Past Comes Knocking [Kavala]

Serrif thinks on his past as Tizack and how he is to confront Kavala about it...only to be confronted himself.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on October 17th, 2012, 4:21 am

Yes, he did indeed do his job well. Of this he could be sure. Tizack; the way he reached out and wiped out Crescent in a single blow without even lifting a dagger. Without ever making a cut on her skin in battle; was remarkable. It was still a power that he was familiar with but feared at the same time. That kind of ability could lead down a very dark rabbit hole. But when used and wielded correctly it could strike more surgically than any dagger; and hit any target no matter how far away. And Tizack had used this ability and leveraged it to his definite advantage. Once he had Crescent in that holding cell she never stood a chance. It was only a matter of time before he had to erase her.

Throughout the conversation it struck him what Kavala was truly saying. She didn’t blame him. It wasn’t his fault completely. He didn’t need to struggle with this; he couldn’t afford to. The past was just that; and despite everything truth could not be re written. They both knew this to be true now and forever. Her point was strong…no unshakable. Crescent had nothing but her killer instinct before meeting him; before being forced to become his. She was a ruthless killer, and he could see some of that same ruthless streak run through Kavala as well. But was he really Tizack? Was he?

The answer came when she stated the Ruv’na were not dead. He felt something inside him long and dormant rise up. As if it were a Templar long in the grave that suddenly rose from its long dead sleep and broke through that dark hallowed ground. Pushing the casket top aside and rising from the long deep deathly sleep. Picking up the sword and shield once again to meet head on the challenge that was facing once again. It became clear to him in this moment…Once Cytali…always Cytali. That was why he was here, that was why he ran into Kavala. Why he survived through the camps and the torture, why Mura sent him here. The Gods were protecting themselves and their followers. And offering him his rightful spot once again. He was Cytali.

His attention was squarely and intentionally focused on her now, they were in danger and he had seen the Ruv’na in action. Crescent was a perfect example. They had to bind together, find the others and grow in innumerable strength through any means needed. He had to protect his own, and do what was required to do so. He wouldn’t let innocents suffer, and he wouldn’t by any means let ignorance and misguided dogma to pluck lives from the mix. And Serrif did not second guess these thoughts. He had a family here, he would protect them.

They did raise killers, from day one they bred these machines to eliminate any marked by the gods. And to hunt down the Cytali like him mercilessly. In a way it was fitting he would find this issue here in the next life. But he had to ready himself. They had to be ready; because they had enemies now, and would always have enemies. They Ruv’na were just one of many names that they knew of; there were sure to be others. The urgency of this statement hit him squarely in the chest. He as in this; he always had been.

He was looking down into her eyes now, he could see Crescent just as clear as day. Even if she was a Konti Serrif could see Crescent. It was her…the woman who he chose to strengthen his ranks. The one he chose to end this war once and for all. He needed her in more than just one simple way; she wasn’t just a tool to him even if she started out that way. That fierce expression…that was the Crescent he knew. Even if she was in a more delicate looking body now he realized the strength there that resided in her body and mind. She was Crescent. And he was Tizack; a methodical leader. Decisive in his decisions and deliberate in everything he did.

His hand was touched to Crescent’s jawline, she reached out and touched his waist gently almost. Something…wouldn’t let him hold back any longer. He had wanted to say so many things to his dear Crescent. So many things that were left unsaid because now…now she knew the truth. He didn’t want to let this hang inside him any longer. He couldn’t if he wanted to move forward any further than he was. These thoughts would no longer trouble him.

His expression changed as he looked down into that fierce face. His Crescent demanded an answer, and Tizack was not able to filter his response; the Templar had risen, and it was time for him to draw up his weapons once again. “I love you.” His voice started out small but direct; then grew much clearer.

“but not because you are just beautiful. You are fierce, just as you are now. That fierce beauty drew me to you. Your strength…how I had to resort to wiping everything you were just to relieve you of the burden to kill me. That showed me your devotion, something I needed more of in my ranks. I needed one I could trust. Someone I could hold nearest to me that I knew would fierely protect ours from those that would have us killed. I gave you freedom, because you had been misled all your life. And you Crescent…you showed me love that I had forgotten; with your endless devotion to me and ours; both our children and the Cytali.”

He bent forward near her ear and gently whispered into her ear now his warm breath skimming across her neck as well as her cheek like a subtle breeze. “You were my ferocious protector and loving dedicated wife. I would have it no other way.” He planted a gentle kiss on her cheek and when he backed back up to look at her he had a wide smile on his face.

“I’ve waited a long time to say this. You completed me and the Cytali. We needed you.” There was a pause as Serrif came back knowing well that those words belonged to him even if they were not his own now. That hose words had been forming inside him for a very long time. Spilling over into every tense moment between them. And they brought light to Serrif; Tizack did love her. And knew that her strength was her most endearing aspect, as was her dedication.

“Kavala. It was important now to make the distinction that he had changed who he was talking to directly.

“I am capable of much. You know I will not give up until my breath leaves my body. I will never give in until my body quits me. I will not stop growing my knowledge both of the known and unknown. I will test myself, push my limits in all aspects. And through this I will be capable of near anything. I would erase again, so that we could end this war against those that would have us killed. I will brave any and everything for this reborn Cytali.” There wasn’t a pause as he then looked to her and spoke one final line.

“Now tell me you will do the same.”

A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kavala on October 18th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Kavala stood there stunned. It wasn't as if she hadn't drove him purposely to this point, cracking his facade and his shell wide open deliberately. But to actually see it unfold was an incredible thing. She could see in Serrif his past and present embracing and his physical and emotional form grow suddenly stronger... instantaneously stronger. Tizack became Serrif and Serrif Tizack and there was no going back. Not ever. The part of her that was Crescent smiled.

Kavala closed her eyes a moment, felt Serrif's hand on her jaw and his warm torso under her hand and savored the instant. No man had ever told her that they'd loved her. Sure they'd ran their hands over her body, used it, and she'd even given one a child, but still the words had never been uttered from their lips. Even Ronan never said it, having made his choice and joined the Sunsingers pledging himself to Sama'el. Kavala knew it wasn't meant for that time or place, not in the way that Serrif loved her Konti self, but that it was something in their pasts that needed to have been said.

Kavala savored the moment and those words, as stupid and childish as it might have seen to an outsider simply peering into her life. "I love you." Was something simple that had been long denied her to the point where she almost felt unworthy of it. Those words were something she longed to hear in the present, existing in the now, but ones that evaded her. Even as her Talvis' had loved her body, none of them had loved her spirit or her mind, only her body for the pleasure it could give them and the children it could produce. To be loved was a gift: a true gift and rare gift. Crescent had been lucky.

Kavala blinked, tears filling her eyes for a moment, and she took a second to regain control. "Crescent would have loved Tizack back, Serrif, f he would have let her. If he would have loosened the reins a bit, little by little, and given her back herself. I understand why you didn't. Believe me. I do. I can feel her within me every day, part of me and who I am now, and I know she's dangerous. They trained her not to feel. They trained her to kill without emotion. You trained her other ways, to protect without question. I am so much both of those things now." Kavala said, glancing down and finally shaking her head softly, as he kissed her cheek. An outsider would have thought they were two lovers, but they were not. Kavala and Serrif were not going to walk that path in this life. She knew it as strongly as he did.

They had other business to attend to together.

"Don't make those same mistakes with Gianne, or anyone else for that matter that you either come to care about or capture to use. I know you know how it feels now to be a slave. Give everyone in your life the chance to be themselves, even if you can't absolutely control them in doing so. Tizack played God. We are not Gods, Serrif, but mere mortals." Kavala said, thinking in a way Serrif had paid for Tizack's sins. She knew his story for the man had told her when they first met. She knew they'd experimented on him and forced him to do things he didn't want to do.

But it was time to turn the page and move on from that chapter of his life. If she could help it, she'd teach him a little that Crescent knew, on how to survive and how to thrive blending in to whatever situation one found themselves in.

"Thank you. For telling her.. me... all those things."
Kavala said simply. She meant it. They were only words, but significant ones to her.

She looked thoughtful a moment then answered his last speech. "I know what you are capable of. I know what the Cytali of old was capable of. I witnessed it first hand. But its purpose was pure. If we bring it back, we bring it back to mine the past and bring forth the knowledge that were lost - knowledge hidden on the Chavi of our ancestors. I want it to be first and foremost for healing, philtering, medicine, herbalism, some of the things that were lost." She added, nodding.

"And I will do what it takes." She replied. It was a given. Look at what she'd done to give them a fortress. "I want to build a healing college within Sanctuary designed to work with animals. And I want to take the best and brightest students for the Cytali." She said, knowing that the college was another thing on her agenda to build. It took time, energy, and financing.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on October 27th, 2012, 11:53 am

Free, finally free. It felt wonderful knowing that he could be stronger for his past by embracing it. He had known this all along yet never lived it until now. Until the woman he felt he had wronged confronted him directly telling him that his past self couldn’t be blamed; and neither could his present self. It honestly did neither of them any good for him to life in the past. That made him weak; which was the last thing the Sanctuary needed. They needed to stand together; Crescent and Tizack, and now Kavala and Serrif. If they allowed themselves to be shaken neither of them would survive; because they had great enemies from the past that still wanted revenge in the present.

He watched her every emotion as he spoke and those three words hit her heavier than he could ever have imagined. Had none ever told this woman they loved her? He was sure some likely had but she had to live up the disappointment of them not meaning it; of those words being just words not backed by any action. Serrif knew that feeling; which was why when he said it…when Tizack said it…they both meant it. But it was a very different love; not like Tazack meant it for Crescent, that man loved Crescent with everything he had. She completed him in ways he had been missing for years. But love was mush more than just the physical.

Serrif meant it another way; he did love Kavala in a way. He had been here to see her suffer. To see her body reject the child within her all because she had been working tirelessly to defend her home. He couldn’t even imagine what she had to go through as a Nakivak…and he didn’t want to know. She struggled it seemed almost daily to balance her life with this place she so desperately wanted to craft and create. His love was different; Serrif wanted to help Kavala in her venture. Sure; in this life they couldn’t be lovers. Each of them had an acute burden to carry that would crush the other. And that was not what they needed; no instead they would work side by side in almost everything. He would work himself to the bone for her because he saw the good inside her. That creative yet merciless spirit that wanted to create something strong that would withstand time. And Serrif would help her do this; because he too felt the calling.

The statement she made with Gianne humbled him, he didn’t want to change who she was. No, he only wanted to experience it. Her fun spirit…even the way she blushed from time to time entertained him. He wanted to find out more about her; and maybe even experience more than just her mental beauty for himself. He knew much about her, but there was much left to discover; and that was a path he would be more than willing to walk with her. Although he would have to be careful about his own past with her; it was not as docile as hers likely was.

‘We are not Gods, Serrif, but mere mortals’This much he was painfully aware of which was why his time was so very precious. He didn’t want to merely spend his time, no, he wanted to invest it in something that would withstand the assault of time on his body. He wanted to create something that would stand tall and proud…something like the Sanctuary. Maybe this was his calling, where he was supposed to be after all this time the gods had gently nudged him here to find his place with her Sanctuary.

She laid out plans for him and Serrif nodded with thoughtful smile. “I will aid you in these goals. I think a healing college would be a worthwhile adventure. I will help however I can. We will recover those lost knowledge’s and impart it to those worthy of knowing it. There is much to learn in the past, and it’s about time someone started retrieving some of it.”

A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jackalope on November 9th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Serrif

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Socialization +2 Lost in Thoughts of Crescent
Rhetoric +2 As Much Tizack as Serrif
Philosophy +1 Accepting the Good with the Bad
Telling Crescent the Truth
Serrif's Challenge and Word: I Will Not Give Up
Finally Free

Kavala

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Socialization +2 Working Until There's No More Work
Observation +1 As Much Crescent as Kavala
Teaching +2 Combining Then and Now is a Must
Pointing Out Misguided Worries
Serrif's Challenge and Word: I Will Not Give Up

Jackalope's Notes
I enjoy these past life threads immensely. Great work as always. Kavala, in case you wondered why I awarded teaching, here you go: It's my belief that you learn lessons best when you figure it out yourself. I watched Kavala set a stage for Serrif to come to the realization of what really needed to be said. Thanks you two! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous