Completed [The Coast of Ahnatep] Dance of Sword and Sand

Corneliun does some training on the coast.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

[The Coast of Ahnatep] Dance of Sword and Sand

Postby Corneliun on January 4th, 2013, 12:15 am

10th Winter 512, Day 3 of Shuuda
The Coast of Ahnatep-Morning- 9th Bell

It was here on the Coast that Corneliun Frik, the mixed race had brought himself. The azure ocean lapped at the sand, reflecting the sunlight that came down upon it. It was here that was the coolest, the waves breaking under the force of the wind, the breakwater reaching up for the sky, only to then be dragged back down into the water depths. But it was here that Corneliun could bring himself to train in any form possible. He cast his coat down to the sand, his torso bare as he looked towards the morning sun, his pale skin reflecting the light, the ornate tattoo of some monstrous serpent covering his left shoulder. He ran a hand through his hair, tired eyes looking to the sun, before he drew his sword.

Although it may of seemed like a strange thing to do, there was meaning behind this. It allowed Corneliun to become use to the blade, to understand its weight, its length and how it was an extension to his body. He swung the bastard sword a few times, clearing his mind of thought and focusing only on the actions of the live blade in his hands. He took a solid stance, knees bent slightly as he remembered what his father had taught him over the years. He firstly wrapped both his hands around the hilt, holding his grip firmly as he drew the weapon up and to his outside, the tip of the sword being pointed slightly downwards. Had there been a person at the end of the point, they would of noticed his aim for either their head or throat. The hilt was held up beside his head, hovering mere inches away from his temple.

He held the stance for a while, his muscles memorising it before he brought the blade swinging down him diagonally, the tip slicing the air before he took a large thrust forward with it. Yet as quickly as the man had performed this execution, he had brought the blade back, and a different stance was taken. The blade this time was lowered to the middle, his solid stance retained yet again. His shoulders were lower, his body closed up, one hand closer to the cross guard, the other towards the pommel. It was this stance that allowed the long edge to slice cleanly at enemies, whilst also protecting the form. He inhale and swung the blade forth, a race of swings and movement, moving faster and faster.

Those who looked upon Corneliun no doubt saw him as a fool, a pale foreigner that had been touched by the morning sun, who fought the air and wind. But that was no case for him. In the mind of the man he fought an enemy, of a creation of his on dreams, his greatest opponent ever to exist. Himself. He remembered a phase his father once used in his training, and although he was young at the time, a foolish boy, it was words that stuck in Cornelliun's mind.
If you know your enemies and yourself, you will never be at risk in any battles. If you do not know your enemies but know yourself, you will win some and loose some. If you do not know either, you will fail and fail again with every battle you take.

He drew the sword back for a moment, a defensive stance being taken, as if blocking a blow, before his own blade came hurtling down, a spray of sand being cast forward. He was lost in his own world now, of mighty combat, and his actions reflected that. It seemed as if he was dancing with the blade itself, learning its steps, its fluid movements, quick twists against his shadow and the warming sands beneath him. But right now, even with his speed and competence, Corneliun could not defeat himself. Or more over now was not the time. He returned the blade to its scabbard, taking in deep breaths, cooling his head, and drawing in the sea air. After a moment of rest, he would start his cycle of training once more.
Last edited by Corneliun on January 9th, 2013, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom..."

Common | Arumenic | Isur | Thought
Corneliun
Player

Words: 74077
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on January 5th, 2013, 1:26 am

Esha stood quickly and clapped. Singh stayed seated in the sand in which Esha had dragged them to. "Beautiful. So smooth, though a little rough on the defense, you are very good. Mind I ask who you was your teacher?" Esha's own sword was sitting by Singh. Singh was still a little annoyed that her sister had dragged them here to sit in the water and then dragged them back to go and retrieve her sword when Esha had discovered the tattooed man.

Singh's calculating eye's watched the man like a hawk. He did have a sword and as much as she trusted her sister to be careful she didn't trust this man to not be dumb. She was also a little mad at the man for dragging Esha's attention to him. Today was supposed to be her day with Esha at the beach. They had it all planned out and then this... place thing, ruined it. Singh didn't speak but simply watched the man. Esha, Singh could see, was practically bouncing with energy after watching to man practice.

Singh had her own opinions on the man and beautiful was not her words. His swordplay, while he had some skill, was too forced. He didn't appear to have a strategy for trying to defeat his imagination. It didn't have to be detailed but he seemed to loose himself at the end. He was using too much energy in the beginning and causing himself to not have enough towards the end of the fight. While Singh didn't really practice with her own weapon of choice as much as Esha did, she did watch and observe. Learning weaknesses of those at practice but also their strengths. His was pursuit, but he gave too much to have enough to continue on.

Singh was in a okay mood. And if the man asked her opinion on what she thought she would give it to him, though she thought that he would be better off getting Esha's right now. She was still upset and a little tired from all the extra walking.

Last edited by Singh Re Naphu on January 15th, 2013, 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Words: 50349
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 1:04 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on January 5th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Rough, indeed. Corneliun knew he was no master of the blade, that his moves were on occasion uncontrolled and wild. And despite the words of the one who spoke, Corneliun could not help but shake his head. Although his teacher, his own father, would indeed be proud of his progress, the mixed blood could not accept those words. And besides, he could spot the disapproving look of the woman who remained silent, and seated. He knew already the flaws of his moves, and her eyes helped in amplifying it. Too much energy was lost, undirected, there was no focus. But right now, even Corneliun could not help that. He let the Eypharian give her stares, before he addressed the other.

“You complement me too much;” he gave a nod, a sign of respect to those who stood above him in the hierarchy “My skill is weak and unfocused. Or perhaps more focused with the things of the mind. It is after all very easy to swing a sword around without a target. As no doubt you and your… companion would agree.”
Corneliun knew not their relationship, so keeping it open was perhaps for the better to keep it a mystery as opposed to begin guessing. There were indeed similarities between them, and perhaps the two would reveal their nature to each other. He gave a smile, remembering his manners and place, keeping a firm hold on his tongue.
“As for my teacher, he was my late father,” he answered the Eypharian “And now, I simply practice what I was taught from him.”

His eyes for a moment drifted to the other, a quick glance over, remembering the face, the dark hair and eyes before withdrawing them. She seemed he thought at first annoyed, and perhaps at first it was indeed directed at him, but then he thought about her companion. If the two had come together, then surely they also they were meant to spend time together. So he gave a whisper, a subtle hint followed by a slow incline of the head “I think, your companion wishes you spend time with her rather than me.”
"...He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom..."

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on January 5th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Singh continued to watch the man with steel eye's. He at first had his eye's on Singh, but he then turned them to the excited Esha, as did Singh. His first words had Singh raising an eyebrow but she lowered it as he continued. Modest, Singh approved.

"As no doubt you and your… companion would agree." Singh simply nodded in agreement and before she could do anything Esha was shaking her head, "More like a shadow." Esha spared a playful glance to her glig. Singh simply kept her steel face in reply. Esha shrugged and continued to listen to the man.

"Ah, father's. They do teach us much and expect more in return. At least, that is to say for our parents." Esha made hand motions as she talked. Singh shook her head at her sister, silly girl.

Singh caught the man observing her, though it was quick he seemed to conclude something before he spoke in a whisper, "I think, your companion wishes you spend time with her rather than me."

Singh nodded her head to the man but turned her gaze to Esha. Esha looked back at her glig and shrugged, "Singh can sit and watch. I'm always with her, what's a little fun for me?"

Singh rose an eyebrow at her sister as a challenge. Esha's shoulder's slumped a little and she turned to Singh completely, " Aw, can't we show the man a little. I even already have my sword. After words we can go and look for shells and I'll buy dinner this night." While it was a good bargain Singh shook her head 'no'.

Singh was dumb founded when Esha actually started to pout. Singh shook her head. Esha clasped her four hands and looked to her sister again, pleading. Singh sighed and rubbed her temple. Looking between the two, Esha's sword, and the water Singh sighed, "Fine." Esha clapped her hands and began to turn to the man but Singh stopped her, "No weapons." Esha's shoulder slumped and she turned to Singh. It was Esha's turn to look dumb folded.

"But, how are we supposed to.." Singh held up a hand for her sister to stop, Singh looked to the man, "If he cannot manage with his sword on his own. Then he will not last with you're plunder of energy." Esha simply slumped, she turned to the man and shrugged, "The great Singh has spoken. She won't bend anymore but she's willing to forfeit some time, take what you are given while she is content." Esha spared a glance at Singh, Singh dropped the steel gaze and left it to a soft nod. She knew her sister was simply trying to help the man become better, but that didn't mean she still held some jealousy.

Pushing that aside she stood and grabbed Esha's weapon. She held it to her side and out stretched her hand for the man to place his sword, " Nothing bad will come to your blade." Esha nodded in agreement. Singh rolled her eye's at her sister's excitement.

Last edited by Singh Re Naphu on January 15th, 2013, 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on January 5th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Corneliun watched the two talk, his ears pricking at key moments. He listened carefully to their words, analysing how they reacted with each other. Judging by their conversation it was clear the two were indeed related, siblings no doubt, with the woman who remained seated having her name revealed. Singh. He made a mental note of it, but also made sure not to use it straight away, he was not sure on where he stood with her just yet. The name of the other Eypharian was still a mystery.

He still found it somewhat amusing as he watched the expressions of the siblings change, their words becoming heated, before finally and agreement was met. Singh's sister seemed intent on showing him how to improve himself in combat, no matter what was said. He let Singh's words about holding himself wash over, he had heard the words enough times before. But then he saw her hand extend out, asking for his bastard sword.
"Nothing bad will come to your blade."

For a moment, the mixed blood hesitated, a flash of uncertainty was more than obvious in his face. His father's blade was precious to him, it had after all originally been his grandfather's, but after time it was passed down to the son, and now to him. It was not something he could lightly had over without a second though. His eyes narrowed, his focus was completely on the woman before him. Trust with the races that existed above him was always difficult, to him there was always a trick, a trick that he generally stopped before it got too far. He threw the thought to one side, and carefully passed the sword in its scabbard to Singh.
"Nothing better," his words were no threat, but they were serious enough to get the point across that to him this was no simple blade. Corneliun then turned his attention then to the other Eypharian, a polite nod "So, what are you going to show me mighty one? What will I learn today?"

His focus was split, for the part to keep an eye on his blade, the other to listen to the words and actions of the other. It was indeed hard work, but something he could barely do with the subtle glances. He now had to entertain of course, his audience was before him, and so he had to cast away most of his worries. So he fixed a smile on his face, pushing back the negative thoughts of what could possibly go wrong, of what was truly weighing on his mind. For now it was time to play the fool.

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on January 5th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Singh understood the mans uneasiness to give over the blade. Singh herself had a blade in her hand, the man was out numbered, he was still a little tired, and seeing as his father taught him all he know's Singh concluded that the blade was probably passed down to him. She bowed in respect when the man laid his terms in simple words. Nothing bad would come to his precious item.

Singh turned and walked 10 feet away from the two before setting the swords, carefully, beside her. Turning to face them she sat and watched as Esha began her play. Singh was always awed by her sister's love of fighting. A performance is nothing less than what she expected to happen.

Singh stayed silent as her sister began to think over what best he should work on, sighing when Esha simply couldn't put to words what she wanted Singh called out, "Conserve energy. He's tired but would be in a fight at this point." Esha nodded at her sister and began to talk.

Or slightly use her charm, Singh rolled her eye's at her sister as she started with, "Mighty one. You hear that Singh? Esha the mighty!" Singh made hands for her sister to focus on the man and watched as Esha finally did. " Well first let's try to conserve what energy you have left." Esha took off her shoes and threw them over to Singh, " In battles with sword's you are most likely going to be fighting someone you deem worthy. Which will either be someone equal or great skilled than you. Which means you will either have to keep pace for a while or continually block to save your hide." Esha took an offensive stance in the sand, "Now, what we are going to work on is you using moves that can be both offensive and defensive but also keep you from wasting your energy this early in the game."

Singh made not a sound but simply studied the two. If she saw something that needed to be fixed or could be added she would say, but for now all was well. Though the smile on the mans face made her a little suspicious.

What surprised her was when Esha kicked sand at the man's feet to get his full attention, "I do realize that Singh may be the pretty quiet one who has you're blade but I'm trying to help you. Pretend I'm Singh. And if it wasn't for our clothing I could go sit and pretend to be Singh and her me. So stop it. This is a 'fight' and if you loose your sword in it you cannot try and focus on it, you focus on your enemy. In this case it happens to be me." Singh simply nodded, while she wouldn't take the part of being Esha, the twins could be the other if they pleased.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on January 5th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Corneliun tried his best to keep his focus, but it was difficult. He had already tired, his mind hazy and unfocused, but still he did his best. He followed Esha’s words- the name he had noted when she announced glee at her title- matching a stance, allowing himself to be pulled about and corrected. In a sense he found it rather sentimental, his father would often push him about, correcting his stance and hold. Form after all was just as important as using the blade. Her intentions were good, so he tried to listen to her words carefully. A balance of offensive and defensive must be obtained in order to win the fight.

Yet Corneliun’s attention kept sliding, his focus returning to his sword, or at least until Esha snapped at him. For a moment he recoiled, a sudden few steps back as he received a scowling. For a moment he was silent, absorbing her words, his glance turning to Singh. She looked surprised by the sudden outburst, and she nodded with agreement to what was said. But at first Corneliun did not speak, he simply inclined his head up to her, his eyes meeting hers. He was thinking, carefully, all thoughts of the world had vanished as he focused himself.

“If this is a fight,” his gaze for an instant became sharp, full of fire and he stared onto Esha “Then why have you not used my ignorance to teach me a more firm lesson? Why have you not thrown me to the floor?”
It was as he spoke he advanced, taking a step close every time, the space growing smaller, an element of fearlessness growing, as if this fool had for an instant cast away the simplicities of being a humble creature into something much more intimidating. His shoulders rolled back, his eyes remained locked, his fingers flexing as they were brought into a fist. By the tone of his voice however, it was not Esha he was talking to, it was another, a brief grasp at approval, before he remembered himself.
“If this is a fight, then why have you not put me down?”
It was cold, bitter, there was no care in his words, they were simple honest truths. But as soon as the venom of the words left his lips he backed away, the fire having vanished. A simple fool remained, but it was a fool who had pointed his focus onto something.

“Shall we start again oh Mighty Esha?” he gave a grin “Promise this time I will listen to your words with more thought.”
It was honesty that kept Corneliun alive, and this time he was more set on focusing himself, after all they were only trying to help, even if more deep rooted feelings did rise up from within. To maintain calm and work with a smile, to keep the world turning, to keep it all moving, that was his duty now. So he gave a bow to the ‘Mighty’ Esha, “Shall we?”

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on January 5th, 2013, 11:46 pm

When the man had advance on Esha Singh didn't even know she had quickly unscathed Esha's blade and was holding it like a dagger until the man backed away. Esha had stayed calm through the mans foul words and made no movement against him. Singh slowly lowered the blade and glanced at her sister. Esha looked to her sister and slowly smiled, "Sit, put that away. Don't be a hypocrite." Following Esha's words Singh replace the long sword and sat herself down. Though her sister was calm Singh was poised for action if the man went over board.

Singh continued to watch, her hawk eye's back. Esha's focus was back on the man, "Promises can be broken. Your actions will show me whether or not you can. Now, the reason I haven't set you on your ass is because I'm trying to get you ready." Esha paused and looked the man over, "Set your stance." Extai walked over the the man and shook her head. Singh watched her twin, Esha had a way when it came to training, she would be soft when setting you up so when you came at her you would be surprised at her force, grip, and intensity.

Esha's feather touch moved the man's arm's farther part from his body and then moved his left arm more forward. His torso would move with his arm if he let Esha do her work. Esha pulled his left elbow down and moved his right arm in a stance that would allow him to simply shoot out under his left arm or take a swipe at someone's head. Esha stood back and looked at her work. Smiling she explained, "Your left arm is a guard. It will take most of the damage from an onslaught, now what you have to be careful of is the fact that if you lift it to block a blow to the face you have to watch out for your ribs." She took up the same stance and showed him what she meant, "That's when your right arm comes into play. You can do a number of things but you need to be careful not to do something dumb." She moved his left arm to show that he was protecting his face and then she put one hand near his side like she would hit him there. Using one of her other arms she leaded his right arm to her arm, "Here you can either grab my wrist and twist or you could try and grab both of those wrists."

"Do you see? Here you can be both defensive and offensive with out using too much energy. This can easily be done with a sword or two. Though I don't recommend it with just a sword. As you opponent can easily stab your arm and you have a nasty injury. Come let's do this in real time, set up and I'll attack. Make sure you don't get your feet tangled or trip in the sand." Esha waited until the man was set before she glanced at Singh.

Singh hadn't said a word nor had she moved. She simply watched them, her gaze judging the man and keeping a close eye on her sister. She trusted her sister but they were in close quarters and she couldn't see his right arm.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Corneliun on January 6th, 2013, 8:29 am

Corneliun covered a snort when she spoke. Although he did not doubt her ability, he found her confidence and phrasing still amusing. Her sister Singh of course, seemed to see him as a threat, her reaction was clear that his words were not appreciated, that they were little more than poison. Which in turn, they were, so the mixed blood composed himself once more and obeyed the words of Esha.

He took his stance, one that had obviously been trained into him, but as soon as it was taken the touch of Esha moved him. His arms were moved, pulled about, something he committed with little restraint. He allowed her to mold him, her words ringing out in his head. The left arm to guard, the right arm to attack. He could see her logic, but it was yet to be a preference to him. Simple punches and bruises were of very little issue to him, after all no pain, no gain. Yet he gave small smiles in understanding, an attempt to break the ice that had formed.
“Come let's do this in real time, set up and I'll attack. Make sure you don't get your feet tangled or trip in the sand."

He paused for a moment, a quick blink before he slowly took his stance. He did not receive the time to protest, she had already taken her stance and now felt obliged to participate . It was for real now, with no immediate way of getting out of it. He knew it would anger her more if he simply let himself receive her hits, and it would no doubt anger her more if he simply defended himself. He had to find a way to react. He could feel Singh’s glare upon him again, the ever watchful and untrusting gaze. It was there he had to watch himself now. He held his stance, his brow creasing as he focused. He watched her hands, waiting for a flurry of punches to come racing down on him. She had after all got him comfy now, and playtime was over.

He swallowed, making a quick adjustment of his feet, his mind trying to think clearly. He decided in himself his next move, that when a blow came down that he would grab it, using the momentum of the swing with him. With the act of movement he would side step, whilst continuing to pull down, releasing her at the key moment. It caused the least amount of damage and it was something that was both offensive and defensive, and would require little effort on his part. So that is what Corneliun did, or at least tried to.

Corneliun
Player

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on January 6th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Singh smirked when the man appeared at a unease but he quickly reset his feet and appeared to set up for something. Singh rose an brow and watched her sister. Esha's stance mirrored his except her feet were set up as if she would full sprint and her body was loose. Singh looked to the man, he was tense and very aware of Singh.

Esha didn't pay heed to her sister only to the man or was poised and ready. That's when it happened. Esha quickly shuffled to the right a few feet and then charged. While the man wasn't ready for her to not come straight forward he was ready for Esha's initial attack. He took a punch to the side but when Esha went to follow through with another one he grabbed it. Side stepping Esha, Singh watched as he pulled her back behind him and then let go.

Esha fell into the sand face first. Singh didn't make a move but watched her sister closely. Esha didn't waste a second, quickly rolling onto her back she pole vaulted back unto her feet and took up her stance. brushing sand from her face Esha smiled, " Very good, you learn well. But it's not over yet. Now, instead of using what I showed you. Use something of your own."

Singh knew what Esha was going to do. She would take a quick run at him and then use the sand to her advantage. Sliding between he legs she would grab the sand and throw it in his face before come out behind him. She would use her forearms to hit behind his knees sending him to the ground. Esha would then have to quickly turn to one side, stand, and take a few steps back. Whether or not the man would set up with his legs apart would affect this. But Singh trusted the man to do as Esha expected.

Singh made no facial expression when either of them glanced at her, she simply watched while playing with a crab that she had discovered under a rock near her.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets