Whither Now (Rigil)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 28th, 2010, 5:12 am

81st Spring, 510 A.V.

The end of his last term had come, and while he did feel a certain amount of accomplishment, Hadrian also felt fear. No longer would he be a big man on campus, but just another enchanter-for-hire trying to make his way through the great, big, scary world. It probably didn't help that his first post-graduate project would take him to Sahova, island of the undead nuit, in order to do research. Having lived with Isikais, he knew how frightening those creatures could be.

His plans were set, though, and now he was just biding his time, enjoying the smell of old paper and ink, dust and sunlight, there among the stacks. Finally he pulled out a book on the history of Sahova that he hadn't already read and took it to an unoccupied table and sat down, opening up the cover with reverent hands.

Looking up, he realized that this was the table where he had first met Naomi, years previous. He smiled and looked down to explore what this book had to teach him.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 28th, 2010, 5:30 am

While it was Hadrian’s last term, when Rigil walked into the library, it was definitely his first.

The look on Rigil’s face provided the insight to others that he was truly new to this place. His head was turning right and left, taking in his surroundings, the incredible array of bookshelves with the various assorted scrolls and tomes and codices all appointed a sense of knowledge which humbled the bright Ethaefal.

As he roamed around the rows of bookshelves, hmming aloud an odd tuneless tune which permeated from his parted lips, Rigil then saw Hadrian sitting down on a table nearby. Recalling how he had had assisted him on his first day with the admission, he raised his and approached Hadrian.

“My friend, it is good to see you again,” he whispered aloud as he stood a short distance away from where Hadrian was sitting. Enough for his whisper to reach Hadrian’s ears. “I trust you are well?”

His eyes flicked over the table, seeing the book cover titling the History of Sahova. He tilted his head slightly.

“Learning about Sahova, I warrant?” he mused aloud. “I hope you do mind if I join you? I’m still wandering around, learning more about this university, day by day.”
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Words: 40544
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2010, 10:27 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 28th, 2010, 5:54 am

Rigil's hummed tune didn't register in his conscious mind, so deeply was he absorbed in his reading. It didn't take long for a good book to charm him into a sort of trance. But, like most people, he responded to his name being stage whispered at him, reacting on instinct to something directed definitively at him.

Chlorine blue eyes shot up, wide, face blank until the image of the ethaefal hit his brain and matched up with his memory. A blink then, and a smile. He sat up straighter, holding his place in the book with a piece of acid-free archival paper. The Zeltivan librarians did not mess around with their books.

"Oh... hello, Rigil. I'm soon to leave on a research trip to Sahova, so I am just trying to pick up a few more details to prepare me for... well, whatever I can anticipate. I'm sure I won't anticipate everything, but hopefully I'll survive."

His grin was of the self-deprecating sort. He was actually nervous about this whole trip, but it was an opportunity. Sahova wasn't exactly welcoming to those still living, but it was nigh unmatched in magical research.

"How did things go with the Registrar? Did you meet with Stonemiller yet?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 28th, 2010, 6:29 am

Tapered eyebrows which formed into a casual frown of consideration appeared below the rows of worried lines that creased itself along the folds of Rigil’s forehead. The clarity of Hadrian’s blue eyes off set the anxiety that Rigil could only sense with a shallow semblance of skill. He eased himself onto a nearby chair and leaned forward, resting his arms along the smooth edge of the rather luxurious table, at least to the Ethaefal’s judgement.

“A trip to Sahova, indeed?” he parted his lips, an expression of surprise transpired along his face. “That certainly will be an adventure. Truth be told, I do not know much about Sahova.”

He rubbed his chin, hmming aloud while he mulled over Hadrian’s revelation. Attempting to wrack his brain with whatever he knew about Sahova, little seemed to creep up towards the fore of his mind where he would be able to grasp it. Grimacing at that, he decided he needed to learn a little bit about this place.

“Well as the cliché goes, expect the unexpected,” he returned Hadrian’s grin with one of his own, before he chuckled. Shaking his head, he then leaned back against the chair. “Things are going well. I have my studies to do, which is why I am here. I wanted to find a book on the basics of Projection. But tell me more about what you’ll be doing in Sahova, please!”

He looked at him expectantly, the curiosity within Rigil’s eyes were deep and manifested its own urgency to garner what information he could attain from his new found friend.
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 28th, 2010, 7:03 am

"Well, oh... I can show you where to find books on projection in a minute, I suppose. Anyway, I have it set up so I will have a place to stay in Sahova -- you know, they apparently aren't equipped to house living people... I guess unless you're important enough -- but I have a place to stay and a reason to be there, but my actual purpose will be to learn from some of the wizards there, or at least study in their libraries, and perhaps trade some of my enchantments for learning..."

All that whispering... He started to rise. "Come, I'll show you how they have the books arranged so you'll know where to find everything on projection.

"But yes, obviously magecrafting would be the smartest thing for me to learn while there, but I'm excited to learn anything, so hopefully something will pan out. I don't see how I could go there and not learn something, though, so I don't think it will be a bust anyway..."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 28th, 2010, 7:26 am

Rigil was a steady listener, a fast learner and someone who concentrated on various levels. Multi tasking came to him naturally. So as Hadrian spoke and explained about Sahova, he nodded his head, frowning thoughtfully at the right moments and tapped his fingers along the edge of the table, beating up a soft, steady rhythm.

“Sahova...so it’s a Nuit based city?” he enquired, arching an eyebrow. “Most curious indeed. Well, I do hope you’ll be safe, Hadrian. I wouldn’t wish any harm to come to you. Still, as they say, every experience is a good experience. As long as you live through it, that is.”

He smiled thinly at that remark and then pushed himself up when Hadrian rose from his own seat. He flicked his blue cloak to not let it get stuck in the corner of the chair. Following Hadrian, he turned to regard the various other students browsing the shelves and studying on desks, their postures certain angled to derive a greater sense of concentration as well as making sure that when they became old their backs would be bent.

“As long as you are able to learn about mage crafting, then hopefully your purpose to travel to Sahova will be worth the while,” he replied. “Indeed, I envy how you are travelling. I have been an avid traveller myself, but I’ve never had the courage to make my way to Sahova. Not even Sunberth would grant me quarter. Would you imagine that, eh?”

He grinned, before he took in the shelves, trying to study the patterns on how they were shelved. “So it is based on subject, author and publication date?” he turned to Hadrian.
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 28th, 2010, 6:25 pm

He glanced askance at Rigil's admission of ignorance about Sahova, wondering if even Lhex and Tanroa had any sort of omniscience. Logically, of course, an ascended human wouldn't immediately know everything, and they might have some knowledge knocked out of them when they fell to earth.

"Yes, Sahova is an enclave of mostly undead wizards from before the Valterrian. Their lore surpasses ours at the University, I imagine, because here there is a balance between research and teaching, whereas they are less concerned with teaching there from what I understand... Their archwizard, Zarik Mashaen, was the court mage of Alahea back before..."

He nodded, changing subjects back to the organization of the library, multi-tasking as well. Hadrian had always found it easy to compartmentalize his life, his conversations, his thoughts.

"This room is dedicated to the arcane arts and sciences, and these here cover astral projection, studies on dreamwalking gnosis, and other similar sorts of magic. Surely there will be a practical manual or three to peruse... though the professors here encourage doing as much research as one can on one's own, but not to try too much without supervision. Danger, you know."

He grinned; he would most likely be dead or at least heavily scarred if it weren't for the healers in town.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 29th, 2010, 1:21 am

Rigil noticed Hadrian’s glance and his eyes drifted down towards the various scrolls. It was easy to understand what Hadrian was thinking. He smiled thinly and then shook his head.

“Unfortunately, I’m not the most learned Ethaefal, Hadrian,” he said, chuckling aloud. He then waved his hand, directing it along the expanse of the library. “If I was, I would have far more wisdom and intelligence. My life before was rather ignorant and I believe....well, there is little I recall from my life within the....”

He waved his hand dismissively, realising he had spoken too much. Clearing his throat, he frowned thoughtfully while rubbing his chin. A certain hmming sound permeated from his parted lips.

“Zarik Mashaen...the name sounds oddly familiar, something perhaps my scribe mentors mentioned,” he said slowly, pronouncing every word as though they weighed a significant amount. His ruminations ceased though as Hadrian began explaining the library system.

Nodding his head at the various appropriate moments, he seemed attentive, focussing upon Hadrian’s explanation. Rich green eyes took in the displays of scrolls, books and the long rows and columns of shelves which hosted the precious knowledge which he had come for. He found something satisfying in that thought.

“Hmm, I was not aware of self studying being the focal point,” he said, taking that into consideration for his studies. “Well this is good, I’ve always been a better student when studying alone, alas. Thank you, Hadrian, this will help me a lot to find what I need.”

He dipped his head to Hadrian respectfully, before continuing to speak.

“So tell me, how long do you believe you will be staying in Sahova?” he enquired, looking at his friend.
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Hadrian on May 29th, 2010, 2:41 am

"It's all right, you know," he said, attempting to be conscientious toward the ethaefal's feelings. "I've spoken to other ethaefal about the Ukalas, about living with the gods. You don't have to speak of it -- I know it's painful -- but you don't have to hide it from me either."

He attempted a smile, and patted Rigil on the arm.

"Anyway," he continued, "if you're well-trained as a scribe, you might also talk to Stonemiller about learning some glyphing. I mean, it seems like a natural extension of your skills into another one. If you're meticulous with your calligraphy and knowledgeable of glyphs, you can capture spells on scrolls, or help people like me prepare their enchantments... I had to use a lot of glyphing in my last big project. It might even help with your projection if you, I don't know, sit within a warded circle of glyphs... Protecting your body and keeping your soul anchored to it."

He shrugged; ideas came out of him like that sometimes and he figured they were meant for whomever brought them out of him. He rubbed ruminatively at his jaw, faint ink stains on his fingers smudging pale skin.

"I'm not sure about Sahova, really. I'm going to stay on a trading vessel in the harbor. I could be there overnight, or I might be there for a few weeks. It all depends on what opportunities arise. If I'm there for a while, I could write. Or you could check with Stonemiller. Most likely I would send him a message or three."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Whither Now (Rigil)

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 29th, 2010, 2:53 am

An affectionate smile displayed itself upon the countenance of Rigil’s facial features. The kind words Hadrian seemed to offer Rigil granted the Ethaefal with a sense of composure which he truly appreciated. Nodding his head to him, he then arched an eyebrow.

“You know about us well then,” he remarked, mildly surprised by this. Then again, Rigil had been too afraid to learn much about his own race. It seemed woefully incomplete, as though if he dove into the studies of the Ethaefal, he would find a mirror where his reflection was cracked and the mirror itself would harbour dust and residue, providing an ambiguous and opaque reflection.

As they moved along the rows, Rigil took in the library while listening to Hadrian speak, offering various ideas to him which the scribe stored in his memories. It seemed the new friend he had made was indeed a wise scholar.

“Glyphing, you say?” he hmmed aloud, considering that line of subject. “I’ve not had much experience with that, but your ideas seem to work hand in glove with my basic skills of projection. I am not unskilled when it comes to calligraphy. The cursive scripts come easy to my long deft fingers. To be sure, I still need to practise more on that.”

He paused, listening to Hadrian intently and nodding his head. Rigil seemed lost in his own thoughts and yet when he spoke, it was evident the scribe had been listening quite well.

“Well, due to the nature of Sahova, it would be prudent to write to Stonemiller and keep him updated. After all, when it comes to the Undead, they can be rather unpredictable. Though, that’s coming from me, who should be dead anyway.”

An acid voice seemed to creep up in him as he spoke that last statement, bitterness paving the way of its own volition. Rigil realised that and he cleared his throat.

“I mean, well, we are all different.”

What was wrong with him? Why was he throwing himself into that well of self-pity?
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Character sheet

Next