[Zhongjie Warrens] A Bazaar Meeting (Rosela)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Elem Bree on September 4th, 2012, 5:29 am

3rd of Fall, AV 512

With the change of season and the red light of the Watchtower bathing Riverfall, Elem had plenty of work to do. He had spent so much time taking in the sights, though, that he had sorely neglected a task that he had promised himself to complete: Shopping. While it was certainly not a labor of love in Zeltiva, where he couldn't rub two copper mizas together, here he had the extra money to actually enjoy the process. He knew he was a sore thumb in this city of warriors, but that didn't mean he couldn't dress well.

He gravitated toward the section which had mostly clothes of all sort and type available, finding himself browsing through various shirt and pant sets. He asked the stall owner if he could be measured for free, provided he bought some clothes. It was a simple request and he began to stack articles of clothing nearby as the Akalak male set to measuring him with a piece of string, making his marks in Tukant nearby. Elem seriously needed to learn this language.

As his inseam was being measured, Elem noticed a woman with bronzed skin nearby. She was surveying the stalls with a measured eye. He didn't feel bad to stare as her exotic look was drawing many a male glance. He hoped the pin filled mouth of the tailor remained prick free when she approached.
Elem Bree
Always learning. Always changing.

Words: 229116
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2011, 6:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on September 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm

The fall had just barely touched Riverfall yet, with only a few leaves hiding along the edges of walkways. Dead leaves still hid in the trees, but they were hard to spot until a swift breeze kicked up and stirred the branches. The day itself was indistinguishable from summer, which suited Rosela just fine. Riverfall wasn’t that far north of Ahnatep, but she’d never experienced a true winter before. She’d have to buy a whole new wardrobe, which would be a bit harsh on her current wallet.

The thought of clothes shopping immediately made her homesick for her old life. It was pointless, she knew, but she hadn’t been away from Eyktol long enough to have forgotten it. Slipping onto a bench, Rosela crossed her legs and looked up at the waterfall. Fluffy beds, and sweet Eypharian food… She had the brief image of her old bed going up in flames and quickly turned her head to dislodge the thought. No sense in being homesick, and even less sense thinking about that.

Heaving a sigh, she stood back up and looked around. Her mood had soured and even the lovely Akalak men wandering around didn’t lift it. Noise from a bazaar down the street reached her and she instinctively moved towards it. She couldn’t afford new clothes or jewelry at the moment, but a little window shopping never hurt anyone. She felt various male attentions come to her as she slipped through the crowd and she silently reveled in it. Ah, to be adored. Being reduced to shopping in a common bazaar dug at her esteem, but she pushed it away. Her luck would turn around sometime and she'd be back to shopping at boutiques before she knew it. Doing her best not to feel sorry for herself, she perused the displays before stopping in one at random.

It was an average stall, selling average outfit sets. She picked up a female top, and spread it out between four arms. Not bad. The stitching was a bit loose, but good enough to get it sold, and buttons would have looked so much better in a darker color. At the very least, the designer had a passing idea of style. Speaking of, what she assumed was the proprietor was taking the measurements of what she also assumed to be a human man. The human was pretty average himself, and not nearly as well built as some of the fine Akalak specimens passing by. The Akalak proprietor gave her a long look and a quick nod before quickly returning to his task.

Rosela only happened to glance at the folded pile of clothes next to the man being measured. He wasn’t planning to buy those was he? She hoped he spoke the common tongue, since she couldn’t possibly walk away from a fashion disaster about to happen.

”Oh honey, are these yours? They really aren’t your best colors.” The man’s privacy be damned; multiple hands flipped through the small stack of fabric as she tutted and sighed. ”You really don’t have a dark enough complexion to pull that off… Oh this one was definitely made for Akalak skin tone… You’re close with this one, but it’ll make you look so washed out…” She slid the whole pile to the side, and leaned two hands on the counter and planted one on her hip. ”Tell you what, honey, let me pick out a few things for you. You’ll look fabulous.”

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elem Bree on September 5th, 2012, 2:51 am

Yes, exotic was the word. Elem watched her move through the stalls, wondering if he had something in his eye. It almost seemed as if she had six arms when she was holding up some clothing and perusing it. He touched his eyes, but they seemed to be sweat and debris free. Once she approached him, his initial lust became an awkward surprise. His face surely mirrored this fact, as he could feel his mouth hanging open and his eyebrows raising.

Stranger still, she seemed to be giving him advice on his clothing choices. If the initial shock of six arms wasn't enough, now he had bad taste? Well, maybe he did. Zeltiva was hardly a fashion center. She was ready to help him pick his clothes out. She had six arms. It was nice of her to help. She had six arms.

Six.

Arms.

"You have six arms." As it left his mouth, he heard an audible chuckle from the young Akalak below him. Apparently blue skinned people and six armed women were completely natural here. Yet, Elem was sure he would have remembered seeing someone similar. He was forgetting himself and his manners. He shook his head a bit, blinking rapidly. Yep, still six arms. "Pardon my rudeness, I have never seen anyone with six arms. I am Elem Bree and I would be happy to have any help I could in choosing clothes. I'd be happy to buy you something in return for your aid. Where I come from, fashion is an easy second to learning. I could certainly use a woman's advice, however."

All done babbling? His mind was vomiting and his mouth seemed to enjoy it. His eyes still saw six arms. It wasn't a bad thing. It was a wondrous, glorious thing. It was still a bit odd, however.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on September 5th, 2012, 10:19 pm

As soon as the human spoke, Rosela really looked at him and noticed the shock. Had he really never seen an Eypharian before? ”Why yes, I do.” All thirty fingers waggled in unison for dramatic effect. She was caught between being intrigued and insulted, and a snipe about his lack of travel was nearly on her lips before he immediately won her over: he was going to buy her something.

”Oh you sweetheart, thank you! I’m Rosela Reshimala, pleasure to make your acquaintance. I take it you’ve never been to Eyktol before? I’m Eypharian; we all have four or six arms. I think six arms look a lot classier, but that’s just me.” She moved quickly through the racks of male clothing, lifting, sifting, and sorting to pick out this or that. ”The Eypharians are the descendants of a river spirit and a beautiful woman he fell in love with, did you know that? The river spirit had six arms – one for each branch of the river – so six arms really should be so much more preferred…” She paused her chatter to spread a shirt and hold it up against Elem’s silhouette, humming thoughtfully. ”No, too dark. You’re so pale! Have you thought about getting out in the sun more? A healthy glow is very attractive.”

Shifting the old pile of clothes further down the counter, she placed her new, larger pile in its place. ”Now,” She started, plopping one hand onto the pile and waved another in his direction. ”Your best colors are in the whites, maybe something creamy with a dark border. Stay away from all those dark colors, unless you’re going for the pasty look. This one’s my favorite.” Four arms spread out the top shirt, white, short sleeves, and a dark green border around the bottom and sleeves. Her other two arms presented it with a flourish and she looked expectantly at Elem and the shopkeeper. ”Well? What do you think?”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on September 11th, 2012, 4:55 am

Elem supposed that she had been asked the question before, a mix of matter-of-fact and a dash of snide in her reply. Her finger waving display was truly mesmerizing. It did make him feel a bit of a homebody, the more he met so many interesting people. Before he could apologize, however, it appeared that his offer to buy her something erased all transgressions. Is that how it worked with women? Maybe just this one. He would have to experiment with that, though.

As he listened to her, even her movements were easy to watch. Elem found himself wanting more arms himself. What an amazing amount of work he could get done, mixing multiple concoctions at once. Ah, well. Two would have to do as they had. He was happy she had moved on to the sifting and sorting, as it gave him time to be silent and process. Eyktol. Another place to learn about the next time he had a chance to look at a map. he found the idea of a river spirit falling in love very romantic and wondered how one spoke to a river spirit, much less had relations with one.

His train of thought was interrupted by Rosela's placement of fabric to his chest. " Well, I spend a lot of time indoors, it's true. I'll try to change that soon." She was already moving on to other things. He thought he might get involved in the conversation a tad, though he knew he would not be able to keep up with her. " Yes, it's very nice, thank you. I'll be purchasing four shirts and four sets of breeches, so perhaps you might coordinate at will. You seem to have a better hand on it than I." Six actually, but as Elem had nearly insulted the exotic woman already, he thought it best to keep other comments to himself for the time being.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on September 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

He was a quiet one, and didn’t offer up much resistance as Rosela chattered away. She found him surprisingly easy to talk to; conversation seemed to come quickly and smoothly when she was neither attracted to nor repulsed by her company. If she had been conversing with the Akalak shopkeeper, who had laid the measurements on the counter and was talking in swift Tukant with another Akalak customer, Rosela would have concerned herself with flirting, and perhaps getting a sweetheart’s discount on a new dress. All this man could offer her was an unnamed something, which made him worth her time, but maybe not too much of it. Besides, if she couldn’t go on a shopping spree for herself, perhaps she could shop vicariously?

”Oh wonderful, I’m glad you like it. That’s the most important thing, isn’t it? To really like what you’re wearing. It’s always nice if other people like it too, but that’s another story.” Quickly counting her pile, she had picked out three shirts and a set of breeches so far. ”Why thank you! I do try to stay on top of current fashion, but it’s hard moving from one region to another. Leather’s a bit overused around here,” she gave a pointed look at the shopkeeper’s back as she sorted through the racks. “and it wouldn’t kill anyone to use a little color. There’s some lovely pieces in the boutiques, but I’m afraid they’re just a bit too expensive for me right now…” She sighed dramatically as she laid the last shirt into the pile.

”You’ll have that though. You men have it easier than you know. Between dresses, accessories, shoes, jewelry, hair, and makeup, a good outfit for a woman is bound to cost ten gold mizas more than a man’s.” Frowning in irritation, she pulled the final two pairs of breeches from the rack and folded them onto the stack. She sighed and banished the frustration and she turned to him. ”Well, there we go. Four shirts, four breeches, fabulously coordinated by yours truly. Go out in these, and you’ll have to beat the ladies off with a stick.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on September 19th, 2012, 6:56 am

This woman spoke very quickly, Elem thought to himself. Her actions and words were as fluent and varied as the river she spoke of. Perhaps that was her ancestral spirit father coming through. Either way, Elem found it disquieting somehow. Perhaps he had made a mistake. She seemed nice enough, though outside of flirting, he found himself often at odds with the opposite sex. Kavala was easy, because he just did what she said She was his obvious superior. Kelvics, like Rhy and Ndale, had little in the way of womanly wiles, outside of being females of their breed. They were easy to get along with. Caehli, of course, was another story altogether. Perhaps his fondness for her was what was putting this wall up.

Outwardly, he did his best to remain polite, trying to keep up with Rosela. He suspected he would have as easy a time guessing which hand she held a miza in. He sort of felt sorry for a man who would have to listen to the stream of words, though he would never be rude enough to say that. Just think it. " Yes, they are very nice. Thank you. I do have some more shopping to do, but you are welcome to tag along. I don't know what it was you wanted to purchase, but I doubt it is here in this stall." He looked at the Akalak tailor. "No offense, Sir." He smiled, regardless of whether it was taken or not.

"Speaking of leathers, I do need to get a few things of that nature. Since it is so dull to you, maybe you can find some things that appeal to you? I'll be right over there." He nodded with his head as he fished out the mizas for the clothes she had picked out, asking the tailor to keep it there so he could continue shopping unhindered. He kept nodding and smiling as his legs moved him toward the leatherworkers' stall. Pieces of what he suspected to be armor were on display, along with dyed and braided accessories of all sorts. Elem began to sort through a selection of belts, taking them off and wrapping them around his waist. The man tending to it pointed out that all his wares could be fitted for no charge.

The leatherworker seemed to perk up when he saw Elem's Antiquites Society medallion hang from his neck. "Oh, I have something special for a belt, just for the esteemed members of the Society." Bending down beneath the table and shuffling about, he returned with a beautiful silver buckle, also emblazoned with the compass rose. Elem was an easy sell on that item, nodding happily as he fingered it in awe. What a find!

Ledger :
4 cotton/linen shirts, 4 cotton pants: 8 sm
Leather belt 2 sm, Fancy explorer buckle 3 gm
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on September 25th, 2012, 9:14 pm

He wanted her to pick the gift? Rosela mentally cursed his consideration. It was very nice and all to let her pick her own gift, but how was she supposed to decide his budget? If she went too big, he’d balk and she’d end up with nothing. If she went too small, she’d end up with a cheap tiddlybit that she didn’t really want in the first place. Thinking quickly, she figured on a 5sm limit, to stay under what he'd just spent on himself.

As Elem paid, Rosela gave the stall a quick look-over. He was right; there really wasn’t anything in the place that appealed to her, even for a freebie. If she had been smart about it, she would have gotten even cozier with him, and gotten not just a gift, but a nice gift. Oh well, it was said and done and any affection now would probably look suspicious, getting her no gift at all and a likely a bad reputation.

Meandering after him into the leather shop, she looked into the bare “women’s” section. Ugly purses, bracelets, and boots abound. She kept an eye on Elem though, ready to let him know at a moment’s notice if anything he tried on was tacky. While his attention was off of her, she gave him a good look up and down. He obviously wasn’t particularly wealthy, and if he was, he was one of those dreadful types that didn’t like to “flaunt it”. He was too subdued to be a brash warrior, and not opinionated enough to be any kindof trainer or schoolmaster. Librarian? Healer? Gardener?

Her ears grew however, when she saw the shopkeeper notice his necklace. Sliding to his side, she leaned over his shoulder as he bent over. ”Ooo, Society? What kind of a society, the secret kind?” She made a squeal of excitement as the belt was presented. ”How pretty! That would look fantastic with your new clothes.” It wasn’t really her style, but it honestly would look good on him, so long as he stuck to her color palette.

A glint of color flashed across the table, and she looked up to see the sun passing through the jewelry stall next door. Immediately drawn to the shine of precious metals, she left Elem’s side and wandered over. The stall was obviously going for an exotic appeal, as the style was far more unusual than she’d seen actually worn around Riverfall. She recognized a few bracelets and rings as Eyktol-influenced, but the rest were a mystery. A rack of torcs caught her eye, and the price tag behind them proclaimed them to be within her gift-range. The shopkeeper, a middle-aged man who’d spent a few too many days in the sun, finished with another customer and bustled over.

“Aaah, one of the lovely Eypharian women, come to peruse my wares. You’ve got an eye for style, I can tell!” Rosela raised an eyebrow and offered a sardonic half smile, but remained silent for his sales pitch. “We have many lovely pieces from the sands of Eyktol, maybe a little reminder of home?”

She looked more closely at the presented row of torcs and prepared her criticism. Exoticism could be found in better work elsewhere, and for much better-

The last one on the rack held her attention and she gently reached out to pluck it off. It was a copper torc, with two jackal heads at its ends, carved from bone. Copper and bone weren’t exactly her usual fare, but the style reminded her so strongly of the jewelry worn in Ahnatep that she almost sighed dramatically.

“The Eypharian Jackal, fine choice, fine choice.” He have her such a pitiful look that Rosela wanted to claw his eyes out. “Memories, hm? Did your family have one?”

”No,” she lied quickly and instinctually, reluctant to let this stranger into her memories. Turning to Elem, she summoned back her friendliness and brandished the torc. ”Elem? What do you think, is it me?”
Last edited by Rosela on October 2nd, 2012, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elem Bree on September 27th, 2012, 4:24 am

Elem was normally happy for company, but he felt like he was being given the once over too many times. The shopkeepers were constantly trying to figure him out and what he would spend. It seemed Rosela was doing the same. It made him decide that shopping would be something he did once a year, if that. Or maybe he would just ignore them. He had been in the same bedraggled outfit for too long and wanted to at least appear cultured. At the last Society meeting, he felt more like a servant than an equal, medallion or no medallion.

In response to her pointed question, Elem's reply was short but concise, his attention on a leather apron. "No, it is the Antiquities Society of Riverfall. The Society seeks artifacts from the Akalak's original city of Valkalah, which was swallowed by the sea during the Valterrian." Pulling down one of the aprons, he casually placed it on the counter, tapping it as he continued to browse. He saw a few suits of armor hanging and remembered the law in Riverfall. It was his duty to protect the city if needed, so leather armor seemed appropriate. "Is this also free fitting?", he asked the shopkeeper, who was already buzzing about. "The tailor over there took my measurements if you want to save some time." The Akalak nodded and headed over to collaborate. Probably to joke about the unwary human as well.

He really needed to learn the native language.

While he waited, he looked over at Rosela, who seemed to be perusing the jewelry. It made sense that someone so exotic would enjoy jewelry. Maybe all women did. Elem thought it was a waste of money, but she had been helpful and he didn't want to seem rude. While he was no expert on subtle nuances, he could tell that the stall keeper was annoying her. Seeing that the leatherworker was taking down notes, he stepped over to her as she asked his opinion. " I don't know. I figured you would want something more extravagant. Here." He fished into his pocket and produced three golden mizas. He placed them on the counter, expecting all the hands to snatch them up at once.

"You've been very helpful. Pick something you would enjoy more." He smiled at her and returned to the leatherworker, who asked him to try some of the pieces on so he could adjust.

Ledger :
3 gm to Rosela
10 gm Leather armor
3 sm Leather apron
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on October 2nd, 2012, 9:32 pm

”Antiques Society, hm? Sounds lovely…” Rosela trailed off as she migrated to the jewelry stall. It sounded fantastically dull, but there was no need to insult him to let him know. There were antiques dealers all over Ahnatep, digging up the past’s junk to turn a profit on it. While Ahnatep was clamoring to reclaim its pre-Valterrian prestige, Elem was the first evidence she’d seen of Riverfall doing the same. Maybe they had less interesting things to reclaim?

She’d be lying to herself if she didn’t admit she was a little insulted he wasn’t immediately taken with her choice in jewelry. He made an undeniable point though; she was normally much more ornate in her choices. And the jackal affair, while quite interesting, could be considered a bit too predatory for casual wear.

The moment she heard the mizas hit the counter, her stomach twisted up. Now why did he have to go and do a thing like that? She’d been perfectly comfortable with the budget she’d come up with, before he’d gone all generous. Her mother’s voice screamed in her head not to take his handout, but her inner greed insisted that gifts were okay to take. By the time she came to her senses and realized she was staring, Elem had retreated back to the leather shop and the jewelry man was practically waving a pair of intricate silver earrings in her face.

Did she take the 3 gold mizas and come away from the encounter looking great; or take the jackal torc and shove his generosity?

All she did was pick out a few clothes for him – was that really worth three whole gold mizas?

But that silver ring over there would look just darling on her.

She’d never needed anyone’s pity money in her life.

But he offered it on his own, so he could clearly afford it…

Scowling at the shopkeeper until he reluctantly put the earrings away, she delicately picked up a single miza and gave it to him, jackal torc still in hand. He’d said he’d buy her a gift, and that’s exactly what he was doing. A small gift for a small favor. Besides, 3gm wasn’t enough to buy anything of real value anyway. She’d buy those for herself once she was rich again.

Taking her change from the already souring shopkeep, she plucked up the remaining mizas and slipped the torc around her neck. The copper felt heavy, and its weight reassured her.

Elem was getting fitted back in the leather shop, and Rosela skirted the Akalak making the adjustments to stop at his side. Pressing the mizas into his palm, she stood up on her tiptoes to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. ”Thanks sweetie, but I’ll think I’ll stick with this one. You can buy me something bigger next time.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next