Closed Of Books and Men[Tatiam]

A hole in the wall is the best place to make Friends

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Of Books and Men[Tatiam]

Postby Richard Burke on February 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Richard listened silently as the woman spoke, it was more than he was expecting for sure, he hadnt expected such an outpouring of thoughts, emotions, and opinions. He watched her, as she shifted her weight, and continued speaking, then she turned the questions on him, he had sort of been expecting that, but he wasnt expecting so many questions all at once. He took apart the conversation, one bit at a time.

"There are not many artists in the city," he started, he was speaking slowly, and softly, trying to carefully think of his words, "Ive been in the city all my life, and there is surprising beauty inside these walls" he had seen it everyday, when he went for his prayer, life was beautiful when you knew Dira could call on you anytime.

"I agree that sometimes the sky is elusive side the walls, and the air is stuffy down in the lower quarters," he answered looking away, almost lost thinking about the city, and the sky, "the Bronze Woods are very dangerous, just the other day, I found a half dead woman. It was a blessing that Dira didnt claim her." he paused, letting that sink in, then continued, "I actually know very little about the wildlife outside these walls, I've been very fortunate that I havent been devoured by a beastie." he chuckled at that.

The squire stood up striaght, and continued, "I'm a squire with the knight, its no secret, we do rather stand out." He slowly answered the rest, "we are lucky that the order can afford beasts of war, and we do our best to protect the city. I dont ride often, but I do go outside everyday." he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword and continued, "I know a little about this sword, Im by no means the best swordsmen in the city. But, I could show you some basics, if you were so inclined."
Honor, Justice, Faith, Knowledge, Wisdom
User avatar
Richard Burke
Guardian of Syliras, unless you use Magic
 
Posts: 98
Words: 42513
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2013, 6:33 pm
Location: Syliras, Squire Barracks
Race: Human
Character sheet

Of Books and Men[Tatiam]

Postby Tatiam on February 19th, 2013, 6:45 am

Tatiam watched and listened, her temporary companion greeting her words with more attention than she wished, or even thought. His response was a kinder, softer one, and it made her pay attention to it.

Well, that was understanding. Artists, he said. Did he care how hard making a living was for her? But then he went on about beauty. Now, was it supposed to be related? Tatiam supposed so, but artists weren't only about depicting beauty, thought a lot were. What else did brighten his sight? What else was worth looking at in these streets? Tatiam was left to wonder. She was difficult to please.

Then the hold, and the woods, but his answer was a bit dispiriting. The young woman was ready to venture, and risk--her life even--but... she wasn't as suicidal as she sometimes wished she was. Richard's dry chuckle matched with that thought. The man soon admitted his profession, leaving Tatiam disarmed. He had no shame whatsoever, how... unexpected.

"I own a dagger," she replied, her voice drained from anger, incomprehension, or even annoyance. Eyes refused to meet his with the softness they bore at that moment. "I'd like to leave this shykehole... not that I... disagree with what beauty could be found here but... Well, maybe I do."

Denied avowal, how typical Tatiam. Bravo. "Well, I mean... I think I like a life surrounded by people but, Syliras is quite crowded, and it stinks, and makes me feel so secluded... I don't think I need to be confined so much, I prefer a sight of grandeur, you know, glancing at the horizon and hoping I'd be there someday, or just let it dictate my,... My dreams."

After a short pause, acknowledging what she just said as if she witnessed the thought from an outsider's point of view, she stated: "Walls are boring. With lots of imagination, anything can stand behind them, but it's hardly ever true. Syliras needs a mural, if not a public lookout."
User avatar
Tatiam
Dreamscape artist
 
Posts: 124
Words: 60520
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Location: Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Of Books and Men[Tatiam]

Postby Richard Burke on February 21st, 2013, 4:03 pm

Image



Richard watched the woman speak, she wouldn’t make eye contact, which always bothered the squire, looking into the eyes of a person was how he really connected with them, words were just that. She was avoiding him, she didn’t like to talk about the city itself, it seemed, probably not after the squire had given such a proud defense of his home city, he knew he was biased, but he deeply believed that his city was the best city that had been forged from the Ivak ravaged land. She was right, in a way, he knew. The city stank, and the fifty-thousands people in the city were all busy, and bustling, and barely paid attention to those that were useless.

“Where would you go once you got out?” He never liked to see a person who didn’t like that city, and many times, these were the people that the city would crush under its weight, the people who would get caught up in the crowd, he hoped this woman was strong enough to resist becoming just a fixture in the city, like he had done, many years ago.

“The people are a motley sort, many of them spend their lives working, not having to carve out an existence, or fight for their lives, or their freedom.” He had this view from having to fight for the people of the city. They never realized that they were in danger, and he was proud of that, the people living their simple lives, working their safe jobs, inside the walls, proud of the knights that protected them. That was why he fought, so that the other people wouldn’t have to, and so that they could live their peaceful lives, and have families, and worship their own gods.

“And would you be the one to paint this mural? I’ve always thought the walls have a functional beauty, simplicity, and functionality.” He was by no means a skilled artist, nor did he know much about art itself. He was speaking from the point of view that one develops from never seeing another city, and never seeing much art in his free time. “I’m afraid the knights don’t have much time for art.”


Image
Honor, Justice, Faith, Knowledge, Wisdom
User avatar
Richard Burke
Guardian of Syliras, unless you use Magic
 
Posts: 98
Words: 42513
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2013, 6:33 pm
Location: Syliras, Squire Barracks
Race: Human
Character sheet

Of Books and Men[Tatiam]

Postby Tatiam on February 22nd, 2013, 5:44 am

Tatiam was saying way too much about herself for a first encounter. That was a bit frightening, opening up to a squire of the Knights with such bold thoughts. There was no way she would have given him the chance to see through her eyes to boot.

The woman put her hands in her pockets, glancing up at Richard. "I don't know," she chuckled dryly, feeling a bit lost with ideas of the future. "It's not like I'm uh... 'ready' to face what's awaiting outside. I'd love to do more than travel from city to city, but I've yet to see all of them... or, you know, find one where I'd... possibly... feel welcomed, or at home... No plans here, Sir, just silly daydreaming." She grinned for a short moment, feeling a little awkward. Seemed like he was back to interrogating her, in a somewhat friendly manner... How did he manage that?

Then Richard started defending his view of Syliras. It all amounted to this, after all. Well, perhaps she had hurt his pride in the process, that's what happened when Tatiam was being too truthful. He was right though, about the city's safety, but it didn't have to be all it could offer. Why wouldn't they try to achieve more?

She laughed again. "I don't expect the Knights to do this. I bet you guys have a nice view from the top, anyway, right? Walls have their use, sure... But this place is like a block of bricks. You don't need to understand why I prefer other surroundings and other views, that's just how it is. That's why I want to learn to fight and wander away. Who knows, maybe I'll come back. But not before I see what else there is out there."
User avatar
Tatiam
Dreamscape artist
 
Posts: 124
Words: 60520
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Location: Syliras
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest