Completed [Sanctuary] Building a Better Birdhouse (Dust)

Dust proves that sometimes a bird brain is just what is needed.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Sanctuary] Building a Better Birdhouse (Dust)

Postby Vanator on November 5th, 2012, 3:29 am

Timestamp: 56th Day of Fall, 512 AV

Vanator dragged more boards around the patient quarters to the space between it and the chicken house, dropping them with a clatter on top of the wood left over from the recently built coup. The wood would be used to construct Sanctuary's bird mews and flight area, one of his sister's priorities in the remodeling.

The Drykas was not a builder, at least in the sense of constructing buildings. The people of the horse clans didn't build anything that could not fit into a wagon. The entire city of Endrykas was designed to be portable, picked up and moved by an army of seme-pulled wagons. Vanator himself had to get used to living inside tunnels and buildings after a lifetime dwelling in the canvas, hide and fabric tents of the pavilions. Nevertheless, Van wanted to help in the construction. If healers and hebalists and horse trainers could build, then certainly Vanator could as well.

Van wiped his forehead with his sleeve, the work, and bright sun, bringing sweat to his brow even in the cool autumn air. He untucked his shirt, undoing the buttons to let it hang open, allowing the brisk breeze to evaporate the sweat on his chest. Then Van picked up several boards, balanced them on his shoulder and carried them to the area marked for the mews. Dropping them again, he kicked them out across the dirt, one at a time, roughing out a square where the building would set. Vanator stepped back, brushing strands of dark blond locks from his face, then rested his hand on his hips. Reaching into his pocket, the Drykas pulled an apple, taking a bite before shoving it back into his pocket.

Moving back to the woodpile, Van began to separate the boards, humming a tune as he chewed up the juicey apple bite. Once he had it swallowed, the Drykas began to sing. It was a song he had heard Pygmy sing often in the taverns of Endrykas, though he sung the lyrics in his native Pavi. He was not a talented singer, by any means, but there was not anyone on that side of the compound to judge.
Last edited by Vanator on December 3rd, 2012, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dust on November 5th, 2012, 11:13 am

The white raven had eschewed company for the glory of the air this afternoon, as she was wont to do at some point or another each day; after all, wings existed to be used. Even though she had arrived in Riverfall some time ago now, she still thrilled at being able to go different places, to land and shift and explore; sea travel had been limiting in that way, with few places to set foot besides the ship. Granted, for all her appreciation of the ability, she didn't actually go that many different places -- but she liked being able to.

Dust soared on the air over the cliffs now, well above their rocky edges, up where the winds blew through unimpeded by stone or forest. She had a good view into the clifftop fortress from her present position, and out of whimsy turned to regard it more closely. The fortress seemed to be very much a work in progress, even to her inexperienced eyes. She knew raw materials for what they were, set out in strategic locations according to a plan she had no inkling of, and could guess at the purposes of some buildings. The kennels, for example -- hard to mistake a structure full of dogs for what it truly was.

What the man with the blond hair was making, on the other hand, was in far too early a stage of construction for the Kelvic to make more than the wildest of guesses. Which she did, in the privacy of her own mind, even though he had nothing more than boards sketching an outline on the ground. And an apple -- she saw that apple! But it was the singing which really hooked Dust's attention, snatches of words carried aloft by the breeze, the half-familiar cadence of a language she had heard before and even knew a few words of.

Intrigued, she dropped down from her place aloft, gliding down to land between the woodpile and whatever-it-was he was going to build. The white raven tipped her head, peering at the singer with one bright blue eye -- then abruptly shifted, leaving an equally white-haired young woman crouched on the ground. She slid down to a true sitting position, knees raised and arms wrapped around them, heedless of the dust she sat in and the fact that she was very probably right where he needed to walk through. "What're you singing? That's in Pavi, isn't it?" Dust asked, though she reflexively posed the question itself in Common. It was her native language, for one -- and 'everyone' knew Common besides; that's what made it Common!
Dust
Player

Words: 160562
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Vanator on November 5th, 2012, 8:37 pm

There was a few hiccups in Vanator's serenade, a line of lyrics he could not quite remember for sure. It made him a bit sad that he would forget one of Pygmy's songs, but he picked up again where he could remember and pulled his spirits back up with it. As he shuffled through the wood, hefting piece by piece as he separated them into different piles by size, the Drykas felt an invigoration he had not known in ages. The ritual induction into reimancy that Kavala had conducted the night before still left the echo of a hot stream through his system. It was like new life.

The arrival of the ivory raven was a surprise at first, such a bird Vanator had never seen in the grasslands, at least not that color, it was more like the sea birds around Riverfall that all seemed to have white in their plumage. But the Drykas was half expecting to see this curious creature, for his sister had been rather excited to explain she had met the Kelvic raven on the beach. Others too, around the Sanctuary, and seen her. A smile crossed his face as one blue-eye cocked up at him. Van's expectation was met when the familiar shimmer of a myriad of pinpoints light surrounded the white raven, revealing the woman-shape as they faded away. Anticipated or not, there was still something magical for Vanator when he watched a Kelvic switch.

He nodded in greeting as the girl shifted to a more comfortable position, sitting naked in the dust. It had taken a while for Vanator to adjust to the sudden appearance of nude people when dealing with Kelvics. But Pygmy, and Mao, and now Rhy and his own children had him accustomed to the practice. So he made no fuss over her appearance, unashamed to look at her, for the Kelvic herself certainly bore no modesty. Dust, Kavala had called her, shared the same eyes and coloring as her natural animal form, though she was a bit more petite than he would have imagined for the largish, heavy-beaked raven.

The Kelvic's question evoked a small laugh and a big smile from the Drykas. He replied in Common, his accent identical to his sister's. "It was a song a friend of mine used to sing. And yes, it is Pavi, I am Drykas." Vanator declared with some pride. He dropped the plank in his hands onto a growing pile, then took a few steps closer to the woman. "I am Vanator Denusk, and you must be Dust, welcome." He did not initiate any gesture of greeting, unsure of the customs she practiced. Instead, he kept his hands on his hips, bowing his head slightly and maintaining his casual smile. "My sister told me about you, seems my little nephew has taken a shine to you as well."

Van took the small apple from his pocket, holding it out to Dust, until he realized it was the one he had bitten out of. Quickly, he dug into his pocket again, revealing a second apple, and extended that one towards the Kelvic, his smile taking a lopsided turn.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dust on November 6th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Dust grinned up at the man as he laughed, sharing in the amusement even if she wasn't quite sure what about her question invited it. It was a serious question! But laughter made for a good greeting -- and truth be told, she didn't much mind being either laughed with or laughed at. "Good! You can teach me more words," the Kelvic declared cheerily, clearly eager at the prospect -- and not for a moment questioning whether he might want to.

Though it shortly became just as clear that she didn't intend to demand lessons right now. Dust scrambled to her feet as he held out first one apple, then another, accepting the one he seemed to think more appropriate to give her. She didn't mind either way, and gave him a quick bright grin. "I am Dust!" she affirmed. The absence of a handshake or other gesture passed without remark, and in fact entirely without notice, as did any consideration that the human might mind her deficit of clothing.

"It's nice to meet you. I like Tasival and Kavala. And Vanator too," she professed before biting into the apple, dry humor manifesting in a moment's crooked smile as she declared that on the basis of a song, a friendly introduction, and a gifted apple. It wasn't a final opinion, but it'd do for a first impression.

She chewed and swallowed the bite of crisp fruit before nodding towards the square shape he'd earlier approximated with planks. "You're building something?" Not waiting for a reply, she padded over to the marked-out space, walking partway around the square. Dust stepped over the outline into the middle, turning around to tentatively nudge one of the timbers with her foot. She took another bite of her apple, deciding the wood was entirely uninteresting, and peered through the mesh into the chicken enclosure. "More room for chickens?" It was a fair guess, if a completely uneducated one -- she had no real idea what the people here might or might not desire to build.
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Vanator on November 7th, 2012, 1:37 pm

In the passing of just a chime, Van had decided he liked Dust as well. The Kelvic was without guile, displaying a seemingly innocent curiosity and exuding a cheerfulness that he could only describe as effervescent. It was disarming, and the Drykas could not suppress the grin that had remained since her sudden appearance.

Taking another bite of his apple and wiping away a stray drop of its juice from his chin with the back of his hand, Van walked over to the rough layout where Dust stood. He looked over at the chicken house. "Well, we are building something like that, but for different kinds of birds. This one will have individual spaces for each of them, a bit more cozy I suppose." Vanator was not sure yet exactly the design they would use. He glanced down at Dust, one eyebrow cocked . "Tell you what. I think you, more than anyone, would know what would make an bird comfortable. I will help you with your Pavi, if you help me with some ideas for the bird mews." She was pretty, in a sweet way, with a head of shortish pale hair that reminded him of the fluffed feathers of an avian after bathing. The man's eyes shifted down and then away. The fact that she remained naked was beginning to be a bit distracting, and he wondered if the cool fall breeze made her feel cold. "Are you cold...would you, uh, like my shirt?" The Drykas took off his shirt and offered it to the Kelvic. Whether the Kelvic accepted it or not, Vanator took his turn at making an inquiry.

Where have you come from, Dust?
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dust on November 8th, 2012, 3:06 pm

She crunched through more of her apple as Vanator walked over and explained the plan. Or as much of a plan as he had for the building, anyway. Dust looked between the marked-out space and the completed chicken run, clearly thinking about what he described -- and what instruction she might provide in the design process, a slow crease bisecting her brow as she considered that. Maybe he had a point. "What kind of birds will there be? I know what makes ravens comfortable." Other birds might or might not agree -- chickens, for example, probably not at all.

It was a little cool without her feathers, though Dust hadn't been still long enough to really have the chill sink in. His remark did bring her attention to it, though, distracting the Kelvic from her musings on the building. "Oh! Yes, I guess it is kind of chilly. Feathers are much better for this weather," she informed him, accepting the proffered shirt with a quick smile. "Thanks," Dust chirped, sliding the garment on over her head. It hung rather tent-like on her far slighter frame, not quite reaching to her knees.

She paused at his question, pinning the half-eaten apple between her fingertips and rolling it back and forth -- so much as she could without getting her fingers more sticky, at least. That was not so nice. Dust had been around people enough to know the question could be taken at least two ways, and she wasn't sure which he meant to ask. "Well... do you mean just now? 'Cause I only just came from down the beach." The Kelvic turned and looked in that direction, though Sanctuary's walls now impeded her actual line of sight. "Or do you mean where I'm from before, or where I was born?" she continued, turning back to Van with raised brows, waiting for his clarification. Dust didn't mind talking about any of them, she just didn't want to answer the wrong question. She sometimes got frustrated when people did that to her.
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Vanator on November 9th, 2012, 1:54 am

"Well, birds like a raven would be like what would live here. Maybe some raptors. larger birds, but not like chickens."
Vanator glanced at Dust. He supposed that, to a raven, there was quite a difference between a raven and a falcon and a chicken. One of the refreshing things about being around a Kelvic was that they compelled him to see things from a different perspective. "Perhaps the mews should have a variety of different kinds of spaces, more tailored to the specific breeds. Thanks Dust!"

His brown shirt served to cover Dust's feminine form, if a bit ill-fitting. Now, maybe she would be more comfortable, and he would be able to look at her. Vanator munched at his apple, finishing the circuit around the core before tossing it aside, glancing back to her when the Kelvic raven expressed her confusion over his question. Van gave an apologetic smile. Kelvics were also wonderfully literal.

"I'm sorry, I mean, where did you live before you came to Riverfall?"

Though he was still attentive to his guest, Vanator moved around the work area, his eyes spotting four posts scattered around the yard. They would be the corner posts. He also found the shovel and mattock, a square and a marked length of twine, tools he would need to dig the post holes. During the course of it all, Van's gaze returned from time to time to the blonde raven-girl, not wanting her to feel ignored. He carried the items back to the building plot and laid them out. Finally, Vanator grabbed a waterskin hanging from a nail on the chicken house, offering it to Dust, hoping he could convince her to stay awhile.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dust on November 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Dust looked over at Van with a slightly bemused air and a chipper smile. "You're welcome!" she replied, though the Kelvic wasn't sure how she was much help at all. Maybe he'd have other questions as he progressed with the design or building or whatever. She watched him go about his work with an interested and curious air, completely mystified at the process of constructing a building. The Kelvic remained in place and idly crunched on her own apple all the while, gradually whittling the flesh down to green-white core and scraps of red peel at top and bottom.

Where did you live before he asked, as if that was a simple question with a simple answer. Dust mused over the question for a little while, while he collected his tools and assembled them where he needed them. He offered her the waterskin, and Dust took it with another smile and thanks. Distracted, she spent another moment considering the two things in her hands, the marked-out plot she was still standing in -- albeit at the edge -- and the chicken house she stood beside. Deciding she'd eaten enough, she tossed her own apple core aside, without particular consideration for where it landed, then held the waterskin in her teeth and clambered up onto the chicken house. Dust shifted around until she could sit facing Van, feet hanging over the side of the roof, and grinned down at him once she had the waterskin back in her hands. Now they could talk without her being in the way of whatever he was getting ready to do.

Clearly, she didn't intend to wander off anywhere just yet.

"Well, I got here on a ship. I guess you could say I lived there, since there sure wasn't anywhere else to go!" Dust wrinkled her nose in distaste at the recollection. "That part wasn't too fun. I mean, I could fly out anywhere and it all looked the same, and there was nowhere to land unless we were close to shore. But it was neat. I'd never been on a ship before." She paused and uncorked the waterskin, taking a quick drink. "Before that I was in Ahnatep. It gets really hot in the summer; I don't know how anyone stands it if they can't fly or swim. I had fun chasing the lizards in the sand, though."

She paused in her story, and tipped her head, peering down at the plot. "I don't know anything about buildings," the Kelvic admitted, forthright and unabashed about her ignorance in the matter. "Except going in them. What do you do to make one?"
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Vanator on November 12th, 2012, 1:08 pm

The Drykas watched in amusement as Dust climped his waterskin between her teeth and climbed to the roof of the chicken house. He looked up at her, squinting in the sunlight, her lean legs swung slightly, dangling over the edge of the small structure. Vanator was pleased he would have some company. He began to survey mentally how to start, knowing he needed to get the locations for the corner posts measured right and squared. But when the Kelvic mentioned arriving on a ship, the man's curious gaze lifted again to the attractive raven-woman, a twinkle of interest in his eye.

"You have been on a ship? What an incredible journey that must have been!" Vanator had first seen the ocean six years earlier, on Cyphrus' east coast. There, he saw one of the wooden sailing vessels. He remember marveling at how small it seemed against the endless expanse of blue-green water, how sleek it looked as it rode the surface, propelled by nothing more than Zulrav's breath. He met some of the sailors who had brought a little boat to the beach, a brother and sister with amazing tales. This girl, who had seen so few winters, had visited places the Drykas had only dreamed about. Though Kelvics were not the best storytellers, he hoped there would be more opportunities to hear tales of Dust's travels.

"I have seen those ships, but I have never been on one. I haven't even been to Ahnatep. Their women are pretty, but have all those arms." Vanator laughed at himself before picking up the marked cord. When Dust posed her question about construction, Vanator paused again, looking up at her. His mouth curled lopsided in an ornery grin.

"To tell the truth...I have no idea how to build a building...I have always lived in a tent."
He winked at the Kelvic and laughed again.

The Denusk began to lay the string on the ground at the base of the back corner post of the chicken house, then stretched it out to about where he thought the first corner of the bird mews should be set. His voice rose up to the girl on the coup. "Do you want to play a game? Have you ever played truth or dare? We each choose to answer a question about ourselves, or we accept a dare to do something. I just shared a truth, if you want to play, tell me...truth or dare?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dust on November 14th, 2012, 1:51 am

Dust watched him lay out the marked cord with idle curiosity, only to have her attention redirected by his words. "You haven't?" she echoed, blinking down at Vanator. "Would you want to?" she asked on the first question's heels, acknowledging that not wanting is a perfectly good reason not to do a thing. "I don't think I'd call it incredible -- though I didn't even have to do much, really; the ship did all the moving. That was different, too."

Her expression became briefly perplexed as Vanator discusses the extra arms of Eypharians, something the Kelvic hadn't taken particular aesthetic notice of. "I suppose," she allowed, her feet swinging idly back and forth, heels brushing quietly against the side of the coop. Conversely, his admission of ignorance elicited a laugh from Dust. "I don't think birds would want a tent," she remarked. "Not if there's many storms like that one before. I stayed inside."

Van then proposed a new curlicue to the give-and-take of conversation Dust had always practiced. She tipped her head and peered down at him, clearly not recognizing the suggested game. "It's truth if you ask a question?" she mused, pursing her lips and momentarily considering this. "It should just be 'question'." It's not like she would lie, after all...

The whole thing seemed a little strange for a game, but Dust generally liked games... so she'd give it a try. "Dare," she decided, folding her arms across her knees and leaning forward a bit, head tilted in curiosity. They'd been exchanging questions and answers, and she could -- she would -- ask more when they occurred to her. What would his dare be?
Dust
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Next