Unworthy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Unworthy

Postby Wrenmae on August 31st, 2012, 4:01 am

Summer 45, 512 AV

The wind spoke secrets, whispered taboos only the damned could understand. It was the same wind that curled the alleys of Sunberth, caught the ear in conspiratorial passion and left the soul to wave in tattered silence. Shroud was their taskless master, listening to their promises of power and ambition. In the wake of his foiled smuggling, the Waveguard had been afforded more fame than he was ultimately comfortable with. Had he is own way, he would have taken care of the operation without involving the justice toting Waveguard. Unfortunately, necessity had demanded he do so when outnumbered.

The wound had since healed, leaving a ghostly scar where the blade had perforated his skin and robbed his body of its vitality. Since that night, the Hypnotist had chosen not to take action on his own. The risks outweighed the benefits currently and the family he’d crossed wasn’t the forgiving type. With his name heralded in connection with their defeat, it was only a matter of time till they made a move against him.
Splinter had kept him on patrol in the public areas. He was to avoid East street and working by night, at least until the worst of the enmity against him blew over. Personally, the simplicity of the job did nothing but bore the Waveguard. Nothing but high class men and women, the occasional sailor slinking in and out of his field of visions, often imagining themselves in fancy clothing or making a delivery.

As far as public service went, he might as well have not existed.
Three days he’d spent like this, longer still had he been given leave to serve with his injuries. Now, near the end of the day, skulking back to the barracks, Shroud was ready to gut a thief should it choose this as the day it would try to pickpocket a Waveguard.

Without incident, he returned. Skipper…or Splinter as he sometimes liked to be called, was waiting outside.

“Eventful day?”

“As Eventful as the sea is red.”

“Just as well then.”

“I can’t stand it.”

“I’m not asking you to stand it. I’m asking you to do it.”

“A hero is rewarded with the equivalent of being a paid statue. I took the blue to make a difference. You have me on the patrol you give newblood, fresh fish…or whatever you call them.”

Skipper frowned, running a calloused hand through his beard, “That how you feel, eh?”

“To the mark.”

Sighing, the Waveguard captain nodded and motioned Shroud to follow him. Both walked around to the area cleared behind the Waveguard headquarters where the men practiced. By the slanting light of the sun, evening was fast approaching. They’d have use of the training grounds for a few chimes, maybe upwards of a bell before it would be too dark to see.

“Yesterday, an agent in the Underground Brawler’s League showed up dead.”

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Unworthy

Postby Wrenmae on November 27th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Shroud paused, standing at the edge of the training circle. “Brawler’s League?”

“Zeltiva has always been a sanctuary for sailors. The monied may have taken back large parts of the city, but the docks and certain areas remain a place for the sea-worthy to call their own. The Brawler’s League began some years ago, a way for sailors to go at each other like dogs and make a little money at the same time. Small operation, but it grew. Some big names got attached, a gambling pro from Sunberth moved in to organize it. Now it’s the Brawler’s League. The sailors fight for scratch and some of the rich make money off the battle. Obviously, some folk in Zeltiva want to discourage that sort of thing. I had a man infiltrate the ring in order to find out who’s doing the betting, who the rich pulling the strings are. Fellow said there were two he saw and that he’d try to get their names, but ended up dead a week later. I can’t be sure he got it all and I’m damn unsure who killed him.”

Shroud nodded, a bit sick to know where it was going. “Good man. Family, options, he was a sailor out of Avanthal…volunteered on his own to make Zeltiva safer.” Skipper stared at Murdock, and the hypnotist somehow could not meet his eyes. “I need someone to enter into a fight tonight, not to win, but to see those in the stands, pick out familiar faces, the ones dressed well…point me out my enemies, all of them, and I’ll make sure Johan is avenged.”

“I suppose you’re asking?”

“You wanted out of day patrols. The family you impressed won’t be in attendance. I know enough to check my facts and they aren’t looked upon highly by the sailor types…seems too many are paying for ships to meet cutthroats on the open seas, or at least enough suspicion that they do…enough to keep them out of the fight.”

“Fortunate,” Shroud muttered, “I won’t be looking for a knife when they tear me apart.”

“Good ole fashioned meat hooks,” Splinter said, holding up both his hands, “Now show me what you have. You’re a thin fella, but you have a face people might like to mess up a little.”

Shroud grimaced, circling the larger man and putting up his hands.
“Poor form,” Splinter corrected, holding his hands high, “Hold back one hand to block, keep the other ready to strike. What’s your style? Brawling? Boxing?”

“I have my own.”

“All novices do.”

Shroud hissed, charging in, weaving around Splinter and firing out both hands toward his chest. For a man with one peg-leg, the Waveguard superior moved surprisingly well. He pivoted on that leg, fired out one fist to knock aside one arm, blocking the other with the bone of his forearm. Shroud fell back, ducking and sweeping his leg. The idea was to catch the fellow and send him sprawling. But Splinter only leaned forward and brought his leg up, catching Shroud in the chin and knocking him across the ground.

“Anticipate. Read. React.” Splinter criticized, “You’re like a monkey, all arms and legs and no discipline. Focus on your target.”

Getting to his feet, Shroud dusted himself off, cascading motes of dust to color the ever hostile air, and charged at Splinter again. Out came his fist, a bit better aimed, but the Waveguard grabbed the forearm and pivoted, pulling shroud off his feet and sending him crashing to the ground again.

“Anticipate, use your opponent’s power against them. How have you survived so long with so little ability?”

Up came the murderer, his arms swinging for Splinter, wild and frenzied, nearly clawed. Had he not the presence of mind to keep his Djed fully in check, they might have been. Splinter sighed, anticipating each and every one of Shroud’s attacks. Some were blocked, others neatly dodged, and, finally, he grabbed hold of the youth’s wrist, slung him around, and sent him tumbling again.

The wound at his side, nearly healed, broke again and the tang of blood filled the night air.

Splinter looked disappointed. “You aren’t ready.”

“Like petch I’m not,” Shroud hissed, throwing himself up again. “Come at me.”

“No.”

“Do it.”

“I won’t engage a man weaker than myself.”

“Damn you. I said do it!”

“Prove to me you’re worth it.”

Shroud growled, a low sound, deep in his throat. He came up again, charging Splinter. Before he brought his fist in, he pivoted back, feignted, and spun for his side. With his lack of training, the movement felt awkward and he stumbled, but he brought his leg up toward Splinter’s face. Splinter ducked under the blow, keeping his whole body tight and confined, firing a punch or two at Shroud. Shroud leaped away from it, falling back and rolling across the ground. Up on his feet, he charged in again. Out came Splinter’s arm and Wrenmae replicated what he’d seen before. Splinter was a bigger man and so his force would be likewise larger, unsettling or unbalancing that force was the key. Reaching forward, Wrenmae caught him by the arm, shifting under him and trying to use the momentum to throw the Waveguard over his shoulder. His side erupted in agony and the stronger man pulled back, smashed his elbow down, knocked Wrenmae to the ground.

Not finished, Wren ripped the rapier from its sheath, up on his feet and thrusting out toward his trainer. Anticipating the move, Splinter smacked the rapier from the side, sending it wide and tearing his own out as well. Both blades met between the two warriors, each pushing against the other. Shroud leaped backward, twisting his blade up, balancing on his foot and stepping in strong to pierce Splinter. Splinter predictably pivoted and brought his sword against Wren’s rapier, sending it sideways. Following the momentum of the blade, the Waveguard brought his elbow into Splinter’s stomach, knocking the man back, giving him enough time to withdraw his sword and slash up at Splinter’s face.

The elder Waveguard allowed himself to fall backward, rolling along the ground and bringing his sword up to displace the killing end of Shroud’s. Both men held there a moment, each pushing back against the other till Splinter’s superior strength overcame Shroud’s. He came up and knocked the man back, pressing him with stab after stab. It was all Shroud could do to keep the blade from piercing him, clashing his rapier clumsily against the more experienced fighter, displacing the sword edge and doing his best to keep on the defensive. His side ached, warm blood seeping from his side. Pressing in, Splinter, crashed his rapier against Shroud’s pushed him back, and then delivered a punch to his wounded side.

Shroud’s vision swam, he staggered, fell to his knees, dropped the blade.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Unworthy

Postby Wrenmae on November 27th, 2012, 11:35 pm

As the blade clanged against the ground, its sound rang a sonorous gong like sound deep in Shroud's soul. Again, he was bested by this man. By his own limitations, he was made as inferior. Splinter kicked the sword away from him, extending his own so that the tip tickled Shroud's chin.

He was...defeated.

No.

Pushing himself backward, Shroud tore his long dagger from within his cloak, knocking the blade aside and forcing himself to his feet. Splinter said nothing, only charged forward again, executing a series of stunning thrusts and flourishes aimed to disarm Shroud his other blade as well. But he was faster with the long dagger, it felt more adept in his hands. He received each thrust and parried, it, striking sparks along the rapier as he used each thrust to get close, swinging a leg or a fist up to be met by Weaver's own.

In a mortal frenzy of dance and combat, they locked. Circling, Dodging, swinging and striking at nothing. Each blow was measured, each parry made desperately, even frenzied.

Shroud neared his dropped rapier, turning the dagger to an opposite grip and slashing the air in front of Splinter's throat. The Waveguard dodged away from it and Shroud retrieved his sword.

His vision was spotted, blurry, blood coursed from his side, but he sheathed his long blade and charged in with the rapier again. Up came Splinter's sword, catching the thrust blade and turning it aside. Pushing djed into his arm, Shroud called upon his meager knowledge of flux to rocket a fist forward, throwing himself at his superior. The blow landed with surprising force, numbing Shroud's entire left arm and knocking Splinter off his feet, rolling along the ground. Shroud tried to follow, but he fell, the sword clanging from his senseless fingers, twitching, his body cold and unresponsive.

Splinter stood over him, sheathing his own. “You are not ready, boy. Go rest yourself and I’ll think of something better for you.”

Shroud would have muttered something in return, but his vision was fading, his body was heavier.

He collapsed onto the ground in front of Splinter, gone again on tides of black.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Unworthy

Postby Arcane on December 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Rewards and Treasure!

Experience Points
+3 Unarmed
+1 Acrobatics
+2 Weapon: Rapier
+2 Weapon: Long Dagger

Lores
Defeat by Splinter
Wave Guard Mission: Infiltrate the Brawling League
Not Ready for the Brawling League

Comments
I... don't think you can get Brawling XP for taking hits. There's body conditioning, and there's simply facetanking blows. But other than that... Wren's not helpless! Hit em with your mad hypnotism skillz! :D

Also, "anything inviting unarmed, throws, and punches". I'm not sure what that meant o_O Can you clarify?

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes