[The Main Gates] Safe Haven (Dusk)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sturlin on April 20th, 2010, 3:25 am

The magician had only been here once before, and then only briefly. He had very little working knowledge of Syliras. If he was honest with himself he might admit that he had no idea how or where he was going to seek medical attention. Perhaps the guards who had directed him to the Golden Dragon Inn on his last visit would direct him toward a healer this time.

Travel, injury, and exhaustion were all visible on the haggard man's face. The left side of his face sagged visibly under the weight of scars and exhaustion. All of the bandages on his body were now stained brown from dirt and old blood, having not been washed or changed since the morning he packed up his camp. Injuries to his body now consisted of a lacerated scalp, a pierced stomach, a savaged thigh, a recently dislocated shoulder, several bruised ribs, five bruised toes on his right foot, and hundreds of minor cuts and contusions from both frantic flight and a fall of many feet. His limp was heavy under the strain of his slashed thigh and bruised toes, his lurching balanced only by the steady support of Francis the loyal chestnut.

By the time he had arrived at the gates afternoon was giving way to evening. It had been two long days of staggering with the help of Francis. Mr. Pickles was following along behind. Since his master had become injured he had become more affectionate than usual, sensing that Sturlin needed a friend. The cat rubbed his chin on the ankle of the magician when they paused.

The guards were speaking to a hunter who was bringing goods into the city. The man had better luck or greater skill than Sturlin. He was toting a cart behind him which the guards inspected, and it was filled with the pelts of large game and slabs of preserved meat for market. Under healthier circumstances he would have more clearly examined his competition in an attempt to determine the reason for their success. He could barely muster the energy to wait his turn.

Several people were beginning to stare. Traffic at early evening was not as busy as at other times of the day, but a broken and bleeding wreck of a man was news no matter how many people were there to see him. When the hunter speaking to the guards was admitted into the city and their attention was free, they saw him. The pain in his thigh was too much. When attempting to step forward for inspection by the authorities he fell to his knees with a groan.

The key to power is focus

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

The key to peace is power
Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Words: 133806
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 5:19 am
Blog: View Blog (13)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on April 21st, 2010, 5:50 am

As Sturlin's knee hit the ground, a sudden flurry of voices shouted orders, and a moment later one of the Knights crouched and slung Sturlin's arm over his shoulders. "You're safe now," the man reassured him as another Knight took hold of Francis' reins and followed behind them. Then he began bodily hauling the injured man through the gates and into Syliras. More shouting, and names thrown back and forth, but nothing was expect of Sturlin but that he keep putting one foot in front of the other.

It wasn't a far trip, just to the first of the apartments on Traveler's Row. Matilda always kept a handful of rooms available for just such instances - for it was a reality of Mizahar that Sturlin was not the first man to stumble half-dead into the arms of the Knights, and would not be the last. They had learned generations ago to prepare for such instances, and thanks to a few of Gnora's followers such arrangements had gotten much more efficient in the last few years.

The Knight got him settled on the edge of the bed in one of the small rental rooms, easing him down and then crouching beside him. "The healers will be here soon," he said, making sure that Sturlin could sit up on his own before he bent and began unlacing his boots. "We'll put your horse up in the stables here, and the healer's on her way. What happened to you?" he grunted, a little disbelieving, as if he couldn't quite picture what had put the poor man through the ringer.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Sturlin on April 21st, 2010, 4:35 pm

"Monster. I was attacked, by a monster," Sturlin groaned as he was sat on the bed. For now he trusted in the benevolence of his saviors and allowed them to do as they wish. Telling them exactly how he had killed it was not a priority, he was far from sure how the law in this town reacted to magicians. "It's head is stuffed in my pack. I got him." Sturlin laughed tiredly, unable to believe that he was now in the safe haven of Syliras.

His eyes scanned the room to take in his surroundings. As he rested there he tried to calm and focus his mind. He had no idea who these people were or what they were capable of. No matter how well known the knights were in these parts, he had never interacted with them directly and therefore had no idea what to expect. Biding his time was the only option. If they were truly his allies then he would repay them for their generosity. Were they his enemies, he would kill as many of them as he could before he succumbed to exhaustion.

"My cat. Is Mr. Pickles alright?"

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on April 21st, 2010, 5:44 pm

Sir Adamal Brinkaas

The knight finished with his boots and began helping him off with the rest of his clothes, knowing the healer would want to get a look at all his wounds. "Good for you," he chuckled, shooting a grim sort of smile up at the wounded man. "The outside world is a dangerous place. There's a reason most people come to Syliras for shelter, and I think you've just learned it. Now, what's your name, and where do you hail from?" he asked, easing the man's shirt over his head and wincing a little at the dirty bandages over his stomach.

There was a scratching and yowling at the door, which got a glance from the knight, but a moment later the door was shoved open and Mister Pickles bounded in, yowling again as he investigated his surroundings. Behind him came another Knight, a woman this time though she wore the same armor and sword at at her belt - but this one was pale as moonlight, hair and skin a milky white, and her eyes were a stunning shade of cerulean. Easily visible on the side of her delicate throat was the mark of Rak'keli, winding around and back into her hair.

Sira Helena Ysralim

"How bad this time?" the Konti chuckled, closing the door behind her and stepping quickly over to the side of the bed. She offered Sturlin a quirk of a smile, but only a moment's pause before she focused more on his body than on him, all business.

"Probably not as bad as all that when it started, but looks like he's been on the road a few days getting here," the man said, raising an eyebrow at Sturlin to confirm or deny the story.
Last edited by Dusk on April 22nd, 2010, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Sturlin on April 21st, 2010, 5:55 pm

"Sturlin. I come from the wildlands, originally." It was a half-truth. One which he did not elaborate on any further as his friend and companion came yowling into the room. The hunter, now stripped except for his dirty bandages, lowered his hand and made a clicking noise in his mouth to call Mr. Pickles to him. The pink and saggy cat came stalking over and purred while rubbing the side of his face against his master's knuckles.

"Yes. Two days here, I think. It would have been faster but I hurt my leg." He gestured with his good hand to the bandages on his leg and the purplish toes on his right foot. The scars which began on his left hand and ran to his face also, with less frequency, marked his entire left side. Given the nature of his appearance they were likely less noticeable than normal.

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on April 21st, 2010, 11:11 pm

The Konti began unwrapping all of his bandages, leaving the whole of him exposed. "Mmph," she grunted, climbing over the bed to exam his back as well, unwilling to move him more than she had to. "What'd you do, roll down a petching mountain?"

Light eyes glanced up and caught his, and then her frown relaxed into a dry smile. "Sorry. I'm Helena, and that's Adamal, since he probably didn't introduce himself," she chuckled, and the other knight just grinned back and waved. "None of this looks too serious - the toes I can't fix, but the cuts, yes, I can heal those. Then we'll wrap the ribs and splint your foot, should probably stay off it for at least two or three days."

"Have you money or goods to pay for the room and for healing? The room you'll have to pay in cash, but if you've none then the Knights can extend you a loan and either take goods in trade or you can work to pay it back," Adamal added as Helena went back to examining the wound in Sturlin's thigh.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Sturlin on April 22nd, 2010, 4:25 pm

His eyes followed her as she moved around him and examined his body. He did not give the air of a man who had done wrong, but such experienced knights would recognize that he did not trust them. Still they were his best hope of getting out of this city as soon as possible, so he sat still and allowed them to inspect him. When the man and woman both smiled at him he did his best to force a smile and nod back.

"How much does a room and healing cost? I have some valuables on me, but I am not familiar with your prices here." As he said this he reached over and hooked his backpack closer with a finger, wincing and hissing with pain as he was forced to lean to do so. Mr. Pickles began balling up one of the bandages which had been removed and was in the process of pawing it rapidly across the floor.

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on April 22nd, 2010, 5:28 pm

The Konti woman heard him hiss and gently grabbed his wrist, halting his action. "Don't worry about it now," she said, shooting a glare at Adamal, who had the grace to look uncomfortable. "There's no point hurting yourself further. Whether you have the money or not, we can work it out." The smile she gave him was warm and understanding, a motherly smile, and she released his wrist with a comforting pat.

"Now, just relax. This will take a few moments," she said, rubbing her hands together to warm them a little. She then placed them palm-down on either side of his chest, and closed her eyes.

A small frown tilted her lips as she concentrated - and then her eyes fluttered open again, and she smiled. That simple, easy expression on her face was like a light in the darkness; it drowned out everything else, seduced him with its kindness, and on the lips of the Konti healer it shut out all thought, all emotion except for hope.

"You're going to be fine," she assured him, and there was no question in it. He would be fine, would be healed and would thrive, by the grace of Rak'keli who wanted nothing more than for him to be healthy, to be well. And when the bright, white glow of her smile had finally banished any doubts he may have had, her smile quirked once more, became mortal again, and she laughed and lifted a hand to pat his cheek. "See? All done."

When he glanced down again, there were no longer any lacerations marring his flesh. Every one of them had closed over and healed without a scar; all except the gash in his thigh, which remained open but at least seemed to be a bit cleaner. His rib was still bruised, and his toes were still broken, but rest of his wounds had disappeared as if they'd never been. Even his shoulder, which had been screaming in pain and swollen from its dislocation, was once again calm and quiet.

"Now, let's get that thigh stitched up and your toes splinted, and you should be right as rain," she chuckled.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Sturlin on April 22nd, 2010, 5:59 pm

When she grabbed his wrist the ghost of a snarl appeared upon his ravaged face. The legacy of his father, perhaps. Gone as soon as it had come, he relaxed his muscles and let her do her work. When she placed her hands upon his chest he was prepared for it. His only reaction was a polite nod. So this would not be the traditional healing he was accustomed to then.

Once he had recovered his senses from the luster of her smile, he turned to examine his body. Gingerly he tested his shoulder and ran his fingers over his scalp. Everything seemed to be in order. Only a few injuries remained, and he was sure that she was correct in her assessment of his downtime. It would not be long at all before he was able to return to camp. Gruffly he said, "Thank you for the help."

As she prepared to splint his toes and stitch his thigh he centered his body and mind. This would be an excellent exercise for his meditative techniques. Even if he was not able to ignore the pain while seeking his center, it would distract him from his pain to try. Mr. Pickles yowled pitifully from the corner. Somehow he had become tangled in the bandages, and the bandages had in turn become tangled around a chair leg. He hung from the leg like a sack of misshapen pink potatoes.

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on April 23rd, 2010, 4:38 am

"You're welcome," she said, something dryly amused in her tone. Perhaps it was for how tough he was being, or unpersonable if you got right down to it. But she was a Knight and a healer, and she would do what she could to help him even if he was surly.

She gave a sharp whistle, and a boy of about eleven ran in, a pack clutched in his hands. He stared wide-eyed at Sturlin, freezing as he caught sight of his scars. "Tomas!" the healer barked, and the page jumped and scurried to bring her the bag. She rooted around in it and finally drew out fresh bandages, a medical sewing kit, and a little bottle of something that smelled sickly sweet even with the cork on it. "Go fetch some water and a clean cloth," she told the boy, who'd been staring at Sturlin again, and he quickly scampered out again.

Adamal went to extricate the cat from its prison, chuckling as he carefully unwrapped it, then settled in the chair with Mr. Pickles in his lap, petting him to keep him occupied. He mostly ignored the other two, there mainly to ensure her safety in the presence of an unknown stranger.

WIthin a few minutes the boy had returned with the water and Helena got all her gear paid out the way she wanted, and she went about cleaning the wound and the area around it and then stitching it closed. She had a deft hand, and called the page over to sit at Sturlin's feet and watch how she did it. Every now and again she had to nudge him with the toe of her boot to get him to pay attention, his wide eyes always wandering back to the scars on Sturlin's face, but eventually he settled down enough to watch the small, careful stitches she made. When she was done, she handed the needle over to the page and let him knot it off, quirking a smile at Sturlin that begged patience - they all had to learn somehow.

She snipped the thread with her beltknife, then indicated with a wave of her hand that the boy should pack up the kit while she wrapped a bandage around Sturlin's thigh. "I will speak with Matilda," she murmured, "who runs this establishment. If you've no spare clothing, she will find you a set I'm sure - people always leave things around here, and they will at least last you until you can walk to the market and buy your own. What are the prices here, Tomas?"

The boy, caught off guard, blinked a moment before he tried to remember. "Uh... one silver a day, Sira, for the room. Another silver for meals to go with it. Matilda makes really good stew," he added with a shy smile to Sturlin, though it would disappear in a bright blush the moment the man looked at him.

"For my services, and the supplies for such, five gold," she said, drawing out a few thin pieces of wood and kneeling down beside him to measure them for his toes. She drew her beltknife again and cut them a little, then carefully placed one between each toe and another long one beneath them to stabilize them and wrapped the whole of his foot in bandaging. "You can pay Matilda and she'll make sure we get it. No point wearing yourself out worrying over it now," she said, tying the final knot and patting him on the knee. "There. Now, this is a sleeping draught," she said, shoving the tiny bottle into Sturlin's hand, "and I'd suggest you take it because you're about to be very exhausted. The healing does what it can, and you'll likely fall asleep easily enough, but your leg and foot will wake you up within the hour if my guess is right."

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Next