Flashback Talons Of The Wingless (Sarel)

The Greco Hut offers traing to those that wish it..will you come?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Talons Of The Wingless (Sarel)

Postby Alori Sai on September 24th, 2012, 6:43 am

Timestamp: 20th of Summer 509 AV
Where: The Unforgiving (The Greco Hut)
Who: Aela, Sarel

Aela had made her way to the Greco Hut by way of a wagon. The ride there had been long and boring. If not for the rough terrain and constant babble of the driver, the young teen might have fallen asleep. Once she arrived the place was anything but what she expected. It was a house of sorts, nothing like what was in Wind Reach, and from the outside it looked small. Which gave her the impression that the lessons must occur outside.

She stood just in front of the walk way and studied the place more, as if trying to learn or uncover more about the place before she went inside. Aela had come to train at the hut, and to learn to use a talon sword. The idea had come to her earlier and she wondered if learning to use a bow would be enough. It was possible though, as even the Endal didn't all use talon swords, but she figured it was worth a try.

Aela had stepped inside and the apprentice Avora was very surprised at what she found. The building looked larger than she had thought, and the sections patted out to mimic the different styles of terrain was especially interesting. Aela had met with Archeron, and his assistant Marlene. His demeanor wasn't as friendly, but Marlene was very sweet and even complimented her on being cute. They seemed like a strange pairing, as their personalities were completely different, but she wasn't there to judge them.

As it happened, giving the teen a disappointing blow, she wasn't ready to start her training yet. At least not inside with the terrain. For new comers who had no training at all, Archeron had a special place set up for them to practice. He led her outside and around to the far side of the hut where two large, humanoid shaped logs were staked into the ground. Each one holding smaller logs that were tied together by ropes on each side toward the tops and bottoms of the large log. This was where those not used to handling a sword or staff started their training. The purpose was to build strength in the users arms and back to allow for a more powerful strike.

Aela had been practicing for more than a bell and was starting to get tired. Her long red hair, though tied off into a ponytail at the back of her neck, was a bit disheveled because of the heat and winds. Strains hung loose and stuck to the sweat at her forehead and cheeks. The green vinati she wore turned dark around the bust and back, while beads of sweat covered her arms and legs. Her arms were starting to feel sore, and there was a numbness growing in her hands from holding tightly to the handle of the sword as she struck the logs.

Again and again she struck the log, always stepping forward to lean into the swing, before moving back into place. She did this over and over again until she felt a slight burning in her thighs. Aela was disappointed, at the turn of the day. She had expected more, had expected to actually train. She understood that he wanted her to learn to hold and swing the sword, but she was past that now and ready to really start. The brash teen grunted, her arms lifting up and swinging down hard sending the talon blade deep into the arm of the logged figure. If that wasn't enough to show her strength, then she didn't know what would. "Petch this, I'm going inside, and he's going to train me."
Last edited by Alori Sai on October 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Sarel on September 24th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Sarel had taken the same wagon as the girl down to greco's hut down into the unforgiving. Not really speaking a word to the girl during the entire trip, he was just laying semi comfortably in the back of the cart with his eyes closed. The sword his master had forged for him lying at his his side, just relaxing and focusing on the rays of the sun that warmed him, the gentle sound of a cabbeling river not to far away, the chirping of some of the birds. It was still quite breezy and to be honest, it could be a lot warmer to be the perfect summer day. But honestly, this one wasn't that bad. While waiting for the cart to get all the way down to greco's hut he just let his mind wander towards the last time his master had sent him down to learn how to use the gift he had been given. And his disappointment at the fact he didn't get more then a few pointers from the old man before being showed the backyard and told to practice what he said on his own for a while. He really hoped he was allowed to quit the dummies soon and learn inside how to fight for real, but then again, impatience never solved anything couple that with the fact that insisting you where ready for more advanced stuff while you didn't properly comprehend the basics that came before it only made you look for a fool.

The chart suddenly stopped with a short shock, pulling the scarred young blacksmith out of his reverie. He grabbed his talon sword and made his way of the chart. “Thanks for carting both of us all over to here.” The man just gave him a noncommittal shrug before putting his cart in motion again. Sarel walked over towards Greco's hut in a leasurly pace to let Acheron and his live in apprentice know he was over. He had all the time in the world, besides, they probably where bussy explaining things to the other young girl that had darted of towards it as soon as the cart stopped.
He passed the disappointed young girl who was making her way towards the practice dummies in the backyard and gave his quick hello the both of them and handed over the money they charged him for usage of the terrain and occasional advice acheron would dispense.

He made his way towards the terrain where the young girl as already wildly hacking in on one of the dummies. He walked up towards the one that wasn't taken and held his sword, fixing his grip just like Acheron had told him how to hold his talon sword last time, a firm, but not to tight that his hands couldn't slide over the long grip anymore. Half of the combat tecniques for this kind of sword relied on the ability to slide over the handle and maximize their force in the least possible space. Well that was what he got from Acheron's explanation. He took up position in front of the dummy and did a diagonal slash downward towards the dummy, trying to copy what the man had explained to him. He started with his dominant hand at the top of the handle and let it slide towards the back of it. the tempered steel biting deep into the wood of the dummy's shoulder.

He had just pulled out his talon sword from the wooden dummy when he heard the young girl curse the man inside.
“I really doubt he is going to change his mind about that if you go up towards him like that.” Sarel spoke up. “Demanding him to train you while you didn't even last that long doing some work by yourself really doesn't make you look any better in his eyes.”
Sarel
Player

Words: 10663
Joined roleplay: September 9th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alori Sai on September 26th, 2012, 12:59 am

Aela wrapped her small fingers around the long handle of the talon sword, and with a triumphant pull upward was able to retrieve her sword from the arm of the wooden figure. She took a breath, her eyes studying the nicks and cuts that she had just ripped into the wooden pieces. A small bit of pride swelled in her chest as she breathed out, even allowing a subtle glint of a smile to form at her lips. "I think I'm ready now."

Turing to head back inside, a new bounce in her step, Aela paused when she heard a voice speaking to her. She turned around curiously looking in the direction that she heard the voice come from. It was a man, the same man that had arrived with her on the wagon. She had been so focused on chopping the blocks that she hadn't even noticed that she wasn't alone anymore. "What?"

Aela narrowed her eyes, and folded her arms over her chest, as she turned to face him directly. She'd seen this man before in the city, but never spoke with him. Even so, she found herself irritated with him. The man hadn't spoken a word to her ever, and even on the ride to the hut. Yet suddenly he was offering her advice. She shook her head a bit, combing the wayward strains away from her eyes. It wasn't that she hated getting advice, but she had practiced with the still dummy enough. It was time for her to move on to something more advanced.

Aela had been told a few years back, that she had a gift when it came to glass blowing. As much of a compliment as it was, being a glass blower was never her dream. The Avora-to-be had much higher goals for herself, and she knew that she would be great in those as well. However, this older man seemed to think that he had something to offer her, even though he was training in the beginners area just as she was.
"I think I know what I'm doing, don't worry about me."

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sarel on October 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm

“I'm sure you do.” Sarel said in an honest tone as he readjusted his grip again to the right way. He just kept slipping away from it when he tried to . “I just doubt that whatever you are going to do is going to convince him to help you.” he continued. “Acheron is a master swordsman that has been teaching for quite a long time and he isn't the type of teacher to let people who learn under him waste their time with useless tasks. And I doubt one can really get an exercise if they have spent such a short amount of time on it.” sarel tried to let his advice sound as if he wasn't accusing her of being overconfident and way to eager to get into the difficult stuff while she didn't even know the basics of the basics.

“Since Acheron is a good teacher I doubt he would let you do the more difficult training. A novice will hurt himself when he tries things that are above his skill.” Sarel tried to explain but the fact that she was already a lost cause was slowly becoming clear to him. Even to somebody who didn't know anything about reading body language it was obvious, the crossed arms, the defiant look in her eyes. Not to mention the tone of annoyance when she told him she knew what she was doing. Whatever he was saying she was determined to let make a fool out of herself.
Sarel
Player

Words: 10663
Joined roleplay: September 9th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alori Sai on October 5th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Aela stared at the man hard, he wasn't much to look at, and he wasn't an Endal, or even an accomplished hunter. But yet, that still didn't stop him from trying to boss her around. He spoke of the trainers in the hut as if he knew them closely. She started to wonder if he had been coming there to train for a long time, and if that was the case. He must be the worst student ever to still be training on the outside for such a long time.

It was a funny thought really, but Aela wasn't in the mood for it, and she didn't intend on following his rather lame training practices. "If you know so much then why don't you convince him to teach us. Unless you'd rather spend all your time with that dummy, instead of learning real skills."With those final words, she rolled her eyes and turned away to re enter the building.

Archeron and Marlene had been in his office when they heard the door open again. Marlene stepped out first, a gentle smile upon her features which slowly turned to confusion as she noticed the young teen standing in the terrain covered with real grass. "Is something wrong Aela?" she asked in a caring tone.

"I'm ready to train now, I've worked on your dummy already. I don't think that it could take much more."She stared at the woman, standing proudly before her with her talon sword hanging limp curled under her fingers. Marlene continued to hold something of a smile as she tried to understand what was going on. "But..you've just gotten here. You did say that you've never used a sword, yes?" Aela simply nodded, waiting impatiently for the woman to get to the point. She already knew that the trainers wouldn't be pleased with her. She could except that, but all she needed was a chance to prove to them just how much she had learned.

"I've trained enough outside, now I'm ready to learn from you." She added, offering a bit of a smile as she rotated her wrist causing the sword to twist around with her hand. "Is that right young one?" A deep voice boomed from somewhere behind them. Marlene's face suddenly turned serious as she turned back to face the man coming out of the back room. Archeron walked across the floor, his steps were slow as he was in no hurry, his thick soled boots stamped onto the wooden floor, sending echos across the room. His skin looked harsh upon his features, baring a few scars wrinkled into the folds of his flesh. The man easily towered over the two, and the thick leather armor upon his back made him look even bigger than he actually was.

"You've been here, what? A bell and you say that you're ready?" His stare was hard, piercing into the young girl, studying everything about her. "For what?" He asked, reaching up his stubby fingers to rub at the thin bristles in his chin. Aela looked up at him, having to almost cran her neck back completely just to see his face.
"I'm ready, I can do this. I know that you don't think so, but I can show you." There was a determined look in her eyes, a look that even Archeron couldn't ignore. "Did you hear that Marlene, she's here to show us that she is ready to move forward."

The look upon Marlene's featured remained wary, a foreboding feeling in her gut, as if she sensed that something bad was about to happen. "She's just excited, a bit brash, but we like that enthusiasm remember?" She added hoping to calm his nerves. "Yes, but I've seen it all before." He started glancing towards her before casting his irritated gaze back on Aela. "You young people, always so quick to act, never thinking of the consequences that you might find yourself in." Aela spoke up, interrupting anything that he might add in favor of pushing her point. His words fell on death ears and the cocky teen had already expect as much.

To her, it wasn't as much about that and given the fact that he didn't know her, or how quick she was to learn a skill, was enough to justify what she aimed to accomplish.
"I can show you what I've learned and I'm ready for the real training." Aela paused, though her tone was firm and filled with pride, it was not out of disrespect that she spoke up as she did. She believed every word that she said, and honestly thought that she was ready to move on in her lessons.

"Then show me." His voiced echoed loudly, silencing all else in the room and burrowing into the young mind before him. She blinked, glancing down at the blade in her hand, then back to the two that stood in front of her. Aela started to notice the look on Marlene's face as she looked to her for guidance, or an explanation to what he meant. "Show me.." He said again, his voice much lower but held the just as much conviction as before. Confusion took the young teen, and she was unsure of what to do.

A sudden tremble slipped under her skin, her green eyes unsteady as they once again fell upon her talon blade. It seemed that he wanted her to strike at him, even though he didn't have a weapon drawn. It was hard to follow, and she couldn't understand why anyone would ask such a thing of someone wielding a deadly weapon. Taking in a breath, Aela raised the blade, shaky fingers clutched tightly around the handle, and her eyes unwilling to focus between the two. Just as she did, Archeron quickly reached out, tightly grasping her wrist as he turned it inward, violently causing her arm to twist and her body to flip over. A loud gasp slipped from her parted lips as her body slammed into the floor with an awful thud.
"Haaa!...petch..that hurt."

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Warhawk on February 1st, 2013, 5:49 am

Aela

SkillLore
+3 Weapon, Talon swordDone with the Easy Stuff
+3 ObservationStanding up for herself

Sarel

SkillLore
+2 Weapon, Talon swordLazy ride to Training
+3 SocializingWise words falling on others

Warhawk thoughts

I'm sad this thread never got finished I liked the interaction between the two players, and I was really looking forward to what the master swordsman was going to do next. I did enjoy reading what was there though.

Of course if there are any questions, concerns, or thoughts on the grading feel free to PM me or post in my office.
-From the dust of war a hawk arises to lead the way for those who have fallen-
Warhawk
Player

Words: 6646
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Race: Staff account
Office