Diamond in the Rough

Grasis // In which Hadrian gets a clean bill of health and meets a boy with no memories.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Hadrian on November 8th, 2012, 4:40 am

"Don't look at me like that," he said. "I'm going to put you someplace safe with food and whatever else you need. As soon as I get back from Sahova, we will be leaving for Zeltiva. You and me. I promise."

He put his hand on the boy's shoulder. Doing some mental mathematics, he gauged the boy was about a foot shorter than him. But age was difficult to guess; people's bodies began to change from child to adult according to their own clocks. Well, even if they couldn't reclaim his memories, he could live at the Farson Home for several years. He needn't be cast adrift here.

"Come on," he said, and led him out the door with that hand on his shoulder. Time might be of the essence here. If that was his first big meal in a while, sleep might soon overtake him and Hadrian wanted him safely ensconced in a room of his own.

"You lead the way to the clothier, and why don't you tell me what to call you in the meantime."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 8th, 2012, 4:54 am

He promised. What did that even mean. Plenty of people promised in Sunberth. But still, he felt he could trust Hadrian. He really seemed to mean it, despite everything. Blinking up at Hadrian he would smile slightly, "Well...as long as when you get back you dont leave me again." Nodding he would lean his head against Hadrians hand as he sets it on his shoulder. He didn't want to stop touching Hadrian. This was what he wanted, not some clothes. But the clothes would do for now.

"Umm, alright." With a slight nod he would start walking down the street, staying close to the buildings by instinct and reflex. "I uh dont really know my name. But, um, Silk would be a cool name. Or um, frost. Or perhaps," he would cough around the word "love" trying to hide it while at the same time trying to see Hadrians reaction. He wanted to see what this man thought of him. He needed to know.

But, what if Hadrian didn't feel that way. Perhaps he was just some charity case, and he was being silly. This was wierd, he knew. How could he be foolish enough to say such things. To risk this miracle so stupidly. But, he had been taking risks all night. Stopping now might ruin things.
Grasis Deviil
Player

Words: 22191
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Hadrian on November 8th, 2012, 5:11 am

Perhaps the boy looked older than he was, or the lack of memory made him act more childlike. In any case, Hadrian maintained the physical contact because it seemed to calm him down and that was a large part of his goal right now. The mystery of his memories would take time, it seemed, and so they would have to develop a rapport.

"I was born and raised in Syliras, and I have made you a promise. You can count on it. I will return for you. In Zeltiva I am a teacher, and I care for the young. You will number among them for as long as you wish."

He listened thoughtfully to those ideas for names. Silk. Frost. Love?

"Silkfrost. Sounds Vantha. I have Vantha blood from my mother's side of the family," he said. If the boy didn't have his own history, he could borrow part of Hadrian's to hold onto. "When I was there, Morwen told me that I had blood from the Iceglaze hold in my veins. That's how the djed storm did this to my eyes and to my hair. You don't remember the storm, do you?"

Thinking about it, he said, "What about Kasai? It means hope in the ancient tongue. Seems like something you will need for a while."

Of course, he wasn't trying to make the decision for him, but offering alternatives since he didn't seem to know what he wanted in anything except some clothes and to stay in Hadrian's presence. He supposed he ought to be flattered. When the boy stopped in front of a building, he stopped too.

"Is this it?" he asked, and opened the door for him.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 12th, 2012, 4:29 am

Hadrian spoke of places as if Grasis should know. And maybe he should have, but it definitely wasn't the case. This Syliras, it was nothing to him. Or maybe Grasis was nothing to it. Either way, this place was just a name. No notion of what sort of place it was. It was probably better than Sunberth, after all Hadrian was raised in it. But, if it was supposed to mean the promise was good...well, they'd see.

But, where was Zeltiva? This place that he was to move to. It could be even worse than Sunberth though he doubted it. Though, he would take the chance if it meant that Hadrian would come back to him.

"Silkfrost. That sounds really neat. And no I dont remember any storm...But, Kasai..." he would say the name, rolling it on his tongue. He'd smile to Hadrian and nod, "I'll take it."

As they walked he would smile up to Hadrian. He had to impress Hadrian. He considered him young, he even said so. He was only a child in this man's eyes. He knew he wasn't, yet how could he convince Hadrian if he cant remember when he was born. Looking up to Hadrian he would smile, "You know...i'm not that young. I dont remember, but i'm pretty sure i'm at least..." He would pause, trying to think of an age that would be acceptable, "Thirty."

Yes, thirty would be a suitible age. He would be a man then.

Nodding to Hadrian as they reached the clothiers, he would enter as the door is opened for him. Going in, he would look down, avoiding the store owners eye's. He didn't want to get in trouble for being in here. Pointing at a display case he would blush slightly. "Umm...I like it. But, it's um a little expensive."

He would be pointing at a silk vest with a hood, with a pair of silken pants next to them, the pants bearing a white design. "I'll understand if you dont want to get em..."
clothes :
ImageImage
Grasis Deviil
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Hadrian on November 12th, 2012, 4:50 am

"Then Kasai Silkfrost you will be until we recover your name," he said with a faint smile. The boy was hopeful and whimsical despite his bruises and partial nakedness. It was imperative he save him from Sunberth, which would strip that innocence from him in the blink of an eye.

"Thirty, huh?" He didn't deny it, even though he was quite sure young Kasai was only half that.

When they were inside, Hadrian nodded to the clothier, who smiled at him as soon as he had sized up Hadrian's own clothes, which were not fancy, but were finely made. If he had been fooled by Kasai's baby face, his choice of clothes would have made it clear he was not thirty years old. They were fanciful, and not practical, but he nodded all the same.

"Go try them on and make sure they fit," he said, and while Kasai did that, Hadrian would speak to the clothier about cotton underthings and tighter fitting woolen clothes he could wear under the silk when he really began to feel the bite of autumnal chill.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 19th, 2012, 5:16 am

He had a name. It wasn't what he would have picked, but it fit. It seemed to suit him, and he liked it. He refused to even consider that the reason he liked the name so much was because Hadrian had said it. No, he chose Kasai Silkfrost. Hadrian had just sped the process up.

Go try on the clothes, he was told. But go? Why? With a shrug he dropped his pants, standing there in the middle of the shop naked, revealing bruises that the pants had previously hidden, as he picked up the silk pants. They would feel good on his skin he was sure. With a smile to Hadrian he would slip the silk pants on quickly, before pulling the vest on. It was comfortable. Perhaps not perfectly fit to him, but much better than the hobo clothes he had on previously. And the way they felt on his skin, this had to be a dream.

"Hadrian, Hadrian! These feel so amazing!" He'd say excitedly, as he rushes over to where Hadrian and the shopkeeper stand talking. "You have to get some, they really do feel like clouds!" He couldn't keep his enthusiasm out of his voice, and it shined in his eye's. He was getting this god-send gift from the first man to take a positive interest in him. What had he done this morning to deserve all this?
Grasis Deviil
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Hadrian on November 19th, 2012, 6:34 am

Had he been watching, he might have cast a veil of illusion around the boy to protect his dignity, but he was speaking to the clothier, who was getting things down for him and making a tally. The man seemed to know his business well, able to eye a person and know their size. Hadrian turned to take in Kasai's enthusiasm with an indulgent smile.

"I hardly think those would flatter me, but I'm glad they're a little big. You'll grow, but in the meantime there's room for extra layers when it gets colder." The shopkeeper set the other things down. "And boots, I think. The low ones. Unless you prefer high?" He glanced askance at Kasai for his preference. "And socks, of course."

The man began to pull more for them to peruse. Hadrian thought it would be a small price to pay for the boy's transient happiness.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 19th, 2012, 6:47 am

"How can you be so sure i'll grow?" He would ask, tilting his head. He wasn't even sure how old he was, maybe he was to old to grow? He wouldn't voice an objection to the clothes, but he sincerely wanted to know how Hadrian got his information. It might help him figure out what he did to get so lucky. And if not, at least he'd be able to be more like this amazing man.

He would shrug at the question of boots, "I've never worn any that i know of...which do you think would look neat with my clothes?" With a nod he would yawn, covering his mouth and looking to the side, doing a pitiful job of hiding it from Hadrian. He didn't want this man to see him tired. At least, not until Hadrian was tired as well. He was already viewed as a child, he didn't want to reinforce that.

As more clothes were pulled out infront of them to look at, Grasis would struggle to hold back yawns, rubbing his eye's when he thought Hadrian wasn't watching trying to stay awake. It had been a while since he had slept last, and it was taking it's toll with a meal in his stomach.
Grasis Deviil
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Hadrian on November 19th, 2012, 7:22 am

"Educated guess," he assured him as they perused boots. He tapped a pair of low boots. Aside from the journey back to Zeltiva, Kasai was likely to be an urbanite, so he wouldn't need high boots. Well, there would be time and opportunity to make other purchases as needed.

The clothier wrapped up the remaining clothes in brown paper and tied it with twine, writing out a receipt of purchase, the which Hadrian paid and tucked the parcel under his arm.

"Come along, then," he said. "Need to get you a place to stay before you pass out on the street." He smiled and ruffled the lad's hair, then stooped to pick up his discarded pants because waste not, want not. "Did you just...? Never mind. Let's go." He laughed a little.

It didn't take too long to get back to the inn where they had eaten, but young Kasai was wobbling on his feet, and so Hadrian had his arm around him to keep him upright. Arrangements had already been made with the innkeeper, and so they were led up to a small room that would keep Kasai safe while Hadrian was in Sahova. A small copper tub was half-full with hot water.

Hadrian thanked the man and took the key, watching him leave. He set Kasai down on the bed, then the parcel on the table.

"You ought to make use of the hot water while it's here," he said. "It will help with the bruises and knock you out for some much needed rest. Then you won't get your new clothes filthy either. I'll make sure you get to bed."

Purchases :
  • Pants, silk - 8 gm
  • Vest, brocade - 8 gm
  • Boots, low - 3 sm
  • Loincloth - 3 cm
  • Stockings - 4 sm
  • Shirt, cotton - 1 sm
Colors and whatnot are up to Grasis, and the loot will all go on his CS.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Diamond in the Rough

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 19th, 2012, 7:41 am

The trip from the clothiers to the inn seemed to pass in a blur. He recalled conversation but he couldn't remember the specifics. He hoped he hadn't embaressed himself, but he just couldn't help it. His eye's wouldn't stay open and his legs were getting ready to revolt. But, it wasn't all bad. Maybe he was imagining it but he hoped not, Hadrian was holding him. He had thrown an arm around him to keep him up. It felt, nice.

He was on a bed, better than he had slept in since awakening. This would be interesting. There was something in the middle of the room, but he couldn't focus on it. Hot water? Where? Oh, was that a...what was it called, a Tub in the middle? Was he to use it...the tone of Hadrians voice suggested he was, but it was over there and all he wanted to do was sink in this bed. Motioning to Hadrian he would smile, "Help me?" he'd mumble sleepily.

"Dont think I can stay awake enough to without help." With that, he would slowly start pulling his vest off, taking exagerated care in his sleepiness. "Thank you for everything Hadrian." He would mumble as he lays his vest out carefully, taking pride in ownership of his new clothes.

Standing slowly, he would wobble on his feet, blinking sleepily at the tub. "The bed was so comfortable" He would trail off as he yawns.
Grasis Deviil
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext