On Kelvics...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

On Kelvics...

Postby Besnik on February 7th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Are they able to own pets? For example, could a canine Kelvic buy a dog and have them as a close companion. Also, if they can have pets are there limits (like how a horse might react around a large predator Kelvic)?
Sorry but posting will be slow until after the first week of January
Besnik
Player

Words: 81265
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2012, 12:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

On Kelvics...

Postby Vick on February 7th, 2013, 11:48 pm

I don't see why not. As for how a horse reacts to a large predator...I am not sure. As long as they are human (in form) and bond I am sure it could work out.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

On Kelvics...

Postby Nai'a on February 10th, 2013, 5:35 pm

It is hard to find a horse that is not timid around a large predator. Or so I was told with my other character (a Black Leopard Kelvic.) Though that does not mean there isn't one out there. It just depends on what city you are in, and the personality/attitude of those horses. For instance, Vas was in the Spires and since she was a predator there were no horses there that would not be timid around her, so she had to go with out a horse on her travels. Though traveling in Kelvic form for her was a lot faster then on a horse.

As for pets, Nai'a owns a small monkey named Meka :). So I suppose anyone can own pets.
Due to college I will not be as active as I was. Sorry, but do not give up on me :)! I will reply ASAP
Nai'a
Healing is the art of caring.

Words: 184578
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2012, 6:37 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

On Kelvics...

Postby Ayanna on February 10th, 2013, 5:57 pm

The only thing is usually Kelvics don't want to own pets or they don't see them as pets. Seeing as a kelvic is essentially an animal that turns into a human it's weird for them to own pets.

Also I've seen the horse discussion before and it's usually accepted that predator Kelvics don't own horses, or animals that would react adversely to them. A Mountain Lion Kelvic couldn't own a dog for instance because the dog's instincts would be for them to attack.

If a canine Kelvic owned a dog you'd constantly be asserting dominance on the animal to make sure you, not him, were the 'Alpha'. The need for dominance with another canine would be more obvious than it would be with just a human-dog relationship.

Just remember how the animal you want to 'adopt' will react to the animal your character can turn into and you should be good, and remember to not act like it's a pet. It'll be a companion.

Beauty's sister is vanity,
and in this world it is the only place to turn
when I am forever judged on my
appearance.

Okay guys sorry I've been off for awhile, real life has this way of sneaking up on you. I'm not going to elaborate on what's going on in my life cause that's my business but know that I've got a lot on my plate and I had to take a step back from Mizahar. I'll being posting sporadically and I'm sorry. I'll get on when can.
Ayanna
Player

Words: 46176
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2012, 3:06 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

On Kelvics...

Postby Gossamer on February 10th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I find it really really weird that a Kelvic PC would even want to own a pet. I could see them having kelvic companions (though kelvics are supposed to be a little more rare than they turn out to be ic). But honestly I don't know a horse worth its brains who would let a predator Kelvic near it. Regardless of what you look like, you still SMELL like what they don't like. I could MAYBE see a leopardbred taking a leopard or large feline as a kelvic mount because these horses are bred to not be afraid of jungle cats at all and generally they want to kick their butts on a routine basis.

What would be fun is teaching a horse to accept a kelvic rider in thread and generally going through the process that way. I think if I ran across a kelvic with a mount in my domain I'd enforce something like this rather than just let it slide.

I'm a firm believer in 'fantasy realism' and it just aint realistic for people to have pets of jungle cats nor jungle cats to ride horses even if they do look human. I also don't see kelvics keeping pets of any sorts - let alone a monkey - because like others have said they are part animals themselves.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

On Kelvics...

Postby Besnik on February 10th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Okay thanks :) I was thinking of finding some way to purchase (or otherwise get) a dog for Bes to have a companion later on when he travels, so if I go down that route I'll bare all of that in mind. Also, might have a go at that horse idea at some point, sounds like a laugh.
Sorry but posting will be slow until after the first week of January
Besnik
Player

Words: 81265
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2012, 12:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets