Flashback Impromptu Instruction (Jasper)

As Tourmal finishes sharpening what he thought to be his last project before lunch an attractive young drykas woman, jasper enters the tent determined to find a sparring partner.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Impromptu Instruction (Jasper)

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 24th, 2012, 2:34 am

Tourmal, Summer 23, 510 AV

Tourmal had been working the morning sharpening the weapons of the denizens of the city of tents whenever they came in. He himself wore a light hammer at his side only having minor experience using it, which never needed sharpening. He supposed that swinging a hammer couldn't be that hard considering he did so every day at the forge. Though it was a little lighter than his tool he used for working metal. Despite his preference for hammer weapons, he had no ill feelings towards those with sharpened edges. In fact some of his favorite creations were those of the bladed variety.

It was still early in the day, a few bells before the sun reached it's apex. And Tourmal was sitting at a grinding stone owned by a local smithy. Though his forge was not large enough to share with Tourmal he allowed the large man to deal with the customers that came in regularly taking care of small jobs like sharpening knives, daggers, swords and axes. There were many warriors and hunters that occupied the tent city. Keeping the sprawling civilization fed and protected required well maintained tools. Even though many of them could do so themselves, they did not always have time.

Tourmal grabbed a longsword that had been turned in a few bells earlier. As he examined the blade he saw many notches along the edge, along with a few gouges across the central ridge and fuller where it had crossed with another. “Hello there, I bet you have a few stories to tell.” Though of average quality Tourmal imagined that this sword had it's share of battles. Tourmal wished he could speak to many of the weapons he came across. He knew all he had to do was speak to the owners to find out the stories they held. However speaking usually involved two sides of a conversation. Since the death of his brother he had only really enjoyed the company of women, but not for conversation. There were only an handful of people he had opened up to and the number wasn't increasing rapidly.

Despite his reclusive nature the tall Drykas man still enjoyed a good story. He often found himself around the central bonfire at night listening to the exploits of the great warriors and hunters of the traveling city of tents. He had hoped some day that he would have tales as great to tell. Instead he had a long list of nameless women that he had wooed, or they him. Who would pass that down. For now though his focus was on making weapons that bards would tell tales of for centuries to come.

Returning his focus to the sword in hand he started peddling the grindstone slowly increasing its rotation speed till it would restore the edge it had sported previously, before it had undergone whatever it's master had subjected it to. Then he placed the edge of the blade up to the grindstone at a good enough angle to provide it a sharp enough edge to cut through flesh with the swing of the arms. Just as his childhood master taught him that on a sword it was imperative to not give it a razor sharp edge. This was because if the sword made contact with another edge to edge it would likely chip or even break on impact with enough force.

Just when Tourmal had finished putting a keen edge on a longsword a young attractive girl walked into the tent looking around and spotted Tourmal. He stood up and placed the longsword on a bench, saying “I'll be right with you miss” as he walked to the back entrance of the tent. Opening the flap, and stepping outside he said “I just finished sharpening the longsword from earlier. There is a young filly out front, after I help her I'll be off for lunch and should be back in a few bells.” “Thanks for the help Tourmal” the man replied “with those darn diamond clansmen keeping at their sparring, I'd be bogged down if it weren't for you. I suppose if it weren't for them I would have a hard time making a living now wouldn' I?” Tourmal nodded in agreement attached to a slight smile.

Tourmal was appreciative for the work since he would be staying in Endrykas throughout the summer. He did want to continue his craft however work was work and it allowed him to keep out of the Firemane pavillion. He and his elder brother were constantly at each others throats.

OOCSorry for how long it is and for forcing your character into the tent It just felt the like the best way to introduce Jasper in this setting.
Last edited by Tourmal Firemane on September 28th, 2012, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Words: 178467
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2012, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Flashback] Impromptu Instruction (Jasper)

Postby Jasper Rainsong on September 26th, 2012, 3:41 am

OOCNo, problem. Sorry mine's a little short

Jasper wandered around the tent aimlessly as she waited for the man to return. She had spent the majority of the morning walking through pavilion after pavilion, searching for a sparing partner. The majority of the people that she had asked so far had either been too busy or they had been unwilling to waste their time "playing with a little girl", and those that had spared enough time to spar with her had only shown off.

Jasper sighed, frustrated. Usually she would just train with her brothers, but with them off either hunting or attempting to seduce every woman in sight she had been left to her own devices, which was never a good idea.

She had been thinking about giving up and returning to her pavilion when she had wondered across the smiths tent. Frowning she rested her hand on the pommel of her tulwar wondering if she should go ahead and get it sharpened or not, she could even ask if the man was interested in a fight. The man was probably busy with work, but you would never know the answer to a question until you asked it.

Reaching back, Jasper wound her long hair into a simple plait, securing it with a leather band around her wrist. At the sound of the mans return caught her ears she turned an excited smile slipping onto her face.
Last edited by Jasper Rainsong on October 4th, 2012, 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Words: 25242
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2012, 6:57 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 26th, 2012, 10:12 pm

As he pulled back the flap he saw the young woman standing where he had left patiently waiting wearing a smile on her face. As he approached her he looked her up and down. The lass was of average height and weight, she was wearing a white shirt with gray pants. Judging from her stance and clothing along with the sword that was attached to her hip he assumed she was of the diamond clan. A somewhat safe assumption he guessed. Especially since most of the customers he had that day were of the same clan. The young woman had a lean body with piercing gray eyes. Her hair was dark brown and done up in a simple fashion to the side of her head. Her facial features were soft and elegant, small round nose, pink supple lips, but her eyes. Tourmal could not escape them, they were large, round and showed an abundance of excitement.

Tourmal wondered what about. She was a looker, this one. The green eyed drykas went over some more savory thoughts in his mind in the few seconds as he walked up to her. Then with an extended blink and a slight shake of his head the man pushed all his previous thoughts aside “What can I help you with today?” he queried with a friendly smile.

“Would you like your friend sharpened?” the man said tilting his head toward her hip. He thought this a good choice of word, judging by the lack of wear on her scabbard it was either new or she took good care of it. A look at the scabbard told him that it was either a scimitar, sabre, tulwar or another of the curved backswords. Tourmal had never made any, and had only sharpened scimitars most of these swords had little difference in how they were shaped. And were all sharpened in the same manner. Or would you like something else miss?
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jasper Rainsong on September 27th, 2012, 8:59 am

"I'd like to spar with you." Jasper stated firmly, cutting straight to the point as usual, trying to hold back a blush and an embarrassed stutter as the mans eyes moved up and down her body. She assessed the man quickly in return, sizing him up as she admired the bronze tint of his skin and the strong set of his jaw. Blushing slightly Jasper stuck her hand out as she introduced herself.

"I'm Jasper Rainsong, of the Diamond clan. I've been looking for a sparring partner all morning and i'd be really appreciative if you'd lend me a hand with my training." Jas persuaded, fluttering her eyelashes a few times for extra effect. In no way could Jasper say that she felt entirely comfortable acting like a flirtatious hormonal girl but usually- especially with men- it helped her to get where she wanted much faster.

"However my blade probably will need sharpening later." She added thoughtfully, speaking more to herself than to the man before her as she ran her hand over the tulwars pommel.

"I know it's an odd request - especially from a stranger - but there's no one else that can spare me any time. I'd owe you one" Jasper offered before flushing again, only just realising that she had been babbling.
Last edited by Jasper Rainsong on October 4th, 2012, 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 27th, 2012, 4:50 pm

“Hmm...” Tourmal said placing his hand on the light hammer at his side, giving it a look. “Well I just finished all my work and was about to go for lunch. Would you mind grabbing a small bite first?” Just as he finished his stomach growled like a bear out of hibernation. “As you can hear I'm famished.” As the young woman stuck her hand out Tourmal missed her face being flushed distracted by his stomach.

In reaction to hers he handed her his hand “Nice to meet you Jasper, I am Tourmal Firmane of the Ruby clan.” as he let go he looked down to his red shirt exhibiting the colors of his clan. “Is that so? Well I would be delighted to help a damsel in distress.” She had obviously had some experience with requests from men and though he knew what she was doing he could not resist her wiles. As he looked at her size he knew she was in good condition but could not tell how good she was with her weapon. He thought how good could she be? Besides this would be a great time to work on his ability with his light hammer, having only had but a few sparring sessions with one of the guys from work.

“I can take care of that for you after the session if you would like. I'll have it ready for you by tomorrow.” He could not give up a chance at some work. The man needed money to keep his mug full of ale and his stomach full of food while he visited. No matter how much his family requested he would not let himself be a burden on them, he knew what his brother would say if he did.

“It's not odd” even though he had never been requested to spar with a stranger before, considering she was of the Diamond clan it seemed reasonable. Don't worry about paying me back lunch with a pretty woman would be payment enough. “So you wanna head over around the Emerald pavilions really quick before we get to this? Just a tick.”

Tourmal jogged to the back flap pulled it back and yelled “Ooi'! Do you think you can take care of the shop without my help for the rest of the day?” “Sure go ahead you have helped plenty today” the older man replied “Thanks again” As he dropped the flap and turned around he said “ Now I'm ready” and with that he motioned to Jasper out the tent and followed through. Not with out a quick glance at her back side as she exited of course. Nice.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jasper Rainsong on September 29th, 2012, 6:22 am

"Sure, that would be good actually. I haven't eaten yet either." Jasper agreed, smiling. Shaking his hand Jas bristled at the 'Damsel in Distress' remark, I was hardly in distress and i am not a damsel! She thought to herself pouting gently.

She wondered if she would be able to hold her own against the hammer weilding man, as a hammer was something that she had no experiance sparing with before. "That would be great." Jasper agreed, glancing down at her sword fondly.

Glancing back up in surprise Jasper frowned. "Theres no need for that, i have money, i can pay. Besides, you're the one doing me a favour." Shaking her head Jas sighed. "Whatever, we can argue when we get there." She said, a slight smile gracing her lips once again.

Exiting the tent Jasper began to walk in the direction of the Emerald Pavilion. "Are you new?" She asked, refuring to his employment at the Blacksmiths. "I don't think i've ever seen you there before." She glanced over her shoulder at Tourmal.
Last edited by Jasper Rainsong on October 4th, 2012, 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 30th, 2012, 2:41 am

Tourmal was relieved that she was willing to eat before hand. Good thing most people held to three meals a day. Otherwise he would likely faint in the midst of their session. This had happened to him before while practicing with his friend from work. His first day, he underestimated his hunger and over exerted himself. After a particularly heavy swing and miss as he tried to reestablish his stance. The effort was too much and lost consciousness.

The man was happy to hear that he had established some work for later. “Alright, I'm glad I can help.” Tourmal didn't understand how she thought he would pay for someone he had just met. But either way he would take what help he could get.

After his delightful glance. He subconsciously positioned himself to her left side. Not realizing that his job had effected how easily his neck turned to one side or the other. It was easier for him to look right than left. As he was doing so she asked if he was new. In fact he was somewhat new. He had only worked there the end of the summer before after spending most of it at home in the pavilion. Something he would not make the mistake of doing this year. He spent a considerable time carving ideas for work. Or trying to, he was not adept at carving by any means. “Yea kind of. I started last summer. And I only visit this time of year. So you might have missed me.” he said. “I know that I didn't see you last summer. I would have remembered a budding beauty as yourself. What where you doing back then?”

As they continued their trek to their eventual destinations, Tourmal could not take his mind off of what he was going to get. This was unusual for him, normally he would be thinking about the girl walking next to him. He was indeed very hungry. Would he have some kind of foul? Maybe he would have a nice steak? Hmm... Ultimately he would settle for a basic meal of bread a mug of ale and some kind of roast. But it never hurt to dream did it. “So you have searched the whole morning and could not get anyone to help?” He asked quizzically. “How is that possible. We have had tons of work all morning there must be hundreds of drykas sparring here.” Tourmal was flabbergasted there must have been someone. “ I guess if this lovely little lady needed help he would provide it no matter what it was. Even if she needed someone to shovel up striders manure. Well maybe not that. Not yet at least.

Finally they reached their destination. There was a string of tents that housed differing types of food stuffs, Some were ale, others wine. Many fresh vegetables, and cooked turkey legs to entire spit roasted hogs. The food looked wholesome however Tourmal knew that his eyes were larger than his coin purse.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jasper Rainsong on September 30th, 2012, 10:45 am

Jasper nodded as she listened to his explanation. That makes sense.. She thought to herself. "So you don't live in Endrykas?" She asked, entwining her fingers behind her back and kicking at a pebble.

"Well, my mother spent most of last summer trying to find a suitable man to marry me off too. Her expectations are quiet high and the standards of the men she picked were as well. Apparently I’m not 'fit for mothering'." She said, quoting one of her mother’s particular offensive and irritable choices. "It was awful, she forbid me to train, even with my brothers and made me wear all these horribly uncomfortable clothes, and dresses." Jasper shuddered at the thought. Dresses she decided, are the most impractical thing a woman can be made to suffer through.

Looking down, Jasper sidled closer to Tourmal to avoid treading on a group of small toddlers playing with their small, wooden horses. Jasper smiled gently as one looked up at her, waving a chubby little hand and giggling. Jasper waved back, the girls hiccupping cackles wringing from Jasper a laugh of her own. Moving back to the distance they had previously had Jasper smirked, glancing at Tourmal's face as she spoke.
"Whenever i have spare time I’m usually looking for someone to spar with or looking for anything exciting to do. Most of the people in the Diamond clan know me, or if not me then my brothers. We have tendency to cause trouble, especially when we were younger. Because of that most either hold a grudge against up or don't want to get involved." Jasper laughed again, looking around as the wonderful aroma of cooked meat found her nose.
Last edited by Jasper Rainsong on October 4th, 2012, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Tourmal Firemane on October 2nd, 2012, 5:36 pm

“No, I live in Syliras, Like I said before I just visit in the summers.” Tourmal listened to Jasper's story of how her mother had deemed her incapable of becoming one. “Have you lived in Endrykas all your life?” If she had that might explain her mothers opinion of how women should be. Back when he was younger he always remembered the girls who lived away from Endrykas that participated in the annual games to have been some of the best of their sex. Many skilled riders, and just as many skilled in the use of weapons. It seemed to him that when living in the grass sea everyone must learn some kind of self defense. Which did not explain his own lack in this area. This painted a strange picture of her mother in his perspective.

“Sounds horrible” He said attempting to put some empathy in his tone. Truth was he had no idea what she was talking about having never worn such things. So he took her word for it. He had met another girl though who seemed rather fond of the things. A few years back when he was working for the jeweler, he had a coworker who regularly dressed as such and always seemed to walk in glowing proud and bright as a star. That was Syliras though completely safe compared to the wilds of the grass.

As walking by the toddlers Tourmal looked at them and smilled, and noticed Jasper closing the space between them for a second only to return it to as it was. This got his hopes up only slightly. Though that did not mean that he would not have another chance. Who knows maybe we will hit it off at dinner. “Well consider yourself lucky I'm not here long enough to have heard of your reputaion.”The smell of the food tents was irresistible. As he neared the stalls and made his order picking a common assortment of foods and a mug of ale to wash it down he looked about the tables set out and found an open spot. “Jas, there is an open spot over there” he said as he motioned to the location. As he walked over and sat down he unconsciously scanned the area for any attractive looking girls within the vicinity. A very bad habit to have when accompanied by someone you have found interest in.

After Jasper sat he looked at his plate and hers and realized the vast difference in their portions. As looking at her plate he raised his eyebrows, non verbally saying that's all? Then he looked back down at his plate and with a satisfied grunt he thrust his fork into his meal and began to eat.

After a few bites and chasing it with a drink “So since you don't look forward to being someones wife, what is it you look to accomplish with all this sparring?”
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jasper Rainsong on October 4th, 2012, 5:49 am

"Yes. I want to travel though. Have you been anywhere other that Syliras?" She asked curiously, running all the wonderful and amazing places that she had heard of from the few travellers that had meetup with Endrykas. She had visited Riverfall once or twice but had never spent enough time there to truly explore the mountainous city.

Jasper smiled at the comment of her reputation but didn't reply, her attention moving instead to the many foods on show in stalls surrounding. As Tourmal moved off to buy his meal Jasper did the same, finally settling on a chunk of chicken, some cheese and bread.

Sitting at the table Tourmal pointed out Jasper began to pick at her food, wondering what she should eat first. She too had a mug of ale, though hers was mixed with honey, more to her tastes. She found that the bitterness of unflavoured ale practically made her toes curl. Jasper grinned at his question.
"I want to join the Watch. I may marry one day, but no time soon. For the moment I'm focused on the Watch."
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next