Flashback from one all stems.

exploring that one important central reagent from which everything stems, and from which everything can be derived.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

from one all stems.

Postby Eridanus on November 4th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Day 3, Summer of 470 AV
Mid Morning
Lym's Workshop underneath the Opal Temple

"So tell me about the Colors of Vitriol, Eridanus."

"Most sources indicate the existence of three common forms - blue, green and white. Blue vitriol can be artificially philtered through the union of the Oil of Vitriol and Spirits of Copper, or it can be found in mine drainage areas, especially where copper and sulfur are present, or when there is an excess amount of wild djed in the atmosphere. It is effective as an emetic - perhaps to relieve ingested poison from a patient - and may be considered an antidote as well against certain poisons."

"Ah, Giea would approve."

"Like many reagents of philtering, it can also be used as an agent for etching for zinc plates."

"You're forgetting one of the more important medical uses, child."

"Oh right. I think... blue vitriol is a testing agent for those suffering from weakness of blood. By dropping the blood of a patient into a specially treated solution of blue vitriol, one can see if weakness of the blood is present in the patient, if the red drop rises. In most cases where this weakness is absent it should fall due to the strength in the blood dragging it down.

"Excellent, do continue."

"However, the most common use of blue vitirol comes in its use as a fungus killer for farmers and herb growers. Since it is a seemingly useless byproduct of mining, and furthermore the residual of undesired mine phenomena, it is generally cheap on the market and is thus rather affordable in cities near such mines. However, by itself blue vitriol is only a basic type of crop protection capable against low level fungus and has no effective against the stronger ones. In that view, the philterer can conduct a union of ores of lime and blue vitriol to create a more powerful funguns controller for cold climate crops. In order to protect new plants from drowning due to overdamping, a suitable reagent can prevent this by combining blue vitriol and the salt of hartshorn. Interestingly, salt of hartshorn make effective smelling agents to wake unconscious patients, as well as forming compounds that itself is effective for plant nutrition-"

"Let us focus on the colors of vitriol, Eridanus. If you elaborate at length on every compound mentioned-"

"-It is rather fascinating, how everything is all related and connected to each other somehow."

Lym smiled at that awe-struck observation.

"That is the beauty of our art, isn't it?"

Eridanus paused, trying to regain his thought process before his momentum got stopped by his teacher. In truth, he had been doing excessive readings during his free time, and it was quite addicting, to say the least. It was wondrous to see how everything was connected, from the predecessors to the substance itself to other compounds to which the substance is a component of. He had been working on a massive graph that visually linked it all together, though he suspected that he might have to abandon the project due to the massive interconnectedness of everything - there were so many lines linking substances to another that the graph would soon become incoherent. There must be some other method of representing such a relationship, though it eluded him.

"Excuse me," He said, clearing his throat. "May I continue?"

"You have been doing well so far, please do."

"Green vitriol can be philtered through the union of Oil of Vitriol and Spirits of Iron. Interesting how well that the Oil can cooperate with Spirits of Metal, yes? Green vitriol can also be found as a side product in mines consisting of iron and sulfur. I believe that one can attempt to extract green vitirol as well through ores rich in sulfur. Alternatively, one can induce a crystallization of green vitriol through a complex operation involving blue vitriol and iron compounds - be it spirits of iron or various ores of iron. As an interesting parallel to the ability of blue vitriol to test for weakness in the blood, green vitriol can be used to treat weakness in the blood by introducing it into food for the afflicted patient. It can also be used to create dyes in cloth and possibly wood, if the purity is of sufficient strength. At the moment I do not remember this clearly, but I think it may also be effective in the identification of certain fungus - yet another interesting parallel to the anti-fungi properties of blue vitriol. Though, in a twist it is effective as a moss killer just as how blue vitriol is effective against fungus. May I also add that moss and fungus are both large source categories in the area of poisoncrafting."

"Are you sure you really don't want to study under Giea? I detect potential in you, as well as the requisite passion.

"Perhaps later on, for I wish to throw myself wholely into one discipline, it is only fair to you and to the art."

"Alright, but she's growing an interest in you; I will not hide the fact from you that word have been abuzz on the isle about my new, supremely diligent student apprentice."

"Ahem," Eridanus blushed, plowing on. "Fnally, white vitriol can be created through spirits of zinc, or ores of zinc, and oil of vitriol. Like the other forms of colored vitriol, it can be found in zinc mines as a toxic byproduct. Like the others as well, one can attempt to extract it from a rich sulfur ore though the result is uncertain for one may never know what color of vitriol one may receive for it depends on the composition of metals within the ore. Medicinally speaking, white vitriol works as both an emetic and astringent (to treat afflictions like sore throat or uncontrollable bowel eruption). If I may say, the Alum we used in our previous session is an astringent too."

"Well I was just summarizing earlier; I will miss information out as there are simply too many uses for every compound. What I say in class is an introduction, that is why self-study of texts is so important, as you realized today."

"Variations of white vitriol can be used as effective nutritional feed for certain types of plants, while acting as moss killers like green vitriol as well. Like all colored vitirol, it is generally included by dye-makers, and like some Corrosionem it is involved in the preservation phase in leatherworking. Now, vitriol can be extracted from mine drainage waters or sulfur-rich natural springs in the wild by simply letting them evaporate, but dropping either pebbles or wires and keeping it there overnight. The appropriate crystals will begin to crystalize on your chosen extraction material, though the types of vitriol crystallized will depend on the mineral composition of the source. "

Lym clapped her hands at the end of this superior display of diligence and memory, adding, "These three are not the only colored vitriol, of course. I am sure that you have learned of cyprus vitriol last session, but these three are sufficient as the foundational three. Some of the more complex, colored vitriols have been developed by our very own philterers in Mura. Search the library for mentions of Ankherian Vitriol - it's a wonderful piece of art mixing complex philtering techniques, unlikely reagents and even a touch of magic."

Thus, with the initial testing out of the way, the lesson began proper.

"Take out your journal and any necessary equipment, we have reached the stage where I should not holding your hand as we go along. Independence is a key attribute for successful philterers."

"Independence is a key attribute for most disciplines, ma'am, except maybe for slaves."

"Learning to make witty comments eh, Eridanus?" Lym chuckled softly. She was happier than she revealed, for getting her student to feel more comfortable might perhaps allow her access to the mysteries behind his past. Maybe with that she could actually help him. Although it was about a season ago when they first met, she could remember the lifeless and fidgety look in the vantha's eyes. Now, through passion and study he was much more energetic and lively, and it pleased her to see this development within him. Maybe it was a sort of professional rivalry with her poisoncrafting friend, but she intended to send him to Giea as a proper, whole person. One that fit her descriptions of him while talking about him and her work to Giea, and not the one present last season ago.

Time and dedication will make it pass, she thought.

"And so we shall begin on arguably the most important substance of all, the Oil of Vitriol," The konti began lecturing.

The oil of vitriol is held in great esteem by philterers because of the massive amount of utility that it has. Compounds related to the oil of vitriol, whether component or product, are greatly useful in their own right, and the oil of vitriol itself is useful in other applications outside of philtering, as well as in philtering itself as a crucial intermediary reagent. High purity grade oil of vitriol acts as a powerful leech on water in treated compounds, leading some to nickname it the "Curse from Ekytol", as a reference to the lethal dehydrating effects of the desert environment. Reactions with various other compounds can also release plenty of heat, though the kontis have not figured out a method to harness this energy yet except as packets of brief and temporary hand-warming during winter. As a powerful and flexible Corrosionem, the oil of vitriol can effectively combine with many other substances, which is the reason behind its fame as a reagent chock full of utiltiy. Pure oil of vitriol is generally not found naturally in great enough quantities and so large quantities are often created by philterers for various other markets. A weak form of it may be found in certain areas of the Unforgiving in Kalea where wild djed is present, though the reliability of such found reagents are in question due to the presence of wild djed within the compound. Toxic water in mines rich in sulfur may also contain trace quantities of the oil of vitriol if exposed to the air if brought outside of the stuffy confines of the mines, but most of the mine drainage exists in various colored forms of vitriol.

"In this practical session, we shall synthesize oil of vitriol with simple compounds. This is one of the basic grade method of philtering, and of course more complex methods to produce higher grade reagents exist. It is your job to research and understand them if it draws your interest. I will no longer be guiding your hand and will instead provide general instructions, and you will execute them with your prior knowledge as well as anything new you learned on your own. Ask me questions only if you are really, really sure you do not know how to proceed. Fear not that you will combust this laboratory and turn us in little balls of flames; I will immediately stop you should you venture into dangerous territory, so ease your mind on that aspect. Any questions before we start? No? Alright, let us proceed."

The most basic form to produce oil of vitriol involves sulfur and saltpeter. With Lym providing a general guideline on their next steps, the vantha rubbed his hands, eager to succeed and impress his mentor in his first semi-independent philtering reaction.

First, he calculated the relative ratio of sulfur powder to saltpeter as given by the konti. Using the provided measuring scale, he balanced the mixture of sulfur to saltpeter appropriately by the use of relative comparison substances, then heaped the whole bunch into a receiver flask, shaking it a few times to distribute the mixture more evenly. Next, he measured three times the weight of the mixture and placed that amount of water into a cone flask. He also liberally wet the insides of the alembic, especially the glass bulb component, such that droplets of water coated the insides of the glass apparatus. Securing the receiver flask by its bottleneck with the clamp of a retort stand, he placed several weights as well so that the cone flask can be of comparable height to the suspended receiver flask. After that, he secured the alembic, with the help of resin stopgaps to the necessary components, and sealed the receiver flask to create an entire closed system.

Using one of the candles in the workshop to light up the directed heater, the student pushed the brass pot beneath the receiver flask, completing the experimental set up. Taking out his leather gloves to wipe the sweat off his forehead - partly due to the heat and stuffiness, and partly due to this anxiety - he began to note down the observations that proceeded within the experimental set up. Firstly, the mixture of powder began to burn, and he could literally see fire within the flask itself as the substance combusted. Fumes of brown began to appear from the burning substance, and though he could not smell it due to the closed system, he could imagine smelling an acrid, pungent odour. Unlike previous distillation procedures, the gas here was colored and he could properly observe the proceedings.

The brown fumes then rose as encouraged by the heat, and lazily drifted through the connected glass tube in the receiving exit and into the next, water-filled cone flask. The brown air lingered in the glass bulb, still too hot to settle, but the activity of the gas began die down as time passed, no longer zipping about with zest but lazily lounging around the glass bulb of the alembic. Soon, the fire in the receiver flask died down and the powders were all consumed by the flames, with only some soot and black substances as a residual. More brown fumes were created, heading to the glass bulb. After a while, the entire glass bulb was now brown, and no more action was taking place in the receiver flask.

Eridanus took this moment to slip on his leather gloves momentarily to push the directed heater out of the way and to extinguish the flames within it by pouring water into the central hole.

As the gas and the alembic itself began to cool down, the brown fumes began to disappear gradually. Though this is what appeared to happen if one were to rely entirely on one's eyes, Eridanus knew that it could not disappear due to the closed system. Instead, what really happened was that the brown air began to turn colorless like the normal air around. Through the bending of the air due to some of the remaining heat, he could see some of the air already settling down to the bottom of the glass bulb, and after several more moments the first drip of liquid began from the glass bulb.

The novice philterer grinned.

There was a serene moment of silence as both teacher and student quietly observed the happenings, and when all of the brown fumes have dissipated and there was no longer any more dripping from the glass bulb to the water below, she clapped, followed by the vantha as well.

"Congratulations, Eridanus. I am really quite proud of your independence," She said. Gesturing for him to do the apparent back-end work, he then separated, cleaned and wiped the various glassware, storing all but the cone flask that held the dilute oil of vitriol within. The liquid was also colorless like water, as with all strong Corrosionem.

"Before you seal it once again, take a whiff and tell me what you smell."

"Eww. Sulfur," Eridanus cringed. "Acrid and pungent, like I expected."

As commanded by his mentor, he then sealed the cone flask with a resin stopgap, for apparently she needed some basic grade oil of vitriol for one of her more advanced experiments. He had offered to help, but she declined, stating that at this level he would only be a hindrance as her next experiment was a very time-based one where she could not waste time teaching him. Besides, he had already helped her in a way by helping to make the oil of vitriol so that she would not have to make it herself.

Before he left, however, she stopped him and passed him several yellow envelopes, telling him with a wry smile that he might be interested in them. As he left the workshop, he slipped out the first note, which was already yellowing with age, his hands holding it carefully due to brittleness. His eyes widened with surprise when he saw the first line.

[Sender: Mura, Konti Isle
Recipient: University of Zeltiva, Zeltiva]
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)