The Forest (With Zerren Verre)

In which Marin meets Zerren Verre

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Marin on June 21st, 2012, 11:28 pm

At this point, Marin had reached as far north as he wanted to travel. The day was getting older, anyhow. Marin angled himself away the point at which he met Zerren, and planned to continue in a zig-zag to the original meeting point. Here he would show his game, and of course win, or argue to the point where Zerren would give up!Ah! I bet he wouldn’t be the type to give up anyhow…Never mind that! More game!

A small buck snuck through the forest to the right of Marin. He turned to face the deer, slowly and hoped that the deer had not noticed his movements. The deer twitched, its hide shivering.
Shoot! He noticed me! Marin was a statue. The deer followed suit, neither moving for what seemed like hours. Come on deer! Move! The deer was oblivious to Marin’s thoughts. Finally its head turned in the other direction, it was distracted by another sound echoing through the trees. Marin relaxed, but only for a second. Just as soon as the deer turned, Marin was on the move again. He made his way behind a tree, slowly and so painstakingly careful it would have seemed to an outsider as if this deer was the last food on earth. Marin moved his body behind the tree, and positioned himself to be able to shoot. His movements fluid. His breath careful. Everything as his father had taught him to do. Marin focused on the buck. The bowstring was at his ear. Just as Marin was about to release the deadly arrow, one simple problem brought itself to be. Nature had not wanted him to shoot this buck. Nature had placed a tree root where Marin’s foot was supposed to be placed, and Nature had the humor to trip Marin.

The falling was the worst part. Nature had the instinct to slow time for him too. He noticed the root too late, his boot clipping the very top of the thing. The rough bark of the tree rubbed just enough to make a tiny sound; a sound which the buck heard. A sound which made the buck turn. Turn to see Marin’s face make the most horrible expression, his mouth open, eyes wide.
NO!!!!!!!! The buck bolted, but not before Marin noticed its silly look, almost as if it could laugh. Marin saw the ground speeding toward him. Yes… This is how my life works…. Of course… Marin hit the ground.

The undergrowth was the worst part. There were plants of all sorts, and all of these plants seemed to have thorns, or pricks on their stems. Marin worked his way out of the tangle of grass, thorns and other assortments of evil looking plants. Thank the gods for pants! What would I look like if such a thing had not existed! Once Marin was up, he pulled off the pricks from his clothing, probably missing a large score of them.
Aw whatever. A hunter must continue…

Marin did. He followed the zig-zag path he set down the trees, listning to the whisper of the wind between them.It seemed like days before any other sound came about the mountainous landscape. It was a strange eerie silence, almost like the buck was the last of the animals. The only sound was the padding of Marin’s feet on the soft forest floor. Even that sound soon became part of the large ecosystem. This was the simple kind of thing Marin liked. It was calm, quiet, and he was alone. Away from all of the hubbub of the city, away from the history of his cruel past. This was the empty echo of a voice that he always knew. A voice that (almost) always treated him with kindness. The Nature of the forest was that voice.

Marin realized that he had stopped.
What strange things memories do to ones brains…
Last edited by Marin on June 23rd, 2012, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marin
(Really Impressive Title Here)

Words: 31725
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2012, 3:46 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zerren Verre on June 22nd, 2012, 2:53 pm

Zerren realized about three chimes into his walk that he hadn't considered how much time was left in the day. I'll be lucky to track and kill the pig before sunset, let alone waste time on smaller prey. With that realization, Zerren quickened his pace, switching from the moderate stalk into an easy run. In short time, he was by the stream where last he had seen the pig, and found some fairly recent tracks by the waterline. Was it a boar or a sow? Must have been a boar, it's too late in the season for a sow to be travelling alone, she'd have piglets by this time.

After a quick drink from the stream, Zerren was off after his quarry. He did not scent the trail step for step like a scent hound. Rather, he kept his head up, seeking out the trail with his eyes and scenting the air when the ground was too hard to keep a track. This would be so much easier if only the boar would keep to the soft ground and avoid these flats of rock. Of course, it was the challenge that kept Zerren interested, and he knew it was so. Every time he lost the track but found it again, Zerren felt a fierce joy unlike any other.

And so it went, Zerren followed the trail of the sow across rocks where all that marked passage was a scrape in the gravel, through thick brush where the fresh growth might be twisted by an errant hoof, and even across pine needles that had accumulated over the years into a soft mat which hid all but slight hints that something had passed through them. This is life, this is joy, and THAT was the sound of a pig snuffling in the dirt. Zerren leapt into the nearest tree and sat motionless, ears swiveling toward the last hint of sound. A form emerged from a section of underbrush and moved closer to Zerren's perch. And now, we dance.

Zerren observed the pig from his perch. It wasn't showing any obvious signs of weakness, no sight limp or old wound to be found. Well, if I had been hoping this would be quick and easy, this would be a terrible dissapointment. As it was, Zerren was glad for the pig's good condition. The healthier it was, the more it could forage and the better it's meat would be. I was hoping to leave you until the next holiday, good sir, but I'm afraid that petching lout has forced my paw.
Zerren Verre
Player

Words: 40899
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2012, 9:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Zerren Verre on June 22nd, 2012, 2:55 pm

Zerren flexed his claws, they were as sharp as ever. He crouched low to his branch and waited. If the rabbit saw me, it would have run away. If this fellow sees me, he'll charge. Best to wait until I can leap down directly on top of him... Slowly the pig snuffled it's way over to the tree that Zhoused Zerren. Three... Two... One... Now. Zerren fell from the tree like a snarling bolt of black lightning, landing hard on the pigs back.

Zerren whirled on top of the pig, sinking tooth or claw into any flesh he could find. I can't kill him from here, but I can at least slow him down... Success! Zerren leapt back from the pig as his claw found it's mark on one of the tendons in the pig's leg. The pig squealed in pain and rage and glared at Zerren, fear and anger shining in it's beady eyes. Check mate, good... Madam?

Zerren looked more closely at the pig before him. He hadn't even entertained the possibility that it could be female, it was too late in the season for a lone sow. Well, regardless of gender, you're soon to be no more. Zerren stalked carefully forward. Even in this condition, a pig could tear up a panther unless the panther was cautious for any tricks. The pig squealed again and ran at Zerren, but it's damaged leg dragged uselessly and Zerren simply leapt aside and slashed in at the other rear leg, disabling it as well.

The pig's rear end crashed to the ground and Zerren stalked once more to the sow's head. The sow swung it's head back and forth at Zerren, attempting to score with me of its small tusks, but even now the pig was starting to fade. The cuts to its back and legs were slowly bleeding away the sow's life, but Zerren was not cruel enough to allow the sow to die so slowly. Zerren glanced for a moment at the barely visible sky before continuing towards his prey. Nor do I have the time.

Suddenly, Zerren darted in under the sow's sinking head and slashed once, twice across the pig's throat. He leaped back as the sow swung at him one final time before collapsing to the earth. You fought well, but life shall go on without you and now you will be coming with me. Zerren grabbed ahold of the sow's haunch and started back towards the clearing. I'll be lucky to have time to pick up my rabbit on the way back. I'd better hurry.
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marin on June 23rd, 2012, 10:40 pm

Marin kept moving, the zig-zag path almost to an end. He would end up reaching the meeting place on time. I hope Zerren is late…. He would forfeit! But with my luck… He will be waiting…
Marin snuck through the trees, hoping that a huge creature would show up, so he would win. Following logic though, that would never happen.

Marin kept moving. The day was soon coming to and end. The sunset was around an hour off, the sun slowly sinking. Marin enjoyed sunsets, their bright color like the blood that pulsed through him; the color like a rich wine, savored by a king. The bay glowed with the orange sunsets, the light echoing off of the water, like the beautiful voice of a woman.

Click.

Marin stopped. Clicks are always good signs. Marin surveyed the foothills, searching for the source of the sound. It…Must be more…wes…st… Marin thought to himself as he crept forward. There was a violent movement in some brush behind a tree. Found ya! Marin positioned himself behind a large trunk, leaning around to view the game. There was a fox poking out of the brush. Ooo! Fur! Marin readied himself for the shot. His fathers longbow was getting heavy in his arm, after all day carrying it. I cant miss this! I need you foxy! The bow rose. This shot is essential! Marin pulled an arrow from his quiver, and notched it. I never know what to aim for on a fox… Marin aimed for the head. I guess your enough like a bunny… Here goes nothing!

Marin had the bow extended in his hand, the arrow pointing at the foxes pointed face. As he pulled on the bowstring, his elbow crooked and pushed it self back. Back into an overly large branch hanging from the tree Marin was hiding behind. Danm! The branch moved; Marin was still. The fox turned quickly, confused why the tree was moving. The breeze had died down and the tree should have been still. I have to shoot! NOW! Marin leaned quickly, and released the arrow into the forest. Heard the fox cry out as the arrow hit somewhere. Damn. Marin leaned back around the tree and saw the fox trying to limp off, its leg punctured by the arrow. He quickly notched another arrow, and released it at the fox. This one hit closer to true, and the foxes heart stopped. Finally! Marin retrieved the fox, and massaged his arms. They were slowly declining in fitness. He needed to hurry back.
Marin

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zerren Verre on June 24th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Zerren was making slower progress on his return trip because of the additional weight of the sow. I wouldn't have to haul all this if I just ate half of it right now. Of course, then it would be less meat for the competition, and I can't have THAT... Zerren couldn't see the sun's position from where he was in the forest, and he didn't want to lose the time that would be needed to climb a tree and find out. I'll just assume that if I don't go as fast as possible I won't make it on time... I hate you pig, I want you to be weigh less without weighing less.

Eventually, Zerren made his way to the tree where he had hung his rabbit. Alright, I'll just hop up here and take it down, tie it to the pig's foot by it's ears... And someone stole my rabbit. The only evidence that the rabbit had ever been hanging there was a few spots of blood on the branch below where it was. I swear to all the Gods that exist and will exist and have existed, if it turns out that Marin has my rabbit, he will replace it with a leg of his own... Zerren growled angrily and began dragging the sow along with renewed strength brought by anger.

Where the rabbit went. :
Distracted as he was, Zerren never noticed that there was a man hiding among the trees about ten feet off. He himself had been hunting for his dinner when he had happened upon a strange rabbit hung up in a tree. [color=yellow]Who would leave a rabbit tied up in a tree? Even with these scratches in the side its still completely edible... He had untied the rabbit and was just about to carry it off when he heard a crashing coming through the forest toward him. He had panicked and ran off, only to stop in the hopes of seeing what would make such a terrible racket. He was petrified as he realized that he had just stolen his rabbit from a panther. And a damn smart panther if it hung it up in a tree. Oh Gods, it's going to be angry with me. It's gonna kill me. Oh Gods oh Gods oh Gods... By the time Zerren had left, the man had worked himself into a near full on frenzy. I've got to get out of here. NOW.

After a few more chimes, Zerren had finally worked his way back to the clearing where he was supposed to be meeting Marin. He switched back to human form and retrieved his clothes from where he had stashed them. Dressing while he impatiently waited for his opponent to return. [/color] If that son of bilge rat fails to come back or comes back with my rabbit, I will remove both his legs and throw him off the top of a mountain. Spending the first part of his life as a slave on board a trading vessel had done very little for Zerren except teaching him a variety of colorful curses and how to cook a fish in at least fifteen different ways. None of which would be considered edible by a person who wasn't starving already.
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marin on June 24th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Soon enough Marin was closing in on the site where he was supposed to meet Zerren. The day was getting shorter, and the slow and painful darkness was closing in on the forest and its inhabitants. He better not beat me back there… Marin hurried along, ignoring the final zig in his zig-zag pattern. He recognized the trees as he quietly moved through the land.

Marin stuttered in his step as he saw a man rise from out behind a bush. The man seemed to be waving Marin in the other direction; he looked at him, confused. Marin moved over to the man, his hands held up in question.
“What are you doing here?” Marin whispered to the man, obviously unprepared and scared of something. “Why are you frea--”

“T-t-t-tt-ttttheres a PANTHER!” the man convulsed, with his eyes wide and dripping with fear.

“Wait? A panther…? OH! The Cat! Yeah, I know… He’s just a little ball of fur…” Marin smiled at the man, patting his shoulder.

Marin smiled as he walked on, leaving the shaking man behind. I sure hope he is just a little ball of fur…. And with that thought, Marin broke into the clearing. Damn! He beat me!

“Hello! Have a nice hunt did you?” Marin chuckled, and his mouth formed a crooked smile. Marin dropped his game in front of him, and set his bow on the ground.
Marin

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zerren Verre on June 24th, 2012, 11:29 pm

"Did I have a nice hunt? Ask her." Zerren gestured to the dead pig lying on the ground, staring at the pile of animals Marin had brought with him. A pheasant, a fox, and... a rabbit. Zerren strode forward quickly and knelt to examine the rabbit more closely. He turned it over and examined it, but the only mark on it was an arrow hole near its eye. If you are a cheat, you at least have a little bit of good sense.

Zerren stood up once more and grinned at Marin. "Well, I think it's pretty clear who came back with more meat. Though the variety you've gotten for me will be much appreciated. Zerren started to laugh but stopped as he heard a loud snapping noise from out in the forest, accompanied by the sound of snorting. Suddenly, a large boar burst out of the underbrush, swinging it's head back and forth and eying the two hunters dangerously. No, it's too late in the season for this sow to have been breedable. That boar should not have been anywhere near this sow. This is not happening. Except for the fact that it's charging at me right now. Zerren dived to the side as the boar went smashing past him, trampling over the various animals that Marin had brought and narrowly avoiding the bow that was sitting next to the pile. As the boar slowed and started to turn, Zerren began frantically removing his clothing. If I can just get out of these things, I can change and maybe defend myself... But Zerren only managed to get off his shirt before the boar started to charge once more towards him...
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marin on June 25th, 2012, 12:05 am

“Her now? Ha! Speaking to your game?” Marin glared at the man, the competition still pulsing through him. It was strange though, when Zerren strode over and examined Marin’s rabbit, turning it over, and examining it as if it was a medical patient. “What’s wrong now Zerren? Did you forget your wittle wabbit?” Marin harbored a cruel voice as he said this.

It angered Marin even more when Zerren stood up and said "Well, I think it's pretty clear who came back with more meat. Though the variety you've gotten for me will be much appreciated.” Buh! Of course you did! You and your little furry butt! Pah! Little ball of fur! Zerren stood, but quickly dove aide. What??!!! Coming to avenge the death of your little friend now? But!? A boar crashed past the both of them, Marin flying out of the way just in time. My bow! I need my bow! The boar turned and set his eye on Zerren. Zerren! No! The competition that Marin had felt was dimmed; He was suddenly worried for this mans life. “Zerren!!!” Marin quickly turned and flopped across the ground to grab his bow.

I’ve got the bow… Now what? I cant shoot it from behind… I need an eye! How do I get an eye? Distraction!

Marin quickly tried to draw an arrow, his hands shaky and fumbling. Come on hands! The arrow shook against the bow, the knocking almost as threatening as the boar. If I miss… Calm…. Marin pulled on the string, feeling as scared of the boar as he thought Zerren was. He aimed. Release. The arrow sailed in slow motion toward the charging boar. I need another arrow! The arrow punctured the boars rear end, angering it. Arrow!! The boar turned. ARROW!!! Marin grabbed an arrow, notching it as fast as he could.
Marin

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zerren Verre on June 25th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Zerren had already dived and rolled back to a standing position before he realized what Marin had done. That idiot is going to get himself killed if he can't get off a better shot than that. Quickly, Zerren kicked off both his shoes and stripped off his pants in one fluid motion. I could leave right now and keep myself completely safe... But I'm not going to because anytime it's my life or someone else's, I seem to find myself picking the other person. Damnable protective instincts.

Zerren started running in human form and shouted to Marin before he shifted to his panther form. "I'll distract it! Shoot for the eye or heart and I swear to all the Gods that if you hit me I will snap your bow in half!" Zerren would have said more, but he needed the speed of his panther form more than he needed to tell Marin to get out of the boar's way. He sprinted up beside the boar and raked his claws across it's flank once before leaping to the side. Did it change targets? Zerren looked and saw a flash of tusk as the boar barreled towards him again. Yes it did. Gods be damned, that pig is fast.
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marin on June 25th, 2012, 11:50 pm

"I'll distract it! Shoot for the eye or heart and I swear to all the Gods that if you hit me I will snap your bow in half!" Zerren was yelling, running, and stripping all at the same time. What cant that cat do? Marin had the arrow notched and aimed as Zerren pulled on the boars side. Marin quickly pointed the arrow at the moving target, released and hit the boar in the side. Sadly, the boar was turned too quickly for Marin to get a deep hit, and the boar was still dragging Zerren with him.

The boar had slowed though, a good sign. One more shot! Marin notched and pulled. He focused, all of his strength pulling on the bow, the rest directing him what to do.
“This boar needs to DIE!” Marin spoke as he released the arrow; the arrow splitting the air, and what seemed to be the boars thick hide. Yes! Marin dared to look over. The boar had fallen underneath Zerren, three arrows poking out of his thick skin. I did it!
Marin

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext