Manning the Fathers Shop (Tock)

It's Syrahs shift at her fathers winery shop, who will walk in the doors today?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Syrah Steele on May 16th, 2012, 4:53 pm

That girl was good, real good. But she was right too. The dust on the wine case proved it. That wine had been sitting there, for a season or two. There was not a lot of people who could afford it, and it was rarely sold. Her father, though she knew she wouldn't tell him, would find out about this. If she walked out that door, her father would get real mad. Dean hardly ever got mad at Syrah, but its always that way. The mother usually fights the kids, but the dad, well no one wants to fight with a dad. Syrah grimaced outwardly then her expression turned shocked when the girl mentioned becoming a regular customer. Only 270 mizas, thats not that much down her mind told her. Plus months more of this kind of money? Her father would freak.

Syrah almost grabbed the girl when she turned to walk out. She had to make this deal, 270 was not that bad. She could do it, she could tell her father and her father would be proud of her. Maybe he would reward her someway? She could only imagine...

"Ok, your right. 270 then, I'll give it to you for 270. We have a deal then?" She sighed. She didn't even try to maintain her composure, the girl saw right through her. She bounced the purse in her hand nervously and ticked her nails on the wooden wagon.

"I can get John to help you get these back if you wish." she said, assuming the girl would agree to her own terms.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele
My heart is cold but, so is the wine.

Words: 105282
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2012, 2:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 16th, 2012, 5:30 pm

"Oy, sounds good, Sook!" Tock replied, handing over the money Archimaneus had given her for the errand. More money than SHE had ever had in her life, that was for sure. But she wasn't concerned with the money. Sure, she could lie to the old wizard, claim she'd paid full price, and keep the change for herself. But for one thing, he would be PISSED if he found out she had piss (and no one wanted an angry wizard on their tail, especially one who made Golems that could hunt you down). And for another thing, she was more focused on the hope that he'd be so impressed with her that he would step up the Magecraft lessons to something more advanced.

Maybe.

With the wine paid for, she gathered up her things, shoving everything in her various pockets. Then she waved to the girl and said, "Thanks, Sook!" before heading back to the wizard's house. She dropped off the wine, gave him his change (not even getting so much as a 'Thank you,' the damn old fart!), and was about to settle in for the night, when she realized something.

As she was emptying her pockets in her room (which was little more than a closet in the corner of the wizard's place), she found that she still had the wine girl's bell! She must have shoved it into her pockets along with the rest of her stuff when she was packing up to go.

Grumbling under her breath, she headed back out through the confusing halls of the fortress until she found the shop again. She stepped in holding up the bell and laughed, saying, "Oy, sorry Sook! Didn't mean ta rob ya, promise I didn't!"
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 18th, 2012, 12:35 pm

As soon as the girl left Syrah crumpled in her chain in relief. Haggling wasn't her strong point and she didn't like the double standards. She was too stubborn and that almost cost her a very, very big sale. He father would be disappointed at her failure, but he would brighten up over time as the girl came back and purchased more.

She got up from the chair after a few minutes of mental relaxation and checked if all the necessary doors were locked. She contemplated locking the front door so no one else would come in. But she still had a few hours left on her shift and just because she was worn out didn't mean everyone else was. She she just stared at the door, willing it to lock itself.

Thats when she noticed something odd. She should have seen it right when the girl left but she was too focused on her being alive after that. The little bell she bought so many years ago on her fathers orders was gone. The little place when the bell rang was missing. The girl, the customer, she had taken it down and Syrah had assumed she would put it back up. But no the girl instead haggled her down a whole 30 mizas, the price of a nice silk dress, and then stolen her bell! The bell wasn't that expensive, a few mizas, maybe less, but it angered Syrah that the girl had 'stole' from her twice.

She sighed, unless sh saw the girl on the streets she doubted she would get the bell back. She didn't get the girls name, where or who she worked for and certainly not where she resided. Syrah slumped back to her chair to wait out the next couple of hours until she could go home and sleep. She would pick up a new bell the next day. In fact she was so inside of herself that she didn't notice when the door opened and someone came in. the missing bell didn't do much help either. She actually jumped a bit when she heard the girls voice.

Looking up she saw the girl dangling her missing bell from one of her hands. Syrah sighed and smiled a bit before she got up to retrieve the bell from the customer.

"Thank you, I noticed the missing bell. I thought you had stolen from me." Syrah smiled a small joking smile. "I'm sure you didn't mean to, but as a bit of an apology do you think you could put it back up on the door? I'm not sure I know how."

The girl would say yes of course, it would be rude not too. In fact if she said no Syrah could get a bit angry, but she doubted that would happen.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 18th, 2012, 3:50 pm

"Oh, aye, it were an accident, Sook," Minerva said, chuckling softly. "I done were so busy getting my stuff together, she got mixed right in!" She pulled over the chair and climbed up to reattach the bell.

"What a day, aye, Sook?" she continued as she worked. "Would ya believe, 'at blimey bludger didn't even thank me what fer gettin' 'im a discount?" She waved her screwdriver angrily. "I done says ta 'im, I says, 'Oy, Bossman, I done saved ya thirty mizahs, I did!' An' 'E says, 'Oy, didja git the cat food?' an' I says, 'Course I did,' an I gives it ta 'im, an' ya know what he says?" She raised her fists to the air in mimickery of the old wizard's anger, "'Oy, 'is is chicken, an' the pissmonster don't like chicken! 'E wants beef!' An' I says," she shook her fist angrily at Syrah as if she were the wizard, "'Oy, ya blimey ol' fart, 'e's been eatin' chicken fer the last year, fer cause the last time I done fed 'im beef, 'e done threw up all over my clothes.'" She threw her arms up un the air in frustration. "So he says, 'Oy, Mr. Snugglekins,' 'at's the pissmonster, Mr. Snugglekins," she looked in Syrah's eye and waved a hand to make sure she was keeping up, "'E says, 'Mr. Snugglekins 'as a sensitive stomach! 'E needs a special diet!'"

Minerva threw her arms out to the side in defeat and asked Syrah, "Oy, does I look like a cat doctor ta you?" She waved her hands dismissively, then planted her fists on her hips. "Oy, I needs a drink... Ya got any free samples?" She hopped down from the chair, walked over and pulled a random bottle from the rack, checking the label.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 27th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Syrah was nervous, she just thought the girl would return the bell and leave, but now she was ranting to Syrah as if she cared at all about a barfing cat or crazy old man. The way she talked about saving the Bossman 30 mizas struck her as odd. why would he she mention the price if it was always the same? Did she lie to her? Surely not, bringing the bell back seemed to prove she was an honest woman. She was grateful that the girl put the bell back up and Syrah was sure it wouldn't fall off anytime soon like it had before, the customer seemed to know what she was doing.

But then the girl asked the one question Syrah hated. She was like her father in that way and didn't like giving to free things. Free samples were not their specialty. Fortunately for Syrah the shop didn't even offer free samples, and the wine the girl picked up was rather cheap, only 10gm a bottle.

"Um, well we don't offer free samples I'm afraid you have to buy it. We do schedule wine tastings for small groups, though, of course, they cost money as well." She walked over to the girl and took the wine she was examining from her hands. "This is a cheap enough bottle, only 10gm, if your interested. We have even cheaper bottles as well, ranging from 3gm to 9gm a bottle. If you would like to spend a little less mizas today."

Syrah's saleswoman face was on, and she was trying hard to sell yet another bottle of wine to the girl, hopefully it would work and she could gleefully take some more mizas from the girls hands.

Was was frustrating her though was that she didn't know this woman's name. Most customers who came in introduced themselves, but this one never did.

"I never caught your name. I am Syrah Steele." She said.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 27th, 2012, 10:57 pm

"Pfft," Tock said, laughing, "Oy, I look like I got any money ta waste on wine?" She waved her hands dismissively and said, "Oy, don'tcha worry 'bout 'er, I's jus' sneak me a sip o' the Bossman's stuff what when 'e ain't lookin', aye? Aye." She winked at the girl conspiratorally.

She went back to perusing the wine that she wasn't going to buy, and when the girl asked her name she simply replied, "Tock." Where she was from, people usually didn't ask your name, since most people in Sunberth didn't want you to get involved in their business. But since leaving home, she was slowly getting used to the fact that the rest of the world was very different.

"Oy, Sook," she said, giving the girl a friendly slap on the arm, "what, so's yer not even 'llowed fer ta 'ave no freebies fer yerself? Even if the Bossman ain't 'round, aye?" she winked at her. "Don't tell me what ya don't ever slip a nip, aye?" she laughed, slapping Syrah's arm again.

"Oy," she snapped her fingers and thrust one leather gloved finger in the air, "I know! 'Ere's 'at Stallion somethin' tavern, aye? Couple o' cute gals like us, ya flash 'at cute dimple, aye? We won't 'as ta pay fer no drinks, will we, Sook? Whaddya say? Close 'is puppy up early, yer Bossman don't 'as ta know, aye? C'mon, Sook, let's go!" Without waiting for a response, she grabbed Syrah's hand and started dragging her towards the door.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 30th, 2012, 10:25 pm

The girls offer did sound delicious. But Syrah knew she couldn't leave the shop alone, or even close it early. Her father would defiantly punish her. She hesitated on Tock's pull trying to think of a reason not to go. The thing was that she wanted to go. She had some money and could afford a glass or two. Syrah was a bit afraid that the girl was too talkative and it would annoy her but she was a girl with a problem. An addiction was a better word for it and she really couldn't resist a glass of wine instead of sitting around, surrounded by mouthwatering purple blood without drinking it.

John, he could come back. He didn't say he was doing anything right? No, she didn't think so and he lived on the way to the bar. She could lock up and then drop the keys off at his place. Yes she could do that, that would work wouldn't it? Sure he'd be a bit mad, but what would he do? Turn down more money? Or resist the bosses daughter? She didn't think so. She just had to make sure he didn't tell her father. But she didn't think that was a problem.

She hesited a few more second before stopping completly and tugging herself out of Tock's grip. "I guess I can go... But I have to get the keys and we should stop off at Johns house. So he can take over."

She ran back over to the counter and grabbed the keys while checking if both doors where locked then she loped back over to Tock. "Ok, lets go then." She smiled.

OOCLets start a new thread on this. You can post again of course to really end it. But I think I'd like to get this graded :D
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 30th, 2012, 11:30 pm

"Oy, 'at's the spirit, Sook!" Tock said with a grin. She hadn't given a second thought to the girl needing to close up shop or anything like that. After all, Tock had never worked in a shop. Her main experiences were working for her Granddad, who let her pop in and out whenever she wanted, and her apprenticeship with Archimaneus, who didn't hold anything close to regular hours. So Tock was quite used to being able to do what she wanted, when she wanted, without a second thought.

Once Syrah locked up, Tock slipped her arm into the other girl's, and followed through the halls of the fortress until she had made the necessary drop off. Then, stopping for directions once or twice, she eventually found her way to the Rearing Stallion.

"Oy, quiet ol' place, innit?" she asked Syrah as they entered the surprisingly calm and peaceful tavern. Back home, taverns were usually seedy, poorly lit holes where you kept your back against the wall if you didn't want to end up with a knife in it. There were usually rough blokes drinking in dark corners, gambling, or engaging in shady business deals. This place by comparison was downright cheerful and orderly.

She scanned the patrons, scratching her head, and asked Syrah, "Oy, Sook, any o' 'ese chaps what ya think'd buy a couple o' cute girls some drinks?" She winked at the girl and gave her a friendly nudge with her elbow.

OOCOkay! I got us right to the tavern door, so how about you do your reply as the start of the new thread, sitting us down and ordering some drinks.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Chevalier on June 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Syrah

LORE
  • Dealing With Odd Customers
  • Budging on Price
  • Play, Then Work

EXPERIENCE
Skill XP Earned
Interrogation 2
Persuasion 2
Negotiation 4
Rhetoric 2

Minerva

LORE
  • Dimensions of a Bell
  • Aggressive Haggling
  • Abscent Minded Theft

EXPERIENCE
Skill XP Earned
Observation 2
Drawing 2
Negotiation 2
Larceny 1
Storytelling 1
Persuasion 2

Storyteller Notes

Secret :
Alrighty, very amusing. Now there's a few things to just mention. In general I'm going to ask that no one starts off in Syliras from this point on with a family owned shop or anything of the sort. It's not a huge deal right now since it's in the past timeline wise, but in general it's always just better to work for one of the current shop owners on the linkmap. If a certain shop doesn't exist I'm all for a person making that shop themselves, but they actually have to aquire it. Purchase the space, purchase the stock, etc. Do that and heck, you can just about be whatever you want in Syliras, as long as it's aquired.

Anyone, one thing to remember, and you might be able to use this for character development Syrah, is in the current timeline your father's shop will not exist in Syliras. You can decide why. Bad business, decided to retire, etc. Of course if you ever wish to come back to Syliras and open up a shop I'm all for it, so long as the work is done IC :D. If anyone has any further questions feel free to PM me.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Words: 117750
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2011, 6:50 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous