A Tower of Cards (Open)

And so they ventured into the Cards...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Blythe on September 28th, 2012, 12:58 am

Fall 43, 512 AV

She hadn't been there for many moons. Leaving her to believe that it had been too long since her last venture, now that the cards were calling.

Blythe could almost hear their whispers spoken on cool autumnal wind, long before she crossed the threshold that led from the outer world, to one dipped into a pool of inky obscurity. Where reality was twisted into something grotesque, and yet, alluringly beautiful. Histrionic in more than the manner of one's dress.

Blythe's lavender colored eyes floated over the reflecting pool. As did the hands that draped over, gracing the water with unblemished flesh. A tanned hide, another pale as the moon. Pores sparkling in the radiance cast by the sun's light as it too, danced over the surface. Offering what was once clear, a fiery sheen, which glimmered in heated reds and yellows.

Extended fingers stirred the surface. Casting ripple against elemental ornament. Tarnishing reflective surface; hiding all beauty that was to be found in a mirror until each limb retracted. Falling onto limb over which simple cotton cloth was draped. Sweeping across marble floor; ends cascading over the edge as though it were a molten garment. Perhaps, reflecting the heat found within each delicate form.

Blythe smiled sweetly in return as each of the card's eyes came to meet hers. "Hello," she whispered into the wind, to receive no answer. As though the ethereal embrace which tousled her mane of blonde hair had swallowed her words, as opposed to carry them to waiting ear.

It was enough for them to turn. To cast their gaze away.

Dismayed. Blythe's heart fell as she was left to do all she could. Move closer, and simply, observe.

OOCI have been granted permission to use this location by Cachet, however, it was discussed that all control of NPCs will fall to me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Aunalee on September 29th, 2012, 11:05 am

Aunalee felt that with each step she took came with a gentle nudge of encouragement from the brisk autumn wind. The thought of adventure had led her astray from her sisters in the near by Silverwoods. She had thought she had left the forest when she noticed an odd gathering of trees. Without a moments hesitation, she ran through them.

Aunalee could feel leaves crunch under her as she sprinted by. Each tree seemed to whiz faster and faster until she ran into a clearing. At the far end were two large hills that had a building squeezed between them. It's opalescent color reminded her of the Opal Temple. So distracted by its beauty and mystery, Aunalee did not stop running. Instead, she ran even faster into the building while staring at it's ceiling to make sure it wasn't just a mirage.

Skidding her black boots against the opalescent floors, she stopped ten inches away from another Konti woman. Without even noticing the cards, she instinctively combed her fingers through her tangled hair then bowed slightly. "I'm sorry for disturbing you." She said and stood up right to look at the woman with her crystal blue eyes. She could feel her face was still beat red from running and was still huffing a bit to catch her breathe.
Kontinesse, Common, Nari
Aunalee
We fight to live for what we love, not die.

Words: 15821
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2012, 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Naeya on October 2nd, 2012, 4:58 pm

I am enslaved to fate, of all else say no more
With a sweet tongue speak, else I plea say no more
Speak not of troubles, of treasures tell me more
And if of this you know not, be not troubled, say no more.

Dry needles crunched underfoot as Naeya swept past several trees on the outskirts of the Silverwood. She could not explain, even to herself, what had drawn her to the forest on this day. Perhaps an innate need for exploration, for knowledge of Konti Isle's natural wonders. Or, perhaps a wish to escape the small city and allow herself room to think. To breathe. Whatever the reason, she knew inexplicably that she was meant to be here.

As the crisp fall breeze stirred the branches, the young Konti felt a wave of thanks for having a white woollen cloak to shelter her small frame. She was still adjusting to the cooler weather after a long summer of dry heat. It was a lovely day in spite of the wind, however. The Silverwood was alive with trilling birds and chattering squirrels, and there was not a cloud in sight.

Naeya soon realized she was not alone with Mura's wildlife. A figure raced past her, darting through the trees with grace and purpose. Surprisingly, Naeya was not startled. Instead, she felt a wave of curiousity wash over her and instinctively began to follow in the same direction.

The stranger soon disappeared behind an evergreen tree, but Naeya was not far behind. Several quick steps took her to the edge of a clearing. She was just in time to see the girl's back disappear into the open base of an ornately-wrought building, nestled comfortably between two hills. Naeya's green eyes widened in astonishment. She had not expected to find anyone living on the edge of Silverwood and yet... here she was. Was this the stranger's home? Was this anyone's home?

She didn't realize her feet were carrying her towards the white stone structure until she reached it. "Hello?" she called out softly. Timidly. Only the wind responded, rustling her loose, blonde hair and encouraging her to explore further.

It didn't take long for her to discover the stranger she had been following. The girl stood near another of Naeya's racial sisters, a very tall and very beautiful woman. One short, one tall. The difference in appearance between the two would have been comical had they been human, but as Konti it was a harmonious balance.

What struck Naeya most, however, was the large pool in the center of the room and the enchanting collection of non-Konti individuals who stood near it.

"What is this place..." she whispered, awed by the eccentricity of the moment.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Gavin on October 2nd, 2012, 10:07 pm

The sound of running feet, followed by crunching needles caused Gavin to stir. Opening his eyes, he turned his head left, and then right, before seeing the source of the noises. First, one Konti, who ran by, as if something pulled her along, and a second, walking, but with the same purposeful movements. Standing, the Akalak followed, his own booted feet causing needles to break.

"Just when I thought I could be alone to focus, my concentration has to be broken by these Konti," stated the Akalak in a grating voice as he moved.

Following along, he came to a stop at the tree line, noticing that the walking Konti had reached and entered the ornate building nestled between the two hills. The Akalak relaxed for a moment, staring at the building.

"The Cards? I thought this place was a myth," he stated to himself, staring.

That's because you're an idiot, came a growl from within Gavins head. Blinking, the Akalak frowned softly. But, since we're here, let's go visit.

Shaking his head, the Akalak moved forwards and into the building. He stopped almost immediately, though, as there was already a large group of people within the central room, standing around a large pool.

"What is this place..." whispered the last Konti right in front of him. Leaning against the doorway, Gavin focused his eyes, and allowed his brain to take in the mass of information flowing in. He knew very little about this area, but he had heard of it.

"It's called The Cards. Apparently, it's used to house a few Ephyrians, and this group of folks here," he replied to the Konti, gesturing to the 21 people standing around the pool, seemingly ignoring the Konti trailing her fingers through the water. "Up until now, I thought it was a myth spread by the Grandmother's Circle to increase tourism. Guess I was wrong," he finished.

OOCAnything in yellow text with italics is Karan, Gavin's "other" soul speaking to Gavin. If Karan were to take over the body, anything spoken would appear in yellow text with quotes.

Last edited by Gavin on October 7th, 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gavin
Player

Words: 4372
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 1:49 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Blythe on October 3rd, 2012, 1:16 am

"It's quite alright," Blythe responded, just as the other two swept in. Another of her sisters first, similarly marked, and then one of the Akalak. A rare sight, both in and outside of the city. Her lavender colored eyes sparkled as he told them all of his thoughts. "You were wrong," she whispered, "although, you wouldn't be the first," she added with a small smile as she crept closer to the water's edge. Bringing the Konti with seagreen eyes to raise her gaze from the tips of her fingers. That which jostled the lines of her dress.

"Is this how you try to fill the emptiness?" the Konti asked of Blythe. "Is this how you try and make up for your lack?" she added as she shook her head lightly, tousling her short, cropped blonde hair. Left to fall mere inches below the chin. If even that.

Slowly, the woman raised a single arm. Her palm extending as if to grab at garments that were not there. All of her fingers save for one, the pointer, which she directed at Naeya first. Her irises widening it seemed, to overcome the whites, as she developed a far off look. As though the younger Konti were as transparent as the air, and she were seeing through her. As opposed to addressing a form easily seen. "Traveling with one with a lily whose petals fall and scatter leaving her less than a hollowed stem," she paused as her finger glided over to Aunalee, "one whose gift of enticement seems more a curse," and as her hand fell, she spoke the final words, "and one whose head is ruled by duality, leaving the heart rendered?"

Taken aback, Blythe's mouth could merely quiver as she rested stupidly in the midst of the Konti and Akalak's expanse. "Do you think that corresponding numbers will ease the tension? The pain? Or simply add to the chaos which winds through you?"

There was a pause as the Natalyia's hand circled her lap, as though trying to build up some semblance of heat. "Mirrors doing all they can," she whispered, "reflecting," she finished, as she turned back to the clean sweep of water. The image of her own lithe form, broken by the tanned hand which cast ripples into the pond.

OOCYay for semi-crypticness.

Also, Gavin, the blue text is a tad hard for me to read. Would you mind trying a shade or two darker in the future, to see if it helps? Thank you.

Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Adiel on October 3rd, 2012, 2:38 pm

Adiel hummed to herself as she made her way through the Silverwood. It was always so peaceful there. She loved to wander around in the quiet woods; it was the only place her restless mind was ever still. Today she strode, seemingly without aim, and yet…she felt that every step she made was taken with care—like it did have a purpose. I’m just not sure what it is yet.

She stepped over a pile of branches, caught the edge of her leather sandal on one of them and stumbled, scraping the top of her foot as she teetered. Petch. She muttered the gentle curse under her breath. Well, it was almost always peaceful—at least when she paid attention to where she was going.

Her blue eyes scanned the trees around her. Their leaves had already begun to change color. The Silverwood was a kaleidoscope of green, red and yellow and the soft breeze held a hint of chill. She rubbed the exposed skin on her arms. Perhaps she shouldn’t have left without her coat.

A few chimes later, she spotted a white building in the distance. Her quickening pulse rushed behind her ears whispering to her the need to see it up close. Her gaze fell to the front door. Its opalescent walls seemed to call her inside. She hesitated only for a moment, drawn on by the excitement brewing in her blood. The only thing that slowed her down was her aching foot. She limped toward the building as quickly as she could.

It was even more beautiful and ornate up close than it was from a distance. She hurried inside, to find the interior filled with faces she didn't recognize. A mixed group of Konti and others stood around a large reflecting pool. Her face grew warm. It seemed as though she’d interrupted something important.
“Oh no. I’m so sorry that I stormed in withouth an invitation. I should have…um…I shouldn’t have come in.” She tossed a look back over her shoulder at the door she’d entered. Now she wondered why she hadn't thought it strange to have found it unlocked.

Adiel had never considered there might be others inside. She twisted the fraying hem of her shirt around her cold fingers. I wish I would have knocked…
Adiel
Doubt is a pain too lonely.

Words: 1780
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2012, 11:09 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Aunalee on October 3rd, 2012, 8:29 pm

Aunnalee heaved a sigh of relief knowing that it was fine to disturb the stranger when two others joined. By instinct, she turned her head to see if she knew them. One was an Akalak that she had seen around the Opal Temple but hadn't given much thought to introduce herself to. The other was a Konti who was oddly similar to the other Konti standing next to her. She was about to back up so she could compare the two when she heard a voice.

"Traveling with one with a lily whose petals fall and scatter leaving her less than a hollowed stem," she paused as her finger glided over to Aunalee, "one whose gift of enticement seems more a curse," and as her hand fell, she spoke the final words, "and one whose head is ruled by duality, leaving the heart rendered?"

Aunnalee could feel her face burning and gripped her white pants. Her gaze down cast at the floor, unwilling to look up at the others for fear they would understand what the Konti had said. The sudden sound of feet snapped Aunnalee out of her weird state. She turned back around just as another Konti joined them. A wide smile inched across her face and her eyes seemed to sparkle. "Don't fret, we are all just strangers here but I would like to change that." She said and let go of her pants to hold out her hand to the nearest Konti which was the one she had almost ran into. "I am Aunnalee, a student at the Opal Temple." She said.
Kontinesse, Common, Nari
Aunalee
We fight to live for what we love, not die.

Words: 15821
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2012, 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Naeya on October 5th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Naeya quickly turned as a male voice spoke, answering her whispered question. She had been so focused on the other individuals in the building that she hadn't even realized when he came up behind her. As her gaze met his, she was surprised to see that he was an Akalak (albeit a short Akalak) - a welcome reminder of her now-distant home. She offered him a smile of thanks, both for his words and for setting her homesick heart a bit more at ease. It seemed that no matter where she went, Riverfall would never be far behind.

"The Cards," Naeya breathed, feeling the words roll sweetly off her tongue. The name sounded so simple, yet she had no doubt that it concealed fascinating secrets beneath its surface. Perhaps an explanation as to why she, along with these strangers, felt drawn to this building, for one.

Before she could ask the Akalak to elaborate on the supposed "myth", however, another figure began to speak. The Konti's seagreen eyes sought out Naeya's, but Naeya had the distinct feeling that she was not truly being seen. It was a feeling that she was sure others had when she herself awoke the gift of Divination. With a slender finger pointed accusingly in Naeya's direction, the Konti began to speak of secrets that were not always shared amongst strangers.

A lily whose petals fall and scatter, leaving her less than a hollowed stem.

The phrase repeated itself again and again in Naeya's mind, swirling and tumbling over itself in increasingly bizarre combinations.

Fall and scatter, fall and scatter. Less than a hollowed stem. A lily. Hollowed stem. Petals, leaving her less.

Fall, fall, fall...

Fall.

Naeya hesitantly reached her left hand across her chest to touch the hidden mark on her opposing shoulderblade. She felt as though the Konti had cut her open and spilled her shame. Her fear.

Words spoken to Naeya's companions were not entirely ignored, however. Her green eyes grazed over each face as the allegations poured out. Emptiness. Enticement. Struggle. Chaos. A wretched, although somewhat comforting, blend of failures. Each phrase, too, was left dripping with hidden meaning. Naeya's gift didn't need to be awoken (thought it was) in order to see that the short-haired Konti was cryptic and left much unsaid.

"I don't understand... Who are you?" Her words were directed not only to the Konti with seagreen eyes, but to the other figures who stood with her. Naeya's question would go unanswered for the moment, though, as another guest entered the fray. Konti, as well, and flustered by the looks of it. One of the other women offered her calming words, and Naeya continued this trend.

"My name is Naeya." She smiled kindly at Aunalee's youthful enthusiasm before glancing over to the newcomer. "As Aunalee has said, do not worry, sister. I... I feel as though we were all meant to be here today, although I'm unsure as to why."
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Gavin on October 7th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Gavin lifted an eyebrow at the Konti who spoke with him first, telling him that, although he was wrong, he wasn't the first. He opened his mouth to speak, when another of the Konti, one with seagreen eyes, spoke first.

"Is this how you try to fill the emptiness? Is this how you try and make up for your lack?"

The Konti lifted a hand and pointed at one of the Konti Gavin had followed in. "Traveling with one with a lily whose petals fall and scatter leaving her less than a hollowed stem," and then the other Konti, "one whose gift of enticement seems more a curse," and then, as she lowered her hand, "and one whose head is ruled by duality, leaving the heart rendered?"

Gavins eyes narrowed as he stared at the Konti, but he remained silent.

Because you're a coward, and you know it.

Gavin shook his head, and focused on the group within the room. He was vageuly aware that the Konti with seagreen eyes had spoken some more, but couldn't recall what she had said.

He opened his mouth once more, when, from behind him, he heard, “Oh no. I’m so sorry that I stormed in without an invitation. I should have…um…I shouldn’t have come in.”

Turning his head, he looked at the newest addition to the group within The Cards. Another Konti. And she looked extremely nervous.

As two of the Konti, Aunalee and Naeya introduced themselves, Gavin watched the Konti with seagreen eyes, his own yellow/golden eyes narrowed, as if trying to see through her, and her cryptic words. Hearing the two Konti finish introductions among themselves, and to the new Konti, Gavin turned his head and opened his mouth to speak, before he could be interrupted again.

"Since you seem so interested in names, mine is Gavin." The Akalak smiled slightly as his gaze drifted to the cryptic Konti with seagreen eyes. "The one ruled by duality, with the rendered heart."

Gavin
Player

Words: 4372
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 1:49 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

A Tower of Cards (Open)

Postby Blythe on October 8th, 2012, 12:45 am

Blythe's eyes flitted over the other outsiders, before settling on the golden inset of the Akalak's. They reminded her of the sun, or perhaps that of a falcon. Beady, almost cold. Something that seemed as though it could see right through her, into the depths of her soul, as Natalyia's had peered into all of theirs mere moments beforehand.

"Do not fret Gavin," Blythe whispered. "Many of your kind face the same sort of existence when darkness and light collide. When they grapple for control of a singular form." She shook her head lightly as she cast a wary glance at Temperance before reeling them back in, towards the troubled. "The one that wins the head is the one your heart feeds." She offered a slight smile, before turning her head towards the others.

"She is neither here nor there Naeya," Blythe went on. "Nor is she like to answer a question she doesn't wish to." The elder of the incoming Kontis sighed. "Strange she has completely ignored you stranger," she added, as she turned to Adiel. Allowed her eyes to make a quick sweep over her slight form. "I don't remember if they usually act in such a manner." The woman shrugged. "Perhaps she is not whom you need to hear from. The one you came for..."

Blythe bit her bottom lip nervously as the words spoken on her behalf rattled the inner chambers of her mind. Forced her heart to sink. Uneasily, she took a step closer to the others, tightening their unspoken pact. "Do you know what your words meant?" she asked the others, as her throat tightened. As though an invisible hand were pressing its fingers into its center; squeezing from against their hold around the jugular and mirroring veins. She was almost certain not a single would answer. Or at least, not truthfully.

She sure wouldn't. Or so, the notion crossed her mind.

Subconsciously, Blythe rubbed her belly. As though she had just ingested a large meal, and it wasn't settling well in the pit of her stomach. The color of her eyes grew even more bland, as water circled their edge. Magnifying the trickling tendrils of red, coursing through the whites. Her mind reeled with thoughts long pushed to the side.

Fawn...

"Or do you think that to be the purpose of this venture?" Blythe asked. "It would make sense enough, considering what she is."

Tiny fingers... splayed... reaching...

Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next