Manning the Fathers Shop (Tock)

It's Syrahs shift at her fathers winery shop, who will walk in the doors today?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Syrah Steele on May 12th, 2012, 2:29 am

TimeStamp: Spring Day 42, 511

Syrah walked into her fathers shop. She didn't mind the shift as a shopkeeper. She enjoyed explaining all the wines to the customers if they would listen. The small bell rang as she passed through the frame of the door. Behind the counter John straightened. Taking his head off his hands and erecting his spine. He quickly relaxed when he recognized Syrah instead of a customer or a big boss.

Syrah smiled and half waved at John, the current shopkeeper her father had favored. She knew he wouldn't last long, her father never kept one person for a while, except her of course. Turning and picking up his pack, John smiled a relieved smile at Syrah. "It's been a slow day," he stated as he rounded the counter, "you might want to pull up a chair. I've only had a few people walk in today." John learned a long time ago not to crush on Syrah, that only met his job would be shortened. Instead he was just friendly and Syrah liked it that way. She was a bit annoyed that her father wouldn't let men come near her, but she didn't want any of them anyway, so she didn't dwell on it.

"I think I will do that then. Have a good day, John." She exclaimed, dismissing him. The bell rang again as he left. Quickly, Syrah pulled a chair from the storage room to behind the counter. Usually these chairs would be used for tasting or parties, Syrah didn't think there would be any of those today. She sat and her eyes wandered the shop as her mind wandered the recesses of her mind. She had been in this shop so many times she was was fairly confident she could walk through it blindfolded and not break anything.

As one would enter the dark brown door they would hear the bell and in front of them there would be dark wood floor that lead up to a nice oak counter where the shopkeeper would rest behind. The air would smell thickly of grapes and alcohol. Behind the counter was a locked door. To the left of door was a wall lined with criss-crossed shelf's that held an assortment of cheap, common wines. To the right of the door was a large archway that lead into a larger room lined completely with those same shelves, except for one wall. These shelves held the more uncommon and unusual wines Syrah's father offered. The wall that was bare of wine cornered a few nice chairs and a small table used for quick tasting. On the far side, that wall also contained a locked door that lead into a room behind the front counter. This small room housed large glass cases that held rare wines. These cases were constantly locked up and could only be opened by trusted shopkeepers.

Syrah sat behind the counter and thought about her idea about moving to Riverfall, the land of the big blue boys, as her mother called it. She had talked to her father about it, he said when she turned 21 could she go. He fully supported the studying of wine, but wanted to get in a few more seasons of his own teaching before he let her loose into the world.
Last edited by Syrah Steele on May 12th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele
My heart is cold but, so is the wine.

Words: 105282
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2012, 2:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 12th, 2012, 4:40 am

Minerva walked into the shop, pausing to look up at the bell that rang above the door. She was supposed to be here to buy wine for Archimaneus, the Wizard she was apprenticed to. But he was busy engaged in some experiment he deemed 'too advanced' for her to watch, and as he often did during such times, he had sent her on some fetching errands. She had already dropped a package off that he had needed delivered, picked up a sackful of reagents at one of the shops that catered to mage goods, and stopped to buy his goddamn cat food. She was getting rather irritated with being an errand girl.

A year. A year and then some of running this damn fool wizard's errands. Sure, he was teaching her magic. She'd actually learned a fair bit of Magecraft, and a smidgen of Animation. But it felt like her chances to actually do the magic were stretched out in between huge expanses of boredom. When he didn't have her running errands, he had her reading. Tock hated reading. What was a book ever supposed to do for her? She could learn magic without having to read!

So, discouraged as she was in her apprenticeship, when the stupid pain in the arse wizard sent her on errands, she didn't take them very seriously. She didn't give a rat's arse about his stupid wine, and he could damn well wait to get it until she was ready to come back. Meanwhile, she was curious about this bell.

She'd never examined a bell up close before. She found herself wondering if the shape really had to be just so to make the right sound. Or if changing the shape would change the tone of the ring. She peered up at it, but it was out of her reach.

She looked around and spotted a few chairs in the attached room. Without a glance or a word at the shopkeeper, she headed in there and grabbed one of the chairs, bringing it back out and planting it right in front of the door. She climbed up on it and lifted the bell, examining it more closely. She pulled the ruler off her belt and started measuring it, figuring she could make one herself easily enough.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Syrah Steele on May 12th, 2012, 4:58 am

Syrah was startled out of her gaze when she heard the bell over the door ding. It had been maybe a half a bell and she had a customer! she quickly stood up and peered towards the door. A girl about her age with short red hair and a... green stripe in her hair? yes she saw that correctly, a unnatural green piece of hair among her red ones. Syrah cocked her head in confusion, certainty she wasn't born that way.

Shaking her head she started to recite to welcoming that she always said when someone entered. "Welcome to Flavors of Steele! We have a variety of wine from all around Mizahar feel free to look---" She stopped when the girl rushed into the second room, grabbed a chair, propped it by the door, stood on it and started to examine the door bell in an extremely detailed manner. Going so far as to pull a tool out of her pocket.

"Um, ma'am? What...What are you doing?" She asked, completely and utterly confused. "Is there a problem, with the bell?" She didn't think so, it rang just as fine as the last time she heard it.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 12th, 2012, 5:52 am

Minerva completely ignored the girl's spiel at first. When she was focused on a task, she tended to tune out the world around her. That is, until something came up that was either relevant to what she was doing, or enough of a distraction that she couldn't ignore it anymore.

She also completely ignored the question of what she was doing. She hated that question. It was amazing how often people asked her that. As if the answer shouldn't be obvious!

She finally heard a question worth answering, and shook her head. "Nah, she looks just fine, she does," she answered. She couldn't examine the bell properly up here, though. So she took out a screwdriver and quickly undid the screw up top that held it in place on the little post above the door. Hopping down from the chair, she stepped over to the counter, then reached into her pack for some paper and her quill. She started sketching the dimensions of the bell, carefully outlining it on the paper with precise strokes of the quill. She measured the little clapper inside, taking careful note of how wide the little ball on the end was. She was curious whether the size of that piece would change the tone.

Tone... tone... She held the bell up to her ear and softly rang it. She didn't know music though. So she held it up to the girl's ear and rang it, asking, "Oy, what note ya think that is, aye?"
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Syrah Steele on May 12th, 2012, 2:46 pm

The girl spoke oddly,an accent, a strong one. Syrah wondered where she came from. Certainly not from Syliras, she had never heard a voice like that come from here. She rounded the counter, curious to what the girl was doing with her bell. She didn't answer her question, instead completely ignored her. This got Syrah a bit agitated. The girl did however answer her second question, the one that was more rhetorical if the answer was no. Of course there was nothing wrong with the bell. John didn't say anything about it and when she was here a few days ago it was fine. It was always fine, it was a bell for gods sake. Bells don't just stop working, they are not like people who have a choice. Plus bell are made of metal, they don't really break on their own much. Oh dear, here she is, thinking about bells! They are in a wine shop! This girl should be buying her fathers wine, not examining a bell! She was about to ask a question when she heard a sharp ring in her hear. She gasped and moved her head to look at the source.

The girl had taken down the bell from the place on the door and rung it in her ear! The nerve! then she asked a question. The note? Like on a piano. Her mother played piano sometimes, but no she didn't know the note the bell made! She never caught on when her mom tried to teach her music. Plus Syrah really had to concentrate on the girls voice because there was still ringing in her ear. Now, Syrah was mad.

"I apologize for my rudeness," Syrah began, "But are you here to buy some wine or play around with a bell like a child? This is a shop, not a toy store. Please, buy something or leave. I don't have time for this." still trying to be a tiny bit polite she tried to make that sound as harmless as possible. After she said it she thought it was probably offensive. But she knew that is any other shop keeper did that her father would fire them, if it was her, which it was, her father would just pat her on the back and say good job while her mother scowled and muttered, 'your brother would never to such a thing.'

Grimacing she walked back to the counter and settled herself in the chair, waiting to see if the green striped girl would leave, or stay.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 12th, 2012, 6:13 pm

"Huh? Oh, aye," she said distractedly when the girl asked if she was here to shop. She dug into her pockets, looking for the paper where she had written down the name of the wine she needed. She couldn't seem to find it. She started emptying her pockets on the table: gears, springs, chicken bones, little blocks of wood, small stones, pieces of scrap metal, strips of leather, buttons, a wooden doll's broken arm, screws, more gears, a white rat's skull, and, "Ha! 'Ere she is," she produced the paper and handed it to the girl. "Need a case o' 'ose," she said. "Take yer time..."

The longer the girl took to procure the wine, the more time she could spend examining the bell. She returned to her sketches, ringing the bell again, and trying to guess what note it made.

She bit the tip of her quill, considering. One bell was too small a sample size to get good measurements from. She glanced around and didn't see any more bells in the shop. Maybe she could head down the street and find some more shops with bells on the doors. Or, better yet, a bell shop! That would be ideal.

"Where'd ya buy 'is?" she asked the girl, holding up he bell.

OOCSince you did all that wine research, let me know what a good wine is. One of the most expensive or exotic ones from someplace far off. The wizard Tock works for would have expensive tastes. Whichever one you think is good is what's written on the paper, and give me the price for a case with 12 bottles ^.^
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Manning the Fathers Shop

Postby Syrah Steele on May 12th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Syrah look shocked at the peice of paper she held in her hands, her anger about the mess the girl made from her pockets forgotten. This champagne, Christal, was very expensive and she had only one case in stock. Each bottle was priced at 25gm, how could she afford this? 12 bottles would equal to 300 mizas! Did the girl know this?

"This wine is 25gm a bottle," She stammered out, "one case of 12 would be 300 mizas. Are you willing to pay that?" If the girl would her father would probably reward her. 300 mizas on one sale? He would go crazy. "Just out of curiosity, what is this wine for?"

Looking up she saw that the customer had gone back to the bell, she sighed and turned for the storage room with the locked cases. With her key that hung around her neck she opened up a large case at the back of the room, carefully she picked up a rattling case of glass bottles and set it in a small wood wagon. Then locking the case back up she went back through the door and around the counter. Setting down the wagon she turned and locked up the storage room.

Sylira rarely had thefts but her father was extra careful about his wine, he had two different keys, one for the room, one key for each case and one for the front door. Syrah and her father, Dean were the only ones able to unlock the storage room. If another shopkeeper needed to they would have to send word to one of them first.

Syrah came out of the room in time to hear the girl ask a question. Where she got the bell? What did it matter? She did know, her father made her get it years ago but she wasn't even sure if they sold bells anymore. She assumed they did they were a music shop and bell make music right?

"Um, I bought it at the Wildwood Music Shop its nothing special just the bell. Pardon my intrusion but why are you so interested?" she asked trying to be polite while really hoping the girl would put all her junk back in her pocket. She thinks she even saw a bone or two, but didn't let herself look at it for too long. Syrah really didn't want to have to clean it up after she left, or have another customer see it if one walked in. "Oh, and here's your wine, that'll be 300 mizas if your okay with that."
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 13th, 2012, 12:31 am

"Ain't fer me, Sook," Tock replied, without looking up. "Is fer the Bossman. I don't even think 'e drinks it. I swear I done saw 'im mixin' it wit' some reagents the other day. Meh, whatever," she shrugged. It wasn't her business what the old fart did with the wine. Of course if it really was a reagent, then she surely wanted to know what effect it would have on a creation. For all she knew, though, he had just been reusing the bottle for something else.

She finished measuring and sketching the bell while the girl was off getting the wine, and jotted down the name of the music shop the girl mentioned. She'd have to stop by there later, and fiddle around with their merchandise.

When the girl brought the wine up, she reached for the purse Archimaneus had given her, but paused when the girl repeated the price. She hadn't been paying attention the first time.

"Three 'undred!?" she shouted. The guy Archimaneus used to send her to had only charged 250! Not that she REALLY cared. It was neither her wine, nor her money. She was just picking the order up for the wizard. It didn't really matter to him how much he got charged for it. But still, that was no reason to let this girl rip her off. It was the principle of the thing!

"Oy, Sook, I ain't givin' ya no three 'undred fer this piss in a bottle," she said, laughing at the very idea. "She's worth two fifty. I can maybe give ya two sixty, but 'at's it..." Maybe if she could haggle the girl down a LITTLE bit, Archimaneus would reward her by letting her stay and watch the next time he was making something advanced...
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 15th, 2012, 5:18 pm

The Bossman? Who was the Bossman? Proabbly who she worked for, but who was that? She mentioned regents, was he some kind of potion maker or something? For some reason the girl didn't strike her as a potion person.

Syrah mentioed the price once again and the girl paused when she reched for the money. She seemed surprised, why was that? Oh, she didn't like the price did she? Didn't she just say it wasn't for her? So what would she care?

"Yes, three hundred. And for your information this is no 'piss in a bottle' this is expensive and highly sought after wine. It is three hundred. Take it or leave it, I dont do haggling." Syrah sighed, maybe haggling would take less arguing but she knew her father would get pissed. She didn't want to make her her dad mad.

She held her hand out for the money and kept her other hand on the wine, there was no way this girl was walking out with this wine if Syrah didn't have 300 extra mizas soon.

OOCI'm sorry its so short and that this took so long! I'm ashamed, I'll do better next time, promise!
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 15th, 2012, 5:41 pm

"'Ighly sought after? Pfft!" Tock said, laughing. She reached down to the wine case and ran her finger across the thick dust over the top, then held her finger up to show the girl. When wine was this expensive, few people could afford it. The girl was probably lucky to have someone come seeking a whole case of it. "Look, Sook, I guarantee ya, ya ain't sell no three 'undred mizahs worth o' wine 'ere in a WEEK, let alone one day! So's as if'n I decide ta walk out the door an' take my business elsewhere, then ya gotta 'splain ta yer boss what 'ow ya let a customer walk out an' cost ya yer best sale o' the month, aye?" The shocked look the girl had worn when Tock gave her the name of the wine had given away that this was a rare transaction. The way she had stammered over the price told Tock that this sale would be a great thing for the shop.

As far as she was concerned, that meant she had some bargaining power.

"Not ta mention 'ow my Bossman, 'e needs a case like 'is every couple o' months. Goes through a bottle a week, 'e does. If'n ya give 'im a good deal, I can guarantee ya you'll 'ave another sale start o' next season, too." She smirked at the girl. A promise of not only a huge sale today, but one next season as well, had to hold some weight.

She half turned away as if to leave, muttering, "Hmm, oy, 'ere's another supplier down a ways what 'as 'er in stock. I betcha 'e offers me a better deal..." She cast a sidelong glance back at the girl, "'Less, o' course, ya can gimme some kind o' deal. 'Ow's 'bout 270? Ya know 'at's more'n twice as much mizahs as ya were 'spectin' ta make ALL day, aye? Aye." She watched for the girl's reaction. No matter how much Syrah might not want to haggle, she was now faced with the fact that her customer was ready to walk out the door, and she'd have to explain to whoever owned the shop how she'd almost sold a whole case of wine, but then lost the business to a competitor.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)