Flashback [Memorial Library] Meeting with a Mage (Hadrian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Memorial Library] Meeting with a Mage (Hadrian)

Postby Kel Ehmry on November 14th, 2012, 3:30 am

25th of Winter, 509AV

Kel was really starting to take a liking to this astronomy class he somewhat randomly enrolled in. Sure, studying the stars sounded interesting, but he didn't think it would be this interesting. There were certainly some beautiful sites to be seen in the heavens above. Not only was astronomy a pretty science, it could actually prove to be quite useful, especially for those on the road or seas. One could easily find ones way with the stars alone. Not to mention there were also the different worlds up in the sky. That was the topic of today's lecture, some sort of intro to the different worlds. He figured quite a few of his fellow students were summoners, looking to open up portals to these worlds. Kel sighed, he was no magic student. It was just boring old history for Kel, well, except for it being boring.

Evening was quickly falling over the city, and Kel should have probably headed straight home for supper. But, he decided to stop at the library as usual. He always took way more time than he needed whenever he went into the library, but somehow he still managed to make it back home for supper. So, what was another trip?

Shelves filled with books on various subjects towered above the the library floor. Occupied and empty tables were scattered throughout the massive room. Those that were occupied had students sitting at them, all diligently working to perhaps come up with an important thesis, or maybe just reading for their classes. Kel glanced up at the massive collection of books dawning over him. He smirked. I bet I could climb one of these shelves, without a latter of course, otherwise it's not fun he thought to himself.

Kel began to walk over to the history section, where he acquired much of his reading material. However, with astronomy on his mind, the section covering astronomy caught his attention. He decided to to take break from history, just for one day. He explored his options, and finally chose one on the known worlds. He figured he ought to get a head start on the material coming up in his astronomy class. Hell, maybe he would even get to one up the professor.
Kel Ehmry
History is a valuable thing.

Words: 42567
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2012, 5:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on November 14th, 2012, 6:54 am

Nobody had ever called Hadrian graceful. He was rather tall and gangling, and while he wasn't top-heavy, he just wasn't very coordinated either. There was a stack of anthropological tomes under one arm ranging from general history with commentary to archaeology, but it was a book of mathematics he had open in front of his face when he turned the corner and ran into someone or something.

"Shitshitshit," he whispered.

Whatever or whoever it was, he managed to save the books, his arms tightening around them like they were the most precious of cargo. Unfortunately, he wasn't as lucky with his own person, which toppled like a tree in the forest, his shoulder slamming into the floor. He ought to have cried out in alarm or something, but this was the library, so all that anyone might have heard was the wind being knocked out of him.

"Owowow," he mouthed, but no sound came out.

They were in the library, after all. Some things were just sacred.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kel Ehmry on November 15th, 2012, 3:02 am

Kel had rounded a seemingly blind corner and carrying his chosen book. He was headed for one of the tables to read in peace, but someone had managed to stop him from achieving his goal right away. As he rounded the corner, he came to a screeching halt as he collided with another visitor of the library. Despite whoever whoever he ran into being taller, Kel had managed to keep is footing easily enough, although he probably should have focused on his hands too, as they clumsily lost grasp of his book. Ahhh petch! Kel thought to himself as he bent over to retrieve his fallen book.

Kel looked up at whoever had run into him. The boy Kel saw was tall and lanky, and looked as if he just took a punch to the gut. Surely Kel couldn't have hurt him in the collision. It's not like they were running at each other at full force, just walking through a library.

"Ummm, you alright there?"Kel asked with a raised highbrow. Kel's eyes eventually drifted from the boy's eyes, and found themselves studying the books that the boy was carrying. The first one he noticed was something on some mathematics gibberish. But he also noticed the subjects of history and archaeology in the boy's collection. Kel became instantly curious about what the boy was studying at the university.

"Say, what are you studying? I noticed you are carrying some history and archaeology there" Kel inquired. They were the two subjects that seemed to be right up Kel's ally. Maybe this wouldn't be such a poor interaction after all.
Kel Ehmry

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on November 15th, 2012, 4:18 am

"Mm-hm," he managed. It wasn't so much the collision as it was him losing his balance to protect the books and not being able to cushion his own fall. He sat up carefully, setting the books aside with equal care, and then resting his head in his hands between his knees trying to breathe properly.

His recovery was quickened by the other boy's interest.

"Ah-an-anthropology," he said. His specialization had turned into the intersection of magic and culture, but that fell under anthropology so it was the easiest way to explain it without going into a greater degree of detail. He didn't mind talking about it, but he had a hard time determining whether people really wanted to hear it or were just being polite.

"Archaeology is... an application... of anthropology. And history... Well, history... it's connected too."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kel Ehmry on November 16th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Kel smiled, seeing that he had found someone who was studying something similar to what he was. Many students came to the university to study some sort of magic or another, and it was refreshing to break out of the stereotype. But Kel was a but of hypocrite, as he had contemplated taking an auristics class or two at some point in the future. The university offered so much in the way of magic, that not even Kel could resist learning a bit of magic.

"I'm here studying history myself. And, well maybe, I might mix a but of astronomy as well" Kel said, eagerly holding up the book he had chosen from the shelf. "I suppose it is a bit of a strange combination, but it suits me I think." Kel explained. It was a vague explanation for why he chosen two completely different areas of study, but to be frank, he had no clue what he was going to do with them. The two just interested him. Yes, magecraft, or some other skill may be more profitable, but Kel was not about to waste his time studying something he had no interest in. Somehow, he would have to find wealth in the study of history, if it was even possible. Or, he could be poor. Haha, yeah right.

"So, you got any big plans on what you will do with anthropology, mister....say, what was your name? I'm Kel" Kel asked as he extended his hand.
Kel Ehmry

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on November 20th, 2012, 6:49 am

"Hadrian," he managed, shaking his hand. Then he carefully rose to his feet, trying not to drop his books. But his entire side, and especially his shoulder, were screaming at him. He thought perhaps there would be a great deal of bruising when he peeled away his clothes later to investigate the damage.

Perhaps he ought to take a hot bath. Baths were less frequent in winter, of course, but still necessary and it would help with the ache, he supposed.

"It doesn't seem strange to me," he offered diffidently, "but, um, well, most people think I'm strange." Certainly he was tall and gangling, looked too hard at people and things when he wasn't daydreaming, and his interests were often bizarre. "I want to travel around Mizahar and study cultures, but I'll have to maybe teach or something to fund that dream."

He didn't bother talking about his magical studies; people already thought he was weird enough. Some had told him he ought to go to Sahova to study, since they were the premiere seat of magical learning in Mizahar, but mostly they meant because he was weird like a Nuit. Whatever. It didn't bother him. Much.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kel Ehmry on November 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm

"Pretty much everyone at this university seems to be pretty strange in one way or another. I'm fairly positive that at least half of the students in my astronomy class are would be summoners hoping open those crazy portals to different worlds." Kel said.

"Another hopeful traveler eh? Well that makes two of us. I love Zeltiva as much as the next guy, but I don't really want to be tied down here. There has been so much lost to time and the Valterrian. I'm hoping to go out and bring some of those lost things back to us." Kel sighed. I'm not really sure I'll fund that though. I'll figure that out when I get closer to graduation I guess." Kel seemed to completely forget about the money part of it. He would definitely need some money to keep that dream alive, unless he wanted to be camping under a tree every night. Maybe ought to look into picking up a trade skill in the coming semester, yeah that's probably a good idea. Maybe cartography or something.
Kel Ehmry

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on November 22nd, 2012, 9:56 pm

Hadrian wasn't sure how to take Kel's observation. If every student was weird and Hadrian still didn't have much in the way of friends, how bizarre must he be? But he was polite if nothing else, so he smiled.

"The University would be the best place to gather such things, so the scholars can study them. You ought to look into travel fellowships," he offered. "Lord Maria and the Regents seem determined to keep the University at the top of the continent's academics, and make the city better in whatever ways they can. They might just invest in you and your travels."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kel Ehmry on November 23rd, 2012, 3:34 am

"Travel fellowships?" Kel was intrigued by the idea. The university will actually sponsor me in my travels. Well, there is another thing to check out. This damn place just keeps on offering me opportunities I just cannot pass up, Kel thought to himself. Hell, by the time Kel left he guessed he wouldn't even be a history major any more. Kel chuckled at the thought of being tempted and switching from history to magic. But history is just too damn interesting...and valuable.

"Well, those travel fellowships may just be something I check out at some point. I'm still new to the university so it may be a bit early to be thinking about that" Kel said. "Plus, I'd bet that they need to believe in what I'm doing for them to give me money. I don't even know what I'll be doing in the first place" Kel smirked.

Kel began to peer around the library, looking at various books around the section of the library they were in. Although he had come from a section covering astronomy, he must have run into Hadrian in one of the magic sections, judging by the books around him. To Kel's right, there was a specific book, with a red cover and gold lettering, that was simply titled Auristics. Kel immediately became curious, and grabbed the book, adding it to his stack.

"You know anything about magic? I've been trying to prevent myself from taking anything in magic, but, magic is a pretty important part of our history, and it would be good to get a basic understanding..." Kel said
Kel Ehmry

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on December 4th, 2012, 6:12 am

"Not too early to think on it, I would say," he rejoined, "but too early to make a decision. You might at least look into the opportunities to better come up with a strategy to win funding for... for whatever it is you end up doing." He attempted another smile, which was equally as awkward as those previous.

"Oh, um," he stalled as his mind switched tracks and caught up with the new question. "Yes, some. I've focused my anthropological studies on the intersection of magic and culture, so I know a lot of theory and a little in practice. I'm not very talented, though." And this was true. Auristics and reimancy had been hard-won skills and he was not quite skilled, but he seemed to have a flair for magecrafting, which to him was more about mathematical calculations and clever applications of concrete things than some innate soul-born talent.

"It's difficult, is magic."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Next