PM to join [Kova's Well] A Copper for Your Thoughts (Orion)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Kova's Well] A Copper for Your Thoughts (Orion)

Postby Sybel on November 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

14th Day of Fall, 512 AV

At first light, Sybel had begun to wander the city. For how long she couldn’t say, suffice that the sun had reached it’s highest peak and on. Mid-afternoon was her best guess. It had been in an effort to see the extent of the city, but also to be among people. The simple proximity to other bodies helped her feel more at ease, less alone. It was almost sad how they were so close and yet their minds were so far away. But Sybel wasn’t interested in feeling sorry for herself – not then, anyway. She’d save that for when she had a pint in her, with fiery alcohol coursing through her veins. In the meantime she was attempting to swallow the bitter pill that her plans had fallen through.

She’d asked around the market about opening shop, with the usual questions. What would it entail, where were some available spaces, how much would it cost to purchase property. Things of that nature. It was only toward the end of her investigation that she had been informed of the Knight’s regulations – there was no opportunity for profit whatsoever. A prospective merchant would have to surrender their proceeds to Syliran Knights, in exchange for their livelihood and little else. There were no words. It was outrageous. What hurt the most however, was how foolish she’d been. With one hundred gold mizas in her pocket, Sybel had left Eyktol feeling capable of anything. If she returned, it would be hangdog and defeated. That was unacceptable.

To make matters worse, her brain had reverted to the previous night’s misadventure at the Stallion. How embarrassing. The way those men had referred to her made her feel like a brood sow. As much as she had played it off at the time, it still lingered. It hadn’t been the actual situation in question so much as how it’d been turned around on her. When the mysterious stranger had raised his glass, it seemed like she would have an opportunity to forget for a while. Just disappear in some innocent game, playing coy. Pretending to be someone else. Instead it had been an ugly reminder of what motivated her.

Without realizing, her feet had carried her to a well. The well in question was a beautiful landmark, a circular patter in the masonry embellishing it. Fragrant flowers spilled out of the edge of their tiny pot, hanging from the wooden frame. As she approached, the thick pollen was almost palpable in the air. Peering down into the depths, the glimmer of what looked like coins caught her eye. So it was a wishing well? That was an interesting coincidence, she mused. Deliberately, she fished out a single copper and clutched it tightly in her fist.

“Please,” she spoke softly. “Show me the way. Send me something, anything.” It was to Ovek, her deity and thus far best friend. As she tightly closed her eyes, she loosened her fist and the miza plummeted into the well inky depths. It almost sent her back to childhood, standing there… Just hoping fiercely.

Footsteps rang out behind her. To avoid further embarrassment, she whirled to face the unknown stranger.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Orion Michaels on November 3rd, 2012, 5:34 am

Orion

Orion wasn't sure what led him to Kova's Well today. He was taking a quick break from his work at the Soothing Waters, but he'd wandered around a bit more than intented. It wasn't a location he visited often in the city. In fact, he really couldn't think of a single time he had. Tossing money away into a well seemed silly to him. You weren't going to get anything out of it, and that money was lost for sure. I guess there's a peace of mind it can offer. Regardless, Orion couldn't see himself throwing his mizas away like that. It was much better to be blacked out drunk. At least it was an experience, right?

It would appear his exploration wouldn't leave disappointed. A familiar figure stood, quiet, and seemingly deep in plot. The doctor decided to approach her, if just to get a better look. Imagine the surprise on his face as he heard her speak, wishing for guidance. He'd heard that voice only the previous day, and he couldn't forget it. The woman, he'd never caught her name, but he knew he'd gotten under her skin. It was all too perfect. Send me something, anything, she had said. The grin grew so very quickly across the blue eyed man's face. It was though someone had opened the gates and invited him through. So walk through he would.

With arms crossed and that frustrating smirk on his face, he spoke to the desert woman, his eyes twinkling with bemusement. "It's your lucky day, I guess the gods answer prayers from time to time, huh?" He continued to advance slowly towards her. "You left the fun so early last night. Left me in tears," he said, voice dripping with sarcasm. "I hope you weren't too lonely."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sybel on November 3rd, 2012, 3:47 pm

There he was. Her look betrayed her almost immediately – shock, then some vague expression of irony. Ovek had a perverse sense of humor. Then again, so did she. Syliras was a large city. The probability of their meeting was slim. At that point it was very hard for her to believe that it was some sort of coincidence. So, much like with the rest of life, she decided to just go with it.

"It's your lucky day, I guess the gods answer prayers from time to time, huh?" He stalked toward her like a predator. "You left the fun so early last night. Left me in tears." His bitter, mocking tone oozed from the cracks between every phrase. "I hope you weren't too lonely."

This man was sort of fascinating, she had to admit. She lounged back against the frame of the well, exuding ease. His physical presence wasn’t so overwhelming that he’d intimidate her. He seemed to think differently. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t seen men throw their weight around before. With an off-hand manner, she grinned. “Must have contacted the wrong gods,” she countered. “That’s what you get when you only spend a copper.”

Divine intervention wouldn’t come cheap, she supposed. Then again… Well sometimes kismet happened. Sybel certainly was not a true believer by any stretch of the imagination, but the timing was too curious. Happenstance was one thing, fate another. There was a purpose for their meeting, even if it was simply to annoy her. That would be revealed with a little cooperation, so why not play along? They had served her well up until that point, so she’d trust the better judgment of her deity.

“What brings you to the well, hmm?” Sybel was feeling particularly satirical. “Come to wish your hangover away? Or perhaps you’re here to wish for my gracious presence?” Deliberately, she traced her form from head to toe.

“Well, here I am.” She announced, hoping to irritate him somehow.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on November 3rd, 2012, 8:51 pm

Orion

It was interesting that someone could look so shocked and yet completely unsurprised at the same time, but this woman had done it. Surely Orion wasn't who she expected to see today, or even more likely, he wasn't someone she wanted to see. "Well, you get what you pay for, right? I'd think I'm worth more than a copper, but the gods, they have their jokes don't they?"

Orion walked past her, peering down into the well before continuing to speak. "What do you think the chances of us running into each other again? So many people in this city, and here we stand again. How lucky." He gazed down into the well, the reflection of the water glimmering slightly off his eyes. "What brings me here? Probably the same thing that brought you. Random wandering around the city. I didn't drink near enough for a hangover, although.." Slowly turning around, he allowed himself to take in the woman's form slowly, his gaze following her own tracing movements. She was tall, lean, attractive, with a lovely brown tone.

Smiling, he reached into his pocket, procuring a gold rimmed miza. "Well, if a copper got you me..." he trailed off, tossing his coin over his shoulders after first shutting his eyes. When the plop of a coin hitting water was heard, he opened his eyes, a flicker of disappointment touching his expression. "I guess it doesn't always work, hmm? You're not dragging me off to your room." Orion never expected it to work, but it was fun to play. She had made her disinterest quite clear the previous evening, and even more apparent was how she loathed being treated as an item. He occasionally wondered if maybe he would cross the line, but what was said was said, and apologizing wasn't a strong suit, so they would just see where it took them. "I suppose you prefer a proper fellow like that Drykas making the small talk, hmm?" He raised his eyebrows in an almost teasing challenge. "How was he?"

That one might have been too far, he thought to himself. The last few weeks Orion had been less pleasant than was proper. A hurt pride had left the young doctor reeling, and he was unfairly taking it out on those around him. "I..that was...whoops.." He chuckled, scratching the back of his head in slight embarrassment.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sybel on November 4th, 2012, 3:18 am

”Well, you get what you pay for, right?” So there was a sense of humor hidden beneath the arrogance. ”I’d think I’m worth more than a copper, but the gods, they have their jokes don’t they?” They certainly did, she agreed with an internal sneer. That was unfair though. He wasn’t as bad as he pretended to be, she could see that. A real scumbag would have followed her back to her tent. He’d let her go. She could credit him with that much.

He passed her, gaze fixed on the well’s contents. Perhaps he too had a legitimate wish? It wouldn’t be one he’d readily give up, but she couldn’t help but wonder. ”What do you think the chances of us running into each other again? So many people in this city, and here we stand again. How lucky.” Was he being sarcastic? She honestly couldn’t tell. He seemed only slightly sarcastic that time. She couldn’t help but smile at his droll humor. His eyes were almost azure, reflecting the cool surface of the water. The sight was actually lovely.

”What brings me here? Probably the same thing that brought you. Random wandering around the city. I didn’t drink near enough for a hangover, although…” As he trailed off, she arched an eyebrow in vague suspicion. He seemed to look her up and down in a gratifying fashion, drinking her in. Well that was to be expected. She’d put herself on display that time, so it wasn’t entirely inappropriate. He fished in his pocket and produced a gold coin. Closing his eyes he waited a beat then tossed it in.

When he opened them, he seemed down. ”I guess it doesn’t always work, hmm? You’re not dragging me off to your room.” He was quite bold, wasn’t he? Old habits died hard she mused with a smirk.

“You mean tent.” Sybel corrected teasingly. He didn’t know the first thing about her. “A vagabond such as myself can’t afford ritzy lodging.” That was true. Perhaps the statement would throw him for a loop. Maybe he cared to know more, maybe not. That remained to be seen.

”I supposed you prefer a proper fellow like that Drykas, making the small talk, hmmm?” He drawled, eyebrows raising in inquiry.

”How was he?” Oh so it was jealousy that made him unkind? That was understandable, but only to a degree. The male ego was a fragile thing, but he barely knew her. Time and again he played at staking a claim. It confused her sensibilities.

Suddenly his demeanor changed. Was he sheepish? That was different. ”I..that was…whoops.” It was the best apology she could hope for at least. Something was bothering him, clearly. Sybel wasn’t sure who he was when he was acting normally but perhaps his bad behavior was a reflection of some larger issue. She’d suspected as much but couldn’t be sure.

“You’re fine.” She replied, reassuring him. “What’s on your mind?” Her concern was apparent. Sometimes people needed a complete stranger to confide in. She could be that for him. Not a place to bury his groin, but perhaps a place to bury his secrets. That had some potential.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on November 4th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Orion

"A tent, huh? That's no good. There's a place called the Traveler's Row here in the city. It's like a silver miza a day. If you don't have that, I could be persuaded to part with a coin or two. I'm a man of many tastes, so it should be too difficult," he said, smiling wryly. He tilted his head slightly inquisitively before continuing. "A vagabond, huh? I've done a little traveling, but never been in a situation where I had to stay in a tent when at a city." He crossed his arms, resting against the edge of the well. "So are you running from something? Or running to it?"

She had just watched him sort of ramble on, taking each thing he said more with curiosity rather than the disdain she showed their previous encounter. He wasn't sure what to make of it. Last night his every word annoyed her, and he'd half expected her to make her exit, but there she was. Her sudden offer as a place to confide was quite unexpected, causing Orion to stand up straight and move from his brief resting point. Like she really wants to know. What's her angle, I wonder.

"Ah, it's nothing really," he lied, shaking his head. "I'm just a giant manbaby. But what's you're goal here. People don't offer shoulders to cry on without expecting something." He paused, appearing to be contemplating his words. His deep blue eyes were troubled and unsure. "Not that I would have any problems with yours. But come on. Are you trying to get me to say something you can embarrass me with because of last night?" HE didn't really have any reason to trust the woman. What was more dangerous that a woman scorned?

"I don't mean to be so suspicious...well, scratch that, I actually do, but it's just..unexpected."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sybel on November 4th, 2012, 10:35 pm

”A tent, huh? That’s no good. There’s a place called the Traveler’s Row here in the city. It’s like a silver miza a day. If you don’t have that, I could be persuaded to part with a coin or two. I’m a man of many tastes, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.” Flirtation seemed to be his final resting pulse, she observed dryly. It was a second language to him. That was a linguistic specialty of hers, as long as it was light-hearted in nature. His tone was distinctly less spiteful than she previous night and so she simply shook her head, her lips stretching back into a grin.

“ A generous offer. I couldn’t possibly accept.” She quipped lightly, attempting to derail him with feigned humility. “I’m just a lowly nomad and you a revered…” She waved a hand absently, indicating for him to fill in the blanks. Their banter was welcome in contrast to the previous gloomy silence.

”A vagabond, huh? I’ve done a little traveling but never been in a situation where I had to stay in a tent when at a city.” He seemed almost skeptical of that. Perhaps he’d never met a gypsy before. That struck her as unlikely. Maybe it was her gender that misled him. Comfortable lodgings could be seen as a female conceit, at least in those that wandered. That was something she’d illuminate.

“I have no vanities beyond good food, ale and conversation. A tent is what I’m used to. Think what you will, but it saves money and it’s an arrangement I’ve become accustomed to.” That explanation would suffice. It was the only one she needed, personally. Being independent had shaped her into a pragmatist – the ability to rub two coppers together and produce a third.

”So are you running from something? Or running to it?” Now there was an interesting inquiry. It was just insightful enough to impress her. Perhaps she was obvious in that regard: a hopeless, homeless nomad without a tribe.

“To something, that which is currently unknown. I’m looking to turn a profit, though opportunity is slim here, what with the socialized economy and all.” That latter half of her sentence came out darkly. “I’m thinking of moving on relatively soon.”

When she’d offered to listen, he seemed almost repelled from her. That was fair. It had come out of left field – well to him, anyway. Altruism was simply a function of her genial outlook. But he wouldn’t know that about her, therefore suspicion was a healthy reaction.

”Ah, it’s nothing really.” So he wasn’t going to tell her, in other words. That wasn’t hard to intepret. ”I’m just a giant manbaby.” He said deprecatingly. ”But what’s your goal here? People don’t offer shoulders to cry on without expecting something.” Something stopped his train of thought. Taciturn, she paused alongside. It wouldn’t accomplish much if she interrupted him.

”Not that I would have any problems with yours. But come on. Are you trying to get me to say something you can embarrass me with because of last night?” So that was his angle. He expected her to hold a grudge? It seemed he had misjudged her.

”I don’t mean to be suspicious…well, scratch that, I actually do, but it’s just..unexpected.”

That was a fact. Sighing with mock tragedy, she explained. “Always misunderstood.” She lamented playfully. “Seriously though, embarrass you how? Make some public announcement about your personal life? I must have offended you last night.” That had made itself apparent enough.

“Look,” she began, “I’m not one to hold anything against a stranger. Perhaps you were having a rough night. I had only just arrived so anything I said was not intended in poor spirit. Rather I was tired and just looking for an escape.” Sybel frowned.

“If you’d rather not talk to me about such things, I could understand. It was just an offer. I enjoy conversation with anyone willing to tell a tale.” Reassuringly she smiled once more.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on November 4th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Orion

"A doctor," he replied. "It would be no problem, but if you insist. I can get several more drinks for what it would cost to house you." Stated plainly, a smirk on his lips. "I'm sure you're not as lowly as you claim. Besides the whole tent thing," he quipped. He had met travelers before, but none of them truly nomadic as she claimed to be. It was interesting, if nothing else. "I'm sure you have some amazing stories or something. I can't imagine not having any with a lifestyle as such."

"Running towards the unknown. Hmm..." He paused, digesting that idea slowly. It was a concept he'd wanted to experience fully. Sure, he'd gone off a few times, but always made he way back to Syliras. He let out a small chuckle, looking into her pale blue eyes with his dark blue ones. "I'm almost envious of you. It's carefree and really refreshing. I can't deny I've wondered whether or not the safety is worth the trade off." He gave a dramatic gasp and her statement of leaving the city. "Would be a shame to see you go. Syliras, where ambition goes to die, huh?"

She made a strong point. What could she say to truly embarrass the doctor? It wasn't as though his exploits weren't known. He'd been tooling around that same tavern for many seasons now. "Looking for an escape, huh? Maybe we're a little more alike than I had imagined." This woman was offering to listen to him, and she was planning on leaving. He supposed there was no harm in sharing a little, as stupid as it was. Yet when he opened his mouth, he couldn't form the words to say. He looked up her, an almost embarrassed look on his face. "I...uh..I'm..." He trailed off once again. There were so many seasons he spent hiding under layers put up to keep people out. As a result, when it came to sharing anything personal, well, it was a serious struggle.

He took a deep breath, gathered himself, and forced the words out. "I sabotage myself, destroy relationships, and have no successes or accomplishments of my own gain." It was too much to say, he knew it, but she'd asked. "See, giant manbaby," he said, smiling, though his eyes betrayed him with the sadness shining in them. "It's all pretty silly." He shook his head, turning away from her. "I'm fully of silly dramatics that don't mean anything. Sometimes I take them out on people, and well, sorry 'bout that." He reached into his pocket and tossed another coin in the well. "I wonder, is the gods favor that easy to buy?" Closing his eyes for a moment, he regained his composure the only way he really knew how. "Can you believe someone like me flirts so shamelessly? I'm surprised I haven't been locked up for harassment."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sybel on November 5th, 2012, 1:03 am

”A doctor. It would be no problem, but if you insist. I can get several more drinks for what it would cost to house you.” He was a physician? That was not something he made obvious. Michaels didn’t look shabby, but he wasn’t exactly the reputable looking fellow, with his shameless come-ons. The offer of drinks was not entirely unwelcome however and her smile shifted to a grin. Maybe she’d take him up at that.

”I’m sure you’re not as lowly as you claim. Besides the whole tent thing.” Of course, that lifestyle wasn’t exactly glamorous. His ribbing glanced off her impenetrable sense of humor, the most effective defense. ”I’m sure you have some amazing stories or something. I can’t imagine not having any with lifestyle as such.”

“Define amazing,” she answered. “I have stories, sure, but they’re more aligned with morality tales than true epics. I’m still writing those…” She trailed off.

”Running from the unknown…” That seemed quixotic to him. It honestly seemed the same to her, but what could she say? Her whole life had been dedicated to exploring that which lie within. Once she got a handle on that, it was time to explore what laid without.

”I’m almost envious of you.” Was that so? ”It’s carefree and really refreshing. I can’t deny I’ve wondered whether or not the safety is worth the trade-off.” Well, that was subjective. Safety was an overrated feeling. In reality, anyone could die possibly any moment. You weren’t really privy to that information, so why bother? Why work at a false sense of security that was, well… False? Her mention of imminent departure elicited a jibe from him. That was nice, she scowled.

“You wound me, sir.” She declared at his sarcasm. It was almost true. ”Would be a shame to see you go. Syliras, where ambition goes to die, huh?” That heated her blood a bit. “You’ve got one thing right.” She murmured.

”Looking for an escape, huh? Maybe we’re a little more alike than I had imagined.” Good thing he saw that much. He still had that bitter edge but she resolutely refused to judge him. Something had jaded him and it wasn’t really her. “You should listen first, imagine later.” She chided lightly, more interested in the progression of his story.

Suddenly he seemed embarrassed. What an emotional rollercoaster! "I…uh..I’m…” The stammering was so out of place, foiled with his previous behavior. Sometimes secrets were so well kept, that they had a hard time coming out even when coaxed. Patiently, she waited for him to finish.

”I sabotage myself, destroy relationships, and have no successes or accomplishments of my own gain.” Self-loathing rolled off him in waves. They really were quite similar, weren’t they? Her own experiences barged onto the scene. Sympathy flooded her heart. She felt quite the same once upon a time, before she learned to stop hating herself. ”See, giant manbaby. It’s all pretty silly.” That was a male characteristic. He was clearly uncomfortable with his emotions.

”It’s all pretty silly.” The doctor dismissed it further. ”I’m full of silly dramatics that don’t mean anything. Sometimes I take it out on people, and well, sorry ‘bout that.” His expression was so heartbreaking. Groping around in her brain, she tried to think of something comforting but he interrupted that by tossing another coin in.

”I wonder, is the gods favor that easy to buy?” Was he wishing for her again, or something else? Either would be acceptable, she thought with amusement. ”Can you believe someone like me flirts so shamelessly? I’m surprised I haven’t been locked up for harassment.”

“You’re a looker, so that may have kept you out of jail.” The levity and then the heavy. She laughed freely for a moment before her expression sobered. “We all have our shields. Mine is the inability to take anything seriously. It’s rather frustrating.” Oh yes, maddening. It kept people away, despite her desperation to draw them in. It was a dichotomy, she supposed. “Your shield is your charm. I’ve never met a man who uses sex as a weapon with such efficacy.”

“I know where you’re coming from. I don’t know who jilted you, but I’m sorry for that. People tend to cope with loss in different ways. Mine was anger, sarcasm… Ultimately acceptance, though I still blame myself. After all, I was betrayed. Your story sings a different tune, I suspect.”

“Though you know, I never got your common name.” She mentioned, eyeing him with caution. “It would be nice to know, unless you’d prefer ‘handsome doctor’ as a nickname.”

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on November 8th, 2012, 2:46 am

Orion

"I'm all over the place, aren't I?" He chuckled, looking at the desert woman before him. Morality tales, huh? "I think the listener really decides the quality. We're our own worst critics, aren't we?" He nodded, giving her a half smile. "I wasn't joking about it being bad that you're leaving. Not entirely, at least. There haven't been too many women in the recent time who have spurned my advances so..thoroughly. I was actually quite impressed."

She'd made a comment about listening that he'd heard too many times before. There was always someone who wanted him to, but he'd get carried away in his own issues, his own regrets, and his own problems. I'm selfish like that, he thought, keeping that one to himself. It was easy to only think about one's own issues and forget the fact that so many people had it worse. For a physician, he had some issues with compassion at times. It was as his father told him many times. We're doctor's, not saints.

It was true, all she said of his good looks and charm. At least if you asked the good doctor. "It sounds like you're giving seriousness a go, here, huh?" He quipped before quickly amending his statement. "I mean...ah..there I go again, right? I'm no good at apologies. I hide behind flirting and bad jokes. So I guess I don't do the seriousness too well, either." He nodded, letting a full smile come to his face. "We've all got our stories, right? I won't stop you from calling me 'handsome doctor', but I'm Orion. Doctor by day, deviant by day, afternoon, and night. A pleasure to meet you." He gave an exaggerated bow, complete with an over the top wave of his arm.

"I suppose that means I should come up with a nickname for you, too, hmm?" He straightened back up, now grinning. "I feel like you don't like the traditional names though. Beauti..No..Gorgeo...nah, not that either. I'm stumped."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next