Completed The Serpent and the Shield.

A cart has an accident on the road and our hero decides to help.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Serpent and the Shield.

Postby Markus Andres on August 19th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Summer 30th - 512 AV

Markus was out for a ride. It was just a short ride so at least his warhorse, Alluia was kept strong and ready and got some exercise. He was wearing his knightly gear. Full set of armor. Shield on his back bastard sword by his left side and a dagger above that. He was returning home when he heard a loud crash. A man yelling in pain and Markus put Alluia into gear and the powerful mare galloped to the scene. An old and worn cart had had an accident and Markus could see a leg stick out from under it. A wheel had broken. Two young men were standing around the cart. One was trying to pull the man out the other was trying to lift it, but he just kept rocking the cart. No wonder the man was yelling in pain. A man was pinned under there! Markus was quick to get off of Alluia, motioned for her to stay still. He quickly ran to the place the cart had fallen.

"You, stop it, you're only making it worse. Hey, get around here. We will need your help." The other son came around. "On three, we lift." Markus knelt down and his hands found a good grip on the wagon. It would require quite the strength to lift it off of the man.

"Ready? Good. Three. Two. One. Lift!" Markus put his strength into it. Arms flexing viciously as they turned as hard as the armor that covered his arms. Both his legs dug into the ground. Finding a sure foothold. But the three of them only managed to lift it a couple of inches off of the ground. At the same time, it seemed the man had stopped screaming. He must have passed out. Markus grit his teeth. He simply couldn't lift the wagon a single inch more. Both the sons were also grunting. But if either let go. The cart would drop and surely crush what was left of the man's leg. Markus sought into himself. Trying desperately to channel any djed he had into his arms. He needed to find his flux. Perhaps then he could hold the cart for just a moment and one of the sons could get the man free. He could not dilly dally now.

"Put your backs into it!" Markus ordered. As he bit his teeth harder together.
Last edited by Markus Andres on September 2nd, 2012, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Savitaire on August 19th, 2012, 5:44 pm

It wasn’t unusual for Savitaire to be seen coming and going from the city to the forest outside. The guards knew him well enough by now they didn’t seem hostile, though they still did their jobs. He had been walking along the road when he heard a man shout, he quickened his pace and saw three men trying to do something with a cart. As he got closer he noticed how frantic they seemed, he looked towards the ground and once he was closer he saw a shape underneath. He ran up taking a position on the other side giving the Knight a nod, seemed all he had to do was lift, with him helping he was sure they’d at least shift it to help the trapped individual. He kept his head ducked as much as he could trying to seem like he too was struggling, but holding back wasn’t helping. He put his strength in to it helping with all he had, then when he got the signal he stopped.

He didn’t stick around for long, he gave them a nod and started walking away. He could do nothing else and he risked questions if any of them had noticed that he was the only one not tired. It would have taken two more bodies helping if he hadn’t come, it didn’t take a very smart man to realize that one man coming to help had been short except for him being so strong. He looked human, but his physical strength was twice as strong as the average man. He was happy to have been able to help, he just didn’t want to stick around lest he be asked more than he wished to tell. He had no skills to fix whatever had caused the accident, so while they took care of the rest he’d have been of no more help anyways. As he passed the gates he let the guards know what had happened and a couple of them went to help, especially since he had mentioned seeing another knight already there. He was told to wait while they confirmed what he said and leaned against the wall quietly.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Words: 69037
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2012, 7:11 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 21st, 2012, 12:42 am

Markus felt the strength of his arms fade. Slowly but surely. He took a deep breath and put all his might into it including any djed he could manage to scrounge up with no real preparation. Which was very little to nothing. But suddenly, it got easier. The cart lifted some more. Markus realised it was due to a fourth member joining them. The cart lifted considerably. Enough to one of the sons to let go and Markus could feel the extra load. But still. Nothing like when they had been only three. The newcomer was quite strong. Markus looked at the person. The man looked barely troubled at all. Markus prided himself on being stronger than most people. But this man... It made Markus annoyed. That some stranger possessed such strength. But the son got the man free and Markus and the others could relax their arms. Markus was quick to go to the injured man. First checking if he was still breathing. The man's chest heaved ever so slightly and a small whistle could be heard from his lips. Markus took a look at his leg.

"We need someone to go to the city and get the gate guards out here." Markus said as he looked around. Noticing that the fourth man was gone. He must already have gone to get help, Markus figured.

There was an uncomfortable dent down at his shin. Hopefully he had just broken a bone and did not have much in terms of internal bleeding. He turned to the stranger, who by then was over a hundred feet away. A couple of chimes later, a pair of knights came riding. Markus had mostly spent the time thinking about what he could possibly do to help the man. Best bet was to get him to Syliras, but with that leg Alluia couldn't carry him. Could make the injury worse. But if he did not get him to a healer as fast as possible, the man would be worse off. Markus just had to wait for the gate guards to show up. They would know what to do. More than Markus, at least.

As Markus pondered how they would do that, a pair of knights showed up. Markus looked surprised. They had their horses and seemed to know that there was an accident.

"A broken leg I fear. Cart fell right on it. I would carry him to the city, but I fear it might make it worse. Where is the man who got you?" One of them motioned to the front gate and then lifted the man. Caring little for his injuries. Carried him to the horse that had carried the cart. Placed him over its back and then simply took the reigns and rode back to the city. The other guard stood and looked at the cart. Looked at the road. It was out by the side, not blocking the road if another cart came by. It should be allright.

"Ask for him by the gate, they should tell you where they took him." Markus told the two who looked quite pale. Markus mounted Alluia. He needed to find that fourth man. Find out how he could be that strong. It had to be Flux. Simply the only explanation Markus had.

"You can also ask to your horse there. Take care." Markus said and rode toward the city. Finding the stranger quite fast. Standing, almost waiting for the young syliran. Markus found that Alluia behaved oddly the closer she came to the stranger. Then suddenly stopped a solid fifteen feet away from him.

"What's wrong Alluia?" Markus whispered. He dismounted and led the mare closer by the reigns. She resisted. But followed, but the reigns were kept tight.

"Hey there, thanks for the help out there. Quite the strength you have in you. Must be eating well." Markus said with a smile. "My name is Markus Andres." He offered him his off hand to shake. Markus' main had was holding the reigns after all.

"Care to join me to the stables?" He asked. Wanting to talk to him with some more. Find out if he was really a fluxer or not.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Savitaire on August 21st, 2012, 1:46 am

Savitaire took the man’s hand giving him an answering grin “I’m afraid I’ll have to pass on that, your fine horse is having issues, I fear worse ruckus if I tried following. Horses don’t like me much, I could probably coax her with an apple and soft words, but a whole building filled with them? Nah, better I stay away.”

The Dhani made a conscious effort to pronounce his s’s like those around him, but he still had an accent. He did note with a bit of pleasure that he wasn’t too much taller than the man before him, two inches difference was better than what he was used to. He stood at a lean and stocky one hundred and ninety five pounds and stood at six feet four inches. He was out-weighed by the Knight, but he was sure he was still stronger. “Call me Savitaire.”

Savitaire was wearing loose pants, a plain cotton long sleeved tunic and sandals, he’d have to get warmer clothes for winter, but for right now what he was wearing was fine. Other than the bag at his feet he had no other possessions and looked like what he was, a foreigner. His grey eyes studied Markus intently, a gaze that usually didn’t miss details on a person. It was a gaze that was practiced, used to studying things, usually for potential thread though more commonly studying a potential meal with human eyes. His posture was relaxed, his expression while friendly told nothing else, he was someone who knew how to keep his secrets and showed no weakness. There was a confidence in his gaze, he was a man who knew what he wanted and knew he had the strength necessary to keep it when he had what he wanted. Depending on the person the look in his eyes could make the other think him a threat or relax, few people would trust a man who didn’t have a still gaze.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on August 21st, 2012, 2:58 am

"Well, perhaps we should get you a bushel of apples." Markus said with a simple laughter. "But alright, friend. Horses are not for everyone." Due to the accent, Markus knew the man was not from Syliras. Rather, the man was not raised in Syliras. He gave the man a good look, his clothes looked pretty ordinary. Markus was the shorter of the two. Not by much, but still enough for Markus to take notice. He was used to being taller than most, so he always took notice when someone was taller than he. Markus was bulkier though, yet the man had so easily helped with the cart. Either he had trained much harder than Markus and his muscles much denser or he was indeed a fluxer.

"Savitaire, not a common name around here. But in any case, a good thing you came by when you did. Another chime and my arms would have fallen off lifting that thing. I suppose you're new to Syliras? Have you found work in the city, yet?" He asked, the two questions in a quick succession. All in a friendly tone. "Oh, and the man only suffered a broken leg. If he get to the soothing waters, he ought to be fine." Markus said happily. "You played no little part in that." He praised Savitaire.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Savitaire on August 21st, 2012, 3:23 am

Savitaire ducked his head a little embarrassed, praise for something he was sure someone else coming along would have done was a little strange. “I’m considering trying for the Knights after I get used to this city.”

It seemed like an obvious question to him about him being new so he didn’t quite answer it, his answer had come in him saying he needed to get used to the city. “I just was the first there, if someone else had come before me I am sure I’d have been of little help. I’m glad the man will be fine.”

Savitaire was well aware that another person might not have been much help that regardless he would have played a role in it. It would have taken two people to do what he had done, but he wanted to shrug it off and continue. He was sure now this Knight had seen more than the others had, but if he played clueless the man might just decide to ignore it. He wouldn’t outright lie, but he’d do what he could to avoid the issue if it came up, but if the man asked directly he’d be honest. He wasn’t a liar, he hated those types of people and made an effort not to become one himself. Honest men were often exploited, but one can be honest and be careful not to get played. He studied the man’s horse, he noted that the majority of people who had fine horses were people to watch out for. This was true for this man, while Markus looked to him like every other Knight, his horse was different than the ones he had seen.

This could mean that he had been given the horse, saved for one and bought it or he was a higher rank than the people he had seen. He had a feeling it was position more than anything else that was the cause, though he wouldn’t pry. The mare was an intelligent beast, her eyes not once leaving him even as she was reluctant to get close. She wasn’t making noise, she wasn’t trying to run, but she was making her reluctance known. “I’ve not seen a horse like yours, she isn’t one of the common breeds you see in the city is she? I’m surprised she has come as close as she has even with you pulling her.”

Horses had a sense that he was something ‘else’ part of his predatory nature was not hidden near the beasts. Dogs were fooled, but a horse was not a descendant from a predator, they were prey and knew that he was something that could make a meal from them. While depending on the dog determined how they acted, horses always acted the same predictable way. Most dogs will tolerate him or outright act submissive because he was the more dominant predator, horses took one sniff of him and did their best to get away. Regardless of the species, regardless of age, size and temperament, all horses first saw him as a danger. Even if they warmed up to him he doubted it would allow him to ride it, such trust took weeks even months to build. He was aware that all the Knights needed to ride the beasts, a skill that would take a lot of time to earn with how the animals disliked him. He personally liked the creatures, but he despised dogs with a passion.

Pet or wild he hated dogs, too bad he couldn’t get much affection from a horse as easily as he got attention from some alley mutt.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on September 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

Markus' respect for the man grew leaps and bounds when he showed interest in joining the knights. He was talking to a man who might be a future squire. With the strength the man possessed it would be a great addition to their righteous order. They could always need more manpower to patrol the treacherous roads and wilderness. Markus knew that too well, having run into bandits on several occasions. He had bested them, but once it had been too close for a farmer. If Markus had not come then, there would have been innocent blood spilled.

"Really? That is great! You have certainly shown a noble spirit and strength to make a great knight. But if you'd like I could show you around. I would have to get her to the stables first. Some places are not really suited for horses. No matter how brave." Markus added as he gave the large horse a good pat on the shoulder. He really liked her. She was great and good at following orders. Best of all, she had never let him down.

"She's a Tiaden Warhorse. They are often the horse we knights use for our business. Because they seem like they have a natural knack for war. Not to mention they're quite intelligent. So yea, they're quite common in Syliras. - But you could just follow to the stables, you don't have to go in if you don't want to. Just wait outside and get familiar with the area. For if you do decide to join us, which I hope you do, then you will be spending a lot of your time around horses. On a related note, how did you become so strong? I've spent most of my life training my body and you barely strained yourself with the cart. Or, it looked that way at least." Markus was tired of dancing around the subject. Time to be direct and understand the origin of the man's strength.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Savitaire on September 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Savitaire shrugged “I don’t know why I am strong, I was just born with it, never thought it wise to question such things since its better to use it and for the right reasons. I’ll walk with you to the stables then, it is one of the places I have not seen yet.”

While he had answered the man’s question he hadn’t quite given him what he wanted. Letting the man draw his own conclusions as to why he was born as strong as he was. He was sure the man would press for more details, but he hoped he’d let it slide.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Markus Andres on September 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm

"Ah, the gods must have blessed you then."

Markus could understand why the man would keep it a secret that he was a flux user. Markus kept it a secret because... He didn't really know why. He smiled when the man agreed to follow him to the stables. He wouldn't press the issue further. Not at the moment at least. If he wanted to maintain a lid on his magical background, then it was alright.

"This way, then." He said turning in the direction of the stables and led the warhorse gently behind him. He thought back to the incident on the road. Recalling the man lifting the cart. He barely looked troubled at all. He must have had a great control over his djed channels to do that. Markus realized he had been silent for some time, deep in thought. He could contemplate such things later. Now he had a regular Joe, who had turned into heroic Joe by his actions. Would be a worthy addition to the knights.

"What do you know about the knights?" Markus would ask. Breaking the silence. "What made you want to join us?" He expanded the question. Perhaps the stranger was getting tired of the questions, but Markus was just quite interested in the man.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Savitaire on September 11th, 2012, 9:19 pm

He was a bit puzzled by the idea of a god blessing him, to his knowledge he had yet to meet a god and wasn’t that part of getting a blessing from one? He gave a tribute to the goddess of nature from time to time, but it wasn’t to worship her, it was a gift. He would certainly pay attention if one of his gifts called to her enough to have her appear, but would he become one of hers? That all depended on the encounter and what she was inclined to say to him. He didn’t make any replies to that comment instead he let the silence hang not really bothered by it at all, though when the other man spoke again his attention was brought fully back to him again.

“It is better to be of use to those that rule a city than something seen as a threat or worse. By becoming a Knight I can learn more about whats around me and train in skills I would otherwise not be able to gather more easily on my own. Perhaps it is also that maybe it calls to me, a better fit than the other things I’ve seen. Fighting is second nature to me, better to have direction than to merely fight for survival in the forest, especially come winter. I’m not a winter person so I will enjoy a warm fire, food and thick stone walls when the snow starts falling. I want more than just what the forest provides come this change of season. So by becoming a Knight I will test myself and learn, that will help me reach a strong desire of mine.”
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Next