Start Of The Year Festival

Come and pitch in ideas!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the development forum for the Suvan Sea. The Suvan is a place of great adventure and undiscovered wonders, and far below where the air touches is a place where those things are being defined. Everything is worked on down in the deep, and anyone is welcome to join. Join us as we collaborate!

Postby Cascade on January 31st, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hey all! So as suggested, we're going to be cooking up some festivals. Coming up soon is the Start Of The Year Festival, which happens every 1st Spring, or the Valterrian's anniversary.

Here are some of the basics about it (thank you to those who have suggested so far!):
  • It's literally going to be a colorful festival.
  • Those in the Southern Suvan Sea gather and tie their boats together every 1st of Spring, similar to the Anchorage in the Northern Sea.
  • Open to all.

Here are some things we can brainstorm about:
  • Name for the festival. In the Fratava language.
  • Festival items that are up for sale/barter.
  • Events/activities
  • Anything else you can think of |:)

I already have some ideas in mind that I will keep as a surprise, but of course, I know you guys have a lot of excellent thoughts and I'd like to note them down.

Toodles!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Maurelle on February 17th, 2013, 11:27 am

Since nobody has posted, I’ll be the one to man up and give you some of my ideas! :)

[Items for sale]

[colorful jewelry]
    • Since the festival is colorful. I thought the idea of it selling colorful jewelry would be quite good! The main object of selling could be painted wooden beads. Everyone could arrange them how they want, they could be made into necklaces, bracelets, put into hair or pretty much anything.
    • The sea is full of precious stones, so for the more expensive ones, there could always be beads made from actual stones, silver or copper [or gold if you want to get fancy] and bone.
    • Pendants that carry symbols of Laviku. These could be for protection of bout ships and individuals.

[ Crafts and carvings]

• sculptures of sea animals from wood or bone, colored or not. Wonderful for bout children to play with, or to just decorate if you have the space.
    • Children could have the opportunity to actually buy toys. Like dolls or plush toys? I don’t know are there any in Mizahar, but it could be cute. Think of the children!
    • Decorated weapons like daggers and swords, possibly harpoons.
    • only bright and colorful clothing, blankets and scarves
    • baskets?
    [Animals]
    • parrots? Some other birds maybe? [too much pirate movies lol]

[Events]
  • Ship painting
  • Face painting?
  • singing and dancing
  • Storytelling
  • Maybe Svefra give shows? Like dolphin shows?
  • Swimming competition?
  • Harpoon throwing for the men?

Also, I thought that maybe the festival could be carried out on one specific place each year, one island. Every year a new rope that has colorful beads in it [every participant adds in his own] is added to the island. Can you imagine? It would be over 500 colorful ropes hanging and wrapping around the trees and paths of the island that leads to, lets say a temple?

Yea, that’s a bit of a brainstorm I could come up with :)
common|kontinese|tukant|thoughts
Maurelle
I'm never really alone

Words: 17464
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2013, 7:22 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cascade on February 18th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Note to everyone: After some conversations with Anchor, we decided to let the location be in the North -- specifically the Anchorage. Just made more sense since the majority of the player base is there. :P

Anywho... Hi hi Maurelle! Thanks for much for all those nice suggestions. I like your suggestions for the items for sale! Will definitely put them in. Thank you for the list of events as well.

As for the colorful rope of beads, I think that's a fantastic idea. I'll look around and see if there's an island nearby we can use for this, or we can even use the inner ships of the Anchorage, seeing as they're practically a permanent fixture to the Anchorage.
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Anchor on February 18th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Remember, we be svefra! We don't buy, we barter! :P

For the colorful rope things, I'm leaning my opinion towards the Anchorage itself rather than an island. Children of Laviku should celebrate the day they got a new home in the form of an inland sea by spending time out on it, not an island. We could totally brainstorm the island into somethhing el- I just got a tropical island popped into my head for the South Suvan for some reason. :|

Since it's supposed to be all colorful and shtuff, maybe some colorful clothing as well? We already say they wear their best, maybe some kind of dying station somewhere on the Flotilla?

Hm, do the Svefra have kites?
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am