Closed Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Do the colours stir your heart, as they do mine? (Natalia)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Johanne on January 15th, 2013, 1:18 pm

57th Winter, 512AV

By the twilight, Alhaes Park grew dusky, and the colours seemed to merge, like a rainbow disturbed into a smorgasbord of colours. Johanne stared out across the pool, watching the fadeong plants sway and swirl over the reflecting waters, their overhanging leaves trailing in the pond and leaving ripples spreading outward. The light in the park had begun to darken to the shades of night, and Johanne took advantage of the last daylight hours before Syna fell beyond the horizon.

The skyglass bench below her began to glow slightly while the sun set, illuminating the area around the pond. She heard a rustling in the leaves behind her: a bobcat she assumed, or some squirrel. Johanne had come to the Alhaes Park many times before, but she always tried to come just before or just after a rest. The park could get crowded sometimes, and it always seemed to beautiful to Johanne to be disturbed by shouting children and arguing adults. The glittering skyglass cast crystal reflections across the pools, and a rainbow of reds and blues and purples shone within the air. The prismflies lit up the air like dangling lanterns. It was a wholly colourful, wholly beautiful scene.

Johanne held within her fragile fingers an ink-stick; a remarkable invention that allowed her to take her ink and pen with her, instead of carrying around a quill and pot. Resting her parchment on the skyglass bench, bent over so that she lay her elbows on the crystal and could write with ease, Johanne paused.

The Winter was a terrible time for her writing. Her birthday was in this season (gone uncelebrated again, as always), as was the anniversary of her leaving her home, seemingly forever: though it was a comfort to know that home would always lay behind. The cold froze her joints and made it painful for her to move. Even now, she shivered beneath her warm cloak and her earth-coloured scarf, her fingers exposed to the winter air, colder with the oncoming night. She had not written anything worthwhile in weeks. She had nothing to say, and no words to say it with.

But the Alhaes Park was truly beautiful, and there was nothing Johanne was inspired by if not beauty. She rolled the ink stick in her fingers and stared out over the gleaming pond once more, thinking. In a flurry of movement and an intake of breath, Johanne brought the ink to the page and began to write.

If I could fill my birdcage chest
with prismflies that burned and fluttered,
would the night be afraid? Would Winter melt
in terror?

If within my wrists there lay a secret flame,
as small as scars and hope,
and your lips were as kindle when pressed
to my skin, what then would follow
but a forest fire and sacred laughter?

Together we will warm the frozen wastelands
of the human heart. Together we will watch the Gods weep
when their puppet-strings are set afire, and we are truly
free.

Johanne lifted the ink stick from the page. The parchment was filled with the quick, strange poem she had written. Quickly, her heart beating, she read over the odd verses, written to an unknown man, longing for something that her conscious mind did not understand. Sighing, she straightened up, sitting with stiff back on the skyglass bench, leaving the parchment and ink stick lying beside her. She looked out over the illuminated pond, still clinging to the colours of the day.

Her words were not as beautiful as Alhaes. It was pitiful for her to try.

“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Natalia on January 20th, 2013, 12:41 am

Natalia lived for these kinds of nights.

The air, crisp and cool knocked at the entrance to her nose, wanting entrance. She took a deep breath in, savoring the feeling of pure in her chest. The familiar smell of various herbs wandered her senses, making it hard to concentrate her eyes on one area around her. The flowers were illuminated by skyglass lamps centered perfectly around the path that she was following. Purple, red, blue, pink; colors flew around her like the prismflies buzzing in her ear.

Fewer and fewer people could be seen as they retreated back to their homes, cozy and clean. Natalia imagined the fireplaces warming their cold toes and singing a loving lullaby of the crackling fire. As they were fast asleep, she was on the brink of bliss.

She brought her face to the sky, waiting for the direct time Syna would disappear and Leth would come, shining down. Waiting, waiting, waiting. It would come. It has already come.

In a blinding flash of white light, Natalia changed.

Long, white hair as pure as the snow below her tumbled down her back, shimmering with the rays of moonlight. Opaque blue horns adorned the sides of her head, dancing with the colors of the reflecting pools of rainbow water. Her skin was pale, so sickly pale that it glowed. The only things that didn't change were the now-too-short royal blue gown that she wore, and the basket weaved from twigs, now on the dirt path from shaky hands not able to hold anymore.

Her purple lips formed into a smile that was not the same anymore. Yes, she lived for these nights.

Natalia
Far away from home.

Words: 37669
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Johanne on January 20th, 2013, 9:00 am

The ink on the yellowing page before her dried quickly in the cool, dry winter air. These words were forever stained upon the parchment she had payed hard earned kina for, something she had stained the flesh of odd men and women to earn. There were eternal: or rather, they would be, until the paper crumbled, and Johanne's memory faded away into the winding river of Tanroa.

Looking down onto the page, illuminated from below with the near-bright glowing skyglass, she gnawed at her bottom lip in frustration, still bent long-limbed over the bench. Perhaps if she had been inside her cramped apartment when she wrote the poem, she might have thought it perhaps a little worthy. But she was in Alhaes Park, where prismflies were more illuminating than her words, and the fadeong more beautiful than her heart. She had wasted precious ink on these mediocre verses. She should have saved that ink for someone truly great.

Creaking spine and cracking joints, Johanne straightened up, folding her hands in her laps and ignoring the stiffness and the pain that resided inside her bones. The parchment lying on the bench beside her, she looked out over the pond, thinking of nothing in particular. She enjoyed the slight swaying of the leaves over the water, the dancing of the prismflies, the skyglass benches glowing brighter with every passing moment that brought night closer. She tried hard not to think about her inadequacies and inabilities. She only focused on the scene before her: poetry come alive.

And suddenly, as the colours of the park bled into deep blues and blacks, and the skyglass benches glowed with an intense fierceness, there was a blinding flash of white light to Johanne's left. Crying out from the suddenness, she whipped her head around, her eyes startled, her mouth open. In the afterglow of the explosion of light stood an Ethaefal: tall, her blue horns spiralling backwards from her temples, her hair as long and white as snow, her skin shimmering slightly even beneath the shadows of the trees. Johanne found herself standing, staring openly. She had never seen an Ethaefal transform before, even having lived in the city of the stars for nigh on two years. And here was one, newly brought before their god in their intended shape.

Her verses seemed all the more inadequate in front of this celestial beauty. The Ethaefal were poetry personified. Johanne was wasted ink.

“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Natalia on February 2nd, 2013, 5:11 am

Natalia bowed deeply into the ground, her long tendrils touching the ground where the snow lay. She rested on one knee, her eyes closed. Her porcelain skin made her to look to be a statue decorating Alhaes.

These were her favorite moments. Though to be in what she considered to be her most venerable state, it was also her most raw. The crescent moon was high in the sky, shining down upon her. She felt at peace, knowing it was only Leth and herself to surround her. No one else would be out around Dusk rest. Or so she thought.

"Leth, I am one with you.
I praise you for be almighty and wonderful, you rays shone upon me with so much strength.
I know that I will forever be alive with you, and you will never let me die.

Leth, you protect me. You give me guidance.
I know that you lead me down the right path.
Your ways might not always be as I have planned, but I know you have done it for a reason.

I pray to you for reassurance. I feel lonely. I feel sad. The only one who truly understands me is you.

Please, Leth. Please make my existence worthy of you. I do not want to live a life where I cannot please you.
Tell me what you have put me here for.

Tell me all the things I cannot comprehend."

Natalia was lost completely in prayer. She didn't move a muscle, nor made a peep until a couple chimes later when she had finally risen from a bow. She was very much caught off guard when her blurry eyes fixated on a human girl, gaping at her from a bench.

"Oh," she said, startled and a hand on her chest. "You frightened me." Her voice was smooth and rich like molasses.

Of all things, she was the one who was afraid of the girl. She knew that residents living in Lhavit were quite used to the Eth, but she could still not help herself from having paranoia. Residing in Alvadas had probably done her soul more good than harm.

Natalia
Far away from home.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Johanne on February 6th, 2013, 11:44 am

The stunning child of Leth crouched down into the white snow, which seemed to be but an extension of her hair, as wisps traced along the white down. Her eyes closed, her porcelain pink lips vibrated, her expression heavenly and serene. The Alhaes Park grew dark, blues and purples swirling in the air around them as the wild djed flew rogue, the fadeong blossoming in the park: just one human girl, and an immortally beautiful being who had touched the heavens and conversed with the gods in a state of bliss. One who had everything, then fell. Into the churning waves of humanity and mortality.

That the Ethaefal could pray, as Johanne thought she was, after being so removed from her heavenly abode seemed strange and noble. Johanne, if she had fallen, would have shied away, taken it as scripture that she was not meant to be something, that she had no value to the heavens. But the Ethaefal with the crystal blue horns and the quivering lips was a testament to a perseverance and a beauty that Johanne had never felt within her before. Her eyes remained wide, leaning forward on the skyglass seat: never speaking, simply watching, watching faith unfold in a private and pure way, something Johanne did not understand.

Both were caught in thought, it seemed. In any case, Johanne was startled from reflection and observation when the porcelain statue moved, rising smoothly and elegantly, her skin gleaming in the night. Her horns melted beautifully into the blues of the djed that floated around the park. If only Johanne could capture that image forever. (Perhaps her words would do that later tonight - her fingers almost twitched for the ink sticks and the parchment beside her.)

The Ethaefal's hand flew to her chest like starlight, her voice breaking the silence of the park, lit only by skyglass and prismflies. "No, no," she protested, quickly. Her voice seemed cracked and high-pitched to Johanne, after the lovely voice of the Fallen. "It's my fault, I'm intruding. I am so, so sorry." Blushing mightily, she turned quickly, gathering up her parchment and her inksticks, all prepared to beat a quick exit from the Ethaefal who so obviously deserved this quiet space of reflection more than she did.

Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Natalia on March 8th, 2013, 6:37 am

Natalia regarded the human with a serene smile, a look of concern wrinkling her statuesque features. The girl looked like a doe caught in the sights of a bow, an expression Natalia had not seen too many times. Not toward herself, anyway. She never changed in front of anyone besides her one, very good friend.

The hand at her chest now rested by her side. She grasped the blue cotton fabric there, wiping the condensation dry from her palms. "No, it's alright." she said to the girl. "I should have been more... observant." she admitted. Her stammering heart slowing to its normal bumping rhythm as the adrenaline made its way from her body. "Please, stay. This place is as much as mine as it is yours."

She slowly made her way over to the bench where the girl so suddenly stood from and sat down in attempts to make her feel more comfortable. She lingered there, taking in deep breaths of the cold winter air. She looked up to the human and patted the skyglass next to her. "Take a seat." she offered. "Something like this is too beautiful not to revel in."

Natalia
Far away from home.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Johanne on March 8th, 2013, 1:05 pm

With a clatter the ink sticks she had brought with her clattered onto the ground in a spectacular fashion, rolling beneath the skyglass bench and the other away from Johanne. She sighed, her hasty retreat from one so perfect and deserving dashed: she was at least tied to the spot for the moment. Crouching down, with her parchment on a pile on the bench, the poem on the top in full view of the Ethaefal's eyes, Johanne scrambled through the snow on all fours like a fool. She had no right to disturb the Ethaefal's peace. Johanne had no claim to tranquility on this world. Who was she to demand anything?

The fallen's voice was lovely and serene. It was all unfair to Johanne; that one could hold such beauty and then have the source of it snatched away in a single moment. Johanne kept herself from staring out right at the crystalline horns and her shimmering skin, reflected in the light of the Alhaes Park. For one who had lived in the city of the stars for near two years, still the Ethaefal left her breathless, with their beauty and their melancholy. The woman before her made excuses for Johanne.

"No! No! You needn't be observant or anything. I'm disturbing, I shouldn't have been in a place such as this anyway, it's not like it helps..." Johanne rambled in the snow, snatching up the ink stick before standing awkwardly, her long limbs preventing grace. Her cheeks were red and her neck felt warm, and her words ran away from her like spooked gazelles. The woman herself did not keep tracks on her words sometimes: they bubbled out of her. Too many in her soul that could not be transferred to paper. All that came out was mediocre poetry. Like today. "Really, the place is more yours than mine. You fit in here. I do not." Blushing, Johanne darted forward to gather her papers, before turning to leave.

But the Ethaefal sat gracefully and spoke again, binding Johanne in the spot. She had met very few Ethaefal, and been able to talk to less. Her voice was mersmerising, knowing she had spoken with the same soul to Leth himself. "Well..." Johanne hesitated: think of the stories this woman might know... think of the things she could have seen... "It is beautiful..." Still she did not sit. Still she clutched her poetry to her chest and hesitated; afraid of the beauty before her. Afraid of her own inadequacy.

Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Natalia on March 8th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Natalia had to stifle the laugh that tried to emerge from her lips. The girl, so flushed and hasty, was something she was too used to seeing. She reminded Natalia so much of herself; herself in her earthbound form. Inside, Natalia didn't feel different than she did in her own human form. She felt nearly the same. She wondered how the circumstances would change if they had met in the daytime, when Natalia herself looked and acted much of the same accord of this young girl.

When the contents clattered, Natalia acted to help the girl, bending down to retrieve the stick, but her attention was caught. She eyed the parchment that laid beside her with interest. The Ethaefal tried to stay subtle while reading it, trying not to intrude. A smile formed on her lips as the girl once again tried to rush away.

"Yes, it is. And so is your poem." Natalia said, waiting for the startled response of the human. She raised her eyebrows to add with her smile. "Your words remind me of a friend of mine. In Alvadas." she started, looking down at the hands in her lap. "You both flow the same, like crickets jumping from a frog." She made a face at her strange anomaly and paused for a couple moments. Looking back up to the girl, she continued. "I would really like it if you stayed. What is your name?"

Natalia
Far away from home.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Johanne on March 12th, 2013, 2:40 am

Johanne did not notice the smirk of well-meaning amusement on the Ethaefal of Leth, nor did she see that the celestial creature bent forward to help her retrieve the fallen ink stick. It was not something Johanne would have believed if she had seen it, either. She was a mortal and this woman had fallen from the heavens. She had spoken in eternal rhythm with the moon God himself, and Johanne had never received any favour from the Gods in her life. To be helped by one who had seen such beauty was something alien to Johanne, and in her mind, not something she deserved in the least.

Straightening, gathering up her parchment and pressing it to her less-than-endowed chest, the still-drying ink of her mediocre and pretentious poetry smudged, staining the front of her forest green bodice. Johanne did not notice yet, but when the Ethaefal complimented her scrawlings, her eyebrows raised and she looked down instinctually at the parchment. "My poem? You read-- Oh." Johanne sighed, seeing the obscured words, now illegible as well as terrible. "Well, it's gone. For the best, really. It had no ... substance, no feeling." It was almost as though the human was talking to herself, berating her own lacking poetic abilities. Sighing, still stood, still awkward, still tense, waiting until she knew the Ethaefal would not take offence at her mortal seeming.

The Ethaefal's analogy was an odd one, but it was inventive and spontaneous. Johanne smiled softly, slowly warming to the Ethaefal's hospitality, offering to share this place of beauty with her. "I am Johanne... Johanne Verkir." She smiled softly, performing an odd little nervous curtsy of deference. "And ... yours?"

Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Deep Rivers Run Quiet.

Postby Elysium on April 26th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Johanne

XP:
Writing +2
Observation +3
Rhetoric +2

Lore:
The Unknown Lethaefal
How to Write a Poem
How an Ethaefal Transforms

Natalia

XP:
Observation +3
Socialization +2

Lore:
How to Observe Leth
Johanne Verkir, the Poet

Notes: Another lovely beginning. I'm sad to see this thread die! If you have any issues, please PM me. :)

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)