Solo Out with the Old

Gale finally sells his Bay picture

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Out with the Old

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 9th, 2012, 10:47 pm

ImageImageImage
2nd of Fall, 512 A.V.
Market
Noon (not long before
Gale get's advice)

Opening the door to his room at the Grotto, Gale was getting his pictures to go and try and get a few mizas. He had his sketched Bay picture from last season laying on his small desk. He took the picture carefully and looked at his Carnation sketch. He thought about bringing it but shook his head. He'll try and sell that one some other time. He didn't want to carry much. He grabbed his sketchbook and charcoal though. He would need something to do while he waited for someone to stop by.

The blue eyes caught sight of his cloak, hanging off the edge of the bed. He hadn't used it all that much. Maybe once or twice when it rained but Gale didn't like wearing it. He didn't like how it gave off the appearance of a mysterious troublemaker. Especially when he was selling. The more innocent looking the better. You never want to look like you want to kill someone when you are trying to get them to buy something. At least in Gale's mind. He didn't put on his bloody shirt because that would be even worse so he just went bare chest like he had for the last of the summer. It wasn't getting too cold yet so he could last without them, even though it would still be pretty cold. He favored the colder weather over the hotter weather since he was more use to colder climates, being on the windy docks and beaches a lot. Besides, he would only be out for a bell or two. It wasn't like he wasn't going to come back to his room in a week. Though, having no shirt was rather awkward for customers as well. But he didn't want to look like the murderer he was. Innocent was good. He just wished he had something to wear.

Gale pulled his blonde hair behind his ear,it being just long enough to stay. The young man walked out of the Inn, sighing, the cold weather already starting to chill him. It's not the worst. At least it wasn't all that windy. Gale headed down the street, picture in one hand, sketchbook and charcoal in the other. Maybe he would finally sell this thing...

Last edited by Gale Austin McCenry on September 18th, 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Out with the Old [Solo]

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 18th, 2012, 3:32 am

ImageImageImage

Walking through the crowd of people, Gale eventually got to "his" tree, which is where he sold his paintings. He carefully set his drawing and sketchbook down and reached up in the tree branches, not too far above him. He pulled himself up on the first branch and stood up, wobbling for a second before grabbing a higher branch. He stretched his arm between a few and grabbing a sign that was hooked to one and hopped down with a soft grunt.

The sign was nothing fancy. Simply a piece of wood painted white with a string attached to it stating in a thick black paint, attempting to look fancy:
"Paintings and Drawings for Sale
Pre-made Pictures and Image Requests Done by Yours Truly "

It wasn't fancy. He was only eighteen when the two of them made it. Hana had finally convinced him that he was good enough to start selling his work so the two of them made the sign. It used to look a lot better. The white and black paint is now chipping and peeling off from the abuse it has suffered. Dirt stained the whole sign. Scratches, scraps, and even some graffiti from people who came upon the sign (usually when it fell because of the wind and such) could be found on the small sign. The thin rope that held the sign up in the branches was fraying quite a bit, looking like it would only hold together for a few moments longer before snapping in two.

Gale sighed at the small sign and hung it on a stub of a branch that he had broken off on his first sail to hang it up. Occasionally he would see another branch forming there but he would break the small formations off to leave the small "hook" to hang the sign. He slung the home-made sign on the small piece of branch sticking out of the trunk and then sat down. He placed the Bay picture next to him, propped up by the trunk and pulled the sketchbook up into his lap.

Now the hardest and most annoying part of selling his paintings. The wait...

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Out with the Old

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 21st, 2012, 2:05 am

ImageImageImage

Charcoal met paper to start the picture which was redone many times. The page had many smears and smudged from erasing and starting over making the page darker and more messy looking then other sketches in the book. Though, a new line was made, curving across the page. And another. Followed by another. This continued till the lines started to form strands of hair, twirling around and forming a messy braid. Gale stopped in the middle of the braid, drawing a horizontal, light line towards the bottom of the page which would turn into the shoulders of the spouse. After making said line, he continued down the braid, making it overlap the shoulder line.

Gale paused for a moment to look up at the people passing by. No sign of anyone interested so far. He shrugged and went back to his drawing. About fifteen chimes had passed.

Gale went back up to the bottom of the braid and added a ribbon tied in a bow like she always had it. The thief's hand went back up to the top of the page to start the other braid before hesitating. He wanted it to be at a slight angle so it would probably be better if he made her facial outline before doing the second braid. He went down a little ways and started the jawline with another simple and light, horizontal line and curving it at the chin. Going up the cheek, which would barely be seen from the angle, and then going back to the braid. He repeated his first steps with the first braid till he got down to the bow.

Gale looked up once again and didn't see anyone. He shuddered when a sudden chill went down his spine from the cool weather. Maybe he should "modify" his cloak like he had done with his last shirt. He rubbed his arm absently, watching the crowd for a bit before looking down at his drawing so far. The hair was almost always fine in his attempts to draw her, but it was the face. He couldn't get the face. it had been about another fifteen chimes.

Looking down once again, he continued his picture. He went to finish the shoulders and shirt before going to the hardest part of the picture. He made straps for a dress you wouldn't see much of and then made the round collar, crossing across her chest. Making round lines directly above the edge of the page for breasts. Okay. Now the easy parts were done. Where to start on the face...Gale decided that the nose was probably a good place to start, since everything seemed to go off of the nose when making the face. He started to make the curve for the nose, oblivious to the women clearing her throat loudly in front of him, trying to catch his attention.

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Out with the Old

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 21st, 2012, 3:44 am

ImageImageImage

The lady finally spoke," Ahem. Excuse me?" She said rather loudly, making sure that he heard, even if he was hard at hearing.

Suddenly being snapped out of his own bubble and thoughts, Gale jumped a mile, the charcoal soaring across the page, making a dark, black line across it. "Dammit" The curse came out before he could stop it. He looked up at the young lady, looking to be about nineteen. She didn't look to happy with his words. He blinked, hesitant for second,"Sorry, may I help you?"

"Yes, I think you can. I see you were doing picture requests and was wondering if you could draw one of the bay for me? I would like to have it done in the next few days?"

The bay? That was so weird, the only picture he brought today was his bay picture that he made at the Quill's Rest. Perfect timing he supposed."Actually, I have one already made if you want this one." Gale set the book down and picked up the picture, holding it out to her.

She looked rather surprised but took the paper, looking at it. "That's actually pretty good." She said, still looking over it.

"I wouldn't be trying to sell it if it was anything less Ma'am." Gale responded.

After a few moments of careful consideration she says,"How much?"

"What do you think it's worth?" Gale asked. He usually sees what they think it's worth and raises it slightly. Unless it's some ridiculous price like 50 GM or 1 copper, unless it was a small, simple picture. He wasn't going to take that little for his work but he didn't want to take a huge amount either, feeling like he cheated the person, even if they wanted to give him that much for it. He tried to be honest about his prices. Or at least try.

"Hmmm. How about 5 silver?"

"Can we raise it to 1 gold?"She thought for a moment, looking between the shirtless man and the picture. Gale figured that if he was going to sell the pathetic attempt to a hopeful drawing then he would at least get something out of it. All it was doing was collecting dusk for about a season now and he did spend some more time then usual on a this picture then he normally would have. "After all, it does take time to draw such a picture. And as you probably could tell, I'm trying to get some mizas for some clothes for the fall and winter season."
What? Where did that last part come from? He had enough for a shirt, why did he tell her that? Gods, he needed to think before saying things.

A few more moments of silence from the women looking at the drawing,"Hmmmm... Okay then. I think it's reasonable enough." She pulled her bag off her shoulder and opening it up.

It wasn't until then Gale realized what she was wearing or any specific details. Dark hair, dark brown eyes, forest green dress. Gods...it dawned on him. Her voice echoing in his head like a broken record.

"DAVID!"

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Out with the Old

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

ImageImageImage

Gale's eyes widened in his realization. "I-uh-um-I-" Gale fumbled with his words awkwardly.

"What are you rambling about?" She asked, glancing at him with a curious smirk.

"I-I-nothing. Nothing at all.-er- I mean, you like the picture right?"

"Of course I do. I wouldn't be buying it if I didn't." She said pulling out a gold rimmed miza.

"Then you can have it- I mean, I really don't need it and I can easily make another-" Gale stood up quickly with a soft and short lived grunt.

"Why suddenly so generous?" She asked with the same curious smirk but having some suspicion growing.

"Well- I mean-uh-" Gale quickly thought of something to say to explain his actions,"Well-er- I'm not the best artist in town and you taking a picture from me is-"

"Ha!" The young lady rolled her eyes along with her laugh, taking his hand and placing the coin in it,"Just take. Like you said, you need some new clothes."

Gale attempted to push the coin back into her hand,"No, honestly. I don't need it."

She raised an eyebrow but pulled her hand away from his, leaving the coin behind,"Just take it. Consider it a gift." She turned around and started to walk away, rolling the picture up carefully so she can carry it easier.

"But!-" Gale said to try and say something else but stopped, knowing she wasn't going to change her mind. He watched her walk away till she disappeared into the crowd. He lifted his hand, opening it to look down at the coin. With a sigh, he stooped down to grab his charcoal and sketchbook. He stood up straight and looked at the coin again.

How come he didn't realize it was her when she first came up? He should have just taken the five silver she offered, if that at all. After all, it was an old picture and he really didn't actually need more money to buy a shirt. He had enough to buy one already....A gift....Gifting her true love's murderer....

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Out with the Old

Postby Arcane on September 24th, 2012, 2:57 am

Rewards and Treasure!

Experience Points
+2 Drawing

Lores
Irony: David's Wife the Customer

Miscellaneous
Ledger: +1gm
-Inventory: Bay Painting *Since the thread where the painting is done isn't graded, be sure to mention that you have already sold the painting in another thread when you submit that thread for grading. For obvious reasons :)

Comments
AHHH THE IRONY! I was caught unawares here by this sudden twist, good job :D

PS: I didn't mention the charcoal drawing since it seems that it is obviously a WIP that Gale would draw and redraw repeatedly. I'll award it once he actually finishes it :)

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes