[Sanctuary] Complete Trust (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Elem Bree on August 18th, 2012, 7:07 am

78th of Summer, AV 512

Elem had slept so soundly one may have thought him dead, but he was alone so it made little difference. After days and nights doing what passed for sleep on the ground or on a rolling, bumping wagon, a bed was so, so good. The sights of the majesty that was Riverfall had been appealing, but once he had arrived, his body asked him politely for rest. He listened and quickly made his way to sleep. The wagon driver had been gracious, for a gold miza, to keep Elem's belongings at the wagon overnight. Always one to put work before pleasure, the young man rose and bathed, washed his one set of clothes he had and once they were fairly dry, left the Inn to seek out employment.

After speaking to a guard about where healers went, there seemed to be two options. Gilla Medical Center and the Sanctuary. While the main medical facility of the city seemed like the obvious choice, Elem chose the Sanctuary. He liked the name for one. For two, there were animals there. Ever since he had tended to Ndale in her natural state, he had always hoped he would have the opportunity to treat more animals. After all, they were not able to speak of their pains and ills so readily as the two legs were. He remembered, as he headed in the direction of the place, how frightened Ndale was when he found her in his cottage. It wasn't until she became a naked woman that he had any clue what the problem was. His mind began to wander further so he silenced it and enjoyed the scenery.

As he approached the low set of buildings which sat on the edge of the Sea, he felt a stirring within. He kissed his Mother's mark, knowing full well that She had placed him here. All would be well now. No more worrying and wringing of hands. Only Love. Inhaling deeply, Elem ascended the stairs into the main clinic. The waiting room was empty, which he felt was a blessing, since it meant for the moment that no one was injured. Regardless of their species. The room was well designed for his needs, as he had only to wait.
Last edited by Elem Bree on August 31st, 2012, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elem Bree
Always learning. Always changing.

Words: 229116
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2011, 6:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kavala on August 18th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Kavala was right in the middle of doing something she probably shouldn't have been doing. She was perched up on top of the wall staring at it from a birds eye point of view. She'd periodically move along the thick structure, jumping up to walk ten feed in one direction or another - adjacent to the horse gates - and kept settling again looking things over. She had a perfectly good view of the surrounding areas and the man on foot approaching. But she seemed to be less concerned with him than she was with the current puzzle.

Pigeons. They were roosting everywhere and leaving their droppings. It was becoming frustrating to the point where Kavala was getting fanatical about how to keep them off the wall and thus the wall pigeon dropping free. There had to be something she could do to get them to move from perching on the wall to perching in the trees that surrounded the Sanctuary in the Fringe Forest. Even the paddocks on either side of the facility contained large trees perfect for pigeon roosts. But no... they were picking her new wall.

When the man paused at the gates, Kavala called down to him.

"Hello there. I'll be with you momentarily unless you've an emergency. You don't happen to know anything about pigeons do you? Most specifically how to keep them off things do you?" She asked, her voice a pleasant alto that fell down around the gate area like smooth chocolate rain. "If you do, come on in and come on up. There's a ladder on the inside of the gate. Maybe you have some ideas." She added. There would indeed be a ladder on the inside. It was leaning against the enormous wall that surrounded the compound made of solid continuous rock. The wall itself was eight feet thick and twenty feet in the air, imposing, though more obvious to keep out predators than men. It's top had a walkway all the way around with chest high walls for defensive positions. There were ramps and stairways down at the corners of the walls, making for easier climbing than the ladder. Which, under expert scrutiny, didn't look too sturdy.
Last edited by Kavala on August 19th, 2012, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elem Bree on August 19th, 2012, 2:43 am

Looking up, Elem noticed a rather vibrant Konti perched on the wall above him . He was suddenly quite thankful that she appeared benign. There was a genuine feeling of readiness in Riverfall. For war? With whom, he wondered. His hands on his hips, the Rak'kelian surveyed the wall, eying the ladder. It could probably take a well toned Kontinese frame, but his own large size might make it a short climb. Sucking his teeth slightly and covering his eyes with his hand, he looked at the shapely silhouette without looking so much at the wall.

"You know, pigeons don't care for spices at all. At the University, we often had to combat their roosting. We used pungent spices. Cayenne, peppers of any sort, cinnamon. They don't care a bit for it. If you have any problems beyond that, just throw some water on them from time to time. They'll understand that this area isn't friendly. " He removed the hand from his brow, approaching a few feet short of the wall and its own percher. " I'm Elem Bree of Zeltiva. I am a healer and devotee of Rak'keli. The guards mentioned this place and Gilla. I chose this place, mostly for the animals. I treated Kelvic in the University Infirmary and it was fascinating."

Stepping back, he smiled at the muscular Konti. She was definitely a contrast to any he had seen before. He hoped she had room for his apothecary.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kavala on August 19th, 2012, 5:18 am

Kavala tended to be a bit bossy. When she requested something, she was used to having people jump to fulfill the request. It wasn't that she was arrogant or was raised as nobility. It was just that as a healer in charge of the Sanctuary, there was a chain of command and beckoning someone to assist usually meant they did. When the man opted not to climb the ladder, she had to smile. He wasn't one to be pushed around, for certain, though at the same time he was still plenty helpful.

"Spices? I would have never thought of that." She said, surveying the wall. "It's a long wall though. Miles. How much would we need? I don't have the coin to afford pounds of it to scatter all over, especially if the wind will take it. And no one's got water to spare this time of year to keep spraying them. If it rains they vanish only to return as soon as things dry out." The Konti said, looking around thoughtfully. She finally wandered over to the ladder, neatly descended it, and came to rest lightly on her feet near where Elem stood. She brushed off her hands and offered one to him. "Kavala Denusk, Sapphire Clan, Animal Healer here at Sanctuary." She said, offering him a smile and a slight bow.

"I can feel your mark."
She said, knowing he too could feel hers. "You are in good company here if you want to help The Sanctuary. We're about to open a school to train animal and kelvic healers. And we can always use more help around the clinic. Are you interested in a job?" She asked, hopeful and cautious at the same time.

Kavala was tall for a konti, standing 5'6", but she was by no means his height. She guessed him around six foot if not taller and indeed big for a human. That made her cautious, though she tried to hide her unease with the human. There weren't many around Sanctuary, though not for Kavala's lack of recruitment. She was trying, in her own right, to diversify the facility to get all sorts of people in place with a vast array of experiences.

"Will you tell me about yourself Elem? We have several openings at the current time for staff, since we are in a building and expanding mode. What are your skills and do you have any magic?"
She asked.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on August 19th, 2012, 9:47 am

Elem also looked over the length of the walls. "Well, the easy fix would be to just place the spices near the food or water source the pigeons are seeking. You can also monitor and remove nests as they appear. No need to protect parts of a wall that no one is near, right?" He could feel a mutual respect growing. he certainly had it for her prowess and he hoped she had it for him, due to his tact and aid.

His eyebrows perked as his interest was piqued. Sapphire Clan? he was curious. I have heard of a diamond clan before. Does that make you a warrior? I met one from Cyphrus in Zeltiva. Sort of spurned me to head in this direction anyway, to see the lands of her stories." He appreciated her bold and true demeanor. It was so much more easy than trying to decipher shady agendas. "A job would be excellent. I am fairly skilled in the medical arts, though I did not train at the University for a long time. I also can garden and use herbs for poultices and tinctures and the like." He liked the idea of entering this place during a time of expansion.

" I'm not much of a cook, I'll admit. But I made my own meals at home, anyway. Sadly, I cannot ride a horse or swim. Two things I believe will be necessary around here. It also seems to me that many here are trained to fight. It's how it feels to me, anyway. I don't really have any talents there, either. basically herbal remedies, medical procedures and healing via Mother."
He put his hands in his pockets, a question of his own burning in his mouth.

"Would there be room for my apothecary and study? I brought much of my equipment on the wagon with me. Lost a few jars and flasks due to the wagon jostling about." He smiled and had a sure belief that it would work out one way or another. her last question was an afterthought. "oOh, and I have never practiced magic, that I am aware of. I am open to learning whatever I need to, however." He smiled and looked at the wall.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kavala on August 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Kavala smiled, glancing at the wall. "That would work, I supposed, if they only defecated where they ate. But unfortunately they perch all along the top of the wall and make a mess of the whole length of it with their droppings regardless of where the food and water is. If only I could get a few owls to hang out up there during the day to talk them out of it." She sighed, knowing spreading spices at feeding places and watering places wouldn't work since there were neither on top of the wall. They'd make sure of that. A solution would come to her, sure enough... even if...

Kavala started to smile. Pigeons weren't that smart. She couldn't get real owls to perch up there, but perhaps she could make stone ones with reimancy and place along the walls. They wouldn't even have to look too much like real owls because pigeons had tiny little brains. They just had to look closely enough like them, perhaps even in the same shape, that she could get them to be fooled.

Glancing back at Elem, she nodded to what he was saying. "All Drykas are warriors. If you spend any time on the Sea of Grass you'd know that. Life here in Cyphrus isn't easy. We train so we can survive. My clan is a clan of mages, known for their abilities to wield djed. I must have inherited my gifts from my father, since my Konti mother was no mage at all, though she was a warrior healer in her own right. All of Riverfall is like that - warriors and something else. If you are human and living within Riverfall or its protection, which we are here in The Sanctuary even though we are outside the city gates by a few miles, then you are considered a Kuvan or a citizen. The city requires all adults here to be employed and competent in at least one weapon or martial arts style. I believe that's law eight and nine of the ten laws. It is because Riverfall has no army other than its citizens, and we can be called upon at any time to defend the city if it becomes necessary. It has become necessary before." She added, looking serious for a moment.

"That's why Sanctuary has been rebuilt with such high walls too. We need them to defend ourselves against the land and the creatures that roam it. To an outsider it might seem a bit much, but if you live here a season or more you will understand." Kavala assured him, looking thoughtfully at the man.

"We have extensive laboratories, most of which are empty currently. We've just built some of them so your knowledge and equipment would be more than welcome. We have a main philtering lab which we make all our medicines and such in... but it still has lots of room for more equipment and bodies. Would you like to see it?"
She asked, glancing back up at the wall and then carefully moving to the ladder to maneuver it so it was no longer leaning against the stone wall but resting beside it stretched out along the ground. She then closed the gates, fastening them securely, and waited for his answer.

If he gave his consent she'd take him on a tour.

She remained quiet as he gave his own personal assessment. It seemed fairly delivered with a tinge of honesty and humility. He was a big man, but he seemed rather soft and intelligent, as if he'd spent time in a city rather than learning to survive. Kavala rather thought, just by this first meeting and assessment that life here would be good for him.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on August 19th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Elem couldn't help but smile as well. He could see the gears turning in the woman's head. This was obviously her home and she knew well enough what to do with it. He was the guest here and he would behave in such a manner. He folded his hands behind his back and listened on. She explained the duties of a citizen, which Elem would be, if he were not considered one already. He nodded in assent to himself, his mind trying to wrap around the concept of a suitable weapon or style, as it were.

"I'm perfectly capable and willing to work as well as defend myself or others. I would not draw first blood, as it is my oath to Mother to right the wrong after, as I am sure you well know." He could feel the essence of Rak'keli in his benefactor, though he believed this one more intimately touched than he. "Perhaps an ensnaring weapon such as a whip, or I could use a whip. Or an unarmed grappling style. I may need a referral to someone who could train me.' He snickered for a moment. "Being a healer in the midst of battle requires an ability to defend oneself at the very least, I imagine."

He stood and waited for direction, very happy that all seemed well and safe here, for the most part. " I never trained in Philtering, so perhaps i could trade my medical and herbal training for Philtering? Anyway, please, enough about me. Let's hear about this place and this City of which I am to be a ..Kuvan." His body posture indicated his readiness to listen and follow.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kavala on September 30th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Kavala smiled slightly. She was glad the man wasn't opposed to finding a weapon he'd like nor meeting the expectations of Riverfall. Even though the city hadn't been the fairest to her, Kavala knew that the Council was right making all the citizens be its defenders. "You'll be able to find someone to train you in whatever weapon you pick within the city. You just need to make polite inquiries and you'll probably be able to trade medicines for the training rather than paying coin. The Akalak are really big on bartering and trading skills. Coin is not so important to them as it is in some cities. And you'll find them fair." She said softly, nodding.

"Once your a Kuvan, things will be even easier. Besides, learning to fight Elem will help you in your healing. And sometimes you will need to draw first blood. If you have been in Zeltiva your whole life, you will not understand perhaps how rough the world is and how vulnerable we are as people. Everything beyond these walls can and will hurt us. Every time I let the herds out to graze I am risking them, but I cannot keep them confined here. My breeding program depends on a few individuals, but those individuals are closely guarded. Sometimes I ride out with them, othertimes others do. You'll likely take a turn at riding with the herd and you'll see then how sometimes first blood must be yours. Pick a ranged weapon to learn as well, for sooner or later, it will save your life." Kavala said, glancing back up at the walls, her bird problem and nodding.

"Being a healer is a special thing. It is a honor from our Goddess Rak'keli. But devoting yourself exclusively to healing limits you in that very healing, incredibly so. You'd to well to learn Philtering and other ways to make medicine. Herbalism will help you a great deal too. The herbs here on the grasses are not the herbs in Zeltiva. And while the practical knowledge is the same - how to make a tincture, balm, politice, infusion - it's not going to be the same for every plant or every situation. Healers must be ultimately flexible. And as much as you know how to heal, Elem, here you will need to know how to kill. For if you are threatened and you must defend yourself, the dead will not compulse you to heal them. They dead will lie still and threaten you and yours no more." She said firmly, knowing it needed to be said to him.

"Ready for the tour?" She asked, turning. Kavala lead Elem through the rubble to where the stakes and flags promised only dreams of the future for Sanctuary. She pointed out rubble piles and told him what they used to be and what they would soon be again. Most of the rubble would disappear into the making of new walls and the erecting of the clinic, barns, stables, etc. She showed him everything above ground, the utter destruction and that nothing was left at all.

Then, very carefully, she lead him into the Within and into the promise of what was going to be for the future. Down a tunnel they walked into a fortress designed for healers and dreamers, though he would not know about the dual purpose until much later. She showed him the commons, that reminded her more of a posh tavern with its kitchen and living area with an enormous hearth. He was escorted into a new library devoid of books, and then onto a long hallway with rooms off of it, giving him one that conjoined with Serrifs. He was sown the bathing chambers which were still heavily under construction, and the temple devoted to a myrid of Gods and Goddesses. He was shown the training room, the weapons room, and even that the Within had a prison. She showed him the adjoining hallway opposite of the private suites off the library that lead to the labs and where more rooms would be built... sharing with him the promise of the future.

And in the end, after the tour was done, she offered him a place to stay for free, and a job for seven gm a day as a healer and whatever else Sanctuary and her demanding Mistress needed him for. Then carefully she waited for his questions. She knew he'd have some.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on October 3rd, 2012, 5:11 am

Elem listened closely to Kavala as she spoke. Bartering for lessons? That sounded very reasonable and logical. It had completely slipped past him. Zeltiva was very big on coin, as he suspected that would be one of the cities she meant when she spoke of places where coin was king. Of course, with its general isolation and lack of natural resources, as well as the lucrative fees the University gleaned. "Heh, well, if I can just learn the language, I might have a better chance of that." Her words beyond that, of weapons and the balance between life and death, struck a bit harder. He could only nod with a puzzled look on his face and try to work it out as they moved on.

As she showed him the rubble and remains of the Sanctuary, it certainly looked like there was so much work to be done. It also seemed like she was the only one doing it. " I am happy to help rebuild any way I can, though honeslty, my skills in that department are lacking. I have a keen eye, however, and I generally don't have to be told something twice. Who else helps you in this rebuilding? Is it a one woman show?" If so, it wouldn't be for long. He was ready to get to work of any kind and stay busy.

His mind kept going back to the question of life and death. He would certainly need to step up his knowledges of medicine and herbalism. He had wanted to learn about Philtering in Zeltiva, but his lack of money and time seemed to stifle that greatly. He chose to keep the questions to himself as they entered into the splendor of what lay beneath the bare surface remains. The large tavern like area that was a common place was just amazing. He couldn't understand why the place wasn't filled with grateful healers and workers of all types. University students might literally kill for such an opportunity.

And then, he was given a room. That is what she called it, but Elem just sort of swayed with a slack jawed look on his face, since it was at least the size of his entire cottage in Zeltiva, if not larger. It was certainly nicer. The furnishings in it made him wonder if it could really be for him. Was this all a dream? If so, he would stay asleep. This was much better than starvation and the Bonesnapper. They continued on and it seemed like the place just kept going and going. He was trying desperately to absorb it all and hoped he would just poke around when he was alone. His little cart of furniture and items seemed as shoddy as the threadbare clothes on his back with so much regalia.

And if it all wasn't just too amazing, she offered him a job. Seven gold mizas a day?! Free room?! He knew dropping to his knees and kissing her feet would probably seem a little overzealous, but he didn't know how to respond. "I need to sit down." that was all he could come up with. And sit down he did, his mind reeling with so many blessings. " I can't begin to thank you properly for all of this. The room alone is more than I could ever dream of, outside of the rest of this place. Yes, I will take the job and I dare someone to try to take it away!" He laughed a little nervous laugh, still wary of just that event happening should he seem a little insane at the moment.

"Is it just you here? It seems like so much work to do. I will work all day, every day to thank you for such kindness and opportunity. I feel like my coming here is the greatest blessing I could receive outside of Rak'keli's mark." He closed his eyes and breathed deeply to regain himself. "What about that library? Will you need books copied over? Whatever yopu need me to do, it is done. to the best of my abilities, which are pretty novice at the moment." He found himself blinking often. Quit it, he thought to himself. " Let me see if I understand something though, because I think I might have misunderstood with all of this to distract me. While it is right to heal the injured, be they friend or foe, it is better to kill a foe? I know I don't understand about danger, really, but I am sure I will eventually. Nevertheless, is that right? That if I kill someone or something that tries to kill me, that is natural rather than against Rak'keli?" if anyone knew, he suspected it would be Kavala.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kavala on October 4th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Kavala smiled. "I'm glad its working out for both of us then. No, I'm not the only one here. There's quite a few others. Serrif, Tamlin, Gianne, Rhy, Raiha, Aweton. I hope to hire more though. There is always so much work. I couldn't do it alone." Kavala said, nodding, and giving him a moment to seemingly recover.

"So when do you want to start? Would you like to take the rest of the day to settle in and explore the city, pick up anything you need and be back here by the tenth bell which is when we serve dinner? I've got chores to do before that and a project that needs tending. It might be the only peace you get before things get hectic. We're doing a lot of rebuilding this season and it will take its toll." Kavala said. "Noisy, dirty, dusty and a lot of hard work. That's whats coming your way accepting this job. Because when we don't have clients, we're working on the rebuild." She said, gesturing around. It's taken a whole group to get it this far. It will take even more of us in the end." Kavala said smiling, then paused to let him decide what he wanted to do.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next