Quest Anything the Light Touches (Nashira)

... What about that Shadowy Place?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Anything the Light Touches (Nashira)

Postby Fallacy on November 6th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Before Arven could answer Raen cut in, smirking, ”Of course I knew all along the light wasn’t gone forever.” he claimed, ”It was such a silly notion.” he said his voice filled with confidence and prestige, ”It was this fool right here” he pointed to Arven, ”who told everyone an endless darkness had befell the world.” he explained simply, ”He is the priest of the temple after all.” he said looking at him, the man Arven shrinking a little at the accusation, but he wasn’t denying anything.

”Yes, weird Ethaefal, it was I that told everyone its much safer in the temple of our goddess where the last ray lies.” he said, ”Or what I thought was the last ray of light.” he said, sounding a little bit defeated. ”But yes, there are others in the temple. The only light guiding them in there is the single ray held within the upmost part of the temple.” he tried to explain, ”Though I had hope, I prayed that what was our existence wasn’t the truth. I prayed to Syna, even if she be dead, she would be the oonly goddess my prayers would go to.” he told her, ”It seems she has answered them within you. The gods work in weird ways, yes? Sometimes it’s like they are doing nothing at all.”

”You see, in the darkness of the Valterrian, the goddess herself gifted our temple with a grand light. It has been the only light we have seen in quite a long time. I urged everyone to stay inside the safety of the temple. Most died of hunger and starvation, but they returned as spirits, although some left to be returned to the cycle. Perhaps you, Ethaefal, in one of your many past lives spent it dying in this temple.” A grim thought indeed, but nonetheless something to ponder, ”I had foolishly thought that an endless shadow had fell over the land because our temple was once above ground, where the glory of syna could always touch it.” he said, ”But now the truth is spared onto me, by you. It was not a darkness of the land without Syna, but the mere darkness of a cave we dared not venture out.”

”But now… there is nothing holding me back, nothing holding us back,” the priest turned to Raen, ”You must free the other spirits like you did us. This was surely what Syna sent you here to do.” There were more words, but the ghost was fading, fading and returning to the cycle, once again ready for reincarnation. Soon the only thing which remained of the two was a small, but ornate key dropped by the priest. The key was gold, the Bow was in the shape of a sun, the shank looking like a firey ray of the sun itself, and the bit wavered in an intricate pattern, the entire pin made of a fine well-crafted tri-edged ruby. The point sticking out looking almost dangerous.

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nashira on November 7th, 2012, 4:35 am

Shira's heart stopped at the admittance; but soon enough, it had regained its endless beat. Drumming out a tune by which Arven could utter the last of his words before returning to the cycle with his long time companion, Raen. She sighed, as she watched the light that surrounded them fade, as had their flickering forms. "Why is it they never stay to answer any questions?" she muttered under her breath as she came forward to the sound of the ornate key clattering against a bed of uneven terrain; hard grey rock. Her molten amber eyes grazed over its length; the soft gold sparkling in the sunlight. The bow a mirror of her goddess' image, or at least that which was shown to man. The rest the radiance she admitted.

The Ethaefal smiled weakly as she bent to retrieve the key. Allowing it to pass between her shimmering fingers; which easily soaked up its peculiar warmth. "It is just like you," Shira whispered as she closed her eyes, and brought the key to her lips, kissing it lightly before she tucked it away in her pocket for safe keeping. She stood silently then, as the wind blew, tousling her hair as she opened her eyes and soaked in the view; refreshed and restored. Replaying the voices of each ghost. Their twisted words; endlessly, until she could stand it no longer. She was going to have to return.

Sighing, Nashira turned to the cave's mouth, and took the few paces needed to close the distance that rested between them. Once there she stopped to take a deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth to prepare herself. Well, here goes, she thought as she crossed the threshold into the cave. From the world of light to one of endless darkness.

With arms outstretched, nails digging into stone black as night, the Ethaefal managed to make her way along. If not painfully slowly. "Hello!" she called after a time, having felt that she had gone the same distance as before. That she was near the place where she had met the ghost of the priest and his companion. "Others?" she called as her brow furrowed, and her hands settled against twisted knobs of stone.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Words: 145229
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2011, 12:07 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallacy on November 7th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Back into the world of darkness she descended the caves uneven and dangerous floor slowed her descent into the other world, one of darkness and shadow, one where light is only present in this shrine somewhere. The cave was moist, but the shadows stagnant. It would be easy to lose track of time in such a place where night and day couldn’t be measured by the passing of the sun and the moon. Still the Ethaefal descended into the darkness, once again, to fulfill the ghosts wish, or perhaps it was to fulfill her fate?

This dark world would be much different than the one she knew in the light above, where the sun was promised to come again when the darkness of Leth descended upon the land, the two lovers caught in an endless cosmic dance whose tune and pace was dictated by lady time. Breaking the metronome of droplets falling onto the cavern floor pierced a lone voice calling for others. It echoed throughout the cave, and soon fell into silence. When she kept walking she would again, almost bump into the strange wall again, of which she met the first two ghosts.

Slowly as if in response to her presence the wall caved inward, allowing her access much like a door would. Though the portal was darkness, but something stirred in the shadows. The clicking of rocks hitting rocks could be heard in the distance, but the noise slowly got closer and closer. Click. Click. Click. A pebble landed by her feet. Then, pow, a pebble hit her square between the eyes, landing on the floor, creating another click, ”If from the darkness you come, leave.” a voice said, ”For we will not be handing over the light for which was gifted to us, monster.”

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nashira on November 7th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Nashira's brow furrowed, several lines etching across her formerly smooth, shimmering skin. Tinted pink among other sunny colors. A sharp pain coursed through the rippling lines as she forced her flesh to ease with the falling of the pebble. The second delicate click as it made contact with the uneven floor of the cave. Her right hand raising, until it met with her skin. Fingers pushing against it so as to assuage the pain through momentary massage as her hand was returned to her side so that her eyes may gain favor. Take in the light emitted from the parting of the cavern doors, as well as the sight of ferns, and perhaps another of the ghosts.

"It is not from the darkness that I have travelled, but by light's side," Nashira responded as she look a step forward, towards the sound of the ghost's voice. "The others have sent me back to this place from beyond these walls to show you the glory that is Syna. They have returned to the cycle of their own accord, and wish that I help you to find your own peace. Your own way back." She paused a moment, considering how best to proceed. How to play her hand at cards; whilst her lips grasped for the proper words.

Listen, her hypnotic djed insisted as she stood her ground. Tall and mute. And trust in the words. Believe them; for they are no lie.

Nashira licked her lips, wetting the splits that ran through the plump outer portions. "They have asked that you be shown the sun; for she has returned." She paused again. "You could see it, if only you'd care to follow... it will be the final gift given to you, so that your hearts may be at rest. So that your eyes may finally shut tight; leaving the living alone to guard this sacred place." Again she fell silent as she listened to raindrops falling off the cave's walls. Cascading into puddles with a dull plop.

I hold the key.

All you have to do is follow me.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallacy on December 6th, 2012, 4:05 pm

After all was said and done there would a moment of silence. This moment seemed to stretch time itself, seeming to last longer than it did. It was that illusion which was the birth of the careful scrutiny which the ghost placed upon the woman’s words. Every word was weighed on the ghosts scale, and although trapped in this reality, unable to let go for mourning the lost goddess, the ghost looked on. Another moment passed before the ghost came into view, ”So those two finally passed on?” she asked as if Nashira was going to change her story.

The ghost came closer and closer and eventually a faint and ethereal outline of an older maiden, the kind that had borne many children, old, but not too old as to be wrinkly. The warm mothery looking type. Her face was kind looking with the showing of some wrinkles, after all none can combat times aging, at least the humans had no hope. Attire was simple, a gown with an apron tied before it. A bun was on her head, tied tightly without any loose ends. She looked like the type who would make a lot of pies and set them on the windowsill to cool. ”And you say Syna has returned to us?” Now the ghost was about ten feet away, but in an instant, a blink of an eye, the lady was almost nose to nose with the Ethaefal, looking deep into her eyes. Nashira could see her expression but also beyond it, and further into the cave.

”Very well,” the ghost backed off, ”you are not lying child. I can see it in your eyes.” though if it was a product of her hypnotism, the magic that bended minds by allowing the manipulation of thought and memory, was questionable. It didn’t seem like the ghost even knew that the djed had hit her. Was everyone in this place magic inept? Arven and Raen didn’t seem to know it either, or if they did they didn’t say a thing. ”There are others that will want to hear what you have to say.” she said, ”Come.” she invited the eth to follow her as she lead the way down the passageway. It wasn’t entirely dark, no, for light shown just beyond a bend in the caverns.

Taking the bend the full temple would come into view. It wasn’t anything huge, but it wasn’t small at the same time. Modest, white and stricken with gold patterns up the walls. In fact gold might be inlayed within the building. White cobblestone paths crisscrossed the entrance leading to many different buildings, but a white archway granted entrance to the temple itself. A small square looking building with a tower jutting out the center; from the top of the tower shined a light which mimicked sunlight, it was sunlight, as grass and ferns and even a tree bearing fruit were to be seen. A small canal had been dug through the cave, snaking its way through the place and then going back further into the cave, into the shadows where the light couldn’t travel. This place was a small paradise created by Syna.

The ghost led her past the white archway, the cobblestones feeling smooth and looked almost polished. Grass grew between them, but it wasn’t too tall nor were there bare spots. Everything seemed perfect. This was a place forgotten by time, an unnatural energy could be felt in the air, djed, as Nashira would recognize. It was thick here, and perhaps it was this manifestation of power which had kept this place pristine with the ghosts guarding it. If the Ethaefal would look around she would see whisps of soulmist dart about, ghosts were already aware of her presence. Stopping before the temple, the lady ghost turned and raised her hands, ”My friends,” she started, ”Arven and Raen have passed on after seeing the goddesses return.” she announced the good news, ”This child says that she comes from the lights side and she wants to show us our goddess again.” she smiled saying this, ”Syna has returned.” she told them, ”Tell them child.” she urged her, ”Tell them what you preach.”

At the lady ghosts voice, more and more ghosts started to gather around her. More and more coming out of seemingly nowhere, surrounding, looking at the Ethaefal. Mutterings occurred as the Lady ghost fell silent, they were a little apprehensive of the horns which the strange living creature donned. Whispers of various kinds, both of shock and belief though there was an equal amount of disbelief too… What would she do?

Fallacy

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nashira on December 7th, 2012, 3:01 am

Nashira nodded to both of the ghost's questions, as her eyes took note of the light that filtered through her flickering transparency. The way it seemed to caress the old ghost's form rather delicately, as the edges of her body rippled. As though she were the smoke of a candle, disturbed by an entity's passing through the swirling tendrils of soft grey. As she floated closer to her, the Ethaefal thought she could feel the air cooling, as though with her distant breath, as her own caught in her throat, and her heart proceeded to beat a little faster. She could see into the depths of the ghost's eyes as she peered into molten amber, and then past them, into what she felt was the lost temple's heart and soul. "Why would I lie to you?" Nashira asked, as she felt the full weight of the woman's scrutiny beginning to recede as she turned away to lead her further into the cavern. For a few moments, the Ethaefal watched her silhouette fading into the distant, before her legs began to move, as if by their own accord. The right foot leading, the left following slowly, as though she were taking measured, cautious steps.

For once in her life, as opposed to allowing her gaze to wander and take in all of her surroundings to their fullest extent, Nashira kept her eyes largely trained on the ghost's back until a time when she came to a stop, hovering a mere few inches above the ground as cool wisps of white fluttered around her. As though they were moths drawn to a flame. She smiled uneasily as her hand fell to the rounded top of Caleb's old sword, the tips of her fingers dangling over the side, nearing the dark wire hilt. The Ethaefal listened to the older ghost, speaking proudly. Joyously, intently. She was happy for her, she supposed, and for them all, if only they would listen to her, because she knew they would now be able to move on, and yet, there was a part deep within her that stirred. A space in the pit of her stomach that felt of foreboding and spoke of unease. Stepping forward as she was addressed by the older ghost, Nashira forced herself to widen her smile and push the feelings aside. Why shouldn't she after all, when she had no idea where they came from, and if there was any real reason as to why they should be there?

The Ethaefal took a single, deep cleansing breath in through her nose and out through her mouth before she began to speak. "Everything she says is true," Nashira began. "Arven and Raen have returned to the cycle of their own accord, after having seen the light that lingers outside these doors. The light that belongs to Syna and no other." She paused a moment considering her words, as a ghost's chilling air radiated down the length of her exposed flesh. "If only you would all follow me, you could see it for yourselves. You could move on, and be at peace just as they are now." Again the Ethaefal fell silent a moment, allowing her words to settle over the gathering dead. "Won't you come with me?" she asked. Won't you take a look? the magic asked before all grew silent and still within her.

Come.

The air grew to be even colder.

Please come.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallacy on January 12th, 2013, 10:29 am

There was a quiet mumbling among the ghosts as they listened to the Eth-creature talk. When she finished there was low rumble of voices all mixed together, talking amongst each other? The revelation of Syna, she has returned, was sinking into them. Countless ages of darkness, the temple being their only light, it would only be natural that the ghosts were comfortable here and there for reluctant to leave. Though with such honey sweet words, a choice was presented to the restless spirits attached still to this world after five hundred years in morn to their dead goddess. The darkness had grasped and chained their souls to this location, they all silently hoping and taking an unspoken oath to dwell within the last light of their beloved Goddess, only a fragment of her power residing there.

Soon the muttering came to a close and the ghosts had made their decision. They would follow the strange one to once again see their goddess. Nodding they all agreed to follow her, some more reluctant than others, but the living here represented hope. Something which they haven’t had in a long, long time; hope was present, it was almost a tangible energy within the air, and the wheels of change were once again turning… It seems more than one god has a role in this deliverance. Though the woman’s hypnotic power also influenced situation, her own will further permeating the situation and will of her newfound followers.

And so once more Nashira found herself leading the way out of the cave, away from the temple of Syna, away from the only light the ghosts have known for quite some time. As she lead them into the shadows with the promise of once more seeing their goddesses light pure and true, the shadows themselves seemed to shift. A trick of the eye or from lack of the light could not be told, but whatever it was the Ethaefal found herself leading on, more intent on fulfilling her promise to the ghosts than to ponder whatever was lurking in the darkness. If anything. She had traversed this cave many times today; one would think that if there was something it would have revealed itself by now.

Soon enough though the light of day shown through and penetrated the caves darkness. At the first sign of light in the dreary cave some of the ghosts rushed out hurriedly with shouts of joy. There was a visible change in the atmosphere a happiness filled every fiber of the place. If one didn’t know better, they would suspect magic was at work. Though, then again, isn’t feeling magical enough? Happiness almost choked the air as more and more of the cold spirits rushed passed her as she led on. The light of Syna has returned, truthfully! Each, without fail, started to slowly fade away, like a memory, accepting their fate and moving onto the next life.

Nashira didn’t get to see most of them pass on, because as she was just exiting the cave there were few left. They had left without saying anything, their joyous celebration instead ringed through the air. Not words, no, but pure emotion, pure joy, pure love for their goddess. More and more ghosts appeared out of the caves, each quickly following each other to their collective Fate. One ghost however stopped, looked kind of disturbed, and turned to Nashira, ”Lady, we were not kidding when we said the outside is a dangerous place.” she said, ”Though sometimes what lies within can be more dangerous than any monster.” She was going to say more, but she disappeared before then, unable to hold her existence to the mortal plane anymore.

Now she once again found herself alone, a strange message received, gold key on her person. Was there more to do? Something felt off, was there something left undone? Where does this key actually go? An urge to reenter the cave once more, one of exploration filled her. Would she once again return to the temple or go on her way here?

Fallacy

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nashira on January 14th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Nashira turned to face the pale visage of the ghost. Her skin, as pasty as a bread's flour. The edges of her form rippling softly; matching the pattern of waves crashing endlessly into the shore. "I know," was all she managed to whisper in response to the ghost's words before she faded away. Leaving the wind to brush over her sparkling flesh along. To rustle her hair enough that it tangled in the Ethaefal's horns. As a sense of emptiness washed over her, Nashira cast her gaze toward the grey rock, and turned her head so that she was staring just in front of her step.

Now what is there to do? Nashira asked herself. Where is there to go? There was a pause. Only forward, or back again. And she wanted to go back, she wanted to see something for herself. So, after taking a deep cleansing breath in through the nose, and out through her mouth, she turned to face the cave. Its crooked mouth silent, mocking her as she raised her amber eyes and strode forward. Past it; into it.

She allowed it to swallow her. Its cool breath to kiss her flesh. To cause it to sting as Syna's memory began to fade; her continual presence. "Where are you?" Nashira whispered, but whom she questioned seemed so unclear. Was she asking after lingering ghosts? The goddess, or perhaps something she thought she had seen for a brief moment earlier in the day?

The Ethaefal's right hand remained poised upon the old sword, her eyes at the darkness that veiled the curvature in the rock ahead of her. The left hand rested against her pocket. Pressing the key against her skin; keeping it from stirring uneasily. Jostling her skin.

All the more, as she crept deeper and deeper into the cave, Nashira wondered what in the world it was for.

What it was used to open.

And if such a secret was better left to the ghosts; the dead.

Buried.

OOCLead me dear Fallacy, into madness...
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallacy on March 11th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Descending once more into the darkness of the cave which wasn’t as dark as it once seemed as there was a light within, and that light was the temple which the restless spirits guarded. It was the last light to those ghosts who had looked to Syna for shelter during the Valterrian. It was the last and purest light, and it guided their thoughts and minds, and now the temple itself freed from the ghosts grasp seemed to call to the one who unbound it. There was more to discover than ghosts and light within the temple. So much more, and not all material. There were answers to questions and questions for answers, but the Eth wouldn’t know that quite yet.

No, because for now she walked through the darkness, a confident stride was met with a stable mind as the many trips in and out of the cave have given her a mental map of the places where she had last visited. She could see, but more importantly, she knew the light which awaited her at the end of her journey. The holy land which she sought was so secretly hidden from sight within the mountains of Kalea. So perfectly hidden, so preserved, so loved… or perhaps it was once loved? No, it is still loved by the Eth who walks towards it even now. She was a lover of the light, a lover of Syna, and the goddess loved her back.

Cold echoes reached her ears as her steps vibrated through the cave, the sound bouncing and returning to her from all directions. With each step she would feel lighter and lighter, her spirits lifted, the sight of the temple inspiring the joyous feeling. The light radiated and protected them all from the darkness of night, but even light cast a shadow.

The key in her possession seemed to glow now too the closer and closer she got to the god-granted place. The holy ground, and past the arc of stone, walking past the collapsing pillars, the river flowed gently, snaking between her and her goal. She felt drawn to the place, and through the doors, decaying with age, but the gold instilled in the wood still held its splendor. Within there were pews, lined neatly, a sun dial was present in the center of the room, above it the ceiling gave way only revealing the rocky cave which enclosed the place. Perhaps, once upon a time, the sun would have told the time of day.

Yet not even here was her destination. A door, small and unassuming, caught her sight. Drawn to it she was, or perhaps it was divine guidance. Hand opening the door revealing a set of spiraling stairs, there would be lead to the top of the bell tower of which held the splendor of the last light which the ghosts coveted so dearly…

Reaching the top she would come upon a cage of gold, the bars descending from the towers ceiling to the floor. More bars crisscrossed and intersected each other in random patterns, and there was no door to be seen. Then again the light which spewed from the cage was of such intensity that she dare not look too long, and even when she did it would hurt her eyes.

From behind her she would hear a voice, and if she looked she would see another ghost. This one was different from the rest. Her body seemed to glow slightly brighter than the rest of the ghosts, her features more defined, her garments were rich and seemed to be made of some expensive silk the colors however faded with the mist which surrounded her. Though one could probably tell she was an important person in life, ”Why have you returned here?” the question was simple, but what was the answer?

Fallacy

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nashira on March 11th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Nashira turned, her fingers falling against the hilt of her sword; nails digging into the thin crevices cast between strips of dark wire. They seemed to grate as the rest of her body froze, breath catching in her throat as her eyes widened to meet the latest ghost. To graze over her lazily, too tired to truly take in the detail of her garb, the spice of her features.

"There was much I wanted to know," the Ethaefal answered in a voice little more than a whisper. "What this place was, in all of its splendor for one... what this key belonged to... what this shadow was." She paused. "Something glimpsed when the others still remained. When shadows seemed to flee because the ghosts blocked the light."

"Or perhaps, didn't allow for enough to pass through them."
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext