Closed Into the Fire (Aidara)

Sira and Aidara try to rescue and treat victims of the forest fire near Thunder Bay.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Sira on November 13th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Sira stared in disbelief as Addy not only stood up from the flames, but came out of them completely unscathed.. though also almost completely naked, but Sira never minded that. The only sign on her body that she had even been in the fire was her flushed skin, but otherwise, she appeared perfectly fine. Finally Sira made the connection. It must have been Ivak! The gnosis must have saved her! Sira had been skeptical at first, and even a bit worried, when she found out Aidara had been marked by the very god that she had worked to keep imprisoned for so long and whose release had caused so much destruction, but she couldn't help to be grateful to him when she realized it was his doing that had just saved Aidara's life. She still didn't know what to think of the god, but she owed him one now, and she wouldn't forget. As soon as Addy determined she was okay, the healer took off again after the man.

Addy, wait, Sira called after the healer as she once again began her comical dance around the trees trying to find a way to squeeze herself and the saddle through the forest.

I..

Hop, hop.

Can't..

Squeeze, squeeze.

Keep up..

Squeeze, hop, run.

With you like this!

Sira tried her best, but Addy quickly put distance between the two of them, and when Aidara called out to Sira it was all she could do to keep from shifting and abandoning all their supplies. Addy didn't sound in pain, though she did sound frightened.. or was it just surprised. Sira couldn't tell, she had called for her out loud, and it was hard to hear from the distance they were at with all the other noises going on around them. Sira continued to battle her way through the forest, completely mortified by the difficulty she was having. Never before had her wind eagle body let her down, but on the ground among the trees she would have been much better off in her human form. It was strange to think, because even though she spent a lot of time as a human, Sira had always considered her eagle form far superior. Finally Sira arrived, poking her beak past Aidara's shoulder to get a better look at whatever the healer was staring at.

Gods.. what is this?

It looked like something out of a murder story, except none of the victims had been murdered, and they were all animals. Some of them were dead, in fact, though many of them were still alive. They were all charred or wounded in some way, and many looked like they wouldn't survive another bell even if the fire wasn't coming their way. There were a number of smaller critters, as well as an injured deer who was missing most of the fur along its right side, a nasty red burn mark in its place, and a wolf who was barely concsious due to over inhalation of smoke. The mouthless man appeared, carrying a wounded bird with him, and gently placed it on the ground next to the wolf. When he looked up he started in surprise, waving his knife frantically in front of him. He didn't approach, but he didn't flee either.

Sira quickly assessed the situation. She didn't know how or why the animals trusted him, but they were clearly allowing him to help them. They were all injured and unable to move on their own, and the strange mouthless man was trying to get them to safety. Unfortunately he wouldn't be successful, not at the rate he was going, because the fire was going to reach them eventually. There was no way he could get all the creatures to safety by himself.

Addy.. I think he's trying to save them.

After a moment or two of the three of them staring each other down, the little bird began to squirm in pain on the ground and the man averted his eyes, lowering his weapon and kneeling next to the creature. Though no sound came, it looked as if he was trying to coo the bird, and in fact it did seem to relax somewhat. He had managed to comfort it in the language of Nura, one that neither Sira nor Addy would understand, though Sira could tell from the bird that the man was not a danger to it and was indeed a friend. Sira still didn't trust the man, not completely, but she wasn't about to abandon someone who was trying to help a bunch of animals. He couldn't be that bad. Sira tried once more to speak into his mind.

Listen to me. Don't be afraid, we aren't going to hurt you. Let us help you, we can get you and all of these animals out of here, but you have to stop running, and you have to stop trying to attack us.

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on November 24th, 2012, 2:07 am

Had she not been trying to follow an almost impossible trail left by the burned no mouth man, Addy would have thought Sira’s predicament hysterical, especially the way she hopped back and forth between the trees. If Wind Eagles could dance, Addy wouldn’t have been surprised if it looked similar to what Sira was doing now.

All the humor of the situation, however, was wiped away as Addy stared in shocked horror at the scene laid out before her. Sira was not far behind, taking in the broken and burned bodies of the animals at the same time Addy did. There was a hard, painful twinge around her heart and the little healer knew that there was no way she could leave without at least trying to help the poor creatures, even if the man who had tried to attack her was standing guard over them.

How are we going to get them out of here? They don’t look like they could survive any kind of transport. A loud sizzling snap directly behind them and Addy nearly jumped out of her skin, whirling to see one of the trees Sira had gotten stuck between succumb to the harsh, hungry flames. We don’t have much time. The fire is catching up. Turning back to the injured creatures, Addy swept her cool emerald gaze over the injured, tallying in her head the extent of the damage to each; her stomach soured and dropped like a rock into her toes when she finished. There is no way I can save them all. We’re going to have to choose who to save. It was every healer’s nightmare.

Sira turned and immediately began to speak to the burned man, her voice as soft and reassuring as Addy had ever heard it, a feat she wouldn’t have been able to manage with the weight that now rested on her shoulders, the time left to them ticking swiftly away. With no time to wait for the man to calm himself, Addy started forward with her hands up in the air. “I’m going to them and I am going to help them.” Her green eyes flashed coldly when the man met her gaze, shifting his stance as if he were mere ticks from lunging at her again. “Don’t you dare come at me or it will be the last thing you do.” As if to add weight to her words, Sira clicked her beak ominously.

The deer was the first one she went too, wincing as stone and stray thorns bit into the bare skin of her knees while she knelt by the poor things side. The burn was a savage one and there was nothing she could do to actually close or heal the extreme damage done to the skin. Instead, gentle fingers moved to caress the does muzzle, her heart constricting as the creature flinched and moved its head away, trying and failing to roll into her stomach so she could stand and flee. “Shhhh, shhhh. I’m trying to help you.” Knowing that she had no way of actually communicating with the animal, Addy glanced over her shoulder and glared at the burned man. “I don’t know why you would lead us here to help them only to stand there and do nothing. I can’t do anything to this poor creature if it keeps flailing all over the place whenever I try to touch it.” Turning back to focus her gaze on her newest patient, Addy raised her voice so that the man could still hear her. “So get your petching ass over here and calm her down.”

Glancing nervously at Sira, the man moved to stand a bit closer to where Addy knelt, his hand still clutched tightly around his dagger and held away from his side. Again, those strange words were mumbled through what used to be his mouth, only a few ticks passing before the injured deer relaxed beneath Addy’s hands. I don’t think this one will survive. But we will clean her up and if she does die…. At least the meat won’t be ruined. Even thinking the words, Addy felt her stomach lurch; as much as she wanted to believe she would, without a doubt, save all the animals that lay in pain around her, the little healer knew that it simply wasn't possible.

But failure wasn't an easy thing for her to accept. Especially not with all this injury and agony surrounding her. It was all that Addy could to to keep herself from being overwhelmed by it all.

Rubbing her pointer and middle fingers over the endless knot that represented her healing gnosis, Addy closed her eyes and swifted grasped at the coil of golden power within her, breaking off a long thread and snapping it over her head like a whip. The freshly cut end of the string sliced through the air and sank into the does side; of course, this was all happening within Addy’s minds eye, but the effect was the same. Using her power to blast away the bits of bacteria and debris that had settled into the opened wound the burn created, Addy managed to draw herself from within the deer enough to send a quick request through her bond to Sira. The bandages. I need them. Holding out her hand behind her as she continued to use her power to cleanse the burn, Addy made no attempt to actually rise and retrieve the materials.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Sira on November 26th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Sira watched as Aidara tried to help the deer, glad that the strange man finally seemed to be helping them rather than trying to attack them with a knife. If he truly wanted to save the animals, he would need them to do it. Of course there was another side of Sira that just assumed she could grab as many of them in her claws as she could and fly away with them and not worry about whether they lived or died, if only to bring them back to Wind Reach for food later on. But Sira knew she could not voice that idea, not while Aidara was trying to save them. Her gnosis mark required her to at least try, which was why she had such difficulty hunting with Sira. Sira understood, however, or at least she understood why Aidara was the way she was, and she accepted that. Aidara’s comment about the deer and saving the meat surprised Sira, actually, but she did not comment on the matter. She would let the healer try for as long as she could, but if the fire got too close, she would make the hard decision for her at get them out of there before it was too late.

When Addy requested the bandages and held out her hand for them, Sira stared at it blankly for a moment, before looking back at her saddle and the bag that held what the healer wanted.

Um.. Addy..

As skilled as Sira might have been with her beak, she couldn’t perform what it took hands and fingers to do, and she couldn’t shift either. There was no way Sira could get the bandages out herself, but she also knew that Addy could not leave the deer’s side to do it either. It would have to be the mouth-less man. Sira spoke into his mind yet again, trying to sound as gentle as possible.

You need to get the bandages. Back bag, on my left.

The man’s head jerked up at the sound of Sira’s voice in his head and he eyed her skeptically, obviously afraid to approach her. Sira understood, she could have easily killed him if he wanted to just as Aidara threatened, but that would not serve their purposes. Sira needed his cooperation.

Look, we are trying to help you and these animals. The fire is almost here, and I don’t have time to wait around for you to decide if you can trust me or not. You need to get over here and get those bandages out of my bag and give to Aidara, or that deer is going to die. Stop wasting time already!

Sira’s harsh words seemed to do the trick. The man looked down at the deer, then at Aidara who was trying her best to heal it. Sira could see the change in his eyes, the acceptance of the situation, and with a nod the man jumped to his feet and ran to Sira’s side, rifling through the bags until he found the bandages he was looking for. He rushed back to the healer’s side and handed her the bandages, then quickly resumed his place at the animal’s side trying to keep it calm.

Sira could hear the crackle of flames drawing nearer, and a look over her wing confirmed her suspicion. They were running out of time. Sira hopped over to one of the animals, a rabbit, and nudged it with her beak. The bunny didn’t move, and Sira sounded in both their heads, This one is dead, leave it. She hopped over to another one of the small creatures and gave it a nudge as well. It was a squirrel, and it moved slightly, but not enough to satisfy Sira. She glanced back at Aidara and the strange man, making sure they weren’t watching, then quickly scarfed down the rodent in one gulp. It wasn’t because she was hungry, but she knew Aidara would waste precious time on the animal even though it wasn’t going to live, and if it was gone then she wouldn’t know it was ever there.

Sira moved to the bird next, and she knew right away that she couldn’t let it die. It was injured and couldn’t fly, but Sira wasn’t going to abandon her kin. She looked over at the strange man her voice sounded in their heads.

Take this one and put it in my saddle bag. Find one with something soft. Addy won’t be able to help it here, but it should live.

She didn’t to see if the man would do as she said, she knew he would, and her tone of voice offered no room for argument. Sira went to the wolf, next, and realized that of all the animals it probably had the most chance for survival. It had not yet suffered any burns, and was only coughing from too much smoke. Luckily it was unconscious and would not put up a fight either if they tried to move it.

Take this one and strap him in on my saddle, Sira ordered the mouth-less man as she lowered herself so that he could get to what he needed better. I think it will be fine, but we don’t have any more time. Sira looked over to Aidara, her golden eyes catching hers for just an instant. Addy, we have to go now. Finish up with that one then strap it in, then both of you get on and let’s get out of here. We can’t save anymore. Hurry!

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on December 13th, 2012, 4:09 am

As focused on her task as she was, Addy didn’t even notice that it was the mouthless man that handed her the rolled strips of linen, simple taking the bandages and turning back to the injured animal. Luckily for them both, the majority of the burn was around the chest and forelimbs, making it easy to wrap the clean protective fabric around the wound; Addy wouldn’t have been able to lift the beast herself and with Sira stuck in her natural form for the time being, her strength was of no use to the healer.

Nimble fingers worked quickly, twirling the end of the bandage around the deer’s front leg right below the bottom of the burn, using a turn or two of linen to hold the end in place before she carefully started angling the wrap up and over the exposed flesh. “I know, I knooow.” Her own voice almost a whimper, Addy tried to block out the low and pained moans of the deer as the bandage began to press and rub slightly against it’s wound; as gentle as Addy was being, their time was running out, leaving none to waste on finesse. Not every healer had the chance to work out in the field, but Addy had been caught outside the city and was left to tend injuries enough that she knew speed was the difference between life and death.

Keeping tension on the stretchy linen, Addy made sure that the edges of the bandages overlapped each other as she spiraled up and up, until she got to the creatures chest. The burn here was located in the middle, exposing the strong chest muscles in a red, irritated looking gash. Long and narrow, the size was manageable but the position was the problem. After a moments consideration, Addy rested the remaining rolled bandage on the deer’s flank, shuffling her position so that she could lift and place it’s head in her lap, effectively elevating its neck and giving her room to work.

Carefully, the little woman stretched the bandage up from the top of it’s leg, looping it around the back of the neck and diagonally down across the front. Twisting the fabric carefully so it laid flat as she pulled it down around the leg and back up again in the same pattern, Addy made sure to keep the pressure constant so that the bandages sat firmly against the wound. It only took three turns to completely cover the burn, the excess bandage severed while the ends were tucked and securely tied off.

Finished with her task, the sense of time that slowed while she was working sped back up and hit her full force as she stood, almost staggering the small woman; green eyes darted around, widened slightly with panic, before she caught sight of Sira where she had been chimes before, the mouthless man tucking something into the saddle packs. “I’m done here. It’s the best I can do, but it’ll only help for so long until I can clean and get some poultices on it. “ Speaking aloud for both their benefit, Addy sought Sira’s gaze with a raised brow, a questioning flick of her eyes towards the man.

Quickly informed of the small bird as well as the wolf they were meant to save, Addy moved to the fallen wolf and quickly checked him over, digging her fingers into his thick fur and running them along his sides, legs and finally his head. Though she felt no open wounds or obvious breaks, a couple times the poor beast lifted his head to snarl and snap at her. Deciding that she liked her hands and would rather have them attached to her wrists, the little woman whipped out what remained of the bandage and twisted it into a long rope, moving to the wolfs head so that she could keep it’s neck pressed flat with her knee. After he was semi-restrained, Addy held onto either end of the bandage-rope and dropped a loop down towards the beasts snout, carefully sliding it underneath without getting her hands anywhere near the deadly teeth. It was quick work to cross the strands and pull the slack tight, quickly tying off the makeshift muzzle.

“Take his back end.” Confident that, while unable to move himself, the wolf wouldn’t be put into any further danger if they followed Sira’s suggestion of moving him onto her back, Addy motioned for the man to help her as she positioned herself over the the wolfs great shaggy shoulders. It took more effort than she expected to lift him, both she and the man working in unison to lift it up off the ground and carrying it in a staggering path over to where Sira waited, hunkered down so that they could easily slide their burden onto her back behind the saddle.

With no rope at hand, Addy was forced to sacrifice the straps that held her legs down to the saddle, detaching them and using them to secure the wolf behind the saddle Is that alright? Too much weight to one side? Even as she spoke, the nearly unconscious wolf began to slide to one side, Addy darting to stop it, a sharp grunt of exertion as she fought to push it back in place. I think it’s set… now the deer.

Seeming to have guessed the plan, the man was already standing over her bandaged doe, lifting a hand to wave her over when she turned around and spotted him; Addy didn’t even have to question his urgency, the sounds of the fire growing ever louder, the smoke thicker and the heat hotter. Only one of the three effected Addy, but she knew that not everyone was heat resistant. “Legs again. Be gentle.”

Climbing back up into the saddle was difficult with the huge bulk of two animals sandwiching her in there. The burned man had to hold the deer in place while Addy situated herself, making sure that she was securely seated before she wrapped an arm around the injured deer to hold it in place, extending her free hand down towards the man.

However, he shook his head no, holding up his own hands and backing away from the pair. “What?” Shock numbed the woman, who stood dumbly at the man. “No, seriously, get over here. Take my hand.” Again, that head shook and a few more steps backwards were taken. “You’re going to die if you stay here!” The smoke was upon them then, so thick and heavy that it immediately sent Addy into a coughing fit, the acrid air stinging her eyes and forcing them closed.

Stop him! He’s gonna die! Resorting to their mental link, Addy struggled to wipe the tears born of the strong smoke from her cheeks, managing to open her eyes in time to see the man disappearing further into the woods, taking advantage of her momentary incapacitation to escape.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Sira on January 14th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Sira remained still as the animals were loaded onto her back, moving only when it was necessary to make it easier for them to get the job done. Normally she was extremely fussy, but this was life and death, and she wasn't going to complain about being uncomfortable when her own, and more importantly Aidara's, lives depended on it. While it took a few attempts, they were indeed able to get both the animals strapped in, and soon enough Aidara was up in the saddle and reaching out for the man on the ground. Sira watched him shake his head and back away, and immediately she knew it was pointless to try anymore. When the smoke clouded her vision, she stood up.

It's too late for him, Addy. We are going.

Sira didn't allow Aidara to argue. This wasn't one of those cases where Sira would do anything the healer asked of her. Addy's life was on the line, and that was more important than some mouthless weirdo's life. Sira spread her wings and started to fly. Really, the only thing that would stop her is if Aidara jumped off her back and chased after the man, something Sira was really hoping that the healer would not do. The fire was too close, and they couldn't afford to wast any more time. They'd already wasted enough.

We need to get these animals to Thunder Bay. We can look for him after. It was a lie, the man would likely be dead in a few chimes, but maybe it would satisfy the woman until Sira could get away from the fire.

OOCShort post.. couldn't think of what to do. It depends on what Addy does.

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on February 10th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Precious ticks were wasted as Addy took a few running steps after the fleeing man, despite Sira’s mention of another rescue mission. Though it pained her to have to make the decision, self-preservation won out as the little woman tore her bloodshot gaze from the trees, tears that had nothing to do with the smoke streaming down her cheeks as she vaulted onto Sira’s back and urged her into the sky.

Getting above the smoke and out of the hungry flames reach was more difficult than it had been upon landing. Smoke filled air made for terrible flying conditions, Sira, Addy and all the animals they had managed to save choking and sputtering at the heavy airs last ditch attempt to harm them as it lingered in their lungs and nostrils.

The plumes of smoke rose so high into the sky that the little healer thought they would never be free of the gray death; it was impossible to tell how far the smoke stretched in either direction, so the only other option was to go up. And up. And up until Sira was able to shoot out of the smoke and into the clean air above.

Addy nearly wept when the first fresh gust hit her smack in the face and chest, knocking her backwards even as it stoke the smoky air from her lungs. More than glad to let the noxious stuff go, Addy couldn’t help but pump her fist into the air. It was a minor success, but she would take it. Be careful if the wind is picking up. It could blow the smoke right back around us again. Wiping at her streaming eyes and succumbing to a coughing fit, Addy tried to right herself on the saddle and hunker down against Sira’s feathery neck. Despite her good spirits at getting free of the burning forest, there was still the weight of guilt upon her shoulders.

But they had to do what they had to do and despite her personal feelings, Addy knew they had to get the creatures back to the Bay while they still lived. Though she and Sira had always shared the ability to pass images back and forth when words wouldn’t do, it was a feature of their bond they didn’t utilize often. However, exhausted and suffering from too long exposure to smoke, Addy was unable to keep the images of the burned man that guilt kept streaming through her mind from transferring over to Sira.

By the time they made it to the bay, Addy was almost unconscious, the animals she had saved already long gone into the painless state. When Sira landed, habit allowed the little healer to slide from the saddle onto the ground, where her legs refused to support her and she collapsed into a pile in the dirt. “Why…. Do these things… always end… with me passing out…?” Attempting a smile, Addy reached for her lover before she did just that.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Sira on February 26th, 2013, 6:18 pm

When Addy awoke she found herself in a tent, the sun streaming in through the flaps. She could still smell the smoke in the air from the forest burning not far away, and outside she could hear cries of pain mingled with shouts from healers and their assistants to do this or that, every once and awhile accompanied by the screech of a wind eagle and the beating of wings. She had only been out for a bell, but the healer had no way of knowing that. In a chair to her right Sira was sitting, wrapped in a katinu they had loaned to her, her head dropped to one side apparently dozing off. Addy wasn't the only person in the room, there were others, all of them with only very minor injuries or wounds, some of them coughing from smoke inhalation, but mostly with only superficial wounds. She was in the tent set aside for those who did not need intense care.

Sira broke into a fit of coughing, knocking the katinu from her shoulders revealing her bare body. She was covered in burns and scratches. In her eagle form, many of her feathers had been singed, and she had suffered more from the heat than Aidara had realized. They had cut it very close, and Sira had to push her way through the burning canopy to break out into the open air. The smoke took it's toll on her lungs as well. Overall, none of her wounds were terribly bad, but she had suffered as had everyone involved in the fire.

The coughing woke Sira, though it took her a moment to recover. She coughed for a good half-chime before she was finally able to catch her breath and sit back up, gently pulling the katinu over her burned shoulders before she noticed that Aidara was awake. Sira's eyes widened instantly and she jumped to her feet, running over to the healer and wrapping her arms around her, only barely wincing at the pain as her burned skin brushed against what was left of Addy's burned clothes.

"Addy, I was so worried! I'm so glad you're okay!"

After a good chime of hugging and kissing and checking to make sure Addy was seeing straight, and a number of other minor things Aidara had taught Sira to check for when somebody passed out, things that Sira didn't even realize she knew how to do, the kelvic finally stepped back and allowed the woman some space. She was thrilled that Aidara was awake again, but she knew the healer would have questions. About the animals. About everything else that was going on. About Sira's burns. Now that it appeared Addy was okay, Sira was ready to answer them all.

Last edited by Sira on June 3rd, 2013, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on April 23rd, 2013, 8:16 pm

A soft breeze that slipped past the flaps of the tent gently tickled Addy awake, brushing strands of dark red hair across her face, the sensation just irritating enough that the little woman roused from unconsciousness to swat a sleep laden hand at the offending locks. Soft light trickled through the loose knit of the canvas stretched above her, blocking out the harshest of Syna kiss as it slowly descended towards the horizon to make room for Leth in the sky. It was a gentle sort of waking that caused Addy to smile and begin to stretch, arms moving above her head while her toes pointed beneath the rough blanket spread over her.

It was nice, until her ears woke up and the sound of the waking world shattered her peaceful one. Sira was there in a flurry, her voice broken with strain, weariness, and something else that made Addy immediately frown. Sitting took no effort as her bondmate helped her upright, wrapping herself tight and continuing her worried babble. “Hey…” Addy’s first attempt at speech was a failure, the word falling from her tongue in nothing more than a crackling wheeze; it seemed the smoke had done a number on her as well. But Sira was insistent, and Addy didn’t need much convincing to take a moment or two filled with relieved kisses and nuzzles.

Clearing her throat until the dry burn subsided, the little woman tried again, pushing gentle at Sira’s shoulders when the cough took her, pressing her back into a sitting position. “Hey, I’m okay. Calm down, you’re only going to hurt yourself more.” When Sira resisted, as she always did, Addy lowered one brow and arched the other, her lips puckering while she still managed a frown. “I said sit.” The sensitive pads of her fingers had brushed over the crisped flesh on her lovers arm, nor had she missed the myriad of scratches. “You’re hurt far worse than I am.”

Leaning so that she could pull a tent flap aside, Addy shouted for someone to bring her burn ointment and bandages, reaching her hands out expectantly; it didn’t take more than a moment or two before the requested items were placed carefully into her waiting palms by a faceless individual who received a murmured thanks. Sira’s burns were tended too first as she spoke, forgoing the use of her gnosis in order to bandage her bondmate the proper way; some things just required the intimate care of touch.

“What happened? I don’t remember most of it, after we reached those poor animals.” The cream was slathered gently in a thick coat over Sira’s burned shoulder, two fingers moving to make sure that every inch was covered generously. The bandage was unrolled next and spread over the area to wrap snugly down over her arm. “Try not to move it too much or the bandage will just cause irritation. This is mostly to just keep the cream from being wiped away accidentally.” The burn on her arm and back were treated similarly, though the larger of the two was left without a bandage, since there was not enough to wrap completely around her torso.

The scrapes on her arms were slathered with a different medicine, this one stinging slightly as it was rubbed into the torn flesh; Addy held Sira’s wrist tightly in the small fingers of her free hand as she did so, knowing right well that the Kelvic woman would want nothing to do with the stinging ointment. “I can’t do anything for our coughs, other than tea and rest.” The little healer murmured as she worked, almost as if speaking out loud was helping her process the information Sira was giving her. “I’m glad we’re both okay… but those people in the forest…” Addy stopped and looked up at her bondmate, her hands covered in the different medicinal creams, her eyes wide and bright with the tears she fought to keep unshed. Failure in this sense was far worse than a bunk hunting trip
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Sira on June 3rd, 2013, 10:41 pm

Even though some of it stinged, the care Addy was giving her made Sira close her eyes and practically purr with pleasure.. if birds purred, but they don't, but she still let out a pleased groan as the burn ointment was applied. Sira never questioned Addy's reasoning for not using her gnosis to heal people. She assumed there was some sort of rule or restriction the healer was following, and while the magical healing was nice, Sira couldn't deny that she enjoyed the attention of hands on care. At least when Addy was doing it. If it were another healer they had damned well better just use their magic and get it over with!

Of course Aidara had questions. Sira knew she would, and she had rehearsed her answers over and over while the healer slept. And then when Aidara woke, Sira completely forgot it all, and her answers came out in an unprepared tumult of information.

"That crazy petcher nearly got us burned alive! Well.. me anyway! The trees were burning when I got us out of there. It ruined some of my favorite feathers! The animals are fine, they're in another tent with some other animals. I don't know what happened to the crazy man, or who he was, but I think they got everybody else out of the forest. It's still burning, but it's going away from us now. Thunder Bay is safe. I don't know what was wrong with that guy, or what was going on with his lips. But there was nothing we could do. He couldn't accept our help, and the fire was too close. I had to fly.. there wasn't anything we could do."

Sira paused, staring Addy right in the eyes. She wanted to make sure the healer understood. She didn't want her to feel guilty.

"He wouldn't let us help him, and I had to save you and the animals. He made his choice. Anyway, the Valintar says we can't go back out there. Nobody can. The fire just has to run it's course now.. so, it's over. We can head home whenever we're feeling up to it."

Sira reached out an took the healer's wrist, pulling her into an embrace. They had been through their share of scares, but fire was not something Sira could fight. Even if Addy was immune to the flame, something else might have killed her.

"I love you, Aidara. Don't scare me like that again."

OOCYou should be able to wrap up in the next post, I think.

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into the Fire (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on June 5th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Taking care of Sira helped Addy take her mind off of those she hadn’t been able to help. Perhaps she took more time on her bondmate than was completely necessary, but with every sweep of the cooling ointment Addy felt some of the tension leaving her shoulders, her back, her neck. It had been a whirlwind of a day and it had left a lot on the little woman’s mind.

Luckily, Sira was competent enough in reading Addy that she recognized the signs, speaking up before Addy was sucked completely inwards by her emotions; those times weren’t fun for the little woman, who eventually ended up beating herself beyond anything helpful. “I don’t blame you. I could never blame you.”

It was true. Of the two of them, Sira had her head more firmly on her shoulders, where as Addy was ruled by her emotions. “I would have died in there trying to save everyone. You saved me.” Leaning in with a sad smile, Addy placed a soft kiss on Sira’s lips, fingers of the hand not covered in burn cream smoothing out the fiery kinks of the Kelvic’s hair. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

The woman shared the private moment, lost in their own world until Addy felt a prickling on the back of her neck that spoke of someone watching. Turning away from Sira, Addy caught a glimpse of the entire medical team rushing back into action so that they wouldn’t be caught staring. “Private moment, indeed.” Smiling Addy pushed herself away from Sira’s bedside and grabbed a cloth to wipe the cream from her hands. “I have to help them. I’ll be back.”

Sira grabbed her and pulled her back as she turned away, capturing her in an embrace that, while it awoke the butterflies in Addy’s stomach, also smeared her with the healing ointment. “Look what you did!” Wrinkling her nose and swatting Sira’s hands away, Addy set to wiping herself clean as she ducked out of the tent, a little laugh bouncing in her wake.

“I guess I love you too… sometimes.”
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext