Ahnatep, Eypharians and Viper Dhanis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Elias on July 15th, 2012, 1:08 am

I'm in the process of creating a Viper Dhani PC and there are certain things bugging me.

1) On the City list page, Ahnatep is said to be "sparsely populated by Eypharians and Dhani."

My question is: How many citizen roam the streets of Ahnatep?

Also, the population is said to be composed of : 70% Eypharians, 15% Viper Dhanis and 15% Other. Are we including the Viper nest here? Because if there's about 200 vipers and they make up about 15%, we end up with a population of...less than 1,400. Is that correct?

2) Crime seems to be a minor issue in Ahnatep, as a result of Pressor Temerun's effort. Can we assume the streets are relatively safe to walk, during daytime? Do the Houses of the Four Winds insure citizen safety near their domain or is it mostly up to the Pressorah's forces?

3) How do the dynamics between the 2 major races play out? I'd say the Eypharians see themselves as the superior ones here. How do they view each other?

4) Where is the nest's approximate location (west of Ahnatep? South?)?

5) My brain seems to associate Dhani and/or snakes to pale complexion. Would a viper living under the hot sun have a skin in colors similar to Eypharians? The lore page on the Dhani states that it is nearly impossible to differentiate a Dhani in human form from a regular human.

6) Is slavery widespread or are there only a few groups dealing in the trade?

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!
Last edited by Elias on July 19th, 2012, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elias
Heroic in his own unique style

Words: 10514
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2011, 6:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Thalia on July 18th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Hey Elias!

I'm a new Eypharian so I probably won't be able to answer your questions as well as, say, Colombina. I can give you my interpretation of the lore & location descriptions for three of the questions, though. Definitely approach Colombina/someone who knows Dhanis about the others.

2. I'd say that if you're pretty much anywhere but the Pillars of Dust, the streets are safe to walk. Jackals are employed in public to keep order, so you'll see them everywhere. The Four Houses will also employ guards to keep their private property safe.

From The Pavilion

Throngs of Jackals patrol the markets daily, keeping general order and preventing blatant theft. The House of the West Winds supplies some of their own guard as well, ensuring that their business remains smooth and intact.

3. Dhani are treated like common Eypharians. The noble families would still look down on them, but they aren't nearly as inferior as humanoid & monstrous races. I'm not sure how the Dhani would view the Eypharians, though.

From Political Hierarchy:
11. All other Eypharians and Dhani.

12. Humanoid races.

13. Monstrous races.

6. I believe that the Slave Market is the monopolizing force behind slavery in Ahnatep. There may be smaller slave rings (possibly in Ahnatep's underbelly), but you'd have to doublecheck that.

From the Lore article on Houses of the Four Winds:

There is little more respectable than stone and salt, but tales abound accrediting the East Winds as the mysterious owners of Ahnatep's slave auction. This Slave Market is considered the only place worth visiting for a living purchase.
Thalia
The Gilded and the jaded.

Words: 8579
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2012, 8:41 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Elias on July 19th, 2012, 4:33 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I've sent a pm to Colombina. Meanwhile, I'm reviewing all the relevant lore articles.
Elias

Character sheet

Postby Colombina on July 19th, 2012, 7:31 am

Thalia has done a lovely job answering these. I will fill in some of the blanks or reaffirm her replies.

1.) Ah, well... you have shown why I am not a mathematician. The city population is actually closer to 5,000, so Dhani make up a much smaller percentage, around 4%. ::discretely edits:: I'm sure it made sense in my head at the time, but many things do that end up being ill-advised.

2.) If you're an Eypharian or a Dhani, you're golden! Lesser races might still get roughed up a bit or moderately swindled, but it's overall safe to walk the streets. The Jackals, Foxes, etc. run a pretty tight ship and personal guards keep the nobles sitting pretty.

3.) Thalia is right. They are at the level of a common Eypharian unless they managed to significantly climb the social ranks. That might give them a little extra push, but deep down, Eypharians still favor their own.

4.) The nest etc. hasn't been developed thoroughly. It's more of a vague "out there". It is in the North, beginning in the Red Rock formations.

5.) I defer to Cay!

6.) In Eyktol, there are various slavers who could be thought of as "wholesalers" and they use the Slave Market in Ahnatep like a department store. Not the most sophisticated metaphor, but it shows that independents are brought together by an entity, but are not directly in its employ. However, it is in the slaver's best interest to keep that entity happy.
There are different levels of enslavement based on race and circumstances of purchase.

Hope that helps!
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Elias on July 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Wonderful! 4% seems much more reasonable. If the nest is included in those numbers, then encountering a Dhani in the streets of Ahnatep would be pretty uncommon, rare even. I'm trying to figure how people are going to react to one's presence.
Elias

Character sheet

Postby Laszlo on July 19th, 2012, 5:57 pm

I wouldn't say that meeting a Dhani is rare, more that most people you meet in Ahnatep are Eypharians or otherwise. As an example, my city has a 5% population of people with Asian ethnic backgrounds, but I still usually see someone every day. 4% doesn't sound like much, so think of it in terms of fractions: 1 in 25 people in Ahnatep are Dhani.
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cayenne on July 19th, 2012, 8:26 pm

5) My brain seems to associate Dhani and/or snakes to pale complexion. Would a viper living under the hot sun have a skin in colors similar to Eypharians? The lore page on the Dhani states that it is nearly impossible to differentiate a Dhani in human form from a regular human.

They tan. They tan quite well. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Elias on July 20th, 2012, 12:40 am

Thank you for all the replies! All questions have been answered for now.
Elias

Character sheet