Allegiance to the Dead (Miro)

Showing off never hurt anyone.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Rayage on August 18th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Summer 45 512 AV

The instructions were simple, meet the nuit past noon at the designated spot. So, it was noon and the boy still wasn’t here. Though he realized that everyone can’t be as punctual as a nuit, he thought that they could at least try. Had he gotten lost? Or maybe he was eaten by some bear? Amusing and horrifying thoughts filled his head as he leaned against a tree, or maybe he is just a little slow. Arms crossed the nuit was prepared to wait till sundown waiting for him. If he didn’t show up then, well maybe he was a waste of time after all. He has been judging a lot of people that way, but he held a certain hope for the boy. Maybe he was just being overly optimistic.

With him sat by his side H2-A the scaled dog and one of his more successful experiments… He really didn’t like talking about his failures, but it was every time he failed that lead him to the success he had. Alchemy was a journey, a winding path of success and failure, of trial and error. One had to have an open mind apt to problem solving if they wanted to get far in Alchemy. Hardly anything turns out quite exactly the way the alchemist wants it to. It’s a shame, but that is both the challenge and the fun of the art. Part of the reason why he loved it. Alchemy… it constantly challenged him to do better, to strive for more and further his understanding. Yes, it’s an ever evolving art. On his shoulder sat a little furred lizard, H1-A. Both H1 and H2-A were products of his theory and showcased his knowledge in the darker side of Alchemy, a side that not many dabble in for moral reasons.

The nuit counted the chimes silently in his head making a song of sorts out it. He did not like to just stand here idly, but it could not be helped. He wasn’t going to waste any effort until the boy got here. He wanted to show the mage just how powerful he was. Yes, he nodded to himself, and then has the lad swear allegiance to him. He had been working at it. Subtle hypnotic hints and gestures. They all add up over time, and now it was time to really nail it in. Yes, it was about time for a new body guard, and one that he wouldn’t have to pay. That would be nice. Save him Miza. The nuit liked where his thoughts were going.

The more and more he thought about it, the more and more he wanted the boy to get here already.
Last edited by Rayage on February 8th, 2013, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Miro on August 31st, 2012, 6:43 am

Today was his chance. Rayage, a man of great honor and power had finally acknowledged him. He was given one chance, an opportunity in which he could prove his worth to the man. So far, he was late, but it was all for the best. He would advance as quickly as he could, but one should never be unprepared. Today treasures once stashed away were brought out. A mask, which he would attach to his weapon harness alongside Griver, and his staff, held in his hand.

It had been a while since he had to dress as a mage. Concealing his weapon and mask was a heavy winterbane robe. It did not seem the weather for it, but that was hardly an issue. He decided to pack his scrolls and take some paint, however these items would remain in his bag. Each scroll was packed away in its casing and a single container of inscribing paint was placed in his backpack. With this, he was finally ready.

One last item needed acknowledgement however. A bracelet paired alongside his partner, Ender, who remained sealed on his wrist as well. This bracelet, stark white, with red engravings throughout it, was reminiscent the Mask of Many. It was a beautiful piece, and truly a treasure, even if once it caused him nightmares. Lately he had grown attached to it, never removing it. Even Ender did not seem to mind.

Things had been rough with the familiar at times. They often bickered over meaningless things, but Miro sensed their relationship blooming into a friendship. It did not make the kid angry to be teased by the summon. Rather provided a smirk on his face. To see a defiant spirit made him feel right at home. It was obvious to him he had made the right choice. Now all he needed was for Ender to see he had chosen well also.

"Hey, Ender, Rayage wants to see me. I knew it, he thinks I am great. He is going to acknowledge my greatness, and soon, so will you!" Miro smiled, looking down at his wrist. The robe began to feel like a heavy blanket in the sun, meaning he would have to cool it down. Besides the momentary heat, something told the boy that today was going to be ripe with adventure. Almost like fairytale he would have heard in his youth.

"Why must you always address me in such a manner. I understand you are talking to me, so why is it you have to say my name? I acknowledge you already. You are indeed great. It does not take any convincing to see. You are great at causing me in an unbearable amount of frustration. Take this damned robe off before you melt me to death. I will not die for your stupidity.

As usual, Ender had said his line. Always the same, lifting him up just enough to see him fall. Then after he had chastised him, he would explain his wait for their imminent demise. For Miro it had already gotten old, not that it bothered him any. He only wondered when it was that Ender would tire of the childish game and accept him. Still he spoke as if his life was separate from Miro, showing his views on their relationship clearly.

In this case Ender was wrong however. The robe would not be keeping them warm, but rather cold. It was thick and not only held heat in, but kept it out. All that was needed was some ice to counteract the heat produced by the body, then both would feel comfortable and at ease. All the while it kept him shielded and contained, keeping prying eyes from seeing the contents tucked away underneath.

Miro picked up the bag and slung it over one shoulder. From the entirety of his body he began to produce res in a thick gel. It took only a bit of thought, as simple as taking a deep breath in and releasing it. In came the will to produce res and out came the magic. After producing what would be a sufficient amount to line the robe, he began to shift it into place.

The fibers on the robe always did a perfect job of holding and anchoring the ice in place, as if it had been wet and left out in the cold. The majority of his chest and back were lined with a thick padding and transmuted to sheets of cold ice. From his left wrist, which Ender was attached, he produced more res. With a bit of thought he shaped and thickened Ender's ice bracelet that held him on Miro's arm. Again transmuting the res to ice.

All was prepared, even if he had taken the liberty of stealing Rayage's time from him. Though Rayage had an endless amount of time, it did not make each moment on this planet less valuable, and for this waste he was truly remorseful. Miro hurried out of his dormitory and out the front door of Zeltiva's university. Though the note given to him was already burned to ashes, his destination was clear in mind.

Miro hurried along the city, aiming to find its exit, the Mirahil Pass. Whatever Rayage wanted, it was something to be done out of the city. As fast as he could, he passed through crowds and past people. In just a few short chimes he would arrive to the meeting spot to find Rayage, if he hadn't left already. If he had blown his one chance, he would kick himself in the arse about it later. But if his chance wasn't over, he would knock the undead wizard off his feet.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on September 9th, 2012, 4:16 am

The nuit waited a while longer. He did not want to be disappointed with the youth, but the boy was making it hard. He had long grown tired of waiting, but wait he did, just a little longer. It was not uncommon for mortals to be late. Skewed was their perception of time and place in the world. They did not know or understand just how limited their time was in this world. They took it for granted, but for the nuit time was precious. Every bell, every chime, every second counted. Time was wasting away before him and he was not the least bit amused.

The living have no respect do they? No, guess not. The nuit turned to leave, but as he did so out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of the running form of Miro. At least he was hurrying. Though he could have hurried a bit faster…. The bitter thought entered his mind, but he shook it away as the wizard came upon him. ”Im glad you could make it after all Miro.” he said with a wayward smile. The nuit looked over the kid, looking quite silly with such a thick looking robe on; he also sensed the slight presence of magic. The kid had a few tricks up his sleeve. He envied the speed at which the boy could run, and he has watched many humans and other beings over the course of his life. Some were faster than others, but even fewer had magic to aid them.

H1-A looked at Miro curiously cocking his head to one side, and H2-A barked and wagged his tail going up to Miro and starting to immediately sniff him. It seemed that the boy was under inspection from not only the bug eyed nuit, but also the creatures of which he brought with them. Both animals seemed friendly enough, but the few that were privileged to know knew that the beasts in the Alchemists care were more than just mere pets. They also doubled as body guards, being downright vicious if the time was called for. ”Im not going to ask what took you.” he said taking his gaze from the child and to the scaled dog, ”Because I don’t care. You are here now, boy.” he said, though Miro might pick out that the nuits last word didn’t sound quite right. It was as if he used ‘boy’ as a title of respect. There was respect in Rayages voice when he addressed the kid regardless of title granted.

A dead, cold hand fell upon the head of H2-A as the Alchemist stepped closer, running his hand down the dogs back as he looked back to Miro, ”You remind me of someone I used to know.” he said, before changing the subject, ”Though” the word coming all too quickly for the boy to question what the nuit had just said, ”Meet H1-A, and H2-A” he said proudly, ”They are modified creatures, creations of Alchemy and the first stepping stones to achieving my goals.” he said looking upon both figures proudly. He sounded like a happy father when he introduced the animals, ”I created them after years of study. They are, as of right now, the only two I have with me.” he told him.

The fuzzy lizard jumped from Rays shoulder onto H2-A’s back. The chimera then crawled up the other one and perched on his head before jumping for Miro, ”Please don’t be afraid of him. He won’t hurt you.” the nuit explained seeing H1-A go for Miro. The lizard was too curious for its own good. If it was allowed the creature would scale the boys cloak, claws digging into the thick fabric, scaling the boy like a miniature mountain until it got to his shoulder where he perched himself, liking the spot chosen. ”The creature is a bit too adventurous for his own good.” he said, if the boy was uncomfortable with the chimera’s presence then the alchemist would quickly snatch up the thing. If not apparently disturbed then he would leave H1-A be.

”Anyways,” the immortal started, ”I called you here because I sense a greatness in you.” he told him, ”I was apparent to me from the first time we have met.” he said as he took to walking further away from the city and into the wilderness beyond. ”Its been a long long while, child, since I have seen such talent from anyone.” he continued his praising of the boy all too knowing that he loved to have his ego stroked, ”Therefore I have a special interest in you.” he admitted, ”You see, I like natural talent like you. Its so refreshing to be in the company of someone who isn’t magically inept.” not that the Nuit kept many people around who didn’t have any useful magic, in fact, most everyone he knew practiced magic. Though that was beside the point. ”Greatness only comes once in a great while.” he laughed continuing through the wilderness, avoiding the low hanging branches in his own slow and nuit-like way, ”Take it from someone who has lived for far too long and doesn’t want to give up on life quite yet.” it was true, the alchemist has avoided death for centuries, and from that has had the benefit of watching time go by. ”Miro,” he said, ”I think you are the great while.” he said letting his words trail off as his thoughts filled his head.
Last edited by Rayage on September 18th, 2012, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Miro on September 10th, 2012, 8:04 am

Rayage, a man who was unlike any other in the world. For some time Miro had been trying to find a word that would best describe him. Something of a title that would fit him perfectly, yet such a thing was hard. It would have to be striking, to roll off the tongue when said. When hearing it, you would feel a sense of pride and awe, or it would not fit at all. To express his endless wealth of knowledge and the skills that continued to impress day after day. Explaining his maturity and unique view on all things. It was useless, nothing fit. Relief was in store however, as Rayage was still waiting patiently.

Luck, as usual, was on Miro's side. Not only was Ray was still there, he did not look angry, but something was off. When he spoke Miro felt an eerie chill, though it quickly passed. As the kid looked down, he saw two strange creatures. It looked almost as if they were born of the same parents, yet were different species. A dog with features of a lizard, and a lizard with features of a dog. How curious they were, and how fitting to be pets of Rayage. H1-A and H2-A, creations of alchemy. The urge to make a snide comment surfaced, and as always it was too much to resist. Thankfully he could say it and not disrespect Rayage.

"Hey, Ender, I guess I should go to more alchemy classes, eh? It would be amazing to be able to make some mixed creatures! I am thinking something like a lion-man, or perhaps a tsana-bear." The tone of his thought was quite giddy, overly excited, something Miro knew irritated Ender. Anymore he wasn't sure if he expected the familiar to learn to enjoy the shared thought or if it was punishment for always being so silent. Almost instantly however, the summon replied. "Do you not listen, BOY? He said that it took him years of study. He is an alchemist, is he not? And is it not also true he is an undead who has lived centuries? Or perhaps it is that he only has two of them that will spell it out for you. A failure such as yourself would never be able to do something like this."

When Rayage had called Miro boy, it felt right, almost like what he would expect his father to say. It made him happy, and made him feel accepted. But when Ender said it, how sour he made it seem. What's more, all he said was true, and yes, it was likely Miro was being childish and not thinking. If Rayage did not deserve his full attention, Ender might find himself being put in his place. More exciting things pressed focus though. Rayage had a great treat for Miro, one he would not forget. A resolve to hear him out was made in the kids mind. Once already he had shown disrespect. Now it was time to sit in the grace of forgiveness. Simply blurting out whatever came to mind would make a fool of him after all.

H1-A, the furry lizard, jumped onto the winterbane robe, progressing its way to perch itself across his shoulders. A broad smile claimed the boy's face. Not only was he an adventurous little scamp, he was also friendly. Miro reached a hand up and gently rubbed the side of the creature's face. After a moment the man started to talk again, but still, the kid only listened. While the elder man explained his reasoning, the duo began to walk away from the city. Though every word he said made the excited anxiety build more and more in Miro's childlike heart, he refused to show it externally. This was not to say there were not hints.

When overjoyed, his eyes would turn a bright yellow, like rays of sunshine. When hiding excitement, always his teeth were gritted, perhaps looking unnatural or disturbed. Yet as the man would go on acknowledging Miro in all the ways he always wished, the excitement and enjoyment would fade away, and his face would come to rest. For a moment he would slow his pace, falling behind as his eyes closed for a moment. But when he would open them, the world would be seen anew. An icy aqua tint would dilute and overtake his eyes, and his attitude transformed as well.

Such complements were not issued to the child in Miro, but rather the man. It took but a second for him to return to his place near the Nuit, yet somehow in that time a new being had arrived. A strong sense of duty abolished all childish thoughts. It was time to get to business. To show what he was capable of to the man he respected most in the world. As the last word rolled from Rayage's dead swishing tongue a calm came over Miro. For a moment longer he would remain silent, unresponsive, analyzing all that had been told to him. It was clear, praise was a skill Rayage had learned by hearing, not giving, making each word precious.

"I came here today because I believe in you, Rayage. I have been thinking in my spare time how I might show you my worth and skills. On me, there is all I need to show you my battle prowess." The boy looked around, making sure the area was clear of people before speaking again. "I have dabbled in a few personal magics that will need more preparation before displaying them, however there are a few that are more than ready for you to see. As you well know, I am a reimancer, able to control all four elements, but that is only my main appeal. I am capable of fighting in armed combat, even able to use djed to assist my skills. Plus a few other tricks here and there. Perhaps I can show you what I've got."

Miro only wanted one thing from this man. He trusted him, believed in his abilities, and though the boy might not have acknowledged the fact, it was true he filled the most important role in Miro's life. He was that of a best friend, a parental figure, much like his deceased mother and passed best friend Kinneas. The boy had a bad habit of seeking acceptance from people he deemed worthy. And when he had found it, attachment usually followed. The only element left in this attachment was for him to be sure the eternal was just as committed. People taking the role in Miro's life had a bad habit of turning up dead, something he could hardly handle happening again.

But it wouldn't happen again. Miro was stronger, learning more magic and mastering his skills. When he put his mind to it he could do anything. And Rayage, well, he had lived hundreds of years. In all that time he had been perfecting his craft and survival skills. Kings had risen and fell before his eyes, magic developed and crafted by his hands. Surely with Miro by his side he was in a better position than ever. If each could survive on their own, then combined nothing could end them. A sudden realization came to mind. What he had been looking for all along was right before him. The wizard snapped his fingers, looking surprised and excited. "Sage!" It fit perfectly, the only word befitting such a man.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rayage on September 19th, 2012, 7:57 am

They walked and talked, both expressing interest in the other. Rays methods were more based on blind flattery, but nonetheless came out sounding quite sincere. It was something that he had picked up over the ages, not that his dead tone of voice helped at all. He chuckled to himself remembering someone describing his voice like nails against a chalk board. It wasn’t pleasant, and it sounded just as dry and dead as he was. The concept of the boy ‘believing’ in the Alchemist was a bit humorous. Who was the elder here? Ray did not need such validation as belief to move forward with his plans. He did not possess that weakness. No, he was a predator and has been one for far too long. The nuit hardly ever considered himself ‘prey’. Though, all in all, the boys reaction was good, in fact, better than expected.

”Miro, my boy,” he said placing a hand on the youths shoulder, as it seemed that the kid responded well to touch. It was a powerful thing no doubt, used to direct and command attention. ”You think that you have to prove yourself to me?” he asked, ”You don’t have to prove anything.” he said with a smile, ”you don’t have to impress me, you don’t have to show off for me to like you.” he said, his words, for anyone knowing Ray, would seem really out of place. For this situation, however they were exactly what was needed. ”I’ve told you before, I sense greatness within you.” The boys aura telling more than he needed to know. The sheer size of it was impressive for someone so young. A simple glance at it told him not information about character or anything. It told him that there was much to this boy, and more than he could pick out by simply using magic. He would have to get to know him. That was the easiest way to get anything out of anyone after all.

”And, usually,” he jested, ”my sense of character is never wrong.” he said confidently. ”Though,” he went on trying to hide the almost bored tone he was using, ”if you must show off your talents best we get further away from the city.” he said leading the boy farther into the wilderness. ”People are so closed minded, even within Zeltiva, when it comes to certain things.” he told him. Yes, even in a city like Zeltiva magic was still practiced and allowed with great care and observation. Wizards were not exactly trusted, but they still were respected for their talents and their deeds. ”The uninitiated can be so overwhelmed by feats of great power.” he said, furthering his own goals by complimenting the kid once more. Any wizard worth his salt would know, could sense an excellence coming from this boy. An abnormal power…

It was that power that lead the Alchemist to keep a close eye on Miro and try to gain his trust and friendship. It seemed that H1-A and H2-A liked him well enough. The furred lizard sitting comfortably on the guys shoulder, while H2-A walked beside Ray. ”Tell me, Miro,” this is the first time he had addressed the kid by his name in conversation, ”how is it that you have come to possess such a find aura at such a young age?” he asked. The boy seemed quite caught up in his thoughts, and then before he could get a response he heard a single word ‘Sage’ come from the youths lips. The snap shortly followed, and it seemed that he had solved the worlds hardest riddle. Amusing.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Miro on September 30th, 2012, 9:42 am

As always, Ray was quick to ensure Miro was sure of his faith in him. It was not an issue of trying to prove anything, he was just eager to show off to his friend. It was decided long ago that the old crafty Nuit had a few tricks to show off as well. As if somebody of his calibre and talent would just show his skills to those who were hardly worthy to be acknowledged as anything more than a short lived fool. It was not hard to see past his guise to see the brilliance that came from an eternal life.

Even able to pick Miro out for what he was. The undead was perceptive, knowing the skill the young wizard possessed without seeing it. The duo was heading further out, readying to leave the path and venture into the woods where eyes would not reach them. Rayage's question left the kid to ponder for a moment. It was not every day he was asked when or how he became great, something he had not thought on too often. It brought a smile to his face, he knew the answer.

Miro drew air into his lungs as he ventured into the woods, ducking under some low branches. In a null tone, he spoke words from his smirking mouth. "I was raised to respect the discipline of magic. My life is djed, so I seek balance. It seems sometimes it's all I know though." It was not something incredible though. Yes he had accomplished a great understanding of magic, but that was just one thing. There were plenty of others who had mastered skills just as useful, even further than Miro had with his reimancy.

He was still young, making his skills few. It was best he be good at the few talents he did possess, especially when he had a partner with so much life experience. Rayage was a source of knowledge even before the Valterrian. There was only a chance to lose when presented with such opportunities. Wasting the resource would be the only real shame. It was in the young wizards best interest to dedicate himself to show his skills for the ancient master. It seemed there was only one way to go, and it was forward.

The pair walked further into the forest, finding a clearing. It was not the type of area where one would find a nice stream with fish jumping out. Not this place, far from it. The type of are that is covered with weeds and ratty vines. Trees that looked as if nature had made it tough to live. The ground was rocky, covered in moss that squished releasing a foul stench with each step. If it were not for the treetops breaking and allowing light in, no reasonable person would stay long in such an area.

One tree prospered in the area, being less than impressive by average standards, but in such an atmosphere looked quite triumphant. It was tall and healthy, branching out above the other trees to provide a cooling bit of shade. Though it was all a bit harsh on the eyes, it inspired a feeling of confidence. Not even animals would want anything from this place. It would only be a question now of how to start things off.

Miro took a moment to take the setting and atmosphere. The feeling that the wilderness was attuned to cruelty. In this place there was very little beauty, only struggling life. It would be the perfect place to leave a scar from a wild display. For the moment he would take time to bathe in the shade, able to enjoy the chill of the frosty robe. It was a bit heavy, but kept his items hidden. Once the kid found an urge to tease the Nuit, it was undeniable.

The boy spoke in a plain tone with a hint of confidence hidden away. He did not look his direction, nor did he allow his face to show any hint of emotion. Miro simply stared at the dying withered trees. "Perhaps it is about time you see what I can do. I may take a moment to warm up, so forgive me." It was a favorite technique of deceit from the kid, to redirect expectations. Of course the preparations had been started already, but hiding things would always prove entertaining.

Rayage would become aware of all of this, but for the moment the wizard would find a way to show off his skills. The only impressive thing in sight was the tree, which was somewhat tall, being nearly as thick around as Miro. It would take a bit of work, but he had something in mind. The wizard adjusted his staff in his hands, poising it against his body as he slid his hand towards the furthest end. He closed his remaining hand into a fist holding it in front of his mouth as he shut his eyes.

Miro began to mumble words as he focused on the "fine aura" he possessed. Most of the spell would be an illusion, hiding the details of how it would happen with false rituals that would only help him focus more. After a few moments, when he was focused on his djed, he lifted the staff from its locked position at his waist. He gripped it with both hands and pressed it firmly against the ground, planting it in place. All of the preparation and acting caused a trickle of excitement to start. Things were going to get fun.

The wizards djed would become a performance, much like it had in his past as a gladiator. Such were the few situations in which the mage would find himself itching to cast away his djed so freely. So far the preparation step had gone fine, and the undead may have started to get a bit curious what he had in mind. With the preparations turning into the initial stages of casting, the goal would be to turn curiosity into amazement. It would take close observation for any to realize, but the most impressive spell of the day would be cast now.

Discounting the fact that no one would be able to admire and truly understand the amount of talent and cost it would take to cast this spell, it had impressed Miro already. He began to gather his djed in his core, pulling the stored energy of his soul and building it in his gut. His abs tensed, quickly followed by the rest of his body as he commanded his djed to attention. The first tricky part, and the one that would need the most concentration was ready.

Miro drew in a deep breath as he relaxed the control over his energy, allowing a wave of djed to flow outwards into his limbs. As the wave would reach out and hit the tips of his fingers and toes and attempt to rebound, he would spend the djed, using it to redirect djed from the pathways in his arms and legs and flow it into his core. The wizard let out a dull roar start to escape his lungs. It was soft, but as his need for focus would grow, the volume would as well.

If it was not the case that his body loved abuse, it was that it was toughened by it. Using the Flux to assist in reimancy seemed to increase the speed and output, which could be useful, if ever there was a situation in which the wizard was outmatched. For the time being it was nothing more than brutal practice, something that would bring fatigue to his body by boosting its potential to channel djed.

As always the use of djed was a double edged blade. Using the Flux used its own djed, topping that with an enhanced production of res would surely exhaust even Miro's djed limit and break into overgiving in chimes. As he noted before, focus was an absolute key. The roar picked up in strength as Miro prepared another redirection. He pictured in his mind the gathering of energy, finally prepared to cast the spell.

The wizard began to channel the power gathered power into his arms, empowering the pathways with redirected energy. Though his legs felt weak, he felt an ease of magical conductivity in his arms. Using these pathways as an express route to expend his djed, he flowed energy from his core through his arms and down his staff, creating res from its base and pouring it into the ground. The tense pressure on his stomach faded quickly, replacing the spent djed with fatigue.

When the djed had finished its transformation Miro released his pull on the Flux. With the release of his flux streams, he quieted himself. Though the rest of his body regained its former power, he felt the wave of recoil hit from abusing two disciplines at once. Producing res too fast and redirecting from multiple sources would add to the cost of djed spent, but it was slight when compared to the real issue. The toll on his body and mind left his knees shaking and the world spinning.

Miro's body began to tremble as he clung to his staff to steady him. His vision was blurred, and a roar of white noise blocked his mind. He only hoped the Nuit looked impressed despite the struggle. It was hard to play cool when disoriented, but the show would go on. He had only cast a bit too much too fast. As each moment passed the boy's control of his body increased, allowing him to stand on his own after a slow passing chime.

Though his head was still humming with a slight ache and confusion, he could still brag a bit. Years of training had given him the ability to talk himself up even in his sleep. "You may want to step back old man." Though his voice was shaky, he continued to hold a confident tone. "The winds can be fickle, I'd hate to see you crushed." The wizard took a moment to gather himself and took a deep breath.

He had only just recovered, yet it was time already to cast again. Miro raised his left hand high, causing his sleeve to fall, revealing an exposed arm. He began to pull his djed through the exposed flesh and into the air as a mist of res. An aqua cloud would drift into the air and begin to spread across the area saturating it and attracting the air. When the air was rich with res, he would move the res creating a circular flow. The attracted air would move along with it, creating a current.

After a few more moments of fueling the spell with res to gain control he stopped. He had produced all of the res he needed, now it was time to finish it all off. Miro shifted his attention to his staff arm, adjusting his grip on Ionu's Light so that it would be pointed towards the ground saturated with res.

To start out with a display like this was foolish. With the amount of reimancy cast, he would lose his chance to show off hypnotism extensively. The wizard smirked though, it would do him no good to hold back. Miro jabbed the staff forward, striking the ground. As it made contact he willed his res to move through the ground and towards the large tree, encasing its roots.

The res was then attracted the dirt and earth around the roots. Finally his preparations were complete. He now shifted his attention back to his left hand, commanding his gaseous res. With both masses of res ready to be moved, the spell would finally be on display. What would seem to be nonsense would turn into the elements tearing apart the only thriving life in the area.

Miro dropped his left hand as he raised his staff, gesturing the res to move. The res pulled the attracted earth along with the roots up towards Miro, causing its foundation to break loose. While pulling the earth up, he sent his gaseous res forward, attracting the air and transmuting it into a strong gust that rushed against the tree.

By pulling the roots towards him and pushing the tree with wind, he successfully broke its support and shifted its balance into falling. The large gust of wind cleared the area as the tower of wood cascaded down taking out a few smaller trees. It landed with a loud crack against the harsh rocky terrain, but its misery was not over yet.

"And there it goes. It is almost like magic, isn't it? A strong breeze toppling a tree so easily." The wizard let out a laugh. He reached down and grabbed his waterskin from inside his robe and pressed it to his mouth. After he removed the cap with his teeth he proceeded to take a long drink. It was a bit satisfying, but a short lived break. The mage wiped his mouth and placed the container back in his garb. With a smirk on his face, he continued. "Don't worry though, I am not done yet."

Miro guided his staff arm from the ground upwards, pulling the res used to topple up, smearing the wood. He flicked the staff downwards, causing a layer of res to burst into flames. He fueled the pyre, adding more heat until the log would ignite, filling the air with the scent of burning wood. Now the wizard lifted his staff to be held horizontally between both hands. Raising it, he lifted the res from the inferno.

The flames spat heat and threatened to spread, but its time would be short. He took a deep breath in, centering his mind on his res. He adjusted its shape and positioning, turning it to a thick cloud of gas spread across the log. Miro began to wring his hands across his staff, initiating his res being transmuted into water. Tiny droplets would begin to fall from the cloud, slowly at first, but gaining intensity quickly before stopping suddenly, and with it the fire as well.

Finally the kid turned to greet his friend Rayage, looking into his eyes. By now the boy would look tired, as if he was ready for a nap. Though he would still continue to gloat on his success, if only he hadn't cast so many spells in succession. Miro flopped down on the ground, letting out a sigh. He was finally done showing off and could enjoy all the praise that went with it.

With a coy look on his face Miro spoke once again, feeling much more humble. "Alright, I am tired now." The boy let out a yawn and laid himself back, resting his head on his arms. "I don't think any trees will be bothering us any time soon." It was easy to feel accomplished, but something told the young wizard his familiar would be less than happy. At any rate, he was eager to see what Rayage thought of him now.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rayage on October 18th, 2012, 10:05 am

They walked. The walked further and further away from the city of scholars and from the presence of prying eyes. Those who understood little feared a lot. It was that fact or maybe it was the irony of that fact that had amused the nuit for all these years. Though knowledge was a double edged sword, he had seen it bring insanity to many, their mind unable to accept the enlightment. Therefore they go blind, those who stare into the sun unprepared for what exactly they might see. With little knowledge one may grow curious, but with a lot then one may grow closed, confident in their ‘knowledge’ as ‘fact’. Truth… There was only one truth in this world, and that is that truth doesn’t exist. Fact may in fact be disproved and made fiction with one simple discovery. Therefore a new truth exists, that is until that too evolves into something new. There is always something greater than, that is one of the great ‘truths’ of Alchemy.

The undead caught the smile on the youths face that brought him from his thoughts as he listened to the answer to his question, ”Interesting, young man.” he nodded in approval, ”It seems that everyone has their own path to greatness.” which wasn’t a bad thing, but it was endlessly interesting. How so many actions can lead to the same result. There was more than one answer to any question, more than one road to travel, more choices than any one person can perceive on their own. In that limited perception it is also filtered, much like reactions in alchemy, by the experiences in ones life. Perhaps one answer is the only answer for one person, but it is not, in fact, the only answer that exists. Perception, and its power is unnerving to the nuit a he thought more and more about it, walking deeper and deeper into the woods, careful to keep up with the child, but to also not snag himself on a low handing branch or trip on some vines.

The area to which they ventured was not the most welcoming of places. A hard life was to be lived here, and it was quite evident the chain of nature choked out all live which wasn’t strong enough to survive on its own presenting a rather gloomy atmosphere filled with things on their last leg of life, if not already dead. It was a place where humans did not tread often, that much was apparent by its undisturbed nature, but that much could also be concluded by the vanity of humans. They did not go where the lessons of life could be remembered so harshly, they so desperately searched for the beauty in things, and for beautiful places often avoiding something like this. Though, Ray the nuit found beauty here. Much more beauty than in an endless field and blue skies, much more beauty than the ocean waves cascading against the setting sun, much more beauty here existed than anywhere else if only because it was the bitter truth. In this place the pure lessons of nature were reflected, and through the tree standing so tall a message was sent, oh yes, and received. The…

Again the nuit was brought from his thoughts, his personal world, when the youth once more talked. It seemed he still wanted to show him what he could do. The undead smirked, so easily manipulated, but nonetheless he nodded and waited to see what would possibly happen. Then things fell silent as the wizard went into ritual. It was long, at least for a personal magic spell, and at the advice of the kid the nuit took a step back. The voice was shaky with exhaustion and the tax of casting out ones own soul. That was the price of personal magic. ”Id hate to see a wizard succumb to his own power.” Ray muttered, but still content to observe, he had little idea what the wizard had planned though it focused on the tree that stood so tall, so proud within the forest.

More stylized movements and a jab forward with the staff, the wind blew and the earth itself churned, directed by the wizard’s power. Taking another cautious step back, Ray watched as the tree fell, hitting the ground hard, the sound of cracking and snapping wood and branches revolved around the area, the noise itself momentarily deafening, shocking, but most importantly awe inspiring. What power, to manipulate reality so, to fell something otherwise unmovable. The wizard was shaken, this time he was unable to hide his awe on his face. Was he outclassed? No. Such foolish thoughts! They simply wielded different powers. Yes, he could cause the same effect, felling a tree, given enough time and preparation. Though he could what many could not, and it seemed the same was true with the boy.

Before he could compose himself the young wizard stated that the show was not over quite yet. A much simpler ritual and a substance spread itself across the tree before igniting itself aflame. The same power Evalin commanded, but this was powerful, much more advanced, practiced. The fire was short lived as water came from a cloud and dispersed both substances.

Then the kid simply turned to him, looking much more tired than before, and sat down on the ground, muttering something, but the nuit nodded. ”Yes,” he agreed with him about the tree part, ”though it is not the trees that we should be worried about.” he said not getting the humor, looking down at the exhausted youth. This did not seem like a place to take a nap either, but if he was comfortable that nuit wouldn’t say a thing. He broke his gaze from him and further observed the smoldering tree, silence falling between them, though Rays mind was racing. He had never seen such potential, especially at this oh so ripe age.

”My own temple of power is within a lab.” he explained to him, ”As an alchemist I cannot do anything without preparation and careful planning. Such impromptu magic like that is beyond me at this point.” he lied having developed a way to glyph his alchemy streams. ”That is not to say I do not possess other magic besides Alchemy.” he told him, ”I am fairly confident in my knowledge of Hypnotism, Auristics, and Glyphing. I have dabbled in others, and I, no doubt, could teach you a lot such as using your own power much more effectively, even the ability to cast magic without using your own djed.” he said with a smile, still staring at the tree. ”Though so many are fast to judge when they hear the darks arts of which I explore freely. It is their ignorance that allows them to judge my actions. You see, people fear what they cannot understand or feel they cannot trust. They fear difference, they fear change, they fear and bow to those with power. Though they blindly search for it, everyone does, unknowing of what they are really asking for…” he trailed off going back into his own thoughts for a chime or two, ”Miro, if you follow me and lend me your power I will lend you my knowledge and insight.” he said, looking over his body, ”This nuit can hardly defend himself as efficiently as one like you can.” he chuckled.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Miro on October 19th, 2012, 6:43 am

Miro rest happily as he reflected on the Nuit's words. It was just as he wanted and expected. The air was filled with shock and excitement, but that was not what spread the grin across the boy's face. Rayage's voice held excitement and pride, a rare prize. The wizard was still tired, but he had recovered well. It was only a question of whether the corpse's offer was motivating enough to risk burning even more djed. The old man was worth it no doubt, but he did not know the young wizard's limits.

It did seem the Nuit knew a few things. His preference was exactly opposite Miro's, but he was entirely unsure his skill in personal magic. Miro knew enough about the magics listed to realize something did not add up. A focus could cast magic stored previously, but it was still his own magic. Casting without his own djed, somehow. For Rayage to follow with speak of trust was typical, just his way. Something was being withheld, but it did not alarm the boy. He trusted that in time he would be told exactly what he needed to know.

"Yes, you are quite talented in handling world magic, and personal magic too I assume. These dark arts you talk about, I am not sure I follow. It almost seems as if you are issuing me a warning while also offering me a chance to learn from you. Ancient corpse talking of dark arts, you're starting to creep me out, old man." Miro was quite satisfied with his remarks, teasing the old man to try and arouse doubt.

The kid chuckled and he rolled forward, shifting his weight and standing up. He understood well enough what was being said. "You don't need to worry about being hurt as long as I am around, whether you ask for help or not. If you want to teach me the trick to learning something, I'll listen. We are not in the city anymore, so please explain, teach me, it has been far too long. Magic and history lessons are far too few these days."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rayage on October 19th, 2012, 9:21 am

Ray thought of another way to put what he had just explained, ”Where people see the rose, I see the thorns.” he said, ”There are many ways to use magic, some are more…” he thought of the word to use, ”accepted than others.” he finished, but went on, ”Let’s take your magic for example,” he said, ”it is called Reimancy, yes? Evalin uses that too…” he commented, verbally assimilating his connection as if hinting at something, but he didn’t let his words linger, ”Reimancy can be used in accepted ways, such as providing water for parched crops, or it could be used in frowned upon ways, such as murdering in cold blood.” he said, not that he held these morals himself, but rather society as a whole did. He was trying to make Miro get what he was getting at without exactly saying it.

He bent down and looked at the ground, taking a dagger from the folds of his cloak and striking the ground with it. The dagger sank into the earths flesh and stood there, unaided by the hand of the wizard. ”If you’d like, I can teach you the darkest art I know in personal magics.” he said looking up at Miro, contemplating how he would explain the concept to the kid. Silence fell, he knew the boy was interested and willing to learn, ”But first, before relaying on those means, there are other preparations you can do to be prepared for any encounter. You do know of glyphing, boy?” he asked once again grasping the knife as he dragged the blade through the earth making a deep line, ”The symbols of power which hold and can even augment the wizards casting.” he said, stopping when the line was about four inches, took the dagger out and angled it before stabbing into the ground again and dragging it further downwards making a lightning bolt shaped mark. At the tail end of the lightning bolt he brought the dagger in a circular fashion and connected the head to the tail with a half circle. ”If one is prepared enough they can caste a near infinite amount of spells from the glyphs they make, faster, and more efficient than a regular wizard.” he told him.

”Scrolls are priceless in that regard.” he said, ”The ability to cast pre-made spells with but a trigger word.” he smiled, ”Possessing such power could tip the balance of a fight in your favor.” he concluded, ”And with your Reimancy Im sure it would be invaluable to create some scrolls to keep at the ready.” he suggested to him, ”You’ve already paid the price when you created and charged the glyph.” he nodded, ”I believe this endeavor should be something you would be wise to look into.” he said not bothering to explain how much magical endurance he would have if he utilized scrolls.

He removed the dagger from the earth and started making a design around the lightning-bolt-half-circle rune. The lightning bolt part would fit as the focus while the design he was going to put around it would be the barrier. Small squiggles, shapes, and random things surrounded the rune in the shape of a triangle, for he had never done a triangle barrier before and thought it would be neat to do so. The earth parted under the weight of the blade making lines which they could make out. The process was slow not only because he was drawing in the dirt and sometimes it smudged, but because he still was sort of new at this. Though eventually the one rune was complete, and ready to be charged with a spell.

”With knowledge of my power, you can draw djed from the very earth itself for spell use, even steal other peoples djed, other wizards djed, even sap your own glyphs if you do not like the spell stored in it.” he explained, ”All with a simple touch.” he said, ”They call this art Leeching, and of the magics its one of the most feared and ridiculed. We are automatically outcasts because we are not afraid to take the power that we want.” he said ”I am one of the few Leechers left.” he said, ”Miro, even before the Valterrian Leeching was misunderstood and even a restricted practice. You needed a license, a piece of paper allowing you to practice it.” he explained to him. Ray never really thought much of Leeching until he became a Leecher himself. That is the funny thing about circumstance.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Miro on October 20th, 2012, 1:17 am

Everything in life could be perfect. Rayage had the skill to store magic with glyphs, showing just how impressive he was. Miro had attempted once, but it did not end well. And leeching, well, it seemed quite amazing. To take and steal djed with a touch. It was easy to see how it could be so misunderstood. Something he obviously needed to compliment his reimancy.

"Yes, I know glyphing. I am not quite skilled enough to store magic, but I can assist my casting well enough. This leeching however, it sounds amazing. If you could teach me how to harness that ability, it would be a great tool." Of course something so useful would take time to master, but Miro was a wizard with dedication, and nothing was too much to grasp.

Using both glyphing and leeching together would allow him to keep and use a great deal of magic without overgiving. It was lucky that Miro had happened to take his glyphing supplies with him. He quickly removed his backpack and began digging in it. First he pulled out his five scrolls, then finally his paint.

As Miro struggled to keep the items in hand, he approached the Nuit. A sudden surprise voice startled the boy however. "Feared and ridiculed. Dark magic that will cause you to become an outcast, and you are lucky enough to find a still practicing master. I will not even call you a fool. Still on about this understanding new magic thing, as always. How long will it be before you get us both killed?"

The harsh words caused him to stop suddenly, turning slightly pale. He was little more than shaken up with grim surprise, but it did not halt his faith. "You will see! Rayage is a wise and powerful teacher. He knows the abilities of world magics well, among many other lost things. He is somebody who has lived in this harsh world for longer than anybody else. And of course, I am great as well, and very important. Let me make a promise this to you, Ender. Everything will be okay! I have no plans of dying."

Miro dropped to the floor, ignoring Ender's remarks, spreading out the parchment scrolls in front of him. He placed the container of paint in their center, waving to the standing corpse to sit. A pleasant smile overtook the boy's face. Not since he was a child had he done anything like this. Having a teacher to help along with magic was wonderful, yet so rare.

"I know more than you might expect actually. I know the basics and how to apply all the runes, but storing magic in a focus has always been tricky. When I was young, I was not allowed to use them, for it was terribly dangerous." A smug look came over Miro's face as he continued on, showing his abundance of pride. "Not only that, but I have already had a lesson in hypnotism. Sometimes it is broken, but I can be really good at it!"

The young mage found himself lost in bliss. The countless nights he would lay restless dreaming of such a scenario. There were few memories he was as fond of as learning magic with his mother. Perhaps he could not help, but Miro felt compelled to ask the undead wizard a question. "Hey, Rayage, after we practice our runes, do you think you could show me the trick to getting hypnotism to work every time?"
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next