Business (Solo)

Trente attempts to comission gear, and meets with Maria

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Business (Solo)

Postby Trente on May 5th, 2012, 2:23 am

Spring 20, 512
The air hung pungent with the smell of what seemed to be heat itself, the coals of a smith's forge burning in the home and shop of Charles Kelntro the Third. The exterior of the building was partially washed, within easy arm's reach, the higher stones being clung to by the remnants of charred coal. The building had been engulfed in flamed, no doubt, but survived. Zeltivan buildings were resilient in that way, as Trente had realized after the storm. Ah, yes, the storm must have washed the charcoal below from the walls, meaning the tools within were likely damaged to an extent. Good news for Trente, being an prospective client.

He paused outside, reaching to the cling on his side, producing the thick vellum notes he had taken. Carefully he read over each request, calculating what he could of the cost. He wouldn't pay more than forty for a basic sword even as a singular purchase. And in bulk he would expect at least a modest discount. Then there were the objects which had inscriptions upon them. A tricky business, the calculations. He managed a rough estimate or two however. nineteen objects in total, some had requested none, some had requested multiple pieces. He consulted those that had requested multiples, and reassured they had the money he had approved such. However, he expected an influx of requests within the next two seasons as word of the association spread. He knew this as more than just a single bulk request, he needed to commission this man to do the bidding of the Association, to be there for them in favor and naught. He too was a Zeltivan blacksmith, had been since he first set metal in fire over five decades before the Association was first thought of. In fact, this is why Trente chose the master, he was fast, well known, and a symbol of the smithing community. Of the artisans. Trente's youthful appearance won him graced in the court of women, but when it came to ruling he was quickly realizing it to be a severe handicap. He needed a strong experienced face to be association with the gatherings. To be held the steel and foundation which they trained upon. Knowledge was the cornerstone of the Association, and age was required for such. Apparent age.

His reasons for tarrying were not purely to double check his math, no. He was drinking in the smell, the slight heat coming from the open door before him, and the feeling of soot slowly gathering on his face and clothes just from proximity to the building. He remembered such sensation from his childhood, when his mother had taken them to the artisan's district to live with that contemptuous man. He was not cruel, not to her or her boy in any case. Though a brute of a man he was. She would have never tolerated mistreatment. No, he treated her, and her coin purse quite well. That is when Trente realized that money did not exclusively belong to the leaders, and the knights. It fell in the hands of those that were the most useful. In a society the most useful unfortunately were dubbed only two classes. The ones that killed, and the ones that healed. Doctors, smiths, and a knights would always rule the economy with their blatant war amongst themselves. Feeding their own greed with bloodshed, then healing it as if they were saints. Trente felt the familiar churning sickness within him as he philosophized, and remembered.

He remained however, forcing himself to think. Proudly he focused on the doorway before him, the memories of his mother's long nights, and thoughts of his own future. What would his women's place be? Where would her merits shine, in bed or by his side? Ultimately questions unanswerable, but he knew what road he was stepping down. He was to become one of the many wealthy individuals who profit off the blood of others, and eventually give their own body to the horrible unstoppable currents of economy. Money, money, money.
Last edited by Trente on May 5th, 2012, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trente
Player

Words: 244388
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 1:53 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Business (Solo)

Postby Trente on May 5th, 2012, 4:13 am

Still, some unfathomable force drove him across the threshold into the small work area of the smith. He was there, wrinkled by age, aproned as his trade would demand, and flashing arms of steel as strong as that as he could fashion. A handsome man, lessened not a bit by his age. If anything the wisdom in his eyes created a certain sexapeal. Blue eyes glances up for a single moment, then catching on Trente. He felt in opposition, as if some backwards mirror had been set before him. Trente, nubile and youthful, this man wrinkled and handsome. Maturity and, Trente pondered what he could call his own endevurs. Revolutionary as best. Youth revolted, not mature adults, a twinge of guilt entered him, and immediately the man's liquid blue eyes slipped back to his forge and he continued shaking a rod into the searing embers. "Looking for a dagger are you?" His voice was marred by time, like the roll of pebbles through water, guttural distant, yet rough in it's own sense.

Trente was impressed, as everyone was of Charles. He commanded it, with those eyes, with that voice, with those arms. Trente was more than happy to oblige such a request, and likely more had the proposition come his way. Just the same, he maintained his composure. "You know well your weapons, that's promising. I do require a dagger, among other things. How busy are you?" The question came as a pleasantry, but was accepted as something more. Something Trente couldn't quite observe through the hard shell of the artisan.

Charles glanced up again, not moving his head this time, thought his eyes lingered a moment longer. Then the tough massage of his voice came forth again, deep from within him. "Busy enough to know I don't have to waist my time with the poor." The words were simple, and Trente's heart sunk. Usually such a statement would boil the mutt's blood and cause a redness to the cheeks. Instead, a feeling of hopelessness came over him.

"Poor I am not. Nor wealthy. However, my-"

Trente's sentence was cut short, with a severe irritated roar, which came forth at a surprisingly low volume. "Speak plainly, or leave."

Trente found his anger. How was he meant to carry forth with negotiations if he was bound to common speech? He would have stormed out, he wanted to, he wanted to bite into the man with his stinging words. But, he knew what rested on the negotiation. And, he also knew that his words would mean nothing to this man. He was an experienced man, ages and aware of what exactly words amounted to. Nothing, unless the audience gave power to it. So he took a breath of the hot air, as the smith continued his work.

"I represent the people of Zeltiva. I have come to commission weapons, and armor for upstanding citizens who wish to further their understanding of their city, and to responsibly wield this knowledge to keep themselves and their own safe."

Charles snorted, then his heavy voice rolled into a hardly contained laugh before ending in a wheezing cough or two. The coughs ended as he moved the rod about again, releasing a ploom of sparks and embers into the air before him, then carefully looking closer at the near molten material before him. All before he pulled back and began speaking again. "I have no business with your gang's tomfoolery. Violence has no place in Zeltiva." He caught Trente's mouth opening before Trente had, the objection quelled with a stern glare and continuation of speech. "And I have no patience for your arguments. No smith in this district will have weapons forged for child to swing about as if they were toys." He pulled the rod out and lay I on an anvil near him. With a firm and loud strike sparks began to raise again, sweat gathering across the man's ages skin. Trente was entranced, beyond response. He was a god, hammering the unattainable, crafting that which his words alone could deprive Trente of. And the worse was that in that moment Trente wasn't thinking of how he was losing his deal, how this might mean the end of the Association. Instead he simply watched in sullen awe, as the strikes fell again and again.

"Leave, boy." His voice came between trikes, not bothering to break his rhythm. "You asked," strike, "how busy," strike, "I was." Strike. "Too busy to entertain," strike, "children." Strike.

Trente gave a mindless verbal appreciation for the man's time and consideration, one that fell dominated under the crashing of crafting metal. And, without knowing the means Trente was standing outside again, a numbness filling him. Was it over?
Trente
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Business (Solo)

Postby Trente on May 6th, 2012, 4:17 am

He wasn't sure why he felt the need to commence with his plans to meet with the Lord of Counsel. It wasn't entirely out of fear, fear of insulting her. For what was the harm in insulting the women when there was nothing she could do. She could not destroy the work he had already destroyed with his own foolishness. He had made promises he could not uphold, and soon all of Zeltiva would know it.

The walk was long, and he was glad for the anonymity he still held. Perhaps it was so soon in his plans that he could just slip into the shadows once his failures were revealed to the public. Perhaps he wouldn't be known as Trente, the "boy" who had failed Zeltiva in it's time of need. He wasn't prone to it, depression. But it grasped at him, pulled him down as if an unseen weight. And for that, he asked again why, why was he going to that women. The one he was so sure would destroy him the day before, but had not? What would he say once he arrived, did he even have the composure left in him to properly meet with the revered Lord of Counsel, did it even matter?

Her palazzo stretched above him proudly, staring down with no more than a superior aloofness. He hated himself, how he was then, defeated and diminished, and he saw this in every building, every preoccupied face that passed, and every shadow which seemed to cling to him as he stepped through the otherwise brightly lit spring streets of the ancient city. "You're business?" A guard asked from beside the door. What it must be like, having the status enough to hire guards to stand mindless by your door and intimidate visitors. Trente couldn't conjure the energy to be jealous. He just produced the invitation from his side bag, and waited as the stern man dubiously inspected the invitation then waved him in.

As if some priceless vase, lacking in any true uniqueness he was respectfully passed to a steward, who with kind words and a charismatic smile saw him to a finely adorned waiting room, without a single true look. As he asked Trente to wait, and stepped away Trente knew the man had already forgotten his face. How tragically invisible he felt. How revolted by his own thoughts. He busied himself with the environment, surprisingly simple with cushioned setting chairs, a single settee, and an assortment of well oranged tables of a size so smell it could be used for nothing other than a single mug or two. Tapestries of earthy colors washed against the walls, seeming to extend past them, giving the room a feeling of openness. Trente didn't feel suffocated at all in the Lord of Counsel's hall, and somehow this seemed unfit to the occasion. All should be depressing, repressing.
Trente
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Business (Solo)

Postby Trente on May 12th, 2012, 12:11 am

Mere minutes passed before her soft voice drifted from the entrance to the room, washing over Trente with a certain calmness. Anybody else would have shaken Trente with a jolt, how lost he had found himself in his own mind. But her voice, it help a quality that disarmed men. He suddenly wondered why she had never married.

"Mister Eclatante, I'm pleased you found the time to join me." She walked gracefully into the room, and stopped before Trente as he rose to her presence. She didn't stop and pose for him, or play up her own grace. She possessed a manner which no person could be taught, she may be a tad timid, but for what she lost in confidence she more than made up with in natural aptitude. She didn't have to force herself to speak, and her words of royal standing came as naturally as a sailor swore. Trente did envy this, though was grateful for it in that moment. He decided to relax, for as he had noted earlier, she had nothing to hurt him with. She could humiliate him no more than he had already done to himself. So he gave a sad smile, and elegantly bend his body slightly, and tilted his head toward her in greeting. One did not shake the hands of a women, even one that held the title of Lord of Counsel. Especially one so untouchable.

His eyes searched through her a moment, her womanly body, held in earthy fine cloth, angular face with just enough natural curve to make her seem as earthy, and proud, as a large tree in the woods. Or had she been taught beyond that, perhaps she was more reminiscent of one of the majestic ships found in Zeltiva's port. Her age seemed much as Trente's, though none would know it. He envied this too, the experience she showed to the would around her. She was a women, none would dare call her a girl. And again it seemed a shame to Trente that she was unmarried, and without children. She seemed the type to raise a strong child. Compassionate, and wise, full of confidence.

What surprised him as his eyes met with hers is that she was searching him too. Not hoe he had, not his body, his face, but only his eyes. She seemed to find something in them, and Trente was suddenly embarrassed. She could tell the pain in him, and Trente hadn't wished for that. Though somewhere, he knew he had, and was glad somebody saw him in his pain. Anything thing to feel hatred for himself over, his own exhibitionism wishing for others to see his pain, how immature. How shameful.

"It's an honor, Lord of Counsel." He said, with his usual proud voice.

"Please. Maria." She looked concerned at him, then glanced behind her at a chair and lowered herself into it.

"Yes, of course, Maria." Trente responded uncomfortable and followed in suit, settling back into his own seat. "What is it you wanted to discuss?"

Maria looked down a moment, thinking over what they ought to speak of. She had planned to interrogate him to a degree, however his manner seemed unfit for such a conversation. She often was forced by my tradition to speak of business before personal topics. However, there was nobody safe the two and Maria's personal guards outside of the room to hold witness, or judgement on the conversation. And so she decided to speak not of business, but that shadow Trente held in his eye. She hated having such gloom brought into her home. It was her sanctuary and she loved it, always had since her youth, and the idea of allowing him to sit there spreading it about her room seemed a shame.

"I called you here to speak of your recent project in Zeltiva. However," She paused unsure how to continue. Then, choosing her words carefully said, "Correct me if I am mistaken, but you seem troubled." She didn't ask him to elaborate, if he wished to he would on his own accord. Little invitation was needed to draw such a public man out, she knew, for her father was one, and spent many hours confiding in her after she same of age. That is, before his death. She had needed help then, and could only find those that hoped to profit on her vulnerability. She felt as if she owed it to herself to give the boy a chance to speak.

Trente was uncertain, more if she would care than anything. He decided to share, and in a forthright manner as well, since the topic would come up while speaking of the Association anyway. "Yes, I am troubled, and so is the Association I have been working on." He paused, gathering his words much in the fashion Maria had moment before. He felt comfortable conversing with her, she seemed patient and careful with her words, much how Trente saw himself. "As you very well know I promised gear to those of the association. I have the money, however, the blacksmiths within the city will not work for me." This Maria already knew. "They misunderstand the purpose of this association, they falsely believe that the people are unprepared for the responsibility of steel, where as if they were to go individually the smiths would not hesitate to take their mizas. An so," Trente finished on a melodramatic note, "I have no doubt that the organization is finished, and the chance as such enlightenment is gone." He really did believe his own words, his own plans. He doubted, as a sane man would, but he believed. And, Maria could see this.

Maria let the words sink in a moment, then simply commanded, "Tell me what the purpose of the association is."

Trente silently corrected her, "was." He was getting a little upset, Maria had been there when he gave his speech. She knew full well what he had to say about it. But, when he looked to her face with his bladed tongue ready his ceased a moment, studying those cheekbones again, and folds of skin around her eyes. Ah, yes, he knew what she meant, and he could not be angered by such a thing. She cared for her people, she cared very much. And, perhaps even if the association failed the intentions could live on in Maria's mind. In her heart. Trente suddenly felt faith in her, however brief the association might have been, the people spoke and Maria was more than willing to listen. Perhaps Trente had been too soon to judge, on too little information.

"The association was to be an answer to the people's prayers. We prey daily to our gods, and when it suits them they answer. For this we are grateful. However, I've seen with my own eyes the desires of men granted without a single prayer given." He spoke of the healer at the ball. "The gods will do as they will. And the people realize this now. All the good they have done, then the storm. Our wants mean nothing to the gods. Only what they wish. And so, the people of Zeltiva have begun to turn to each other to themselves to shape the future. And what we have realized, with all respect that might be due, that three groups have come to the idea long ago. The board, the guild, and your family rule this city, because you know that the gods can not be trusted with every prayer.

Well, now is the time for the citizens of Zeltiva to reach that same enlightenment. To learn, and yes likely make mistakes, but ultimately realize what it means to be a ruler of ones own fate. To stop relying wholly on our gods, and our lords. To rely on the wealth of good within ourselves. The strength of our neighbors. This is what the association was founded on, the will of the people to have a will at all
." The words came fluidly from his lips, conjured with little effort. The truth was always easy for Trente.

Maria was offended in part, and disagreed on some topics Trente mentioned. Though, she admitted easily to herself that he was charismatic, almost inspiring in his way. He spoke as if he was wiser than his years, and she looked to his eyes, realizing the slightest of influx in their intensity. He was not human, and Maria wondered upon that. And more importantly she wondered upon what to do with the man. And all of his ambitions.
Trente
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Business (Solo)

Postby Trente on May 12th, 2012, 12:53 am

"I assume you spoke with Charles Kelntro?" Again, Trente was every bit as proud as her father had been, and like her father Trente would not settle for anything but the best. He gave a nod, and she smiled. She was glad to hear it, since she knew him well. Her father would have nothing but the best, for himself, or his daughter. "He is a proud man, and he hates change as much as most of Zeltiva." She then paused a moment, coming to her final decision, then declared as if some official statement, "However, you are right about one thing, it is time for Zeltiva to change." Trente knew of her rebuilding project, and though he had used it as an argument against her in the past, among small groups, he could see the parallel between there causes easily enough. "If I write a personal letter, requesting Charley to grant your orders he will do so."

Trente found himself dumbfounded, for the second time by the women before him. She would do that? Help him, cover up his mistake. He had disregarded the idea of his association surviving, and so the idea came slowly as a shock. But, eventually he calmed, and realized there would be more. Maria may be big hearted, but no ruler helps another power without expecting something in return, at some point. "Would you do that, Maria?" He looked at her honestly, not wanting the negotiation to be cryptic, or misleading. Beyond his proper speech and classy manner Trente was a simple man, he liked the world around him to be the same.

Maria waited till he looked like he was caught up with the idea, then continued. "I will, if I feel comfortable that in your associations attempt to reach enlightenment," a much bolder statement than Trente had wished to imply, though he had to admit it sounded right proper, "the current powers in Zeltiva will go unharmed. I will not tolerate any slander, or intentional sabotage of other groups. Your citizens will still be citizens, and your guild will be treated as no more than a gathering. You will not have the political powers of the Sailor's Guild or the University Board." He did not insult herself by implying that he would even dare try for the power she had. Such was an impossibility as best. Suicidal at worse. She surprised herself, really, wish her brashness. The conviction she heard in her own voice. How much she sounded like her father, the thought made her smile. "And, Trente. I wish to be a public supporter of your association. Such will protect it from the Sailor's Guild and University Board. However, my sway is not without limits. You must stop spreading news with flyers, and must regulate your own numbers." This idea frightened Trente, since a large portion of his speeches cornered on slander, and degrading the other powers. He doubted if he had what he took to raise up, without bringing any others down. The prospect excited him though, if he could manage then he would have all that much more faith in the people of Zeltiva. He nodded, showing he was listening. "Furthermore," she stated after he nodded her on, "I would request your people's presence at all opening sites within the next year, a small due for each member, and the right to pull upon them for City or persona defense."

Trente laughed, he didn't mean to, but it came out anyway. She really thought he was that powerful. He was just a man with presence and a rapier he had a barely sufficient handle of. Maria looked more started than offended. A questioning look came from her, and Trente calmed himself quickly. "My apologies, Lord of- My apologies, Maria. As you said before the Association is not a guild, we do not collect dues. Also, I could not command these people even if I wished to. They are free to defend you if they wish. Few would deny such a thing if you requested it. And, I'm more than sure every last one of them would raise a blade to protect Zeltiva. Beyond that, their presence is voluntary, even at our own meetings. I could not request their presence anywhere. Though, I can promise to promote such actions. As well as defending you and our city, and to donate to your causes. That is as much power as I have."

Maria thought on it a moment, she believed he had, or would have much more power in time. Though he pleased her he was so modest, to humble. Or simply he was unaware of his own magnetism. She smiled and nodded. "I will write my request, and you can deliver it to him yourself. Once our citizens have the goods they paid for we can speak more. Do we have a deal, Mister Eclatante?"

Trente grinned, not just smiled but grinned. She was saving his cause, the Lord of Counsel was championing his cause, and he wasn't sure why. Still, it was amazing. "Please. Call me Trente." Maria smiled. "It's a deal."
Trente
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Business (Solo)

Postby Cascade on May 14th, 2012, 7:55 am

Adventurer's Loot

Trente's Loot :
Trente

Skill XP Reward
Leadership +2
Mathematics +2
Negotiation +2
Observation +4
Philosophy +2
Rhetoric +2

Lore:
Charles Kelntro
Turned Away By Charles
Maria's Palazzo
First Name Basis with Maria
Maria's Terms
Negotiating With Maria
Gaining Maria's Support
Building the Association
The Importance of Upholding Promises

Items or Consequences:
Trente is recognized for his efforts in building what will most likely be a big contribution to the city of Zeltiva, and is thus awarded +10 SP.
Even if you call it Trente being emo (lol), I love the introspection which you put into your posts, and how you describe the people and surroundings that you make use of. It really gives the reader a better grasp of Trente's world. It's also nice to read about how Trente is building the association, and I wish him luck! I may have missed some lores here and there, so please PM me if you want to talk about it further. :)
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)