Solo Dueling oneself

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Dueling oneself

Postby Wrenmae on November 20th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Fall 11, 512 AV
“So tell me about Fyreden.”

“Not much to say. Have you considered living on the sun? Maybe living on the moon?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Then you’ve never considered living on Fyreden. You flesh bags would evaporate or freeze in an instant.”

“Charming place.”

“The tourism alone gets us through the toughest times.”

The two men circled each other, one brandishing a long dagger and the other with a rapier. Wren tested Zan’s poise, stepping forward and bringing his rapier across the distance between them, thrusting at the familiar’s heart. Zan pushed out his dagger, redirecting the blade away from him, but maintained his distance. Both smiled, circling in a measured dance of thrusts and parries.

“What does one do on Fyreden? How does one pass the time?”

“Through interpretive dance,” Zan teased, striding in and swinging the long dagger across, up toward Wren’s face. The wizard slipped the rapier between them both, sliding it up so that hilt locked hilt, “But we have been known to play conqueror on each other and design petty alliances. Personally I dreamed of becoming a doctor.”

“A doctor?” Stepping in, Wrenmae aimed a kick at the familiar, but Zan had already danced out of his reach, disengaging the dagger and circling again. “I find that hard to imagine.”

“I can’t be held responsible for a limited imagination,” Zan responded, “But to be serious, I don’t know any of my people who DON’T want to get off that world. Shyke, I shacked up with you, after all.”

Wrenmae leaped in for a thrust and Zan batted it away again, both twisted in the movements of combative dance, Zan slashing out with the dagger and Wrenmae catching it with the rapier, pushing it aside and stepping in to deliver a blow to Zan’s face. The familiar stumbled back, hand to his jaw, grinned, and leaped back into the fray. His movements were better, had been getting better the longer they practiced. Some of Wren’s skills were rubbing off on the familiar and now they both could improve each other, training and sparring. The familiar mirrored Wren’s movements and so they both used different weapons.

Zan struck thrice, sweeping the dagger wide at Wren's midriff, quickly received and deterred with his blade, a high slash, ducked, and a stab at his side, narrowly avoided as Wrenmae strode in fast, Zan's thrust too wide to catch his body. Up close, Wrenmae delivered a short but brutal punch to the familiar's stomach, staggering him. The whole aspect of the duel was two part, both endurance and training. Wren also felt the staggering blow to his own stomach, gritting his teeth and breathing harshly through his nose, bellowing like a bull.

The wizard noticed his partner was not quite as fast or sure as he, as if there was still a distance between their full immersion. Still, he had grasped the ability they’d seen so long ago in Alvadas, a replicant form.
And this form carried possibility.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Dueling oneself

Postby Wrenmae on November 20th, 2012, 11:27 pm

“It was I who settled for you,” The mage retorted, swinging his blade up toward Zan’s face and catching the dagger. It pushes against his raised blade and for a moment they struggled against each other. “Plenty of other choices. Maybe I should have chosen an Irylid.”

Zan pushed against the lock, reeling back and socking Wrenmae right in the face. The mage fell back from the lock, tumbling along the ground with a clatter of metal and fought to regain his feet. Zan stood where he had, letting his partner rise to the occasion once more.

“An Irylid? With you? Maybe. I feel like I’m with one anyways. Your jokes are stale and your verbal jousting could use work. Honestly, I feel like I’m talking to a child.”

“Give me the dagger and we’ll see how confident you feel.” Wrenmae began circling Zan again, grinning,

“And let you lean on that tiresome crutch? I think not. Show some gumption. Stick me with that sword.”

Wrenmae leaped forward, pivoting on his foot and drawing the blade up and over the expected jab of retaliation, feet settled, he drew back the blade and shoved it toward Zan. To his shock, the familiar was not quick enough to move and the blade impaled him, completely.

Reaching to his own chest, Wrenmae fell back, shocked.

Zan only laughed.

“Come on, Wrenmae, have a little faith.” The wound had left no residue. The area around it was glimmering ever so slightly, more water than skin.

“You can transform parts of yourself?”

“Your morphing, my innovation. Replicant form is nearly instantaneous, thus is the removal of it. If I selectively transform, I have plenty of interesting capabilities.”

Leaping into the air, Zan spun over Wren’s head, floating on jets of Djed before settling and lashing out with the dagger. Wren desperately defended, catching the blade and pushing Zan back. But rather than fall to his back, Zan paused mid fall and rose back to his feet, his back firming again. The crafty devil! By changing parts of his body, he could anticipate the rhythm of combat better than Wren could. Even sharing experience, Zan would prove the more adept at combat should their skills mesh any closer.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dueling oneself

Postby Wrenmae on November 23rd, 2012, 9:44 am

Zan struck in again, leaping forward with his dagger extended. Wren stepped back, anticipating the blow, and pivoting his back leg. As the dagger passed through where he was, Wren stepped sideways and brought his rapier down on Zan's shoulder as he dashed past, smacking him lightly.

Zan turned, grinning, kicking dirt up at Wrenmae as the storyteller tried to flank. Wrenmae fell back, hand to his face, and Zan entered into the fray with a strong left hook, catching Wrenmae on the chin and knocking him to the ground. Rolling, blinking the distraction from his eyes, the Waveguard was up again and intercepting a dagger aimed at his chest. He led the blade outward, sending the thrust by him harmlessly and then kicking out at Zan.

The blow caught the familiar off guard, knocking him away from the storyteller. Grimacing, both master and familiar turned to face each other again, gasping.

They'd put a lot into the combat, but neither was ready to call it quits. Zan slashed up and down at Wrenmae, turning the dagger around his hand to give him a double slash from two different directions. The storyteller, whipped the rapier out to intercept the first, but the reversal tore the sword away form him.

Hissing, Wrenmae rolled toward his discarded blade, tearing it from the ground the moment Zan came down with the dagger, catching the blade inches from his face and pushing the familiar back. Together they locked themselves in deadly combat, complimenting each other's lithe movements. Leaping, stabbing, slashing, they circled in some sort of macabre dance, neither quite hurting the other but both locked in deadly silence.

Wren caught the blade again, pushing it up and over and down, disarming the familiar.

He grinned.

"Ready to give up?"

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dueling oneself

Postby Wrenmae on November 23rd, 2012, 9:50 am

Zan grinned, shaking his head. "A blade can't hurt me."

Wrenmae sighed, flicking at the ground with his rapier. "Then what can?"

“All I have to worry about are the blunt impacts,” the Sarawanki warned, “Blades are nothing. Freezing reimancy and heavy blows are another. My internal heat is my life, destroy that and I’ll be gone as well. Remember that in combat, eh?”

“I’m not so fool as to forget it.”

“When life is on the line, you learn fast, boyo.”

Zan swung in, jabbing at Wrenmae with a series of swift blows. Up came Wrenmae’s arms, blocking the worst of them and moving as best he could to avoid the impact. Zan pressed the relentless advantage, giving the hypnotist no quarter, no chance to retaliate.

Up, left, right, down! The blows rained from every place and Wren moved his forearms as best he could to intercept them. Pivoting, he took a blow in the chest, leaning as though to fall back and then turning, bringing his own fist back and throwing it at Zan’s face. Zan moved, but caught the edge of the blow, sending him spinning.

The familiar caught his balance in the dirt, throwing himself right back at his master. Both crashed against each other, all elbows and fists. Zan hurled one at Wrenmae's face, both forearms blocked it and Wren retaliated by bringing both forearms down on the familiar.

Zan took the blow, hissed, fired two blows into Wrenmae's stomach, sending the storyteller reeling. Zan pressed the assault, but Wren expected it. He fell back against the onslaught, leading him backwards till he pivoted his foot, threw flux into his one arm, ringing, and hurled it at Zan.

The familiar saw it coming, but was too slow to dodge. It grazed his cheek and sent him spinning to the floor.

He hit the ground, hand to face, grinning beneath fingers and sweeping his leg at Wren. The mage leaped over the legs, dashing to grab his rapier and catching Zan before he rose, blade at throat.

“Point.”

“But not match”

“Howso?”

Zan grinned and then was water once more, swirling up to Wrenmae.

But the mage had anticipated this, gathering res into his free hand. Now he leveled it at the familiar, converting it into a fierce wind, knocking the familiar away from him, spinning over the forest floor.

That’s cheating

We never said magic wasn’t allowed. You shape change.

And you fight from a skill advantage.

All equal then.

Match then. But I won’t fall for that next time.

See that you don’t, I expect my familiar to at least match his master.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dueling oneself

Postby Balderdash on November 23rd, 2012, 10:23 am

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

Skill XP Awarded
Rapier 3
Unarmed Combat 4
Familiarity 3
Reimancy 1

Lores: Fyrden’s Tourism Industry, Zan’s Witty Tongue, Zan’s Doctoring Dreams, Having Stale Jokes, Disarming A Foe, Meshing True And Replicant Form, What Can And Can’t Hurt Zan, Skirting The Rules

Items and Consequences: Your PC will be sore for two days following this match, but is otherwise unharmed.

Heh. An interesting little solo, and Zan never fails to entertain. :) Keep it up!

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)