The Black and White (Rythern & Fade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Black and White (Rythern & Fade)

Postby Rythern on May 16th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Spring 12, 510 AV

Rythern raised his left arm and threw the knife.

He was willing to account for some loss of precision, but it missed the improvised target - an old burlap sack nailed to the side of the alley - entirely.

Behind him, Aeyo gave a snorting whinny. Rythern threw a mock glower at the windrunner mare and aimed another knife. That one missed, too. Aeyo snorted again, and Rythern rubbed his arm and grinned wryly.

The problem was the bandage. The healers at the Soothing Waters had fixed up the gash well, but then he'd gone and cut himself again on the same arm, and the cloth binding was cumbersome for actions that required greater sensitivity.

Now it was his turn to snort. Sensitivity. Really. He was throwing knives at burlap sacks.

The young Vantha had been in Syliras just over a week now, and was actually finding it entertaining. He was most intrigued by the wild diversity of people. Rythern had once been a boy who traveled with a circus and he'd seen his share of people, but beyond the bright lights of the tents in the world of normal, never all so different and all in the same place. It was exciting, and there were new things. Now if only he could work up the strength in his non-dominant arm so that it matched the abilities of his right - he'd been trying to do so for a while, and staying in one place meant he had time to work on it.

He flashed a grin at his horse and longtime companion, who looked impatient and mildly bored, before throwing another knife.
Last edited by Rythern on May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rythern
Knifethrower

Words: 35547
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

The Black and White [Rythern & Fade]

Postby Fade on May 16th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Fade was walking through Syliras, letting her feet guide her eyes drinking it all in.
A noise from an alley caught her attention, she went to have a closer look a hand on her dagger, just in case.
A young man was throwing knifes…at a sack? Fade smiled inwardly as he missed the target. She had tried knife throwing when she was with the circus, her throws were entirely based on luck and often ended up in the wrong direction. She was good at catching knifes though, a game she would play as a child with a kitchen drudge that had followed the show for some time. An asset to her good knife catching was that she was ambidextrous. She noticed he had a bandaged hand, maybe that was the reason for his bad aim.
On his left was a very beautiful horse, silently she walked up and put a hand on its side. The horse snorted but otherwise didn’t make any other noise. She waited for him to notice her.
Fade
Player

Words: 105680
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2010, 10:58 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Rythern on May 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Rythern's next throw didn't have the decency to strike properly, let alone strike the target - he had managed to skew the spin of the knife as it went through the air, and it smacked the wall with the flat of the blade instead of hitting like a dart.

Then he heard unfamiliar footsteps and a soft snort from Aeyo. The young Vantha turned to see a girl his age standing with his windrunner at the edge of the alley, watching him. Her expression appeared bemused.

He looked back at his makeshift target.

Right. Nothing screamed competence better than a throw like that.

Rythern coughed, then grinned. He had the grace to notice that the girl was rather incredibly beautiful. "Hey."

Then he noticed that her hand was patting the horse, and that Aeyo seemed content, so he nodded at her. His Common was tinged with the lyrical accent of Vani. "That's Aeyo. She seems to like you."
Rythern
Knifethrower

Character sheet

Postby Fade on May 17th, 2010, 4:31 pm

“Aeyo” she whispered, the horses ear twitched, Fade smiled.
“How fairs your training?” She asked the young man, he was fairly her age she guessed, she chose a professional greeting not knowing why anyone would be throwing a knife at a sack in an alley, maybe an assassin in training? She doubted it for some reason she couldn’t quite fathom. Also is accent was strangely musical.
She took her hand from her dagger fingers lingering there just for a moment but anyway she would know if he wanted to harm her.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Rythern on May 17th, 2010, 8:48 pm

"How fares your training?" the girl asked, and Rythern noticed she had a hand near her dagger. He dropped his arms disarmingly.

"Could be better," he said with a wry grin. "I've been cut, and I don't have the money for professional healing." The young Vantha shrugged. "I'll live, though. Practice is practice." He drew another knife from the pouch at his belt, poised to renew his uphill campaign against the burlap sack, before he paused and cast another curious glance behind him at the stranger.

Rythern rarely planned things. Life for him was mostly a series of guesses, games, and going with the flow - which he didn't mind - and it was odd, but this particular encounter seemed a case of the third one. Because as a storyteller at heart, Rythern always paid attention to people's first impressions, and with her, he was getting a decidedly strange impression.

On a whim, he decided to try an experiment.

He switched the throwing knife to his right hand - his righthand aim was far superior to his left, plus he wouldn't have to worry about a still-healing injury - and made a high toss to Fade, timing the spin of the blade through the air so that if she caught it, she'd catch it by the hilt. If she didn't, no harm done.

He didn't think she'd miss, though. Wasn't even sure why. Just a hunch.

And as an afterthought, "May I ask your name?"
Rythern
Knifethrower

Character sheet

Postby Fade on May 18th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Fade made a feint turning as the blade flew towards her she then caught it effortlessly: this throw had been programmed and she was used to catching unplanned ones.

She threw the knife in the air and caught it by the blade, she handed it back to its owner hilt first.
“Is this how you usually greet people?” She grinned cheekily and introduced herself
“Fade” she said simply “and yours?”

She was reminded of the grey eyed boy who was obsessed with knifes that had taut her to catch them, even by the blade. The first time she had got cut up pretty badly but he told her that there were two ways, one by using your fingers the other one by cupping your hand so that the serrated edge wouldn’t hurt you. He had been her only friend even though he had been much older, she wondered where he could be now.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Rythern on May 18th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Rythern was delighted to see the pale-haired girl catch it by the hilt, as he'd hoped she would. Then he laughed in simultaneous appreciation and disbelief as she tossed the knife back into the air and caught it by the blade - nothing beat a good surprise when it came to brightening his day, and at the rate his practice had been going, the young Vantha could certainly use some day-brightening.

"Is this how you usually greet people?" the girl asked cheekily, handing back the knife.

He gave a grin to show he wasn't being serious. "Only if I don't like them."

The girl introduced herself. "Fade."

Rythern remembered that he had previously asked her name.

"And yours?"

"Vakya," the young Vantha replied almost instinctively, then reconsidered it, then backtracked. "But that name's for the firelight. Right now, you can call me Rythern." He couldn't explain why he had suddenly felt like giving his real name except to say that he'd suddenly felt like it. Out of habit, he began spinning the knife slowly through his fingers without paying very much attention. "I throw knives. Tell stories." He shrugged. "Wander, sort of."
Rythern
Knifethrower

Character sheet

Postby Fade on May 19th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Rythern, she repeated his name on her head, names were important, they defined people.
She was surprised and interested to know he was a performer like her.

Fade grinned “I’m a contortionist, the back bender sort” she trailed off then explained quickly the technical term she had used “I bend backwards easier than forwards”

She watched the knife slowly rotate in his hand and asked “What is a performer doing on his own? Or not quite on his own” She winked and stroked Aeyo.

Fade stepped forward and leant against the strangely cold wall, she felt a short in comparison, only barely reaching 5.5 and very slender her body used to lots of water and a very low salt diet.
Something was nagging her about his accent it reminded her of somebody she had met before not in the Sylirian region though.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Rythern on May 21st, 2010, 5:20 am

"I'm a contortionist, the backbender sort," Fade said. By way of explanation, she added, "I bend backwards easier than forwards."

"Ah," said Rythern. He knew contortionists from his time spent in the circus, but had been previously unfamiliar with the more technical terms behind the practice. It was one more thing that showed how little he'd really known about the people in there, after all. He himself had once performed as something of an acrobat, and this was something that could've applied to what he had once trained for.

"What is a performer doing on his own? Or not quite on his own," she added with a wink as she stroked Aeyo.

It was a complicated question to which Rythern enjoyed giving an easy answer: "I offend fewer people that way."

Then he looked at her and grinned.

"Seriously though, I used to be in a circus. Like you," the young Vantha said, verbalizing the guess he had made soon after Fade had spoken of being a contortionist. "It was exciting to go from place to place, to travel everywhere and see everything. I still like to do it, which is why I am what I am for a living, but now that I'm alone I also get to choose my roads, and I like that."

The girl had moved and was now next to him, leaning against the alley wall. Aeyo followed her. Rythern noted that with interest - the normally stubborn mare did seem to like Fade quite a bit.
Last edited by Rythern on May 31st, 2010, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rythern
Knifethrower

Character sheet

Postby Fade on May 21st, 2010, 2:49 pm

“Yes, I was with a circus but not by my choice, I was the owners slave…”
Her experience of leaving the circus was different for his, for the first time she had breathed as a free human, she got to choose her life not only the road.
She liked his response I offend fewer people that way, she grinned and said “You often offend people?”
Aeyo took a step forward Fade stroked her muzzle.
He had been with a circus, it interested her, of course his experience would have been different from hers…Now she understood why he had given her a false name at the beginning: it was a stage name. She looked straight into his eyes, they were…strange? She couldn’t put her finger on it she had the feeling she was missing something.
Fade
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trash Medal (1)

Next