Not all those who wander can be found (Gideon)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Shiva on May 17th, 2010, 11:06 pm

38th of Spring 510 AV

Water cascaded over smooth stones as a small stream made it's way to join one of the many tributaries that gave Riverfall it's name. Small yellow flowers poked out between stones and moss, and a cloaked figure stooped over the small plants. It seemed odd that whoever this cloak belonged to would keep it on on such a lovely day, but the form stuck to the shade, and did not remove the cloak throughout the warm day.

Shiva liked this place; more than the others. It was home to a noble people, but also housed great beauty and places where she could seek solace. Now she read a small book of poetry her sisters had bequeathed her with on her departure from the White Isle, it's pages tattered and worn from the years she had carried it.

The sun set and twin violet eyes glanced away from faded pages to watch it's passage, more out of habit than enjoyment of the beauty, calculating the progression of colors as the blood orange orb sank.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Words: 8531
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Race: Konti

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Gideon paced idly, waiting for Panex in the designated location... or had he come to the wrong location? That was quite possible. Though at any rate, eventually the other man and he would find each other. Gideon figured that Panex would live a day without training if it came to that.

He watched the sunset, something that he had loved quite dearly in his youth, fascinated by its vivid colors and the way in which it seemed as if an artist were slathering paint onto a canvas before his very eyes. The firmament was something Gideon had always held as a constant; not many things were the same day to day in a world struggling to return to balance.

Gideon's smile was part of his natural allure; whenever it came to him being in a situation that compromised him, he just seemed to grin and bear it. He had the charisma of a humble and yet caring man, and it showed whenever he let it.

The armored human glanced around, not altogether sure of what was going on up until now. The city was a beautiful place, especially as the twilight came, and he wanted to enjoy it whilst looking into his little journal. He flipped the book open and began scratching away at a page with his quill.

Secret :
"When the day has burned away, what will be left? Some men go their entire lives asking questions and relying on gods for understanding, but I firmly believe you cannot just hope that the divine will carry you through. Faith is not some sort of independent undertaking; duty is bred from faith, and a life of service is one of action, not simple prayer and hope."
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Words: 24869
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 17th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Shiva glanced from the growing shadows to the arrival of the man. She had closed her book and slid it into the folds of her robe as the light of day sunk into darkness. Now she watched his progression with a passing glance before her eyes turned to the shadowy river.

The man would not see her if she did not move, for her unmistakable heritage was cloaked in black, and she was very good at keeping still after living with a race that so resembled spiders. Do not shake the webs young one, for even the slightest tremor alerts all of those connected to it. We are one, and we do not take kindly to you here. The Konti watched a small trout worm it's way lazily along the current, casting deeper shadows on the stream bed. After a time she came back to gaze at the man, writing something down in a notebook, a singly thread of curiosity sparking for an instant before fading into the impassiveness.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 17th, 2010, 11:42 pm

The ornately armored Gideon seemed to write while pacing with ease, though it was only because he was so impassioned when it came to his wordplay. Next to swordsmanship, it was one of his greatest passions.

Secret :
"When night's darkest hour lingers in the sky above, who answers the call? What man in his right mind would be a hero for a civilization that shunned him, or would give his life for a cause he never knew? What does it take to breed new life from nothing, and what does it take to muster up the courage to die for something? What is belief? What is success, and what is failure?"

Gideon tilted his head slightly, nodding his approval of the lines of writing that unfurled so easily onto the paper. He was shaping the rhetorical aspect of his thoughts, and then, he would craft it into a story to the best of his ability. Gideon's hope was to one day successfully write an account of his travels and misadventures, hopefully spurring on someone to follow a path similar to the one he had chosen for himself. It was a dream far off down the road, but one he cared deeply for nonetheless.

Secret :
"In the darkest recesses of the temple I found myself, quiet and alone. No one but myself and the all consuming silence that wreathed me in it's cold embrace to keep me company. It was there that I asked those questions. What had been my purpose up to that point, and what was my purpose from that point forward? As if in answer, there came a light..."

His head snapped upward slightly as he thought he heard something, though he quickly dismissed it as nothing. Gideon was quite cautious when it came to being alone at night time, and actually, he was rather cautious all around.

The dark haired man spun around quickly, surveying everything, then quietly asked,
Who goes there?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 17th, 2010, 11:55 pm

The Konti was quite amused by the man's fervor, it made that thread of curiosity spark into something larger, and she couldn't help a small smile watching him pace back and forth, obviously quite enamored with his work.

Maybe she let out a small chuckle, she certainly had no recollection of it, but he turned her way nonetheless. She chided herself for giving up her hiding spot, but found that she was no longer faced with that urge to separate herself from people, and this man was obviously interesting in one way or another.

Slowly the Konti rose, shedding the velvet hood that was cast over her pale features. Two eyes that would appear coal black in the fading light of day stared out at the man, framed by a pale face and snow white hair that bunched in loose coils around the Konti's shoulders.

She emerged from the shade, feet bare and also pale, though with a faint lavender glimmer shining from the tops of her feet, a pair of boots held loosely in one hand as she bowed slightly, the figure appearing to be a girl no more than 15 or 16 years of age.

Forgive me for disturbing your works sir, I had no intention of sneaking upon you on this wonderful eve, only of finding my own place in the encroaching darkness

She stepped forward and smiled softly.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 12:03 am

He gave a gruff sound in response, not really sure what to say. He didn't see a reason not to believe her, but then, she had been hiding in the first place, so it was quite suspicious to him.

Why do you hide, if not to sneak up on passers-by?

Gideon walked forward to close the distance quickly, his imposing presence less threatening than it was inquisitive. He looked down into her eyes, studying as if to find truth amidst a dense fog of unknowns.

In fact, how do you know I am not some sort of fiend myself, intent on taking your life and casting your hollow shell aside as some sort of trophy?

Gideon's words were no sort of threat; he meant to arouse her sense of danger, hoping she might learn not to trifle with strangers, least of all ones who looked inherently dangerous. It was the least he could do for someone so poorly prepared to defend themselves as this girl looked to be.

Pale, frail, youthful... all the wrong things for a girl to be in a city full to the brim of brutish warriors. Gideon felt his conscious nagging at him not to let her be. He felt as if he had been moved here, as if it were divine providence that he found her. Perhaps she needed his help?

Who are you, and what are you doing alone in Riverfall? Where are your parents? Are you lost?
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 18th, 2010, 12:19 am

Shiva looked upon the man with a small smile. There were some who wold recognize one of her kind upon sight. This man, it seemed, was not one of them. He was obviously an entity who gave care to those around him, and she felt a small tug from her pocket where her reading runes lay nestled in their fur bag. She worked to slide the smile off, though she did not look as much like the admonished child as the knowing elder

There are not many fiends who would take such pleasure in the written word, even less who would enjoy it by the light of the setting sun. And to be fair, I was inhabiting this spot before you journeyed here...

At his last question the Konti's smile returned, though it did not reach those deep pools of violet.

You ask a lot of questions sir, and I answer as best I can. My name is Shiva, and I come to Riverfall only to explore more of Mizahar, to learn and to search for purpose. I am not lost, though there are some who would see me as such, and my parents have passed. For now I walk alone.

For now. Something tickled the mark granted to her by her god. Something told her that her journey would no longer fall upon only her own shoulders.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 12:28 am

You answer questions aptly, and without angering. At least you know something of patience, of temperance.

It was a praise, if anything, to be told that by Gideon. He was quite tired of people trying to take shots at him for giving them the third degree, or for people trying to fight him over information. Why couldn't they all just say what he needed them to? They could all just go about their business if they did that. Of course, no one liked doing things the easy way. Not so with this girl, though.

You have little need for worry if you know where you are going. Be mindful that you are safe, so long as you take care of yourself, and do not get caught up in the foul undertakings of society. And I am sorry to hear of the loss of your parents. No child should have to suffer that pain. I pray you good evening, ma'am.

He was rapidly losing interest in where his "apprentice" was, assessing the girl for only a moment longer before he turned to go. She seemed far too happy to speak up, and even more happy to talk about herself. Gideon was glad to have cooperation, but she could do little in the way of helping him find the bandits. Between helping Panex learn something of swordsmanship and questioning locals for details on his quarry, he had no time for little girls, especially ones who so sorely reminded him of the loss of his parents.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Shiva on May 18th, 2010, 1:10 am

Shiva bows slightly as he departs, though the man couldn't see the motion. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the fur-lined pouch, emptying it into her palm and glancing at what she found there. She nodded at the contents and slid them back, watching the retreating figure

Good evening to you Sir Linvaille, till we meet again. Mayhaps then you will be less busy.
Last edited by Shiva on May 19th, 2010, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shiva
Player

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 18th, 2010, 1:34 am

He stopped in his tracks, gripping his broadsword with his left hand. He knew something was wrong because he had not given this girl his name. Now, when the red flag went up, all he did was turnabout and look down at her.

Who are you?

He said nothing else. He had gotten this from her already, but it did not sate his need to know. If she was a danger to his life, he would deal with her here and now.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Next