Flashback fight fire with fire.

the only way to solve poisons is to counteract with poisons.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

fight fire with fire.

Postby Eridanus on November 8th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Day 5, Spring of 473 AV
Early Afternoon
The Medical Library

So you have finally decided to approach me?

Lym has deemed my knowledge to be competent to work alone.

She has talked to me about you for the past three years.

So she mentioned.

Why have you not sought me earlier?

I must focus on one at a time; that is only fair to the art and to my mentor.

Pause.

You have a strange way of thinking, Eridanus. Yet, I am busy in this time frame.

I apologize, Lady Giea.

You are quite renowned for your ability to focus and self-study. In that vein I will give you a list of certain, introductory books that may help you.

Yes ma'am.

I will call for you when some time has been relieved off my shoulders. In that time-

I will persist. Thank you.

And good day to you too, child of the starry night.

Over the past three years, Eridanus had been working under Lym as her student apprentice in philtering, insistent on not doing anything else until he gained a minimum level of understanding in that mystical art. When he had done so after no small amount of perseverance and study, he finally agreed to study under Lym's poisoncrafting friend Giea. His background should be a boon, since he realized that philtering and poisoncrafting shared quite a few attributes. For example, one of the Corrosionem could serve as a method of identifying fungi, which were a primary group in poison families. Another Corrosionem acted as a sort of antidote for some poisons as well, to raise another example.

Thus, here he was in the Medical Library, pouring over various texts that Giea recommended and which he was summarizing and copying on another blank book that he picked up at the general supplies store. The books were often specialized content, focusing on one thing, and he preferred to have a more localized point of reference. Thus, his new journal would hold the centralized information regarding this new discipline, with only brief mentions of the super-specific portions which he would mark so that he could refer to the specialized books if need be. In other words, he was writing a general, catch-all reference book for convenience. He often wondered why no one bothered to do so, or perhaps everyone did it but did not release them as books, instead keeping them as their personal journals. He would have to ask Lym one day if she had her own personal journal as well, judging from the excellent way that she directed his note-taking efforts during class, as if she knew what were good to include and what was unnecessary to do so.

[Poison works in two ways, a black and white, light and dark and yin and yang. The balance and counterbalance. One which imbalances and one which restores. Thus, the poison is engineered to imbalance, while the antidote is conceived to restore. That is the duality of poisoncrafting. To create a poison one works from the beginning, but to create the antidote one works from the end. That is the balance of poisoncrafting.]

Flipping several pages and books, he organized the texts before him for easy reference.

[Properties of a poison would be that of delivery method, variability of state, poison family, toxicity, potency, and phases of damage.

The delivery method was the important part of understanding a poison, for if one fails to identify how a poison can transfer to a body, there will be no poison and there will be no result. The consequence is therefore a failure, no matter how masterfully crafted the poison is. There are four methods of delivery, listed as follows: that of breath, that of food, that of touch and that of blood. A poison may have one or more delivery methods, but failing to engineer one is an ultimate failure on the part of the poisoncrafter.

The variability of state refers to the physical manifestation of the crafted poison. It may exist as air, liquid or solid, depending on environmental circumstances and factors. The poison may be useless at some states, may work at some, and may be exceedingly lethal in others. Understanding each poison's variability of state marks an apex in understanding for a poisoncrafter, and being able to engineer these variables shows the meticulousness of the dedicated poisoncrafter.

Each poison has to be derived from someplace, and this is shown in their origin. Advanced poisons derive their sources from numerous families, and different families are known for their advantages and disadvantages. Identifying and manipulating these specialties are essential to create especially potent poisons.

Toxicity is the scale of power of a poison, and marks the general ability of the poison to impact the target. Over time, if properly bottled, the toxicity may reduce and degrade, causing it to lose effectiveness.

Potency is the true scale for which to deduce the magnitude of the poison's effect, and is the measure for raw damage and power a poison can be capable of.

Phases of damage marks the components of how the effects of the poison is distributed. In other words, it is an understanding of multiple effects within a poison.]

That was the definitions part done. Next came the part where he had to dedicate a much larger space to. In fact, he had to reserve an entire chapter in his journal, for this was where he would chronicle various poison families. He spent more or less the rest of the day writing down all the different types of poison families, as well as some common examples of them.

[Poison families can generally be categorized into three categories: Fauna, Flora and Material. The Fauna Families encompasses the whole range of living animals, creatures and even some sentient races. The Flora Families includes all sorts of plant life. The Material Families refer to inanimate objects and items, though most of them are commonly used as philtering reagents.

The Aquatic Family can belong to both Fauna and Flora, since this poison family can apply as long as the object in question is an aquatic plant or animal.

The Araneida Family belongs to the Fauna category, and are drawn from the venom or shells of spiders. Poisons from this family specialize in the weakening of physical strength and stamina.

The Arboreal Family belongs to the Flora category, and this brand of toxins can be sourced from trees. Poisons from this family specializes in maintaining exceedingly long shelf lives and have a low rate of toxicity degradation, similar to their own long lives relative to other plants.

The Bestial Family belongs to the Fauna category, most commonly including wild game, beasts and mammal creatures. Poisons from this family have no particular specialization, deriving their strength from the type of creature the poison is drawn from.

The Chilopoda Family belongs to the Fauna category, where the toxins can be retrieved by the numerous centipedes. Poisons from this family tend to cripple physical agility, speed and overall mobility of the body.

The Fungus family belongs to the Flora category, and can be harvested from mushrooms, toadstools and similar plant life. Poisons from this family are known for their low potency but high toxicity.

The Roots family belongs to the Flora category, and is made from plant roots. While poisons from this family are considered second-grade and weak compared to the other families, they are the easiest to procure since they are more or less present everywhere.

The Hymenoptera family belongs to the Fauna category, and can be sourced from flying sting-carrying insects such as wasps, bees and hornets. Poisons from this family specializes in being quick in delivering the poison to a target where it can affect the target the most, and is known to damage physical agility, speed and overall mobility of the body.

The Lotus family belongs to the Flora category, and is one of the hardest to find due to the rarity of the exotic lotus flowers. Poisons from this family are notorious for their ridiculously high potency, and the absence of natural antidotes to their effects.

The Lumbricida family belongs to the Fauna category, and is derived from the bodies of worms, not to be confused with actively poisonous creatures from the Chilopoda family. Poisons from this family induces lethargy and damages physical strength and stamina.

The Mineral family belongs to the Material category, and can be mined from natural ores and rocks. Most commonly used in Philtering as well, they can have varied effects but is common in their ease of refining.

The Moss family belongs to the Flora category, and is commonly made from moss, land algae and similar plant life. They are best utilized in powder form, and are one of the easiest to find as well.

The Non-Ferrous Metal family belongs to the Material category, and are generally crafted from metallic sources not including blacksmith material such as iron and steel. They most commonly cause an overall damage to physical health and materializes in the form of sickness and debilitation of body harmony, and works best when delivered as food.

The Ooze family belongs to the Material category, and is the remnants of various semi-liquid substances found in subterranean caves and underground locations. They have no particular specialization other than the ease of harvest.

The Scorpionida family belongs to the Fauna category, and is drawn from the toxins of scorpion's stingers and tails. Poisons from this family specialize in causing negative effects to physical strength and stamina.

The Serpente family belongs to the Fauna category, and is derived from snakes, most commonly the poisonous fangs, though other appendages may apply if applicable. They cripple physical health and disrupts the balance of humours in the body by inducing illness.

The Undead family belongs to the Fauna category, and is retrieved from the various forms of unlife present in Mizahar. Poisons from this family generally damage physical health and induces negative effects depending on the type of undead.

The Vines family belongs to the Flora category, and is refined from plant parasites that leech on other flora to survive. They have no particular specialization but are commonly found and are generally safe to handle.

The Sentient family belongs to the Fauna category, and is derived from the variety of sentient races in Mizahar. Their effects vary wildly and obtaining one is often difficult and ethically dilemmic.]

That should do it for today.

It would be more prudent to study the terminology and background information of this discipline rather than plowing on, and so he retired for the day in order to take a closer look at the information he compiled.
Last edited by Eridanus on November 9th, 2012, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)