Closed [Lord of Council's Office] A Transcendental Petition

Eridanus.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Lord of Council's Office] A Transcendental Petition

Postby Paragon on February 15th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Timestamp: 18th of Winter

It was all she could do to even find a shred of time to listen to the petitions of fair Zeltiva's citizens. She had been busy. Hellishly busy. Even now, the storm's legacy cast a long shadow over the city.

There had been good among the bad. It had only been a couple of weeks since she had officially welcomed the Denvali to the city, granting them their own quarter, and thus keeping their loyalty through an assimilation that kept the best of both worlds. She was happy to see Zeltiva's ties strengthen.

Sighing, she batted a hand carelessly through dark curls, and glanced down at the form before her. Eridanus.

Well then, she thought, let's see what Eridanus has to say.

"Allow him in," she said softly, straightening in her chair so all the world would see her composure. Only her composure.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eridanus on February 15th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Eridanus took a deep breath, his petition having finally received the attention of the most important figure in all of Zeltiva: Maria of the Lord of Council. He had seen her rise from figurehead to strong leader, and though he was not there to experience her political manoeuvrings in the midst of the two strong factions that ruled the city, the gist of it was basically the talk of the city. How the third faction managed to eke out an existence and which was slowly growing strong everyday.

He had an idea, a bold idea, and a visionary one. In the end, he had decided to move his place here, in the Sylira region. In order to establish his goals he needed funding and he needed infrastructure. What better way to do that than to start with entrepreneurship and to carve his own way in this world first? Funds, of course, was an important concern, and though he had a little in his personal stash, and with plans to save costs further, he wanted to do all he could to reduce expenditure. When he heard that the head of this city was receiving petitions, it was certainly with good fortune that he viewed this opportunity.

Calming himself before entering the room, the vantha opened the door, allowing himself into the presence of the most powerful woman in Zeltiva. He could see that she was far from calm as what her demeanor might represent, for he could detect even the tiniest aberrations of body behavior; nothing escaped his notice unless he allowed it to.

"Your excellency Maria," Eridanus began with a confident baritone, lowering his head slightly in an old-fashioned display of regal courtesy. "Eridanus, son of Leth, the Wanderer and Adventurer of the world, graduate Magecrafter of the University of Zeltiva of the reputable Professor Wejerx of the Magecraft Department, and the sympathetic of Zeltiva has the honor of your presence today."

Ending his bow, he looked up to make eye contact with her, knowing that his time was limited for she still had to serve the many other petitioners after him. There was no time to waste and he knew that she would appreciate his brevity.

"I have seen the lands, the world, and many things others have not. It is this experience that have emboldened me to dream of this venture. I think it comes to no surprise to you, Maria of the Lord of Council, that I am a mage. Not just of Magecraft as per my official qualifications, but that of many other magics as well. Personal and World, much of this myriad of knowledge and understanding lies in my one person. But that is not enough. I wish to create an organization that will allow me to continue further research into Magic. Into how to make the world a better, safer and more understanding place to live in. Magic may be dangerous, but magic is only a tool, and placed in the right hands it can wreak as much good as it can bad. Imagine! If it can destroy the world, it also can save the world, heal it, and help us to transcend our mortality if we tried!

In order to do that, and to create the infrastructure, I have a few contemporaries who will set up shop with me. It will begin as a humble shop, but we will slowly but surely expand our repertoire. It will be a magic shop like no other! Imagine the world's disciplines all gathered into one, I think you can grasp the magnitude of this venture. In my travels, I have seen nothing like this before on Mizahar. We will be the first in history to attempt this! And at the heart of it, will be you Maria, and our beloved City should you wish to lend me a hand.

I understand your position, that you must think of the city first before pursuing idealistic and lofty goals. Let me then attempt to persuade you with the following practical points.

Firstly, I will not be overly modest. I am confident enough to state that I have mastered the mystical art of Shielding. My shields have shrugged off even the most powerful attacks, and even the Syliran Knights have employed me as their highest paid and most powerful shielder in the Sahovan Detachment of which I have returned from. This means that my building - in the midst of the Syliras-Zeltiva Kabrin Road - would be the safest place in the Wildlands in the whole of the Sylira region. Surely now the consequences of that is obvious. Once it becomes much safer to travel between the two cities, trade will surely flourish and bloom, and this is of great benefit to both Syliras and Zeltiva.

Secondly, not only will this increased traffic benefit both cities directly, the indirect benefits from other cities comes into play. Suppose merchants from Alvadas only traded with Syliras. Now that they know of a stronghold of safety in the midst of the road, surely that would convince them to expand their trade routes to Zeltiva as well.

Thirdly, the uniqueness and potential reputation of my shop will draw in visitors and customers from all over the world. Whether they be from Cyphrus, Kalea or even other Sylira cities. In order to reach my place, they will have to go through either Zeltiva or Syliras. They will have to spend money there for food and housing, perhaps shop a little while they're there. This is an evident boost to the economy of both cities. Might I also say that even visitors who only passed by Syliras to my shop might be gently informed that Zeltiva only lay at the other end of the Kabrin Road as well and be politely pointed in that direction. After all, if they've traveled so far they might as well walk a little more to see our great city!

Fourthly, with the research that we do and with the knowledge - and I am quite willing to leverage on my connections with the University - a connection between us would prove beneficial to the city in terms of magical technology and knowledge. It would be a most harmonious and cooperative relationship. A win-win venture, I might add. We can not only trade knowledge and technology, but also arrange exchange programs for our members to learn from each other. Surely you understand that education is eminent in creating an enlightened nation.

Finally, I appeal to your instincts on our greater goals. Let both the pragmatic and idealistic goal sway you, and it is with my greatest hope that Zeltiva can be part of this groundbreaking and monumental effort. Ionu of Alvadas has already granted us his favor in the form of this feather, so Maria, will you help me in making this dream a reality?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Paragon on February 16th, 2013, 7:16 am

Maria listened. She listened to it all with the composure befitting a city leader. This man before her was eloquent, and had clearly thought through his petition. He had a firm argument, reasons she could not dispute. The economical worth was a boon she would happily take for Zeltiva, by funding a little of the construction costs this beautiful man needed.

But all the same... was it not magic that had threatened to pull her city into the bay. Obelisks humming with power, loose mages summoning glassbeaks in her streets. She finally looked back up at him, fingers interwoven, and hands clasped together.

"I can see all of this, and more. Opportunities abound for both our cities on this road. And yet..."

She turned away from his gaze, looking out of her port window at a small patch of sea in the near distance.

"It is magic that nearly destroyed this city in the Spring. How can I be sure this institution will not become a stronghold of tyrannical mages. I fear magic. That is a healthy fear. If you gather wizards in this place, what is to stop you turning against us? I am unwilling to risk Zeltiva so."

He had the references, but they meant little to Maria. The University was an old institution, and its interest seemed often to clash with her own. She felt she could trust this man, but still her reservations held steadfast.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Eridanus on February 16th, 2013, 9:12 am

Eridanus observed her intently, reading everything he could about her body language. Even as he reached the end of his speech, he was already subconsciously dipping into his well of djed, blasting color and life into his perspective. The world flashed as auras flared into view, but the rest of them did not matter. What only mattered was that of Maria's. Perhaps some people might view it as an invasion of privacy, and that it was against etiquette to do so. Yet, Eridanus was of the view that Auristics was simply the same as looking, just that with senses closed off to mundane mortals. If looking was impolite, he would extend that same courtesy to Auristics. That was not the case now.

As he waited for her response, he studied her facial expressions, keeping a dual tab on both her external nature and for emotional surges in her aura. He wanted to be sure of her response, and he wanted to be sure of his. The best way to do so would be to use both senses as an "Intent Sensor" and "Truth Detector". As she spoke, he could see the corresponding parts of her aura light up, and he knew her concern to be genuine. It was not a problem, because he would have been surprised to not receive such a question. Perhaps only the power-hungry nuits in Sahova would be the only ones who would not think of such a question.

"I'm glad you asked, Lady Maria. I could give you the run-of-the-mill answer that we shall be eternally grateful to Zeltiva, or perhaps even serve as a subservient vassal of this cityy and place ourselves under your command. But both you and I know that would be bullshit, and you are intelligent and resourceful - befitting of Zeltiva's leader - that I know you would appreciate and understand the Truth."

He took a moment to glance at her aura, for her demeanor began to turn motionless and neutral as per most politicians when they began to think the hardest and had to weigh difficult decisions.

"In order for us to work, we must remain politically independent and neutral. I hope that you can see, that with the issue of magic and the potential of our organization, how important that must be. Your concerns are as great as mine, because I want to create a better world, and anything counter to that would be counter-productive. I cannot guarantee that we will eternally be loyal to Zeltiva or Syliras, because people change, governments change - you of all people should know this best.

Instead, we pledge ourselves to ideals. Timeless ideals."

Rolling up his sleeves to show more parts of his body, he pointed to several parts of his body to Maria, revealing to her tattoos upon his flesh that were so beautiful that they could not have possibly been made by a mortal hand.

"Can you see these marks, Lady Maria? Do you know what they are?"

Pointing to each as he explained, he continued, "These are the marks of Wysar, Yahal and Myri. Dedication, Conviction, Discipline, Purity, Faith, Goodness, Perseverance. These are the ideals that I have decided to follow as my guideline, and as the Leader that will be the atmosphere, personality and attitude of my group as well."

The mage rolled down his sleeves, giving her an assuring grin as he added, "I could ask Syliras, or I could ask both cities. But I know Syliras' methods, they are inflexible and too stuck onto protocols. They cannot change and adapt to the times. But you are different, because of you, and because of the dynamic nature of the University and the Sailor's Guild, Zeltiva is a Survivor. I am now offering this chance to be a part of history. On the practical side, while we must continue to stay politically neutral, but we will offer an exclusive advantage as a gesture of goodwill for your assistance in helping us to get established. Whether it be special consensus regarding exchange programs with the University, or if you require any special, discreet research or magic-related advice that you want to keep away from the University's ears, I will personally tend to this."

Now that he had addressed her concerns, and detoured a bit to sweeten the pot, he decided to move his speech back to the larger picture and reinforce his arguments to convince her that her concerns would be mostly certain assuaged.

"We also plan to pursue several policies. While we may teach magic, every candidate will be analyzed seriously to ensure that he learns magic for the right purpose. We also plan to introduce a certification process - perhaps in conjunction with the University - that is much more detailed and specific, many more times developed than the University's current stand. That is not their fault for they have other courses to focus on, while we only have Magic. Our education will include vast amounts of Magic Ethics and I am confident that out of all the wizards in the world, those who learned from us will be responsible and decisive.

There are many policies we plan to pursue as well, but that can only be possible when we have a proper foundation upon which to stand on. Surely you can see, Lady Maria, that I have thought long and deep about this process and that from my proposals you can see the intent of my proposition, of the goals and objectives of my dream. What say you?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on February 18th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Once again, Eridanus spoke with a measured eloquence, seemingly having predicted her counter-argument. Truly, she was not swayed one way or the other. Not yet. But she always presented disagreements to petitions, that way she provoked the true colours of the petitioner.

And true colours she saw. She smiled briefly at his no nonsense approach, warming to him quickly. She liked a man who would cut through the bull crap. She was no wench, swayed by honeyed words. She knew the realities of this world well enough.

She did try to hide her surprise at his marks however. But she was stupified all the same. He was blessed by so many. Maria had never been marked, never been called. She wondered what warranted such a blessing.

She remained quiet for a moment, and then met his eyes once again. Beautiful eyes.

"I am confident your ideals will keep this Order grounded. You have permission to build this side of the Kabrin Road. What is it you seek from me exactly? Materials? Funding? My Office has little to offer in the current climate. Though there is some money for certain projects. Be straight with me - what is it you seek?"
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Eridanus on February 19th, 2013, 12:47 am

Eridanus waited after his speech, continuing to study Maria's face as he spoke and even as he ended. While his face was all but the mask of neutrality - or at least what he tried and hoped to be - inside he was a rollercoaster of uncertainty. It seemed so close now, and if he read the signs right he was on the right track to proving his point. Unlike in Alvadas where the Triad sought to control him, Maria proved to be more amenable to his designs and ideals. When can organizations ever understand that controlling a potentially regulatory magic oversight organization would run counter to said group's goals? Alvadas would never realize that in their bid to control, and neither would Syliras.

Then her assent came, and internally he swooped with joy. Of course, in such a formal setting he could not allow such a vulgar display to show, but his eyes twinkled and the glimpse of a beam shone from his passive visage. The happiness cracked his stone-set expression and allowed a glimpse of sunshine through; he was not that good an actor nor politician to fully separate what he felt and what he show. Not yet.

"You have my full appreciation for your endorsement, Lady Maria," The wizard began, inclining his head briefly to show his gratitude. "While it would be in our best interest to try to demand the maximum amount that we can garner, I will not do so for both personal and pragmatic reasons.

Personally, because I do not want to extract more than this city can bear. If you are planning to help us from public funds, the public funds must always meet Zeltiva's immediate needs. We are but a secondary benefit to the city, and so only when there is surplus would I even dream of accepting such funds. If they come straight from your personal coffers, however, I wlll treat it as an individual donation and will process it accordingly.

Pragmatically, it is in our best interests for our two pillars of economy and security - Zeltiva and Syliras - remain strong and stable. Therefore, in order for us to thrive both cities must first be both economically and politically sound. In this view I cannot accept any resources that could be first devoted to aid Zeltiva unless said resources are considered surplus.

However, since we share such special interests with the Univeristy that they would be interested in, and the merchants from the Sailor's Guild would no doubt be very interested in our securing of what could be a very, very profitable land trade route, I think that the assistance need not come solely from the Lord of Council. With my arguments outlined earlier and your charisma, Lady Maria, I think it would be no difficult task to garner further resources and aid from these two organizations as well.

Speaking in detail, I am willing to accept anything that you can offer that you think can help us. Resources such as materials, gold, labor, expertise, knowledge, or even your public endorsement and the subsequent goodwill advertising... all of them can help us. I do not pretend to know the full climate of Zeltiva's political and economical state right now, you are the only person in that position and therefore you are the best to decide what spare capacity you have. That is all I ask."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on March 6th, 2013, 12:09 am

"Very well," she said softly, fingers tapping against the desk without even noticing she was doing it, "I can supply an architect to supervise and assist, and some materials and labour can come from me directly also. It will help take the burden off you, a little. In terms of direct capital I can't do much - as you say yourself, Zeltiva is in a precarious position right now."

She sighed at the mention of the Guild and University. The power struggle in this city was bitter sweet, it truly was. The Guild, from her current situation, was easier to persuade.

"The Sailor's Guild will act under my suggestion. I will see if I can acquire a donation from them. After all, it is within their interest. I am sure we can come to an agreement of mutual patronage."

Her eyes narrowed finally.

"The University, I fear you will not get much from. Books are a rarity, and they rarely have duplicates. Artefacts are closely guarded. And worst of all, the Regents rarely listen to me."

Explanation :
Maria's offers equate to 20% discount on construction costs. I'll PM you regarding working out the other bits.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Eridanus on March 12th, 2013, 8:04 am

The leader allowed a small smile to peek out of his blank visage. Though it meant little in normal social contexts, it meant a great deal in politics. It was probably the equivalent of yelling and pumping fists in the air. However, he did it on purpose, and let the mild grin remain for several seconds before resuming a standard, courteous expression.

Inclining his head in a stately manner, he spoke in a clear baritone, "I am most certainly honored for your thought in this manner and fully appreciate your assistance. Let it be known that should you require any assistance from us that is within our capacity, you may call upon a courier to set forth upon the Kabrin Road. You know where to find us."

He knew better than to push any positions that he may have gained, and to be fair he was already happy that he had managed to garner this amount of support from Maria. It was more than the financial assistance, however, that he found to his benefit. Instead, it was the indirect advertising of his business to Zeltiva, in the form of citizens undertaking building efforts on behest of the Lord of Council, and the implicit endorsement of Zeltiva upon his efforts. Everything was in good time.

The scholar continued standing there though, waiting to see if there was anything that would be exhorted of him, for it was only proper protocol for him to leave when he was dismissed.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on May 13th, 2013, 11:09 am

"Then I have made a powerful ally indeed today," she replied with a smile. Though she knew this was something that had to be checked and watched, the benefits outweighed any of her concerns. Such a development on the Kabrin Road would bolster Zeltiva and Syliras' alliance. And she knew the importance of alliances now, after everything that had transpired.

"Remember to lend your patronage to the people of my city too. There are many that could help with your institution, providing materials and items for your future." And stimulate her own city's economy in the process.

She rose from her chair and walked to the door, opening it as a gesture that it was time for Eridanus to leave.

"Good fortune," she told him, "I fear there may be times coming in which I have no choice but to call on your aid. Goodbye Eridanus."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook