Orchestrating Climbers (Solo Job Thread)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Asha on June 2nd, 2012, 11:39 pm

Time Stamp: 1 Summer, 512

Syna was high in the sky as Asha stood beside Mogg looking down at the base of a willow tree located near the southern edge of the Base Camp. A pace away from the tree was the corner of a longhouse. Twisted up around the willow tree was a thick, stalky vine with broad, heart-shaped leaves protruding out of it. The vine had had grown roughly two feet up the base of the willow tree, sinking its tendrils into the thick bark.

“I spotted this wild grape vine about a bell ago, wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it until now. I want us to carefully unwrap the vine and its tendrils from around this tree and then start training it to grow up the side of this longhouse. It would be better for the tree anyways, and it will have much more room to grow and spread if it crawls all over the walls and roof of this longhouse. The grapes it will bear are a bit on the sour side, but there are lots of creatures that will eat them. Ought to make the bird Kelvics happy.” Mogg chuckled to himself. Asha smiled and nodded at him.

“How are we going to do that? Won’t we end up hurting the vine? I hope it still grows.” Asha tilted her head to the side as she posed the question to Mogg and considered different options. She looked at the vine again to take stock of the issue. The vine had cast many delicate tendrils deep within the bark of the willow tree, and it would be difficult to extract them without breakage. The broad green petals were very plentiful though, and would provide extra shade and cover to the longhouse once they grew. Perhaps during the next cycle of seasons the vine would multiply and more grape vines would arise to completely overtake the longhouse. The image of the possible vine covered longhouse filled Asha’s mind for a moment before Mogg interrupted her thoughts.

“Well some of its tendril hooks will get damaged in the move, that’s unavoidable. But this vine is a survivor, it will recover quicker than you think. Some plants need to be coddled and its condition controlled but not this one. This will be alright as long as we are gentle. It ought to send out some shoots at the bottom as well to spread its root system closer to the longhouse and its climb.” Mogg explained. Asha nodded in understanding, trusting that he knew what he was talking about. Mogg had yet to instruct her in something that didn’t work out just as smoothly as he anticipated. He often said with the need of the Camp always at the top of his mind, he didn’t have time to teach Asha about the finicky plants and needed to focus on the ones that would be continue to thrive and contribute to livelihoods even after they had left the Camp, whenever that may be.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Asha on June 7th, 2012, 4:17 pm

“Well why don’t you start trying to pull some of those tendrils out from the bark? Be gentle. I need to run and grab some twine for when we train it to grow up the longhouse. I’ll be back shortly. And take your time, don’t rush those tendrils.” Mogg spoke with one hand on his hip. Asha nodded and Mogg turned to trot off quickly to obtain some twine.

Asha turned back to examine the vine, wondering how she ought to start this project. The top of the vine was the obvious choice but the tendrils seemed delicate and new, they made her nervous about how well her thick, powerful fingers could unwrap their hold on the willow bark. She reached one hand out tentatively and grasped the vine where a tendril sprouted. The tendril was fresh growth and had only reached its tip into the thick bark. Asha pulled gently at the vine and the tendril sprung free, a short green corkscrew attached to the vine. Feeling more confident, Asha grasped the vine slightly lower where the next tendril grew and pulled. She gasped slightly as the tendril ripped from the vine and stayed firmly wound behind a chunk of bark.

“I’m sorry little grape vine.” Asha whispered to the silent green plant. A small hint of guilt nibbled at her heart. Mogg had warned her that some damage was unavoidable but it was difficult for someone who had the philosophies of the Spires ingrained in her to cause damage to plants. But she supposed it was no different than pulling weeds, an unfortunate necessity. While she was contemplating how to accomplish the next tendril, Mogg returned.

“Haven’t gotten too far, I see. Well no matter. I will work on loosening the tendrils free, you just hold the vine for me so it doesn’t have to drag on the ground.” Mogg instructed with a sigh. Asha knew that it frustrated him that she was bothered by pulling weeds and damaging plants but he knew it would take time for her to become comfortable with such things. He had explained it took him many years of gardening before he got over the resignation and understood that it was necessary to help other, more useful plants grow.

Asha grasped the top of the vine gently while Mogg went to work freeing the willow tree of tendrils. Even though Mogg’s fingers were even thicker and bigger then Asha’s he worked quickly and gently. Even so, there were many tendrils to loosen and some were very firmly wedged behind the bark. A few tendrils ripped from the vine but Mogg continued on without pause or apology to the plant.

After half a bell of holding the vine off the ground as Mogg worked Asha’s arms were beginning to feel numb. She worried that perhaps they might fall off when Mogg sighed loudly as he finished with the last tendril. Asha took a deep breath of relief. Finally she might be able to lower her arms. Mogg had been kneeling over the base of the tree as he worked and now he stood and stretched his back as he admired his work. The vine held in Asha’s hands seemed longer then it had on the tree. Snaking up the tree had taken a lot of growth and now it seemed easily four feet long.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Asha on August 17th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Mogg turned to Asha and motioned for her to bring the vine toward the longhouse. She carefully stepped towards the structure holding the vine delicately. Though she had always considered herself gentle she was nervous of damaging what she deemed as a fragile with her large fingers. Mogg rolled his eyes at her and moved to pick up the twine he had set down while unwrapping the vine. Her constant worry about doing the slightest damage to plants annoyed him. He knew the vine would be perfectly fine.

“Drape the vine loosely against the longhouse. We will use a few ties to secure it there. In a couple days it will have its little hooks pretty firmly wrapped into the longhouse and we can take the ties off.” Mogg instructed brusquely. Asha nodded and laid the plant loosely against the longhouse as she had been told to. Mogg approached and handed her several lengths of twine. She waited and watched him tie one of the twines around the vine and a jut in the wooden longhouse structure before moving to work herself. It only took a few pieces of twine to adequately secure the vine to the longhouse. Asha stepped back to admire the work they had accomplished that morning.

“It looks good. Like I said, we can remove the ties in a couple days when it should be supporting itself. Give it a year or two and soon the whole longhouse will be covered with wild grapes. Might be enough reason to actually come back and visit this place to see the results.” Mogg spoke quietly and nodded in approval of their work. Asha looked at him quizzically after his last words. She hadn’t considered yet if she would come back to this place once the city proper was theirs again. It was a thought worth pursuing, but perhaps at a different time. Mogg sighed and began to trot away. He motioned for Asha to follow him as they tackled their next task.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cinna on August 27th, 2012, 8:16 pm

And the forest reveals....

I just really enjoy reading stuff with your character, even if it is just about moving grape vines :)

Asha :
Skills:
Gardening +2
Herbalism +1
Construction +1

Lores:
Learning to Let Go Of Plants
A Wild Grape Is A Fickle Fruit
Gardening: How to relocate a grape vine.
Mogg Knows Best

If you have any questions or concerns about my grading then don't hesitate to PM me :)
All thread tickets are sold out until most of the current modded threads are completed. I apologize for the trouble.

The Spires I Jamoura I Player Guide I Housing
Cinna
The Residing Wood Nymph

Words: 52321
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2012, 3:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)