Magic questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Magic questions

Postby Nas on July 8th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Hello i have some questions

1If a nuit uses flux would they be able to have hm strength and speed?
Also since the body is being used and the nuit dont? know the limits beign undead the body is weared out faster or not?
(and because of their body snaching are they able to master flux on new bodies provided they use some time to leanr the new pathways?).

2Isi t possible for someone to use glyphing to keep a body a bit longer (like stop it from falling apart it will still get cut or something just wont rot as easy?).

3Since the nuit are dead If they overgive and go to a new body and the overgiving had just wrecked the previous body(only a bit lets say the right arm was useles does this carry on to the next body?).

4Does overgiving on the nuit take special forms so to say?
Bold letters i speak Italics i think Pavi.
Current body:Human 6'5 tall All limbs intact.
Nas
Player

Words: 23205
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Magic questions

Postby Eridanus on July 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I'll try to answer.

1) First you are misunderstanding Flux. Flux is not your typical +50% Strength, +50% Agility magic buff. It is the manipulation of the djed within you that corresponds to your physical body. How people gain supernatural strength in a punch for example, is redirecting djed from other parts of their body to their hands, thus there is always a trade-off. Someplace weak in exchange for someplace strong. I'm not sure about the second line, clarify it please. For the last bit, yes if your nuit has a strong understanding of flux, in a new body all he has to do is to familiarize himself with the new djed pathways and he will be good to go.

2) Not unless the glyphing is used in some sort of Animation process. Glyphing can be used to enhance magic, but not to enhance any random effect (like to keep the body longer). Perhaps using Glyphing to enhance Animation, or Alchemy, in some method to keep the body longer. You'll have to be creative in this aspect.

3) It depends if the overgiving is physical, mental or spiritual. Purely physical injuries can of course be disregarded when you change bodies. However, mental overgiving is a damage on your psyche, and one not easily reverted even when you change bodies. Spiritual is the worse, since changing bodies will not help in the least bit. For example, if you permanently tore your astral arm when overgiving in Projection or Flux (or any other disciplines), your physical arm may be fine, but the soul powering it is damaged and therefore... you're screwed.

4) Overgiving is encouraged to be unique on every player. Use your imagination and let your creativity flow!
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Magic questions

Postby Evalin on July 8th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Hello there! I think I can help clear up your questions as well along with Eri's awesome advice :).

1) Flux and nuits do not mix, and the best explanation is this: Nuits would tear their bodies to shreds, and because they can't heal that makes the bodies completely useless to them after the initial mess up. Most nuits understand this, and thus don't even bother to learn flux. What is the point of a magic that destroys the body if it is hard enough to obtain a new body in the first place? That means that ritual that takes almost a full week to do and recover from would have been for nothing.

2) I agree with Eri. Glyphing is more of a support magic than anything else. If you are looking to make your body last longer look into leveling up Embalming, or get a bit more creative with some of the other magics.

3) I am currently playing with another nuit who has overgiven and it affected his psyche before, so that is really the biggest worry for nuits. If they damage their bodies well they figure that they can just get another. Damage their minds, however, and they don't have anything else.

4) /agree with Eri :)

Hope all of that helps XD.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Magic questions

Postby Nas on July 8th, 2012, 3:34 pm

I see it makes sense thanks

Thanks for your answers they were helpfull (i might not create a nuit in the end tho :ninja: requires a bit more finese than i thought).
Bold letters i speak Italics i think Pavi.
Current body:Human 6'5 tall All limbs intact.
Nas
Player

Words: 23205
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Magic questions

Postby Evalin on July 9th, 2012, 1:08 am

Lol nuits are stupidly fragile, but so shall we rule the world despite our weakness! Or at the very least we will quietly enjoy our eternity researching whatever interests us until we get bored and let ourselves die :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)