...what about "Discretion" and "Valor?" (Closed, Panex)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 2:26 am

Timestamp: Spring 35th, 510 AV
Tag: Panex

Gideon stood at odds with the Akalak male who had challenged him only a few moments before, not entirely certain what the formality had anything to do with. Of course, he had heard rumors about the violent hospitality of the race, but this seemed a bit ridiculous...

His broadsword was held in a firm, albeit relaxed grip, the way the Syliran blademaster had shown him only a few seasons prior. He had grown more and more accustomed to it over time, the weight feeling more and more like an extension of his arm every time he drew it.

The man's armor had become like a second skin, the mail having been forged for the simple purpose of providing decent protection whilst allowing for full range of motion. It suited Gideon perfectly; he needed the extra layer to prevent unforeseen fatality, but he needed natural agility and unimpeded flexibility to properly wield his blade.

He held the broadsword flat, glancing across its polished surface with a pleased look on his face. He had been keeping it well, and that made him quite proud of himself.

Unfortunately, the other man seemed impatient. As if Gideon meant to fight at all prior to this engagement... it seemed to be growing more and more inopportune. He wanted to get on the move, to find out more about the two men he had been tailing... and this Akalak had said something about knowing something.

So, you're certain you saw them? Which direction did you say?

Gideon pried at the man, receiving only a cold reception in response.

"Like I said," the Akalak growled, "I'll tell you if you beat me."

Fair enough. Gideon knew his efforts would be in vain if he simply tried to reason with the blue skinned humanoid. The only language this one seemed to understand was the clashing of metal on metal. And the Purist would answer his calling as was his sacred duty, promised on his parent's memory and sanctified by the priesthood of Tyveth.

Come, then,

Gideon sighed, brandishing his weapon and holding it level in front of his chest, the keen edge facing his opponent. A broadsword had the ability to function in two separate ways: one was as a bashing weapon, using the flat of the blade to sunder armor or throw an opponent off balance, the other was the general swordsman's aptitude: hacking, slashing, jabbing, stabbing and the other fundamentals.

He kept it fresh in his mind from day to day, but refreshed it only on rare occasions. Now, as his opponent charge, he parried the blow and stepped to the side with some effort and a grunt on his own part. He thought he noticed someone nearby, passing through harmlessly. He kept a note of it somewhere in the back of his mind, hoping the Akalak wouldn't get caught up in his lust for battle and harm anyone other than Gideon...
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Words: 24869
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 17th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Panex arrives on the scene, frowning at the two men fighting. One was clearly at a disadvantage. And that one wasn't the Akalak. In such a narrow space, the usual tactic of defeating these giants - quick strikes and disengagements - would be far less effective. One would not possess the space required for the maneuvers here.

Well, one should hope that this man here has skill with his weapon.

Panex made to leave, then halted. He did not possess the skill with a sword he wanted; perhaps by watching this fight he could learn a few things. At the very least, he could find out what not to do when fighting an Akalak.

He sets his pack down just inside the alley, then folds his arms and leans against the wall, folding his arms over his chest. This should prove interesting. And who knew? It could turn out that one of these men could teach him the proper way of the sword. He did, after all, need to learn how to fight. At the moment he could hardly take on a basic guard...

"Make it good," he speaks from behind his mask. "I'm in need of some entertainment."
"Life is empty. Life is worthless. When I take life, I take nothing of value."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Words: 7407
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2010, 4:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Gideon saw something he considered to be a tell, only he didn't want to confirm that suspicion prematurely. The Akalak's shoulder twitched slightly as he began to turn, and with a great deal of vigor, the bestial menace turned on the armored man and flung himself in Gideon's direction and brought his blade toward the man's arm joint.

"Petch," Gideon thought as the blade came at him, "he's got a pretty good idea of the weaknesses of armor. Especially armor like mine." Gideon threw himself to one side, deftly bringing the flat of his broadsword up to sweep the blade, narrowly bringing the tip across the leather of his armor. He felt the tear, and the warmth of the crimson liquid welling up from the light wound he'd received.

It had been enough, though. The Akalak had been far too quick, and though he had assessed the situation quite well initially, the giant had taken for granted that Gideon held the blade solely to look good. Clearly it was something of a common misconception. Gideon brought the blade across his face with a motion of his wrist and pushed his opponent's blade upward, bringing his elbow crashing down at his opponent's naked nose.

With a yelp, the Akalak skittered backward and away, clutching his bleeding nose. Gideon had the advantage of surprise, for the moment... and he decided to capitalize, following through with his blade at the ready.

Bringing the broadsword back in a controlled arc, Gideon stopped the blade short of the man's neck with all the strength and self-control he could muster. Gideon caught himself breathing heavily, and inwardly cursed the fact that he was getting too caught up. He wanted it to be over, to finish this ridiculous and useless fight... but then, that would be too easy. That would be the easy way. And he needed to know now.

Tell me where they went.

Gideon spoke softly, though the firmness of his voice and the seething sound of internal anger pricked at the Akalak's hearing. The man looked squarely down at Gideon, no fear in his eyes. He dropped his weapon, knowing he was defeated, and spoke up.

"I don't know," the Akalak spoke up. "They came through days ago, as you had said. They were traveling westward. It's possible that they have set sail and are long gone by now."

You wasted my time?

Gideon's rage was building, like a twisting inferno that licked at his skin, itching and burning to be set free. His hand trembled with the desire to strike the man down for his insolence, for interfering in Gideon's quest for vengeance, for impeding the path... but Gideon steeled himself with the resolve to pardon the Akalak. After all, the man had drawn his blood as well; in Gideon's mind, that made them equals.

Bah, Gideon spat on the ground, turning away, you've told me all you know. I thank you for that. With a slight bow of his head, Gideon pulled his hood up to obscure his face and turned quickly on his heel, smoldering his inner fire as quickly as it had been stoked. He stopped short of the young man who had been watching, then spoke up.

What is the fascination of young people with carnage these days?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 17th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Panex's hazel eyes glint in the shadow of the alley, and the outline of a smirk can be seen beneath his mask as he watches the fight. It was over and done with quite quickly, but it was clear to see that this man before him, though by no means a master of his craft, was certainly cunning enough to win battles.

He regards the man with half-lidded eyes as he is addressed, and when he speaks, the faintest hint of mirth lies just beneath his voice.

"Well, you know the golden rule. 'Do unto others as you would have others do to you.' You'll find I'm quite masochistic in many ways, yes?"

His speech was somewhat accented, despite all of his attempts to rid himself of it. A knowledgeable man would trace it back to Falyndar, and an even more knowledgeable one to the Myrians. He chuckles gently, though it was an empty laugh.

"Still, I should think the question fitting for you as well as I. We are roughly of the same generation, yes? Within five years of one another, most assuredly, though perhaps you could not tell by looking."

He arches a thin, bark-colored eyebrow.

"So, as one carnage-lover to another, how did you learn to fight like that? I will walk with you if you like; you are looking for someone, yes? I won't presume to hold you back from the task at hand."

He chuckles once more, coldly.

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Gideon nodded, sheathing his sword quietly and quickly, making sure to clean the blade beforehand and then tightly secure the scabbard on his hip. He wiped the perspiration that had been beading on his brow away, then made to walk alongside the other man.

It has been a few seasons now since I learned it proficiently, and a few seasons still since I had an indulging conversation.

Brushing the brown hair from his features, Gideon eyed the other man coolly, both unsure what to make of him and wary of being stabbed in the back. People you met in alleyways were, after all, often not the sort you wanted to associate yourself with. Perhaps that was why this man had stricken up a conversation with him; something about great minds thinking alike.

I am Gideon Linvaille. Seeing as I have given my name, I would be honored to know yours, friend.

He realized quickly that it might make his life easier to be sociable; perhaps this man knew something about the fleeing bandits, but then, perhaps he didn't. Either way, he seemed fascinated by something, and Gideon wanted to find out what. Curiosity is a strange vice.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 17th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Panex's eyebrows twitch slightly at being called 'friend,' though whether it was in amusement or irritation, it could not be certain.

"Friend, am I? Very well."

He shrugs. He had no thoughts or ideas to attack this man. Panex was far from capable of defeating him, he knew, and there wasn't much to be gained. Besides, it would be a bad idea here without a formal challenge. If he was going to commit crime, he wasn't going to do it in a city, and certainly not in Riverfall, among the warlike Akalak. That would be a death sentence.

"I am Panex Iustitia."

He once again thanked his mother for his human name, so that he would not reveal his Myrian heritage so easily.

"I need training. You don't seem like a master, but you do appear to have proper skills required for a sparring partner. Above my level, I should say, but then, the best sparring partners are."

He chuckles softly.

"Or, at the very least, you can tell me where to find a book on swordsmanship."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Gideon raised an eyebrow involuntarily. This Panex character seemed quite interested in a skill Gideon had honed for some time now, though only very recently become any good at. He understood the desire to learn, and definitely shared the desire for a sparring partner, but he needed to know more about this man.

Tell me, Panex, what do you know of swordplay?

He liked to get a feel for someone before he got close to them. And if he was going to teach this man anything, though he wasn't at all much of a teacher, he would need to know where to start. Fundamentals were everything, to be sure, but Panex might not need the broad-scale indoctrination that Gideon had gotten in Syliras. Indeed, if that could be avoided, then Gideon would eschew it altogether.

I might be inclined to teach you some, that is, if you are as interested as you seem to be.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 17th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Panex shrugs.

"I know enough to know that the pointy end goes into my foe."

He smirks slightly once again. This man seemed to be very straight to the point, very honorable. Very much the valiant hero. Hardly a good teacher to have. But then, he could hardly be worse than his last one.

"I am still a novice. I can do basic swings and slices, as well as parries. I can go through motions well enough. But I haven't got the proper reflexes for combat, I'm afraid."

He shrugs.

"I am interested, in so far as I can be. I don't have much else to be interested in. I imagine, though, that if I come with you, I will be wrapped up in the business of finding who you wish to find. Who would these people be?"

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 12:11 am

Deviants, the worst sort of bandits. Though I don't profess to want you to come with me, more that you want to train with me and I am quite available for so long as I am here gathering information on them.

Gideon studies Panex for a long moment, trying to discern what his issue was. There was more to this one than met the eye, and Gideon was not about to just trust someone out of the blue. Least of all not one of so few words.

Of course, you need to provide your own weapon and you need to tell me more about yourself. Nothing too personal, just your agenda and what extent you intend to take your learning to. Does this seem fair to you?

He needed to know that he could trust this man, and even more, that he could cooperate with Gideon. Perhaps he might become useful in other ways later, as an ally, but that remained to be seen. For all Gideon knew, this was some sort of scam to rob him blind.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 18th, 2010, 12:41 am

Panex snorts.

"The worst sort? I think you'll find that all bandits are the worst sort, in their own individual manners. Though, that can easily be broadened beyond mere bandits."

He smirks, silently smiling at his on hypocrisy. Then, wordlessly, he draws back his cloak, reveals his katana, then draws it half out of its sheath. It was custom-made, as katanas tended to be, and it had cost him a pretty penny. Though it was not superbly crafted, neither was it shoddy work. It was, indeed, relatively well-made. Perhaps not enough to go toe-to-toe with the heaviest of weapons, but enough to handle its own in combat.

"This is my weapon. Perhaps not conventional, or adhering to the style you practice, but I imagine it will suffice, yes?"

He cocks his head slightly.

"As to why, well... A man, traveling alone. He would like a means to defend himself, yes?"

He sheaths his weapon.

"As it is, my best defense is a good bluff."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Next