got this wound she couldn't get rid of and ended up doing nothing for a while. Actually, she learned that she shouldn't do anything on hard way. But now, she was pretty sure she recovered enough to just come and talk to her Shielding teacher about what happened.

She entered the classroom and said "Good morning" to professor, occupied with some paperwork. He seemingly decided to leave in for later, and asked her which class is it. They actually didn't have any schedule because she was always late or even forgetting to come, so they agreed she can come whenever he's free. It seems like he had work to do and she was glad he left it for later for her.

"It's Shielding, Sir. I still didn't get my first class, I was hurt..." He nodded, obviously informed about the event." And something weird happened back then. I think I used a shield, but I have no idea how..."

This got his attention. He seemed somehow intrigued by the girl, talking so carelessly about this. After her statement a silence rose in the classroom and she wasn't sure if he is waiting to hear a story or he wants to think. "Sit", he told her, pointing at a chair, "and tell me everything". He didn't seem surprised at unskilled newbie using shield, he was rather amused by girl's unsure feelings.

She began to tell him her story from the beginning. "Well, you seem to know some of it, Professor. I was hunting overgiven mags with others. I was supposed to be a bait, due to my Flux skill." He nodded in approval to the plan Faylon came up with back then. "But, I didn't act completely according to the plan..."

"Unsurprising", he simply replied, leaving her a bit provoked.

"Anyways, one of those appeared, Reimancer. And he was fire user. And since we were in the middle of the docks I got afraid for their wooden structure and instinctively attacked... I don't know how the hell I didn't explode." She remembered to watch for language a bit too late, but professor remained as if he didn't hear anything. "Well, Djed in me just gone berserk, I used the strongest Flux I remember using and caught his hands before he threw fireballs around. I almost broke his bonds, but instead I got my hands burned down up to the elbows." She rose her still somewhat sore hands, full of scars, which will seemingly be permanent. "I succeed to knock him down on the ground and kick his head before I fell too. He rose up and attacked me. That's when it happened. Later I was told he succeed to trow only few sparks, but probably enough to set me on fire. Anyways, crazed Djed just poured out of my body, protecting me, but then I fell unconscious because of giant Djed loss due to Flux and that shield."

After he carefully listened to the whole story professor gave himself few more seconds of time before he rose from his seat and headed to take few items from the desk. He started drawing images for her to explain her stuff. "When you use Flux... you see, this is your body... Djed moves trough it and force it to go faster or be stronger. When you use Shielding... here... same Djed goes out of your body and you focus it at some point, around you, around some item or person. Djed keeps flowing around you, the same as Flux does inside you, protecting you from various attacks. However, novices like you need much more time and concentration to product a low level shield which might lower the strength of a punch or negate it. You were extremely lucky in this case. Your already crazed Djed", he pointed at Flux user drawing, "exploded into a shield outside your body to protect you. If that wizard is overgiven I guess his attack would kill you anyways, but he was probably disturbed by something else, and your shield was incredibly powerful for your level. You might never make a shield like that again."

She just stood, amazed with simplicity of all of this and angry at herself for needing this concentration to swallow it. She really was lucky. She looked down at her hands, remembering initial pain when they were burnt down. She couldn't imagine experiencing it with whole body. She could have dyed painfully that day. Again. Why does she always search for trouble?

"Incredible", she said looking at the drawings, seeing herself as some super-lab-rat who just proved he could speak or fly or something. But unfortunately it was just for this one time. She will need lots of practice to do it again. "So, Professor... Can we begin the lesson itself?"

"Well, I already told you the basics. It's obviously form of personal magic too, just like Flux. It also isn't difficult to learn. Also same as Flux you aren't able to overgive. From theoretical point of view, you are, but it's rather passive discipline and you have control over it, I don't know if anybody overgiven in Shielding ever. I'm sure you would be able, tho.", he added, kidding. "Shielder has ability to produce shields around objects, persons or any living beings and to detect shields of their or lower lever around them. Shields also have life on their own, so skilled Shielder could leave permanent shield somewhere. But, at novice level you'll learn only how to extrude your Djed and form a shield. Also, those who wear Gnosis marks can combine them with their shields, for example combining with Inou's Gnosis could give you invisibility."

She listened him carefully, but when he finished his explanation she became a bit impatient to try it out. "And how do you form shields? When will I get to try?"

"Oh, as soon as I explain you how. But I have more work to do now, if you don't mind, and I'm sure you would use some rest, you still didn't fully recovered. You can come back in the afternoon or tomorrow. Don't overdo it, take your time to recover."

Her excitement gone down, but she was aware that he was right, she felt really weak, and she mostly laid down past days, so this was great effort for her. She decided to listen to his advice, but she will surely come in the afternoon or tomorrow. "I will, thank you, Professor. And, yeah, I wanted to thank you for free Flux classes, I really appreciate it."

"Don't mention it."
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nai'shee on April 29th, 2012, 2:16 pm

She was told in infirmary not to go out like that again, but it was her, so this couldn't even wait until tomorrow. She knew she shouldn't pull this up so much, but she just wanted to know how, so she could practice. She was insanely bored just laying down and resting whole days and her only solution was this. So, in the late afternoon she headed for the same classroom again. Professor just finished with his paperwork from this morning and seemed proud of his work. "Good afternoon, Professor", she asked, curious about paperwork, but she didn't find any nice way to ask about it, so she skipped that part.

"Oh, good afternoon Nai'shee. Are you feeling better? You're still pale."

"I feel a bit better, but I'm still deteriorate. I was insanely bored and I just had to learn something to start from." He smiled. Sometimes she thought she might shouldn't be so predictable all the times? It wasn't a good thing in a battle, but good that she lived pretty peaceful life past few years, she was almost dying for adventure. And she have been planning one.

"If you say so. Sit down, please." He said that more as an order, annoyed. She was always disrespectful, except in cases like this, when she should be completely disrespectful and care about her own health. "We should begin practically, I mean, you're the student. If you asked Shielding expert how to form a shield he wouldn't be able to tell you. Every person has unique way of doing it. Not completely unique, but the point is not every person does it the same way. When you form a shield you extrude your Djed from your body, but most of us need to imagine it, to create image of flowing Djed in out mind to be able to really do that. Some of us might create shield by breathing the Djed out and formating Djed fog around the object, some would channel Djed trough their fingers and paint Djed lines around the object in size shield should be, some extrude Djed from all pores in their organism. It takes time, especially on novice level to form a proper shield. If you don't spend enough time on it it will be weak. You will be able to see your shield as transparent weave around the object you casted it on. I would recommend you to start from forming it around yourself, you will be able to keep it longer like that, because novice can't cast a shield and leave it in place, it will disappear quickly."

"And... that's it?"

"It's not easy, Nai'shee."

"I can do it. Thanks for late class!", she said, almost running back to infirmary, followed by Professor's voice telling her to slow down. Damn, she felt dizzy again. Doctors are going to be happy when they see her again...
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on May 4th, 2012, 12:03 am

Adventurer's Loot

Naishee's Loot :
Naishee

Skill XP Reward
Shielding +1
Storytelling +1

Lore: Running from the Infirmary, Telling a Story to the Professor, Similarities between Flux and Shielding

Items or Consequences: Nil

Short and sweet - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)