Two Hands are Better Than One [The Storm Shrine]

Ayatah meets with her martial association trainer once more.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Ayatah on February 23rd, 2013, 11:08 pm

|| 48th Winter, 512AV || The Storm Shrine ||
”So, what does my favourite Myrian want to learn today?”

Ayatah shot her training a look, but the short man simply grinned in response. She looked ahead once more before replying, ”I would like to practise my dual-wielding.”

Nuvro clapped his hands together and nodded,
”Yes, yes. Good idea. I thought you would.”

They got to the Storm Shrine, slowing only when they stood next to it. Thankfully, the wind was not so bad today. Ayatah only had to shout a little to be head over the gusts. ”I want to learn some acrobatics at some point, too.”

”Ah, ah!” He waggled his finger at the tall woman in front of him, ”I told you that you’d need to learn acrobatics - you don’t have a choice in me teaching you that.”

”Good thing I want to learn, then.” Her words were accompanied by a smirk. Despite their entirely different upbringing and lifestyle, the human man and Myrian woman complimented each other. Both were stubborn, but both enjoyed humour too, and in particular the humour they found in one another.

Nuvro was stretching, pulling his legs and arms in tight angles that Ayatah would not have expected a man his age to be able to do. When she vocalised this thought, it was Nuvro’s turn to throw a glare.

”Underestimation, for whatever reason, is the most powerful thing you can give to your foe.”

Out of all of his little catch phrases, this was one that Ayatah understood instantly, and agreed with. As a young half-Eypharian growing up in the Myrian city of Taloba, her pureblooded counterparts had certainly doubted her ability to hunt and kill like a ‘proper’ Myrian. She had delighted in proving them wrong (most of the time, anyway). But it was the expression that her comrades wore when she killed a foe, or won a sparring match, that Ayatah remembered most fondly.

”I agree.”

”You sound surprised.”

”So do you.” They shared a grin, ”I have been known to listen to you sometimes, you know.”

The older man did not reply to that, but instead passed Ayatah two wooden double-bladed daggers.
”Instead of simple saprring, I want to do something different.” As long as Ayatah did not have to juggle the daggers like before, she didn’t care what Nuvro had planned. ”I’m going to stand here, still as anything. Then I’m going to tell you how to stab me. If you are too slow, or make a mistake,” the short man smirked, ”then you’ll regret it.”

Despite the light-hearted way in which he spoke, Ayatah suspected Nuvro had some devilish plan behind that grin. The man was known for having… strange teaching methods.

”Sounds easy enough.” She said slowly, eyes narrowing, ”though what do you mean when you say ‘I’ll regr-”

”LEFT!”

”What?” she raised her right hand - her dominant one - in puzzlement.

And Nuvro, who stood there with his arms behind his back like a good little solider, pulled out a thin plank of wood and whipped Ayatah around the head with it.

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Last edited by Ayatah on March 5th, 2013, 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on February 23rd, 2013, 11:42 pm

”Shyke! Nuvro, what th-“

”Right, reverse!”

Now she understood what was happening, but her reactions were slow. She had hardly raised her hand before he struck her around the side of the head once again.

”Now, I know for a fact that you speak Common, so why - may I ask - are you being so slow?” His words were shaped by a grin. Fortunately, Ayatah’s own sense of humour had not yet been completely knocked out of her.

”Concussion?”

Her trainer nodded, still grinning. He kindly allowed Ayatah to rub the side of her head - that’ll hurt in the morning - and gather her thoughts, before starting his game again.

”Left, reverse!”

She bought her dagger upwards and into his collarbone, paused momentarily to smirk at her simple accomplishment, but-

”Right!”

Her movement was slow and jerky, but she managed to collide the point of her dagger with the center of his ribcage. Her blows were not strong, though; he would not be in pain.

”Good. Now, let us really get into it.”

The commands came furiously after that; and Nuvro started to incorporate other orders as well. He began to tell Ayatah what stance she should position herself in; sideways, front-facing, reverse-facing. It felt like she was doing some sort of dance, but her movements were not smooth or connected. Her left hand in particular was jerky, and seemed to have a mind of it’s own.

And Nuvro, as observant as ever, noticed.
“Your movements are not fluid enough,” he rolled his shoulders in their joints, cracked his back as he spoke. Then he raised his own arms, jabbing them forwards and outwards in perfect synchronicity with each other. Ayatah stifled a chuckle. ”You may well laugh, Miss Myrian, but you need to unite both of your hands together when you are learning the art of dual wielding.”

”Easier said than done,” she answered prickly, holding up her two daggers, one in each hand.

Her trainer smiled ruefully and nodded.
”Yes. Yes, it is. But you will learn, Ayatah. It just takes time, and practice. Now, we are going to move onto to something else. Another little game, if you will,” that fantastically annoying grin shaped his mouth once again, and Ayatah could not help but roll her eyes - but smirk along with it. ”You will attack me, and I will block your jabs. You will obviously, use both hands.”

The two nodded at each other, and Ayatah slid into her sideways stance. The ‘game’ sounded easy, yes, but Ayatah had quickly learnt just how fast that short man’s reactions could be. He was a seasoned fighter, and his background was mysteriously secretive. Ayatah did not know whether he had once been as assassin, a body guard, or sellsword - but the end result was that he was damn hard to strike.

Last edited by Ayatah on March 21st, 2013, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on March 5th, 2013, 9:08 pm

They began once more.

Nuvro bought both his daggers in symmetrical and swiping movements, out and then in towards Ayatah’s middle torso. The swings were large and arching, but nearly impossible to block. All she could do was trot backwards, eyes wide at her trainer’s impressive speed.

But the middle-aged male matched Ayatah’s steps, closing the distance between them. His left hand came up, his right downwards towards her thigh.

Instinct seemed to take over; at least, that’s what Ayatah would describe it as later. She blocked the upper strike, and twisted her body sideways so his lower blow missed by a good inch or so. Her left hand jabbed forward, straight and true and landing the point of her wooden blade in Nuvro’s soft navel.

The man staggered backwards, but the glint in his eyes let Ayatah know that the game was far from over.

She slid back in position, right hand forward and left at her side. Nuvro mirrored her; and when he leapt forwards, she knew what to expect.

His strike was heading towards her left waistline, and even when she twisted away, he came forwards to accommodate the dodge. She barely saw his right hand strike upwards, but she damn well felt it connect to her ribcage.

Ayatah stumbled backwards, gasping for air. Her trainer was wearing a crooked smile, one that implied cockiness and victory.

”What -- was it you -- said about underestimation?” She spluttered out.

Then she rushed towards the short male, gnosis mark glowing darkly. Her attack was led by a punch - a physical fist - that landed right in the middle of Nuvro’s chest. She twisted her wrist into a reverse hold, jabbing the point of the dagger along the ribs just below where her punch had landed. Her left hand stabbed his hipbone.

Nuvro yelped out, leaping backwards with a devilish grin upon his aging face. Any other opponent would have winced or complained, but not him. Instead, he was laughing.

”Aha! Well, my little Myrian, well done, well done. It is nice to see why your Goddess marked you.”

They were both breathing heavily, and for a few moments, they were silent.

”Thank you.” The earnest tone to her words made Nuvro glance up, frowning with puzzlement, ”I… am going to Sunberth in the Spring, for a mercenary job. I will surely use what skills you have taught me.”

He nodded slowly, and then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before speaking.
”Good. I appreciate it.”

There was a lull, whilst trainer and student recovered from their heated spar.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on March 5th, 2013, 9:24 pm

The quietness, however, was short lived. Nuvro clapped his hands together, that crooked grin slapped on his face once more.

”Right. Acrobatics. You said you danced, yes?” He paused to allow Ayatah to nod her response, ”well. Acrobatics can incorporate some moves from dance, and of course it requires the same poise and balance.” Nuvro stepped forward, one foot directly in front of the other. His arms were held out wide and straight, catching his balance. Slowly, he lowered them and began to walk forward in slow, wobbly steps. ”When I was child, my mother was a circus performer. I used to spend my spare time on the tightrope, trying to make it across without falling. I managed to do it, once. I was so pleased with myself, but for the other performers, it was like watching an infant walk; very touching, but hardly an impressive act.”

Ayatah listened silently, but smiled a little when she saw how those green eyes misted over in memory. She imagined that even now, aged forty-something and standing at the storm shrine, Nuvro was visualizing himself on a tightrope. Childhood dreams do not die easily, she realised.

He stepped sideways, and with it, out of his memory.
”Having lived with the circus for my boyhood, I learnt that acrobatics are not just flips or spins or jumps. They are an awareness of your own body, and training. God, the training! Those performers would practise every day and night, before and after a show.” Nuvro’s attention finally returned to Ayatah, and she smiled, as if to welcome him back to the present moment.

”’Acrobatics’ is to make the most of your body, and it’s ability. Now, I know you can be as fast as shyke off a shovel, but seeing as you’ve only just turned your attention to acrobatics, I can presume you’ve never truly dedicated much time to stretches?”

”No, not especially, at least.” As a dancer, Aya would stretch before and after a performance, and after a battle or sparring match. But even then, she did so because it was expected of her, rather than the physical benefits.

Nuvro did not seem impressed, but not surprised either.
”Fair enough. Your going to have to practise these stretches every day, otherwise there will be no point. Now, copy me.” And he began to roll his shoulders within their joints, after which he cracked his neck noisily (Ayatah refused to do this this, and merely winced at the sound). Nuvro stretched his arms, wrists, back and legs, and the whole session took far longer than Aya had expected. She did, however, notice how her muscles already felt more lose and limber.

Finally, they moved onto the actual training. Ayatah’s experience of acrobatics was limited to ‘falling with style’, as she called it. Her trainer was greatly amused by this idea, but not so much by his student’s limited experience.
”Acrobatics is best if you learn from a young age. That’s way most of the best performers are orphans; they’ve known nothing else.”

But despite her lack of talent (to put it so delicately), the first lesson began. Nuvro wanted to start with something simple, but even so, when he suggested a backwards handspring, Ayatah was surprised. But he simply smiled at her nervousness and stood perpendicular to her:

”Feet together - yes, like that. Now, I’m going to guide your arms and legs so you know what to do, okay?” He didn’t wait for an answer, so instead Nuvro pulled Ayatah’s arms forwards, so they stuck out in front of her face. ”You need to bring your arms back out behind you - keem them straight! Yes, and bend your knees.” It was an uncomfortable position, but Ayatah watched her trainer eagerly. His brows were furrowed as he critically appraised her position. Finally, he nodded.

Following Nuvro’s commands, she bent her knees and tucked her chin down to her chest. She swung her arms forward and up above her head. At the same time, her pelvis came forwards. Her entire body was tense, partly through nerves and partly through instruction. Nuvro kept a hand on her stomach and one on her back, to give his student some much needed support.

”Look on the ground for somewhere to land your hands. Now, jump!” Her legs came forward in a small jumping motion. Her hands touched the ground and --

And she almost toppled to the side.

Fortunately, hre teacher held onto Ayatah, who was now upside down.

”Not a bad start, but need to keep a tight core. Try again.”

So she did. Again and again, until finally, Ayatah could land on her feet without Nuvro’s guiding hands. The practise took at least two bells, and by the end of the session, both student and teacher were breathing heavily.

”Thank you, Nuvro.” She said earnestly, bending her back and appreciating the satisfying clicks. Training with the human male had swiftly become a favourite pastime of hers; for Aya, it was the closest thing to hunting or sparring. ”I am… going to Darva in the Spring.”

This was news to Nuvro, and those greying eyebrows shot up his forehead.
”I see.” He weighed up the words, as if balancing out the risk death with the promise of excitement and adventure. He eventually seemed to decide it would be a worth while journey, ”if I was a younger man, I would join the quest too. But alas, I am not. Bring me back a souvenir, ey?”

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Fallacy on April 26th, 2013, 10:02 pm

XP Award!

Name:Ayatah
XP Award:
  • Dagger- 3 <-- The ones listed on your CS
  • Dual Wield- 3
  • Acrobatics- 2
Lore:
  • Underestimation is powerful
  • Acrobatics it awareness of your body
Notes:

A good little training thread. Had some good story and character development as well ^.^ Great job.

Any questions or concerns about the rewards gained please send a PM :)

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)