Flashback question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Flashback question

Postby Maeva on November 15th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm hoping to do a flashback for my character basically describing her journey from her hometown to Syliras - and possibly the first few days in her new home.

I'm just wondering whether this is acceptable? I always thought flashbacks as one-day events, or 2 days at the most. But my idea would span over however long it takes to go from Nyka to Syliras, plus the day/s I write to summarise Maeva' first experiences of Syliras

My PC is slightly different in that she's a Kelvic, but has no desire to bond with someone, or have a life of servitude. I'm also hoping to write how this lifestyle came about (possibly to amalgamate it with my 'coming-to-Syliras' flashback), but again - this would have to happen over several days.

So... is this possible? How would I go about writing this if I did... Would it still have to have the start date at the beginning? Or would something like 'Fall 511-Summer 512' suffice?

Thaaanks! (:
Last edited by Maeva on November 16th, 2012, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maeva
Player

Words: 54416
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 9:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Flashback question

Postby Kirvan Deepseeker on November 15th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I think it's okay to have one thread to span multiple dates as long as you specify each date. The way I've heard it, you should still put the date at the top of the thread start when that post is happening, and then whenever the day changes you just put another timestamp.
Kirvan Deepseeker
Praise Laviku!

Words: 172723
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2012, 1:47 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Flashback question

Postby Vick on November 15th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Yeah that's fine. Flashbacks can spawn years in the same thread if you wanted. A lot of people either talk about it clearly in the post or change the date in the post in the same thread. So like:

Vick sighed as the years went by....

OR

Starting post: Fall 1 1

Next post: Spring fall 3

And so on.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Flashback question

Postby Maeva on November 15th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Brilliant, thanks guys!
Maeva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Flashback question

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 16th, 2012, 12:14 am

Maeva Genois wrote:My PC is slightly different in that she's a Kelvic, but has no desire to bond with someone, or have a life of servitude. I'm also hoping to write how this lifestyle came about (possibly to amalgamate it with my 'coming-to-Syliras' flashback), but again - this would have to happy over several days.

I see a bit of a problem with that, as it is going against the nature of kelvics. I can understand fighting it, or possibly even wanting to be a player who is different than others of the same race, but it just really is not feasible with the nature of kelvics. It is in their blood, a part of their instincts, to want to find someone to bond to. It is a need for them to do so, on a deep level.

You cannot really just choose to not look for a bond mate. It would be like saying, I was born a fish, but I want to fight against my nature to swim and breath in water. It just really is not feasible, in the longterm.

From the kelvic lore, under Psychology...

Their entire existence was crafted with a powerful deep-seated need to serve loyally and faithfully. The Kelvics tend to spend most of their lives looking for leadership. They often pair up with normal humans or other races and take a submissive yet highly protective and obedient role.

Now this does not mean she cannot be picky, or look for someone who will love her or possibly treat her as an equal, and look for a master that she thinks is worthy, and such. But it really is not realistic for her race, to just say she does not need a master, and wont look for one.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Flashback question

Postby Maeva on November 16th, 2012, 12:31 am

I best hope that my explanation via flashbacks makes up for it then, :lol:

After all, amphibious fish exist in the real world, to use your analogy. So I'm thinking that Maeva ended up the way she is due to something that completely destroyed/changed her original (i.e. the 'usual' Kelvic) way of thinking. Or even, an idea I am toying with, that Maeva is abiding by the wishes of her bondmate by living the way she does. I haven't made my mind up about it completely, but there are different options for me to go down in terms of what changed her. After all, she CS got approved as how she is - so it must make a certain amount of sense, even if I have to... explain it, in some way - via flashbacks or threads.
Maeva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Flashback question

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 16th, 2012, 1:45 am

I disagree, as you really are talking about changing a fundamental piece of what a kelvic is. It is part of what they are, being a kelvic, to need a bondmate. And really, even if you were once bonded to someone, it will fade in time, and she will need to find a new bondmate. Having one ever in your life does not mean you never need one again.

Kelvics are a mageforged race, with magic etched into there dna, along with their need to bond. Which is were the bit of the familiary comes in. They physically need a bondmate. Their need to bond was crafted into them, by design.

So I really dont think anything that occurred in her past, could alter her in such a way that she will not desire a bondmate. You can always ask Goss, since she made them, but I am fairly certain I am right on this.

But the way kelvics are is more than just a psychology, and the way they are trained. It is literally a part of who they are, and if you try to take that away, you are not left with a kelvic.

As for you getting CS approval, yes you did, but that does not mean that every little detail of your character is perfect. I am sure if they looked hard enough, they could find several errors and issues on mine, that I have not seen after my time here. Going over a CS is not a perfect science, and usually they are looking for different things, or big blatant issues, like a 20 yr old kelvic. Sometimes details can be missed, until the right person happens to read it, and see the issue. I know for a fact several different people can read the exact same thing, and come to completely different conclusions, dependent upon what we are looking for.
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on November 16th, 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Flashback question

Postby Gossamer on November 16th, 2012, 1:52 am

Kelvics are hardwired to bond. This cant be changed by trauma or a bad experience.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)