Location [Syliras Location] Inner Fire Glass

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Inner Fire Glass

Postby Gossamer on August 5th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Inner Fire Glass is named after the owner's spirited mother, a young redhead who was cousin to the Dyres' and something of a spitfire. Coming from a long line of glassblowers, the Holbrad Clan has long worked as craftsman for the people of Syliras. Fire Holbrad died young, but gifted the world with a daughter who became one of the best glassworkers in Syliras. Inner Fire is located within Stormhold on the second tier, adjacent to an outer wall. It is in close proximity to the actual 'city' itself, being located in the crook of one of the castles great arms - opposite of the Ironworks. Long protected by its location, the glassworks does a steady business with the denizens of Stormhold and visitors of Syliras itself. It has a workroom on the outer wall that contains six kilns, two of which are used for cooling and curing ovens. They vent up the great wall and provide something of internal warmth for part of the castle during the cold season.

Inner fire is completely packed with product. Leena doesn't believe in making things 'as ordered' but always keeps a massive amount of stock on hand for those times she does need things in rapid order. Partially subsidized by the Syliran knights, she rarely has to worry about supply shortages or dangers in getting her sand, ash, or other ingredients delivered.

Leena is always willing to do custom work, and often displays 'experiments' for sale on new colors shes been working on, or projects shes trying to put together. Her most famous design is the great glass window in the inner courtyard of Stormhold. She also produces laboratory quality glass for the magecrafters and alchemists of the city.

Price List :
Inner Fire Specialty Sets

• Tableware Sets (4 settings) – 1 gm
    ~Includes: Dinner Plate, Salad Plate, Soup Bowl, Wineglass, Goblet and silverware (provided by Ironworks)
  • Serving Sets – 3 gm
    ~Includes: Pitcher, Serving Plate, Two Serving Bowls, Two Serving Spoons, Salad Bowl, and Salad Tossers.
  • Punch Bowl – 2 gm
    ~Includes Bowl and ten punch glasses (extra available)

Individual Pieces

Bowls
  • Soup – 5 sm
  • Dinner – 8 sm
  • Serving - 15 sm
  • Decorative - 25 sm
Plates
  • Salad – 5 sm
  • Dinner – 10 sm
  • Serving – 25 sm
  • Large Decorative – 50 sm

Glasses
  • Wine – 2 sm
  • Mug – 1 sm
  • Cup – 3 sm
  • Punch - 1 sm
  • Goblets – 5 sm
  • Decanter – 20 sm
  • Pitcher – 15 sm

Luminaries
  • Candlesticks – 5 sm
  • Candleabra – 50 sm
  • Lantern – 10 sm
  • Votives – 1 sm
  • Chandelier - Special Order

Decorative/Ornamental
  • Beads (Bag of 30) – 10 cm
  • Marbles (Bag of 20) - 1 sm
  • Paperweights – 15 sm
  • Perfume Bottles – 10 sm
  • Sun catchers – 2 sm
  • Servant Bell – 2 sm
  • Gemstones – 1 cm
  • Globes (Various Styles ) – 10 – 80 sm
  • Statues – Special Order
  • Figurines – Special Order
  • Mirrors – 10 sm per sq feet
  • Vases - Special Order

Household/Laboratory
  • Window Pane – Special Order
  • Stained Glass Window – Special Order
  • Doors/Windows – Special Order
  • Bottles (with glass/cork stopper) – 1 cm
  • Canning Jars – 10 cm
  • Vial (10 pack) – 2 cm
  • Flask (with glass/cork stopper) – 3 cm to 10 cm
  • Graduated Cylinders – 2 cm
  • Distiller – 35 gm

Other Items Available Upon Request!
We have a great deal of inventory in multiple colors, styles, and designs. We might just have what you need, and if we don't, we can certainly make it.

NPC :

There are some craftspeople that decide they must do everything themselves in order to be perfect. Leena is one of those individuals. She gathers her own materials, mixes them secretly, and keeps her recipes utterly to herself. Occasionally she takes apprentices, but in general most of Leena's work is carried out on her own. She employs one young male clerk to help everyone within the store, and the rest of the time she looses herself in the glass kilns. Because of her work ethic and her experience, Leena is able to almost exclusively supply Stormhold and Syliras with her products.

Skill List
Glass Blowing - 89 pts
Etching - 72 pts
Metalworking - 61 pts
Poetry - 34 pts
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] Inner Fire Glass

Postby Nya Winters on December 28th, 2009, 1:02 am

Timestamp: 47th of Winter
Purpose: Simple Purchase of a Gift

Nya walked into the shop, careful not to touch anything that she could break. She slipped from one counter to the other, looking puzzled by all the glass things people wanted and how fragile it all looked. While beautiful to her, they seemed rather pointless in the functionality department. But after a few minutes of peering, a very concerned looking clerk, and a good deal of feeling uncomfortably like a bull in a porcelain shop, Nya found what she was looking for.

Pointing to a rather large display of marbles, Nya picked out twenty assorted sizes and colors and tucked them into the velvet bags offered to go with them. Upon weighing the bag, she decided it probably wouldn't be enough and filled up four more bags until she had roughly 100 of the colorful but tough glass orbs. She paid the 5 silvers and exited the shop carefully, tucking the treasures back into her backpack, hoping the children at Welcome Home would like them.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] Inner Fire Glass

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 15th, 2010, 6:07 am

47th of Winter, 509

The store was absolutely brimming with various glassware, and deGrey immediately checked himself. Caution would be beneficial here… He allowed the shallow open topped box he was holding to drop to his side, where he kept it close to his right leg. It was now that he noticed the smell of ashes coming from the area with the kilns. It was not entirely pleasant, but Alistair could not say he disliked it either. A great sigh escaped his lips as he began meticulously examining the various glass works, looking for the proper equipment. This was not exactly how he imagined a glass works to look, or smell. Alistair had not been perusing the wares for a minute before a clerk scurried up to him. How anyone could move so quickly in this shop was- "Greetings, how may I be of service?" the clerk was exceedingly irritating and high pitched,

"Ah yes, my good sir. If you would truly like to be of service, you would find yourself elsewhere. In fact, any elsewhere would be absolutely thrilling." Yes, the clerk looked crestfallen; however, Alistair now had a bit of peace to browse the wares. It was for the best. Another few minutes of browsing and deGrey had finally found his treasure. It was a small section littered with alembics, vials, and beakers.

Alistair stocked his shallow box with the necessary apparati, and took his box to a nearby table and recalled the clerk. He deposited a sum of gold mizas and took his leave, allowing the clerk to count the money with that same crestfallen expression painted on his face.

Transaction :
Purchased
2 Glass Vial (10 pack): 4 cm @ 2 cm each
5 Flask: 50 cm @ 10 cm each
3 Graduated Cylinder: 6 cm @ 2 cm each
2 Distiller: 70 gm @ 35 gm each
5 Canning Jar: 50 cm @ 10 cm each
10 Bottle: 10 cm @ 1 cm each
2 Serving Bowl: 50 sm @ 25 sm each
1 Lantern: 10 sm @ 10 sm each

Totals.
Purchases: 77.2 gm
Other: 2.8 gm (tip for going away)

Total Expenditure: 80 gm
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gaius Sivet on June 11th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Summer, Day 11, 512 AV

Gaius entered the shop with a sense of wonder and foreboding. The shop's exterior had been marvelous itself, both beautiful and functional, but the inner workings were even more marvelous. Glass lined the shelves and displays in a myriad of colors and styles, some of which Gaius had never seen, even from the master glassworkers in Wind Reach. It was truly a marvel of careful work. Obviously whoever worked here took great pride in the things they did, far past the point of simple quality control, well into perfectionism.

"Hello?" Gaius called out, trying to quell the unexplainable worry that had begun to knot in his stomach. "Is there anyone here?" As he spoke, his voice seemed to bounce back at him from thousands of tiny angles as the glassware distorted and reprojected his own voice. "I'm looking for work as a glassworker and I was told this was the place to come. Anyone?"
Gaius Sivet
Player

Words: 48143
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2012, 11:20 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Chevalier on June 26th, 2012, 7:04 pm

The very first person Gaius was met with was a young Human man stationed behind the counter were all monetary transactions took place. He had a neutral look on his face as she studied the scribbled words put upon a particular piece of parchment in front of him. As the Inartan entered he quickly allowed a smile to settle down upon his face, the common expression for greeting, though it felt somewhat hollow as if part of his attention was always on that parchment. "Welcome to the Inner Fire Glassworks, I'm afraid..."

"I'm not taking any apprentices!" came a voice from the back, clearly female. The rustling of feet grew ever closer until a red-haired woman appeared, entering from the exit to the outer wall section of her workplace. A pair of large gloves sat upon her hands traveling up onto her forearms. "Not after that last disaster. I get sent children with no knowledge of the craft and no elegance. No delicate touch. No delicate touch and they want to work with glass." with a huff she pulled the hefty gloves from her hands, dropping them down upon the counter while taking a second look at Gaius. Soot clung to nearly every inch of the woman's face as she peered at him more intently than her previous precursory glance.

"Hm. You're an Inartan, aren't you?" she finally spoke up again, hands dragging upward to her hips. Those cunning artisan's eyes darted around the immediate area. "And you want to work with glass...fine. Prove it." no sooner did she complete her words when a single digit from her now uncovered hand hooked around a medium sized cup, spun beautifully of white, blue, and golden glass rods, melted and swirled into an elegant pattern. By the handle she flicked it deftly at Gaius. To work with glass you had to have 'the touch', it was time to see if Gaius had learned how to properly handle fragiles, "Catch!"
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Words: 117750
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2011, 6:50 am
Office

Postby Gaius Sivet on June 27th, 2012, 12:59 am

Gaius watched as the cup spun threw the air, light arcing beautifully off of it as it traveled. In the small seconds that it traveled towards him, his only thoughts were short ones.

I'll have to catch it. Can't break. This woman's cracked. As the last thought hit him, he reflexively stretched out his hands and gently cradled the cup, taking the force and curling it protectively towards his body. It landed with a soft thump, no cracks or fractures. Gaius sighed slowly and carefully placed the cup on a nearby shelf.

"You'll have to try harder than that if you want to trick an Inartan into breaking something."
Gaius Sivet
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Chevalier on July 5th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Though she wouldn't make it too apparent, the soot covered woman let out a deep internal sigh. In retrospect it probably wasn't the best way to go about putting forth a practical application in the trade with some of her nicer work. "Hmph." she finally made some audible reaction to Gaius' nimble catch. Rubbing a hand across the bridge of her nose, she did little to remove the blackened residue that covered her face. In fact, all she managed to do was smear what was already there, and add a little extra from the back of her hand.

"Alright, here's how we'll do this. I'll take you as my apprentice. With a few conditions. The shop is run my way. You learn my way, then you do my way. You do good and you'll make plenty of money here. I'll start you at 7 gold mizas a day, a fair sight better than you'd make anywhere else. You break something though, you either buy it or you stay late making it over. That's how I work, so that's how you work. There's always business in a place like Syliras, so you'll always be busy. We'll see what kind of skills you've got, but there's little doubt you'll need to become better and faster whatever they are." and thus Leena had laid down the agreement. Apprentices had come and gone, some had learned more than others. She was always certain to ensure that they understood, she was the Master, and she was the owner of the shop. She had control and she wasn't about to ruin a good thing by making changes.

"Do we have a deal? I'm Leena Holbrad, what is your name, Inartan?" she held out a hand for the obligitory shake. If he was prepared to learn, despite any micromanaging personality she had, there was many wonderous things in the world of glass he could learn.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Office

Postby Gaius Sivet on July 6th, 2012, 1:20 am

Gaius listened carefully as the woman before him laid out her deal for him. She spoke quickly and with an air of succinct authority, but Gaius managed to keep track of her words. Slowly, he pieced everything together and felt he understood the terms. The woman thrust her hand towards him as she finished speaking.

"Do we have a deal?" she asked tersely. "I'm Leena Holbrad, what is your name, Inartan?" Gaius slowly took her hand and shook it once in a perfunctory gesture.

"My name is Gaius Sivet, and I would be glad to accept your terms. I understand I have much to learn and I know you will teach me, if I'm willing to learn. Now, where do we start?"
Gaius Sivet
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Chevalier on July 15th, 2012, 4:11 pm

"We start at the beginning. That's what I'd like to say, but this is a big city and everyone keeps breaking their glass, what with the planet spitting up and throwing a fit all the time. That means I stay busy, which means you're going to stay busy. You want to start now? That's fine, lets head back into the work area. I've got some mold blowing to do. My most common pieces are transports. Decanters, jugs, pitchers and the like. I'd like to get some custom stuff done, but I need to keep the stock up on the common objects." she began to inform Gaius, and with a wave of her hand she turned about on her heels and headed back into the main glassworking area past the front desk. It was lucky the place had some fresh air, being an outer wall unit within the Castle, since the ambient temperature from the surrounding air was so hot.

"To refresh your memory in case you've forgotten, mold-blowing is working glass into a pre-set mold, of which I have many. I need to keep at least two dozen of these pitchers..." she mentioned, pointing downward to one of her popular metal crafted molds, "In stock at all time. That's the most basic of glassworking, so it will allow me to see if you can create serviceable pieces before we move on to the harder stuff."

Secret :
Alrighty, you are officially employed by the Inner Fire, I will update your storyteller secrets to reflect this. If you want to work with mold blowing or what have you in a separate thread, you can feel free. This way those threads can work toward your needed work threads for a seasonal wage, as well as for gaining the skill required to become a better glass artisan!
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Office

Postby Ehati on May 2nd, 2013, 8:09 am

2nd of Spring 513 AV

Every time Ehati entered Inner Fire Glass, she was transported back home. The smells, the sights, the sounds, it all spoke to her of Wind Reach and the livelihood she had left behind when she chose to leave. She always felt homesick when she entered the shop, which was silly in her opinion. Home was where she was now. There wasn't much Skyinarta had that Syliras lacked. If there was anything truly strange, it was the lack of a volcanic heart, but she had long since gotten over the differences.

She had to shake the beckoning nolstalgia away, shrugging her shoulders to cast the feeling off like a cloak, and stepped deeper into Inner Glass Fires to circle through the shop and examine the wares on the shelves. The craftsmanship, she noted, was far better than what she had seen most others capable of back in Skyinarta, but it was much more flawless than anything she had seen before. She picked up something, a strange series of glass discs connected to eachother, and raised it up to see candlelight filter through the discs. It was beautiful.

Placing it down delicately, she moved along. While she would have liked to have it, the little bauble would have been useless in her apartment. There were no windows to give it light and the hearth would only offer subpar light, as the candle had. She knew coloured glass was prettier in natural light.

There were figurines on another shelf and she stopped to give those a better look. Lifting, weighing, observing, she found them to be what she wanted. Nothing spoke to her more than a glass figure like this. It was the one thing she missed the most.

She looked, but did not find what she sought. Realising this, she approached the clerk and nodded to him in greeting. What he thought about her she didn't care, so she went right into her query and request.

"I want a figurine, of medium size and dyed red. I see you don't have one here, not in the form I'm looking for. So I'd like to order one. It would be an eagle, as proud as you can make one look."
Sera Ehati, 3rd Wing, Orange Company, 1st Regiment, Silver Quadron.
Ehati
Knighted by the Basilisk.

Words: 40220
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2013, 6:57 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next