...what about "Discretion" and "Valor?" (Closed, Panex)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 12:56 am

Fair enough. Gideon could never fault someone for wanting to be able to defend themselves, nor could he say much about the way Panex chose to address him. There was probably a good reason he was so out of touch with society, and possibly an even better reason why he had found Gideon.

Your weapon will suffice. It may not be a broadsword, but a blade functions the same in every nation. It is a tool made for taking lives. No idealism and no amount of pretty words can change that. What makes the difference is the person using it.

With a wink, Gideon took a brisk step toward Panex and clapped the man on the shoulder, assessing his sturdiness.

But that's quite enough about philosophy and beliefs. You want to learn how to use the weapon, and I feel like I can trust you enough to teach you something. After all, you have the right idea- all bandits are pretty terrible people. Though none quite as terrible as the lowlife murderers that I'm chasing.

Gideon gave an involuntary sigh and backed away, relenting his grasp from Panex, and he stretched his neck out.

Come now, we ought to get out of this alley. We can talk more over some drinks, if you like?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Words: 24869
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 18th, 2010, 1:33 am

Panex arches his brow as Gideon expounds his beliefs on the blade.

Well, he thinks, perhaps not an entirely foolish man. I may even grow not to loathe him.

"I can't say I disagree on that, friend." There was slight emphasis on the last word. "I'm not much one who appreciates tales of valor and glory in war and combat. I may not be much for fighting, but I have seen my fair share of bloodshed."

As Gideon claps his left shoulder, it seems to melt away from the touch as Nex drops it low, shifting his weight to his left foot while his right arm tenses slightly. He smiles slightly, then straightens.

"My apologies. Reflexes. You understand, yes?"

He smirks slightly once again, then steps out of the alley.

"As for drinks, well, I know a few places. What is your fancy?"
"Life is empty. Life is worthless. When I take life, I take nothing of value."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Words: 7407
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2010, 4:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 4:20 am

I don't indulge myself in liquor, but I don't frown upon those who do. I choose my own life, not the path of others. That being said, the burden falls on you to decide what you wish to drink. I am simply in need of a spot of water.

As if to accentuate his slight dehydration by way of combat, he brushed the hair that was sticking to his brow out from his eyes, his clear blue eyes striking at Panex with the look of one who had seen both battle and death, and one who had rose above the torment it wrought upon his soul. Truly seraphic were the eyes of one like Gideon, who chose not to harden himself against the world, but to harden himself for it's sake. A person's eyes tell a million stories. Gideon Linvaille's eyes told a person ten million. Anyone who could tell depth within a single glance might fear drowning in those pools.

With a laugh, Gideon broke the monotony and clapped his gauntlet to his scabbard, the metallic clang echoing for a moment before dissolving into infinity, leaving Gideon's shrill tenor to take up where it left off.

War is a wicked thing indeed, Gideon agreed solemnly, and there can be no peace so long as the hearts of men are divided. But I like to think that some men are willing to take a stand where others might do nothing, or even fall. That is why I help people, and that is why, Panex, I will teach you the blade, to the best of my ability.

As they strode into the city streets, the two seemed to blend into the crowd, the look of the warrior being the only real requirement to that end.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 18th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Panex does not flinch from his gaze, instead choosing to meet it dead on. Whereas Gideon's eyes were unending and rich with emotion, Panex's eyes were almost completely superficial, hinting only at amusement. A ruse, of course, as anyone with half a brain could expect. Panex ever put on the secretive display with his mask - both of his face and his emotions. But rarely did he mask his motives, his feelings, in speech. It was a good method of keeping others reeling. And to this effect, he snorts inwardly and speaks aloud.

"You strike me as a fool, Gideon, though your words at once make me loathe and respect you. You do not seek to sway others, and for that I respect you. But you believe the world is a place worth defending, and for that I despise you. Show me a man worth defending and I'll show you a man who's hiding something. There is no greater purpose, no moral right to fight for. Hell, I can't think of a damned thing worth fighting for."

He shakes his head.

"I appreciate your honesty, however, so I will respond with my own. If the opportunity presents itself, I will take advantage of you, likely by robbing you. Even so, I will no kill you, and I will leave you your weapons and a week's food. Your path is a path of vengeance, and I will not impede that. Overly so."

He inclines his head.

"So, if we have an agreement, I know a tavern. It sells good wine for the price as well as water. Afterward we can practice. This is fair, yes?"

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Honesty is always a fair portent, Gideon spoke gruffly, not at all hurt by Panex's words. He knew the type, and so long as the man was blunt with him, he would know when to expect whatever was to come, so much so that he didn't even consider it to be a problem. And so, Panex, I must say that I find you a fairly interesting man, though your words make their marks toward the heart of a man where such a thing exists not.

It was unnerving at best to hear someone like Gideon speak of being heartless, and in such poetic terms that exemplified he truly and deeply believed it. He walked right by Panex without any trace of an ill look, though he did smile rather softly. Just know that I am one who is capable of defending himself, and I take up my sword where the meek cannot. While it is true, men have no redeeming qualities of their own, they were born to have a choice. They were born to create a life for themselves, and to generate a society for others to live in. For better or worse, they exist, and I nor you can deny them that.

Gideon looked into the man's eyes with utter conviction, true faith dripping from every word like a rich and virulent toxin that sought to bore into the heart of Panex through every vein, to melt and tear him down where he stood, and yet, it looked so compassionate.

I will train you, Panex, and I will show you what the hearts of men can never attain all their own. Men all too often stand for nothing. A man who lives not for himself is sometimes a pariah, but always a welcome change of pace.

And in that instant, as Gideon turned away, his heart sank with the sadness that people were so far gone. One day, perhaps, he might help someone. But sometimes, to himself, Gideon just felt so useless.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 18th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Panex smirks slightly. It seemed this man took the half-Myrian's bluntness quite well. A rare feature. He would have to watch this man closely. Perhaps some fact of life or skill could be gleaned from him.

"Please, don't speak to me of being heartless. I know far too much of it."

He chuckles knowingly.

"The meek deserve just as much as the powerful. A swift death. You don't strike me as blind to the world, Gideon, or its horrors, yet you still fight. Tell me, are you aware of the definition of insanity?"

His smirk broadens. From the look of this man, he seemed to be intelligent and well-learned. Panex couldn't imagine he did not know of this definition. It was a curious man, who accepted the fallacy of men and still continued to fight for them.

Either a fool or a madman.

"Once more, I thank you for the training. I only wonder what sort of man you are."

With that, they arrive at a small tavern, named comically The Arse's Eye.

"Here we are. After you."

He gestures inside. Panex wasn't much one to put his back to others, and certainly not this Gideon.

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 1:56 am

Gideon sidles through the doorway with his front facing Panex, a gentle smile gracing his features. Though he seemed an imposing figure, he always seemed to be kind to those around him, unless of course they gave him a reason to act otherwise. Though the discretion was not to be lost on Panex, Gideon would just as soon drink venom than put his back to a man who had told him that he was just another possible victim.

A man who has seen too much to care for the idiosyncratic stereotypes that the masses pin to people. And you, Panex? You seem the sort of man who took the same harsh beatings from life and walked the other way. Such things leave bitter aftertastes, it seems.

A wry smile crept at the lips of Gideon, who slid into a booth and put his back to the wall, placing a request for a glass of water the moment a waitress might get to it. He watched Panex carefully, ascertaining whether the man would target the "innocent" people in the tavern...

Though Gideon mused over the sentiment. Innocence did not exist, so far as he was concerned. Only varying degrees of guilt. He counted himself among those who carried the blame, for only the ones who accepted the heavy burden of responsibility were ever worthy of serving Justice.

The moment mankind could walk upright, it sought a way to preserve itself. Be it simply gathering food or hunting for it, those beings crafted tools for the trade. Murder simply became another necessity as people evolved; emotion grew and blossomed into positives and negatives, and from that point the ideal known as "peace" ceased to exist. For the sake of self-preservation, murder became a two-sided coin. Those weapons that once existed for the simple act of killing game for food developed into art forms that were both terrifying and beautiful.

The story seemed to come from nowhere, but Gideon recounted the way the priesthood had told it to him perfectly.

Those art forms bred a need for diversity, and the tool known as the "sword" began to take on different shapes and practical applications. The longsword was the basic model for a long while, the more eclectic katana much more well-liked by some... and then, they saw a need for weaponry that had more uses than it's edge. The broadsword, like I use, was crafted so that it's true mastery lay not only in striking with the edge, but in the flat of the blade as well. That particular fact shaped the weapon into one that could be used not only to kill, but as a defensive measure.

With a smile, Gideon regarded Panex.

I held my tongue at the tip comment earlier in hopes that you would rectify it, and indeed you did, certifying your basic knowledge of the art of swordsmanship. You claim that there may be a tinge of insanity in my way, but I ask you... what is madness without method?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 19th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Panex chuckles softly as Gideon steps in sideways. An interesting relationship he would have with this man, he mused, short-lived though it would be. A vague sense of camaraderie and shared experience tempered by drastically different views on humanity. Not to mention the plague of distrust. But neither of these men were fools. They would trust each other no further than they could throw one of their blue-skinned hosts.

"Oh? Am I one of the masses, pinning insanity on you? Or am I one of those the masses pins insanity onto? I would say you judge the latter."

He smirks and inclines his head.

"You are right in that I have taken many harsh beatings, but I have given just as much, if not more. I am proof of the evil of men and their flawed existence. But you are wrong on one point. I have not walked away from these beatings. I have taken all of them with me, imprinted onto my very flesh. I do not know of the aftertaste, but the taste now is quite bitter indeed."

He moves to the bar and orders a small mug of wine, tossing the bartender a silver miza, then turns back to Gideon.

"Really now? A history on violence? You can't imagine that I have not surmised all this myself, or that the subtleties of your broadsword are lost on me. Yes, yes, I get it. You are a man with a cause, a righteous man who fights for good while doing as little harm as possible. I've heard it all before, so keep your 'idiosyncratic stereotypes' to yourself."

He chuckles humorlessly.

"Save that you are different, if only in motivation. Whereas most seek some vain sense of honor or glory, your reasons are purely intrinsic, a great need for this idea of justice that you know only you will adhere to."

He shrugs.

"Whatever your reasons, I'm not interested. I am willing to discuss the topic, as a matter of curiosity, but do not think for a second I will be swayed."

The wine arrives, and he takes a sip, infinitely pleased to be tasting such sweet red after all this time.
Last edited by Panex Iustitia on May 19th, 2010, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 10:27 pm

As I have said, Gideon spoke quietly, disinterested in an argument over ideals. Panex would not be swayed, perhaps, but neither would Gideon attempt to sway him. After all, he had already said that, hadn't he? But then, of course, the man had no trust in Gideon, and with just cause. Who would trust someone that had no trust to return? I have no interest in turning people's beliefs. If you wish to discuss them, that is fine, but please, I ask that you not insult them. It is a simple act of courtesy, nothing more.

Gideon surveyed the crowd moderately, considering his companions words all the while. The history is a supplement to the learning, he explained in a rather monotonous tone, you will see how it ties in when we actually begin to apply the knowledge. Do not assume that I am simply lecturing you idly, rather consider that every token of knowledge you are given adds to your competence. The chastisement was only a bit harsh, because Gideon hoped that Panex would show more interest than the desire to argue semantics, and had thus far only been disappointed in the modicum of progression.

I would venture to say that anyone who draws breath is at least a bit insane, Gideon mused, a slight smirk gracing his features, but knowing little more than your name, I cannot say I have the right to pass judgment on you. He let the harsh reality of Panex's words sit with him, though it did not sit well. Closing his eyes and sipping on his water, he formulated his words, then placed the glass down and gazed at the other man evenly.

I know something of not letting things go, and I would be a hypocrite to tell you to move on from your past. Thus, I will not waste my breath or your time. Rather, take what you learn with you and, perhaps, learn that people are only as evil as you allow them to be. That, as well, will act as a buffer to potential enemies. I would that you use words more often than a blade, if such is a possibility. You may find that it is much less painful than battle, for the bitterness that is born between enemies is a heavy burden to carry.

Gideon placed his hands on the table, watching Panex.

If you learn anything from me, I should hope that it helps you develop your mind and your skills.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 19th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Panex chuckles softly and touches his fingers to his neck.

"Oh yes. I know something of the bitterness of enemies," he says cryptically. He knew that Gideon had said he did not wish to sway his beliefs, but in Panex's mind the best salesmen were ever the ones who did not appear to be selling anything. Not at first, anyway. They spoke well of a product, enticed you to learn more, and then slashed the coins out of your bags.

"But fine. Enough of this para-mystical bullsh*t, yes? Let us get on to something worth speaking of. I don't want to hear any more about how to live my life. I only wish to learn the blade from you. That is all. Our progress, as I'm sure you've noticed, has been retarded by our philosophical conversation."

He takes another sip of his wine, then collects a silver miza and begins to twirl it over his knuckles.

"Continue with your history and your explanation. I will listen."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext