travel distance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

travel distance

Postby Abri on May 10th, 2012, 4:23 am

Greetings

I have a question. I am starter in Nyka because the map show it has a port and my CS destination is Zeltiva University because Abri is told by his stepfather and a Wise Man to go there. I do not want to start in Zeltiva Uni ok? Dont say that as the chat persons do. They also show me this: http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Distance_Chart

But Nyka is not on it so i cannot use that for help me.

I like the journey as much as the destination and so I want to take Abri on boat to travel to Zeltiva port ok?

How long would it take Abri in good days? or bad days? I mean with weather.

Thank you
Abri
I've written this reminder on my student's behalf: His English needs improvement, but that isn't why he has come here. I've read the Rules, Terms of Use, and other things in the Starting Guide, and explained them to him. I also saw the "Creative Manifesto." Very impressive. I believe that it is here he will learn how to work with other writers and learn to make creative stories. I can see the egalitarian angle here, but please try to be gentle when prodding him back onto the right path. Thank you very much.
Abri
i like adorable and burgers

Words: 1932
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:31 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Journal

travel distance

Postby Nai'shee on May 11th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I don't know why there's no Nyka in a chart, but if you're walking/riding I would take a distance from Ravok, 2125 miles. I know it's more than original distance, but consider the fact Zeltiva is rounded by mountains and sea. If you're coming walking/riding something it will take you a while more than straight distance. I don't know how fast is your character and how good in wilderness survival (and you should have him good in that one, because character can die if he sets for a journey without skill). Take some distance. For example, say he can walk 10 miles per day. Then he'll be off for 212 days, which is around two and half season (that's just an example). If he/she rides a horse it will be much much faster, like one season and some, or even less (an example too, haven't checked the actual speed or counted anything).

You can also come by ship, since your town is port town too. You should find somebody sailing from there, willing to be payed to take you to Zeltiva. It will probably be much faster than going by lend, but they're the ones who'll tell you the actual speed. If you can't find anybody you can ask your domain storyteller if you could lend NPC crew and their ship to take you there, he'll probably allow you, but if he/she doesn't you can always learn a bit about sailing and do it yourself (but boats are expensive, trust me, I'm trying to buy one for a while XD).

However, those people on chat have a point. Why spend so much time if you can already be in Zeltiva? You can always do loads of flashbacks in Nyka, with your characters father or whatever you wanted, or with whoever you wanted. Don't risk your characters life, waste your time and will on something you don't have a reason to do. Just start in Zeltiva (I recommend you to start as if you have arrived in Winter or earlier, because of Djed storm that happened on 1st of spring, it would be hard to survive it in wilderness or sea, and we're trying to make things as realistic as possible here) and do flashbacks in Nyka, taking out the time it took you to travel.
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

travel distance

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 12th, 2012, 1:39 am

As for the actual speed, I can help out a little there. Average walking speed for a human is about 3 miles per hour. You can reasonably do that for 8 hours a day (walk a couple hours, rest, walk some more, rest, etc). That's 24 miles in a day. That puts you at 90 days walking time.

On the other hand, even if you don't have a horse of your own, it's probably reasonable to think you could travel with a merchant's caravan or something. Travelling the wilderness alone is dangerous, but trade still goes between cities. You'd need to check with a Storyteller for more specifics, but I certainly think its reasonable to guess you could get a ride with one of them for a small price. A horse can travel at a faster rate, up to 48 miles in a day, which means a journey of only 45 days.

I definitely recommend ships though, like Nai says. There is a regular trade route from Nyka to Zeltiva. Depending on the type of ships, sailing vessels can travel anywhere from 48 to 96 miles in a day. I'd estimate that makes it a one month journey by sea.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

travel distance

Postby Abri on May 12th, 2012, 2:03 am

Thank you Naishee and Tock for give me a help for this. I like this boat more than walk (or horse) because when my CS will travel i think he can make a stop by Konti Isle and after that Sahova Isle and then Zeltiva.

I have a question now. You tell me i can make a flashback to show the adventure but if my CS is at the Zeltiva University now

Do other persons (that may be with my CS in the flashback) need to make flashback the same as my flashback?

I am sorry if you dont understand me. Please tell me if you dont understand me and i will make a new try.

Thank you
Abri
I've written this reminder on my student's behalf: His English needs improvement, but that isn't why he has come here. I've read the Rules, Terms of Use, and other things in the Starting Guide, and explained them to him. I also saw the "Creative Manifesto." Very impressive. I believe that it is here he will learn how to work with other writers and learn to make creative stories. I can see the egalitarian angle here, but please try to be gentle when prodding him back onto the right path. Thank you very much.
Abri

Character sheet
Journal

travel distance

Postby Pash'nar on May 12th, 2012, 2:15 am

A flashback is any post about the history or past of the character. It can be from Winter 512 until the day of your birth. You can have any number of NPCs and player characters in your flashbacks as long as they are alive, available, and willing.

For example, my character is 116 years old as of creation and entrance into the game. That means, I have 116 years of potential time to write a flashback in. I have already been in or begun threads with other characters who have been alive in those 116 years (Monty and I are in a thread together when Montaine is 8, for example). I will eventually be in another flashback with Montaine 4 years later, when he is 12, and meet another current character, Eriadnus. Both of these characters I have met or will meet again in the present.

Does that help? I'm not sure I entirely understood your question. No, you don't have to have the same people in every flashback, and you don't have to stick to just NPCs you create (i.e. your family).
Pash'nar
There's always room for more.

Words: 295535
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 3:51 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

travel distance

Postby Abri on May 12th, 2012, 2:21 am

thank you Pas'nar for your answer to this. your CS is a very old CS i am impress.

i will remember for tell the ST (i dont know the person now) about this flashback thing ok?

thank you everyone
Abri
Abri

Character sheet
Journal