Not all those who wander can be found (Gideon)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Shiva on May 18th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Shiva slowly holds up one hand, smile gone, a peaceable expression replacing it. She felt disappointment, and this sensation she was duly familiar with. He seemed observant, but was unable to see anything past the immediate danger she presented, though she might not b e giving him enough credit, to be sure.

I mean you no harm, sir. Who I am, I have already answered, but the most apt response would take a longer explanation then you seem to want from me at the moment.

She lifts a finger, pulling back a stray lock of white hair

The first answer to who I am, is that I am not as I appear, and certainly not a little girl, though I do appreciate the compliment on my aging.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Words: 8531
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Race: Konti

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 10:15 pm

No one is ever as they appear, are they...?

Gideon's voice sounded distant and almost bitter, his eyes rolling slightly, albeit almost invisibly. He let go his weapon, crossing his arms at his chest, and tilted his head as he surveyed her.

I have long since learned the lesson to judge a book by it's cover. I suppose it goes to show me that I still have much to learn before I have mastered such a lesson.

With a quiet nod, he considered her to be little threat to him. While she might be some sort of contract killer, she did not seem to be any sort of danger. Though he had just said that looks could be deceiving, hadn't he? Stepping closer and effectively forfeiting his life should she turn out to be a danger, Gideon took a great risk. He held out his hand for her to shake firmly.

Well met, then, Madam Shiva. I am Gideon Linvaille, though you doubtlessly have learned that one way or another. Might I ask where you learned my name?

Gideon showed little sign of being afflicted by fear for his life, but he had learned time and again that one had to put themselves on the line to get results. And he was more than prepared, physically, emotionally, and mentally for death.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Words: 24869
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 18th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Shiva shook the hand readily, her pale hand glimmering with a thin sheen of lavender hued scales just above the surface of her pale skin.

I am sorry that I made you stop like that Linvaille, my aim was not to strike any chord of apprehension certainly.

She shakes the hand firmly and retracts the limb back into the shadowy folds of her robe, peering up at him as she answered his query

As to how I know your name, it is in the stones I carry.

Her opposite hand slowly emerges with the small pouch, making sure he could tell the object would do him no harm with the way she brought it out from the folds of her cloak. She splays her delicate fingers and pours the bag's contents onto her palm, peering at them interestedly. The stones were obviously bone, and glimmered in much the same way her scales did. While it appeared they had one rune on each side of them, there was something infinitely more complex, the shadow of other symbols ingrained in the bone with the patterns of shimmering scales seemed to draw other lines and symbols. She rolled them around and looked back up at them.

These stones can tell me name of a stray dog, the color of the clothes you will wear tomorrow, and the exact time of the next eclipse, as long as one knows how to read what they tell you. Many of my sisters have the gift of sight, and do not need such tools as I do, but I find my reading skills can be honed through these unique stones to another level of potency.

She smiles thoughtfully and slides the rune readings back into the bag.

That was probably a long winded answer...I am afraid I have been giving several of those to you over the course of these few minutes, but it saves later explanation I suppose.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 2:09 am

He retracted his hand slowly, nodding curtly at her with some amount of zeal in the way he created distance. Gideon believed that his life was not defined by any foreseeable future, and that fate was written by those who rose to challenge it. Seers were akin to the bane of his existence- he loved the thrill of being able to recount the past as it was left behind. Knowing the future sort of killed the allure for him, though he could not deny that it sometimes came in handy.

Those things are all very interesting, Gideon retorted with a moderate dosage of disdain, but you will find that I have little interest in them. I am sorry to have wasted your time, Madam.

He gave her a thoughtful look, then his face became one of quiet dismissal, his eyes becoming distant and his body turning away from her with a degree of quickness in his step.

Perhaps we might meet again, Gideon offered, almost inaudibly, for in reality he hoped they did not. Until then, though. He waved cordially, gritting his teeth as he made to leave with fervor in his movements.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 2:15 am

The Konti was not duly surprised by his manner, for there were many who did not care for her kind: seers. Many saw her as someone who would lay down their life, as if she had the ability to describe every facet. She learned that one made their own destiny, she could just see some of the trials along the way of it.

I wish you luck with your endeavors Gideon, and in teaching your apprentice, you have much work ahead of you, but I'm sure you don't need one such as myself to see that.

She turned back to the stream, walking slowly away. Strange: the idea of solitude did not seem as appealing now that she had had such interesting company.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 2:24 am

Gideon snorted as he only half heard what she had to say. Looking into his future was the worst sort of degradation the woman could possibly have committed; he felt like nothing was sacred with those kinds of people.

Mhmm.

He only made a sound in order to be civil, when in reality, he turned the corner quickly in an attempt to escape. She would know where he was going, probably, if she kept her magic going, but Gideon felt like she would have no reason if he kept treating her like an unwanted burden.

It was feasible to think that she might know where the bandits were, but he didn't want to risk having to listen to her go on and on about fortune and fate. Such things were for time to tell, not people.

Gideon was far enough away rather quickly; he had turned a corner, woven through a crowd and found himself lost in the middle of Riverfall in the blink of an eye, then he sighed to himself as he made his way to the nearest alleyway and leaned back against a building. He seemed to frequent those around here, but now, the allure of being hidden was rather more imperative to him that was anything else.

Good riddance, Gideon huffed harshly. I don't want any damned seer latching on to me. I don't mind protecting people, but that sort of tactic is ridiculous. I hate those who exploit the kindness of others.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 2:29 am

He really didn't like me.

The Konti couldn't help but smirk. The man would have his reasons. She could look into them if she wished, but she had learned not to pry farther than what she had need of, and she felt some small sense of duty to not look farther into this man than the surface from which she had skimmed at for those tiny details that made up the whole of a person. Maybe it was his obvious dislike. She felt a bit of empathy for him then, because he stones had told her they would meet again, she hoped he would not be too put out by this...whenever it did happen to occur, for that, she did not know
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 2:37 am

He sat down quietly, drawing his blade onto his lap and cleaning it quietly. He had lost the desire to write for the day, as if it had gone out the door with seeing the fortune telling woman. Quaint.

Gideon did, very much, dislike it when people got the best of him. Hate was a strong word, and he only used it for things that were bitterly opposed to him, but this sort of feeling, this quiet loathing that distracted him so direly, that was almost hate to him.

And he felt bad about it, to be honest. Gideon saw no reason to hate the person for the skills they had... but something about her, the way she had looked into his future with no regard for how he felt about it, no respect for him in unveiling the fact, no care in how she approached the situation... she was chaos, disorder, all the things Tyveth taught him to stand against.

Damnable day...
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 2:42 am

Shiva slowly made her way back into town, having put on her boots and flipped up her hood once more. Interesting how she could feel so utterly alone in this crowd of people. Wasn't there a saying to that affect? She finally began to turn off and cross into the alleyways, finding herself more at home in the shadows then among the crowds, the angry Gideon still weighing upon her mind as she walked.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 2:48 am

He stared down at the blade in concentration, feeling the flat of the broadsword with his bare fingers. There was some degree of bonding between a swordsman and his weapon, and Gideon did his best to maintain the standard of respect for his own gallant blade.

The fine steel glistened in the last vestiges of sunlight, radiating with a cool light in contrast to the heat of the dying day. The sound of water cascading in the distance offset the scratching of his nails against the metal, ensuring that it was still coarse enough to take a beating, and that he would not need to have it reworked anytime soon.

He recalled his time in Syliras, the way that the blade was meant to portray the innermost desires of it's master in combat... and he felt ashamed of himself. The way he had treated the woman had been wrong. This blade seemed to tell him that he should rebuke himself, and yet, he was far too proud to do it. He sheathed the broadsword with a quiet curse, staring blankly at the wall opposite him.

Why am I the only one who is so harshly conflicted?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

PreviousNext