Solo The Art of Seduction (Pt 2)

In which Rosela refines the venerable art of conversation.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Art of Seduction (Pt 2)

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Timestamp: 10th of Fall

Rosela had nearly forgotten about the Art of Seduction book. She had almost the whole season before she had to return it, unless the library notified her that someone else wanted it. Picking it up and running a finger over the embossed flower, she frowned at the thought of someone else in the city trying to learn seduction. It’s not that she didn’t like other women; just that she didn’t like competition. The thought of another woman stealing her prey made her heart seethe with jealousy.

Sitting down at her table slowly, in an effort to practice masking her emotion, she slipped open the book with a finger. Skipping through the first few chapters, she came to where she had left off – The Opening Line.

This chapter was less engrossing as the previous, likely due to the face that starting a conversation was likely to be dull, and something she’d never been good at to begin with. There were several genres of opening lines, and a master seductress could read which would be most successful as easily as reading a menu. Humorous prods, breezy observations, bold challenges, innocent questions, requests for help, simple greetings, etc. The opening line often depended on the success and underlying tone of the Look. Genres could cross and mix, but the aim was always to create an opening for Conversation. While a Look could be used and the rest of the seduction process abandoned thereafter, an Opening Line that didn’t then lead to Conversation could result in embarrassment and frustration. The budding seductress needed a plan for escaping failed opening lines without open anger, as such situations were an unfortunate, but inevitable, part of the learning process.

Rosela dropped the book at the end of the section and crossed her arms anxiously. So she was inevitably going to embarrass herself doing this? Was it worth it? How does one prepare for that sort of thing? Instead of picking up the book again, she stood abruptly and began pacing. She imagined herself in a bar, Look and Opening Line skipped, clutching a drink in the center of a group of sniggering people. They were all Eypharian women, she realized, as she stopped pacing to analyze the thought. Now where did that come from?

Deciding not to dwell on the thought, she looked down at the open book disdainfully.

Come here often?

You look a bit lonely. Mind if I join you?

How about you buy me a drink and we go from there?

She forced herself to envision more positive scenarios, with a series of strong, attentive, Akalak men. It cheered her immensely.

It was too late to just give up. She’d just have to not fail then.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:41 pm

She breezed through the rest of the chapter, trying to absorb it all but continually distracted by the thought of a humiliatingly public failure. The next was Conversation.

While the Look and Opening Line were considered the easy, fun pieces to steps, the Conversation was the bread and butter of the seductress. It was the gateway to the oncoming Intimacies and usually what required the most amount of time.

Topics of conversation were as varied as the men you spoke to. It wasn’t a wasted effort to stay up on current events in the area, and even surrounding areas if you may come across an immigrant. Looking at context clues, such as clothing, current location, and point of interest was the best way to gauge what topics would draw attention.

Raking a hand through her hair, Rosela sat back and took a break. As always, the book contained much common sense that was admittedly helpful to see written objectively. She’d known as soon as she started the chapter that she wouldn’t like it. She didn’t like talking to people, period, unless she needed something from them. Getting something out of them, after they had already started talking, now there was the challenge. It was one thing to flirt with a shopkeeper in hopes of getting a discount, and another to spend time finingd out what a man had, then persuading him to give it to her.

Well, Rosela thought, rolling her shoulders as she picked the book back up, that’s what this book was here to teach her.

In the event that another woman, namely, one already attached, presented herself, it was best to not compete unless snaring this target was of the utmost importance. ‘Homewreckers’ were ill guests in any society, and a label best avoided. Instead, the master seductress immediately desexualized herself and became a non-threatening observer, perhaps even a friend to the new woman. Abandoning the target immediately at the sign of the other woman was never an option, unless violence was threatened. A true lady didn’t dirty her hands with a petty fight.

It was necessary to bear in mind what one’s end goal was: immediately to intimacies, casual contact to be followed up on later, or, for the less scrupulous, asking of a favor. Dropping subtle hints through the conversation was a vital aspect to directing the conversation to the required end. The end result often goes over best if the target imagines it was their idea.

Rosela frowned deeply and closed the book at the end of the chapter. Just why was it so unscrupulous to ask for favors? In Ahnatep, she’d heard of clubs where wealthy, lonely men could pay for the company of a young woman. Granted, it was mostly sexual, but not always. The point was that there were men in the world who would gladly pay to be doted upon by a beautiful woman, as though they were loved. When the woman was good enough, she’d be showered in gifts, and sometimes, though not often in high society, marriage. In such situations, the man may give her the finest gift of all – dying quickly to leave her well off. If Rosela herself had been born to poorer parents, a thought that horrified her, such a situation may have well been her fate.

Head in a hand, she looked out the window. It was lovely weather though a bit chilly, a stark contrast to last time she’d embarked on her seductive endeavor. Sitting inside and reading about conversation was all well and good from an academic standpoint, but she needed to be in action to truly learn anything.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Knirin Gardens seemed like a good idea for such a romantic day. Leaving the book at home, she dressed down to blend in. She didn’t want to try out seductive conversations yet, just to see it done. The book could only show her so much without re-enacting actual conversations. If she was going for seduction, it was hard to get more lovey-dovey than the gardens, right? There had to be someone in there capitalizing on it.

A few minutes in, and she came across such a couple cuddling on a bench. An Akalak and a very pregnant Konti, she with the gold Nakivak bracelet. The Akalak had one hand on her belly and whispering nervous, sweet nothings. Rosela ignored them on her first pass, then doubled back to behind the tall bushed behind them. From there, she pretended to be fascinated with the wilting flowers as she eavesdropped.

“-Glassbeaks. He’ll be so strong.”

“How do you know he’s not a she?” A quiet titter.

“A father knows these things. You’ve made me…so happy.” The distinct smacking sound of a kiss.

“Oh you…”

Rosela rolled her eyes and abandoned her post. She should have known better than too try a couple that was already together. She wasn’t sure it was technically seduction when he was already yours. She silently hoped everyone happily committed didn’t talk like that.

Moving along in the garden, she saw a trio of men snacking on fruit while standing about awkwardly. They were all young, too young for Rosela, so she didn’t feel any jealousy when they didn’t notice her. In fact, they all appeared to be taking furtive glances at a human woman obliviously reading a book nearby.

“Go on…”

“No, just leave it.”

“She’ll be totally into you, just do it…”

One of the young men, violet face turning a shade more red, shined an apple with his shirt and walked over to the studious woman.

“Hey, we uh, had an extra apple-”

“No thank you.” Her answer was short, though not explicitly unkind, and she didn’t look up as she turned a page.

The young man seemed at a loss as he stammered and looked back at his friends. They shrugged helplessly.

“Oh, ok. It’s just getting around lunch time and I figured-“

“No. Thank you. Please leave me alone. I have a lot to finish here.” The refusal was bordering on impatient this time.

“Ok…” He wandered back to the group, shoulders slumped and apple in hand. The trio patted him on the back before quickly grabbing their bags and migrating away from the embarrassing scene.

Rosela stayed behind the bush and gave the woman a lingering look before moving away herself.

So that was getting shot down. She’d never been shot down herself, of course, but it was unnerving to see it happen. Someday, she’d probably have to do it herself. The thought wasn't as comforting as she wanted to think, and immediately resolved to do it gentler than what she'd just seen. Besides, it was just an apple; who turned down free apples? Take the apple, make nice for a few minutes, then make an excuse to leave. What was so hard about that?

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm

After a long lunch, she’d decided to spend her evening in a bar, to increase her chances of not getting shot down. Despite her immediate dismissal of the situation, she’d dwelled on the image of the dejected young man, imagining herself with that apple. The thought was ridiculous, since who in their right mind would turn down an apple from her? The bar she'd chosen, The White Crane, was filled with men, almost all Akalak. She felt dozens of eyes on her as soon as she walked in, and it soothed away the insecurities.

“Hey baby, you need a drink?”

“Come on over and relax. Let’s you and me chat for a while.”

“Let me get you something. Top shelf, whatever you want.”

Smiling softly, Rosela sipped her free drink as she faded back into the crowd, away from the faceless Akalak who’d bought it for her. As pleasant as it was, it was going all wrong. If she kept getting free drinks, how was she supposed to try out her pickup lines?

Draining most of her drink, she could see a couple guys around glancing her way and gearing up. She needed to find one she could get the first strike on… As if an answer to her prayers, she spotted a shy human man down the bar, not saying anything, just sitting pleasantly with a drink.

She stared openly until he felt her eyes and he looked up in surprise. Her Look was direct and interested, though his was more surprised and fearful. She slid down the bar to stand next to him.

Something tentative, but not too shy… “Hey there.” Not her best, but it got the job done.

He smiled shyly back, still not turning to face her wholly. “Hey.”

“You seem a little lonely.”

He huffed a laugh and swallowed his drink nervously. “I don’t know.”

Context clues, context clues… He glanced around nervously and Rosela openly followed his gaze to either side of them. “Are you waiting for someone?”

“No, I uh, I’m just hanging out. Listening to the music and whatever.”

Tilting her head, she looked up at the young Akalak guitarist strumming tunelessly on the low stage. He seemed to be the only one in the bar paying any attention to the song and Rosela decided to bluff. “Mmm, can’t say I’m a fan, but maybe you just have to come here a lot to appreciate it.” She took a small sip of her drink and leaned over, trying playfully to catch his eye. “Do you come here a lot?”

“Um, yea, I don’t know.” He gulped his drink, glancing again up at the guitarist.

Context clues… “Do you think he’s very talented?”

“Oh yea!” It was the most animated response yet and he looked at her fully for the first time. Their eyes met and he blushed and immediately looked away, looking once again at the stage. “Yes, I’ve heard him play other things, he is very…talented.” He was blushing furiously at this point and refused to look at her.

Running on a hunch, Rosela relaxed her stance and lifted a sardonic eyebrow. “Have you ever talked to him? Told him how talented you think he is?”

He made a noise somewhere between a sputter and a self-denigrating laugh. “Me? No, I…I, I couldn’t.”

Giving up the fight, Rosela patted him on the back. “Go ahead, honey. Tell him sometime.” Downing her drink, she set it on the bar and turned away, leaving him to look quickly between her and the guitarist.

In a city of men, leave it to her to find the gay one. However, now that she was drinkless and unattached, she saw a leering, very clearly straight, Akalak man making his way to her.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Tilting her hips invitingly, she leaned backwards against the bar, two elbows up on it. The Look was successful but unrefined, as he broadcasted clearly that he was interested in assets south of her face, and she looked back with sly, almost guarded interest. No sense in giving it up easily.

Behind him, a group of young, similarly built Akalaks were watching his approach with a mix of apprehension and humor. With a thought back to the Knirin Gardens, Rosela wondered if they put him up to it, or if it was some kind of bet. In the end, she supposed it didn’t matter; he wasn’t getting that far anyway.

“Hey. I, uh, can’t help but notice you don’t have a drink.” He rubbed the stubble on his chin as he smirked down at her.

While Rosela appreciated confidence, she felt like being in a challenging mood. Crossing one pair of arms, she smirked up at him. ”How observant of you. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about leaving soon.”

“So soon? We haven’t even had a chance to talk.” He returned the smirk, calling her bluff, and Rosela’s respect rose minutely.

”Talk? I’m afraid I’m feeling a bit dry for talk.”

“How about I fix that. Bartender, hey!” He lazily flagged down the bartender with a flick of his hand, and a matronly woman with a full bosom and graying hair bustled over. “Some wine for the lady. Your best.” He nodded at Rosela with an enormous amount of smugness. Rosela and the bartender shared an almost imperceptible look, neither side impressed.

“We got a couple bottles in tonight. Topaz, Ruby, and Blood. 8, 12, and 20 gold mizas, respectably.” Both she and Rosela stared at him, though Rosela’s challenge was more obvious.

”Bluevein Blood, I’m not sure I’ve ever had that one!”

The bartender’s acting was impeccable as she looked excitedly at Rosela. “It’s extremely popular, you’d love it. Bit of licorice, figs, very cedar-y.”

Her new Akalak companion was digging anxiously in his money pouch when Rosela turned back to him. He looked up abruptly as she put a hand on his arm. ”I’d just love to try that one.” Her eyes lingered on his just a bit longer than necessary and she silently rejoiced to see the defeat there. Behind him, his friends were frozen, watching the exchange with wide eyes.

“Uh…ok.” He tried to turn his sigh into a nonchalant laugh as he pulled a handful of mizas out of his pouch. With a nearly hidden shudder, he laid them on the counter.

”Aren’t you the sweetest!” Reaching up on tip toe, she gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

The action seemed to inflate him, and he puffed his chest out as he shrugged. “I make good mizas, honey, don’t even think about it.”

“Thank you sir,” the bartender interjected smoothly, presenting the bottle with a flourish. “Bluevein Blood. Enjoy.”

Rosela picked up the bottle by the neck and steered him around, back towards his friends. “I think your friends might be a little jealous! Let’s share.” Steering him through the crowd, she wrapped two hands around his arm and pulled him close. His friends were giving him poorly disguised looks of shock and pride.

Once at the table, introductions were made, and she kept her legs tucked next to his for the remainder of the night.

Four bottles later, she was outside the front door, watching her companion and his buddies struggle to stay upright as they worked their way down the street, appearing to have forgotten all about her. A full night on the town and she hadn’t had to shell out a single miza. Granted, there was a small stumble in her step as she made her way back up the winding roads towards her own home, but Riverfall could still learn a thing or two from Ahnatep about partying.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on November 4th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Now that she was out into the evening air, and away from the crush of people and alcohol, she felt a deep sadness as she thought of partying in Ahnatep. Her entire seduction endeavor would have been more difficult there, with a more equal number of men to women. Wine burning in her gut, she stumbled once again on the cobblestones and paused to take off her sandals. Would her night have been just as successful, had she been in Eyktol?

The thought was disheartening, and she stopped to lean morosely on a pole. Why was she doing all this? She knew she had a reason once, but the alcohol seemed to have fuzzed over that part of her brain. The cool stone on her feet was calming, and she started off again.

It seemed like a lifetime ago that she was in Ahnatep, meeting her husband for the first time. She hadn’t needed to seduce him then, he was just head over heels for her by default. She could almost see his face, if she thought about it. His actions came more to mind now, the deep bow and practiced motion of offering his hand to her, and though she knew she was being drunk and silly, she bowed in return, in the middle of the empty street. Two hands bowed backwards, to ceremoniously show she’d come unarmed, two hands clasped against her knees, to show respect, and two hands open forward, to take his hands.

She mimed taking his hands, but it wasn’t her ex-husband anymore, it was a nameless, faceless, masculine entity. She wasn’t even sure if he was Eypharian, but she danced with her nameless suitor up the street, alone and unseen. This was true seduction, the Eypharian way. No words needed to be said, no useless giggles and trappings, just the practiced arcs and turns. As much as she hated it, she knew this world, and it had been ingrained into her mind like the texture of sand and the swipe of the makeup brush.

Mid-turn, she stopped abruptly, realizing she was in front of her house. Her tiny cottage, with the dirty windows and creaky door. She wasn’t in Ahnatep anymore. She was in Riverfall, where the men came easier, but the mizas didn’t. Oh well. The men would be the mizas then. She frowned, reaching slowly for the doorknob. No, the men would bring the mizas. That was it. That’s what she was doing.

The next morning came too soon, and Rosela heaved herself out of bed, trying to recall actually getting in it. She remembered the White Crane, wine, and dancing idiotically in the streets. What had she been thinking?

Breakfast was light, but she ate it slowly, trying to retrace her thoughts of the previous night. She remembered feeling dramatic as she found her front door, as though she’d had a revelation. The thoughts seemed to be long gone however, and she gave it up.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jackalope on December 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Rosela

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Observation +2 Next Step: The Opening Line
Seduction +4 Conversation: Vital To Successful Seduction
Watching an Utter Failure
A Night Out For Free
Rembering Home

Witty Remark Here
Good learning thread. Hopefully you can take those lore and continue to expand on them! I think she's got a good foundation to expand her conquest of the men of Riverfall. ;) If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

[/color]
Last edited by Jackalope on March 26th, 2013, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Short changed her on seduction XP
Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)