Closed Running Across the Horizon

[Caehli] To the sea!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Running Across the Horizon

Postby Sphinx on July 27th, 2012, 4:01 am

Summer 75th, 512 AV

The heat of the midday sun was scorching upon the backs of Drykas and trader alike. The sky was cloud less but for a few whisps far to the east, and the Sea of Grass barely trembled at the faintest of breezes. The horses gleamed with sweaty flanks, the taut skin of warriors shimmered as they sparred amongst themselves. All around the tent city of Endrykas there was a sense of lethargy from the heat.

The heat made him think of home.

The man was named Kriks, which sounded funny to the ears of the Drykas, but the high chirps and clicks were what most Inarta could expect to be named. He was a Chiet, a Commoner that had left his city for the opportunity to trade, but out here and so far from home, nobody cared where you stood in your caste. The alien hospitality of people with the wealth of Endal was frightening. He longed for the comfort of home and the sheltering embrace of the volcano's walls. He missed the darkness of Skyinarta, the solitude that could be afforded to one who delved deep in the warrens, where sound echoed with a great fervor through the entire city.

Kriks was not alone in his longing. He had come with his brother and two Avora hunters as bodyguards. In the hushed tones of whispered Nari, they lamented to one another about the openness here. Where were the forests? The swamp? The mountains? Where was the heat of the volcano's womb where they could live in comfort and know their own place in society? The freedom of Endrykas was as harrowing as it was liberating.

They couldn't stand it.

They had been away from Skyinarta for so long, since before the storm even, and the prospect of returning to a home in shambles was heartwrenching to them all.

They had to go home.

It was this day, the one that felt the hottest of all Summer, that they decided to act on their desire. They were packing their bags, purchasing provisions, and searching among the horse clans for those willing to walk over grass, water and stone to accompany the Inarta home. They wouldn't go by the road they had taken, which left them bottled up in the crowded Stormhold Castle while the djed storm raged at the unfairness of it all. They would take a faster route, over the great inland sea.

First, they had to leave Cyphrus, and as they counted up their companions who wished to go, if out of curiosity for the promises of a city of illusion and a city of birds and glass, they awaited the addition of one more to their ranks before they could set off.

Moderator NoteOkay, this thread will chronicle the journey across the Sea of Grass to Riverfall. It will be about a fifteen day journey, I reckon, by horse, which all NPCs and you shall have. First do your introduction post, and then I'll get this show on the road. Enjoy!
Last edited by Sphinx on August 21st, 2012, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sphinx
She smiled, and it was frightening.

Words: 76081
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Office
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 27th, 2012, 5:41 am

Caehli patted Din in assurance as she rode out to the Inarta. She had hoped to catch the traveling party before they left.When she caught word of the Inarta and their adventure she did not hesitate to go after them.As she rode out to the ends of her homeland, The Grasses brushed against her calves in a tender farewell and the winds comfortably whispered at her back.It seemed as though the elements themselves were blessing her travel across the inland sea and beyond. Caehli prayed to Zulrav that he would watch over her and that his wind may guide her on this journey alone.That was if they allowed her to join the traveling party, because it was now or never. This might be her only chance to ever see the world and quench her curiosity of life around her.

As she drew near, Caehli thought back about her father their farewell to each other.

Ganta was tending to his herd faithfully when Caehli rode into camp anxiously. Her dark hair whipped in front of her face as she practically vaulted off Din in excitement. As an ever patient father he greeted Caehli in loving open arms because he already knew her request. His blue eyes crinkled in adoration as he spoke " My daughter, you should take time to braid your hair in proud Drykas fashion" he teased as he smoothed her hair away from her face and knitted brow. "Rest yourself in the grass and I will braid it for you," he said calmly.

Ganta was probably the only one who could ease Caehli to lie still, however she had no time for the Drykas knotwork."Father I heard word that the Inarta are leaving for the inland sea" she declared as he practically forced his own daughter down into the whispering plains.

Ganta chuckled and followed suit of his daughter kneeling down "Yes gossip travels fast in the encampment " his ever tender hands weaving Caehli's dark hair. When her father was lethargic it always made her restless.

"Father I also heard that they are asking for people to join them on their travel home" she quipped as she twiddled with a long piece of grass.Ganta was silent but listened faithfully to his daughter, and so Caehli continued. "They'll take route up through Riverfall ! And then sail the inland sea to Kalea!" Caehli tried to turn her head to meet eye to eye with her father but he placed his large calloused hands on her temples gently preventing her from looking at him.

"Stay still, you're as skittish as a colt" he fussed before continuing his work.

Caehli sighed impatiently "But father I wish to go with them!" she declared.

Ganta replied with a chuckle . "Is that so?" he simpered "I never would have guessed my little one...". His sarcasm was very apparent .

Caehli grimaced " Father I am no longer little, I have lived through eighteen winters and I've had my windmarks since my tenth summer!" she chided.

Ganta squeezed her frail shoulders in remark " You shall always be little to me my dear" and rose from his kneeling position indicating he was done. If you would looked at the back of Caehli's head, braids interlocked each other and entwined themselves into one as a long braid hung down her back. It was actually quite lovely and would draw people in on Caehli's doll like face which was often hidden by her dark wild hair. With that problem subsided Caehli turned to face his father.

She was ready to give him her all when her blue eyes met his own. A clear trail of tears marked his suntanned and crinkled cheeks. "Father..." She was shocked to see a proud warrior crying, afterall this was the first time she saw her father tear up.

He did not answer he but merely gathered his little girl in his arms. " I knew from the first day I saw you swaddled in the grass that you would leave the plains someday" he choked. It seemed silly and almost corny but it made Caehli herself want to cry.

However she was far too proud and stubborn unlike her gentle father. "I promise you that I will return!" she assured. At times like this she really appreciated that she never inherited her father's intimidating and towering height. She didn't mind being so small when she could be bundled up in her father's arms for comfort and support.

Ganta leaned his head on top of his daughters and grinned " Oh I do not doubt that, with your own tales and adventures to tell" .He pulled away and grinned widely "And I do not doubt that prior your arrival the camp will gossip of your return like a herald !" Caehli laughed at the thought, she however was doubtful of such event but let her father keep his fantasy.

She mounted Din and smiled down at her father, " I promise to not undo all your hard work" she said indicating to her beautifully weaved braid. As it was common for Caehli to do so.

Ganta scoffed in response and continued to tend to his herd "Just promise me you'll learn to do it yourself" he harped as a father should.

To prevent from her father seeing her sob Caehli blew a very typical raspberry at her father before riding off. "Farewell " she called behind her now letting her own tears of fear and happiness escape. She knew that her father knew she was crying anyways but did not want to admit defeat and rode off after the Inarta.

Caehli was drawn back to the present when Din whinied assuringly. Ahead of her was the traveling party of Inarta. By squeezing Din's sides gently with her thighs she slowed to a canter. "Ho Inarta!" she called out "Is there room for one more in your traveling party? " she called out. This was only the start of Caehli's adventures.

Special thanks to Gale McCenry for this supermegaawesomefoxyhot signature.
Caehli Galesong
Player

Words: 51148
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2012, 6:57 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Sphinx on August 21st, 2012, 5:46 am

As Caehli approached the Inarta, she could see clearly that they didn't seem so comfortable around the horses as most of their traveling companions were. It could be apparent that the city they hailed from probably had horses few and far between, and this would be true. Wind Reach was unkind to the great hearted beasts the Drykas favoured. Birds, though, found the airy city comfortable.

There were birds with these Inarta now. One of these creatures sat bold and proud on the sontav of the Inarta that Caehli approached. A young woman with hair redder than the brightest clothes of the Ruby pavilion and eyes of clear, sharp gold, the Inarta seemed to have the most hawkish face of her kin present. A hooked nose, an angular face, and fast movements made it apparent that the birds of Wind Reach were her life.

"You want to cross the world with us, Drykas?" She said. The male Inarta called Kriks approached the couple as the female turned to fully face Caehli. A long, hooked blade hung at her waist, strapped along with the bolts of a crossbow. "What do you bring to us? We can not have another mouth to feed added in return for nothing."

"Come on, Suria." Kriks said. "We can use the extra hand, and the company."

Suria scowled at Kriks, the expression turning her gold eyes to a more dire brown shade. She looked back at Caehli and scrutinied the girl closely, sliding her hawkish gaze up and down the Drykas' figure with judgemental detachment. At the end of her hard stare, she met Caehli's eyes.

"What is your name girl?" She demanded. "And my question still stands; what is it that you can offer us in exchange for traveling with us? Skills?"

Kriks sighed and shook his head before walking off, leaving Caehli with Suria.
Sphinx

Office
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caehli Galesong on August 21st, 2012, 6:59 am

Din slowed up and tossed his head wildly snorting in indication to Caehli that they weren't necessarily welcome here. Caehli ignored such warnings and the Inarta's discomfort. Calmly she soothed his mane "Hush now be polite!" she berated gently in his ear. She approached a woman with shocking red hair who was in the very least intimidating.

"You want to cross the world with us Drykas?" She asked in what sounded like an interrogating tone. A man had approached them too but Caehli her attention caught up with the woman. When she turned to face Caehli full front her blue eyes fell upon her deadly blade that hung at her waist. However Caehli wasn't sure if her jaded gaze or the sword was more chilling. Caehli said nothing at first evaluating the woman first.

"What do you bring to us? We can not have another mouth to feed in return for nothing" The woman said sharply. Caehli held back her snarl and her childish desire to mock the woman.

Suddenly the man spoke up vouching for Caehli. She felt thankful and hoped he had caught the appreciative grin and nod to him in thanks.

'So the woman is named Suria, pretty...' Caehli thought absentmindedly but was brought back from her daze with scoff from Suria. Damn the rumor was true red head's were hot tempered! Though her eyes were no longer a cutting topaz but rather a softer brown, she studied Caehli as though she was a specimen of some kind. Not that Caehli could blame her, they were from two different worlds practically and she had done the same earlier.Though Caehli doubt she made similar impression.Suria's eyes met Caehli's in a penetrating gaze.

"What is your name girl" She badgered."And my question still stands; what us ut that you can offer us in exchange for traveling with us? Skills?"

The man huffed and left Caehli to defend herself.However Caehli was not about to back down. This mattered too much for her to back away and she met Suria with a hard stare for only a moment before smiling brilliantly.

If she was gonna do anything she'd kill with kindness. Besides she had to respect whoever was in charge if she wanted to travel to Wind Reach.
"Well for starters I can wield a short bow.I do a fine hunting job, and I ride well. I travel light,quick, and I know the plains like the back of my hand" Caehli had played in the Grasses as a child after all. The geography was more than familiar but rather memorized.

"Also...anything you ask of me I will do. I will try my damnest to not get in the way. You have my word and my loyalty" she vowed. Her gaze was unwavering hoping that she had proven herself serious to the ruby haired warrior.

Special thanks to Gale McCenry for this supermegaawesomefoxyhot signature.
Caehli Galesong
Player

Words: 51148
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2012, 6:57 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Sphinx on October 3rd, 2012, 11:38 pm

"Oh, a hunter and an archer? We have many of those already, just among our numbers alone. It's not a bad thing, to have yet another join, but are you ready to take the life of another human should we be attacked?" Suria's gold eyes hardened into shards of tawny ice as she focused on the girl before her. The fact stood that Caehli had failed to introduce herself, and Suria awaited her name. Whether it was given or not, her impression of the other woman wasn't entirely flattering.

If Caehli were willing to take the life of another human, Suria would allow her to join them on this journey. They couldn't take care of her, coddle her, or shield her from danger. In Wind Reach, the children grew up fast and learned their place in the world. Suria would make sure Caehli knew her own place among their group willingly or not. The reward for the treatment would be well worth it to the Drykas girl, hopefully, but that could be seen to at the end of the journey.

It was a given that they could probably use someone who knew the plains, but already they had several Drykas among their number. Someone who was willing to do whatever she asked though? That was a great benefit, without a doubt, and one that she would be willing to accept any time. That didn't exempt Caehli from having to prove herself to them before total acceptance, however. Suria had a need for perfection.

Suria gestured for Caehli to follow her, turning to introduce her to her comrades. These Inarta were a hodgepodge of castes, a mix of falconers, hunters, archers, glassworkers and metalsmiths alike. They had found willing customers in Endrykas and Riverfall where they sold their baubles, exotic furs, and whatever else they'd brought to sell for a high price.

All of them had that distinguished red hair but for one, a rangy man with hair nearly black and the strong muscle definition of a blacksmith. Their eyes were in ranges of blues and greens but for Suria, whose yellow eyes were revered back home for their resemblance to the eyes of the giant eagles.

"Caehli, these are Tsal, Kriks, Kusanna, Tiet. They are citizens of Wind Reach and, as of now, employers to you and the others who decided to come with us." Kriks nodded at Caehli with something of a smile, although Suria was watching with that unpleasant glare of hers. "Tsal, round them all up. It's time for us to stop sitting around and get going."

She turned and looked again at Caehli. "Get your horse loaded with some of our gear and saddle up. We leave in fifteen chimes with or without you."
Sphinx

Office
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes