Placeholder Every Castle Begins With A Single Stone

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Every Castle Begins With A Single Stone

Postby Eridanus on February 26th, 2013, 8:37 am

Day 25, Winter of 512 AV
Kabrin Road, The Wildlands

Eridanus had left Zeltiva as soon as he had Maria's blessings, though a certain official who had been involved in settling with him the administrative details also told him about his uncle who owned an inn on the Kabrin Road. He had heavily hinted that Eridanus could begin his acquisitions and constructions there, and the vantha had accepted the thinly veiled greasing of palms. After all, in the world of politics it was 'you scratch my back and I scratch yours'. This acceptance had resulted in the delighted official expediting matters to an even greater accelerated pace, and Eridanus had left the city almost immediately with a sudden entourage of men on horses with various supplies.

They had traveled almost constantly, not stopping to talk until they reached the landmark that the official had described. It took about half the time it took to get to Syliras, so the vantha estimated that it was quite neatly halfway along the Kabrin Road. Upon reaching his destination, he laughed inwardly when he saw the sight. A little off the roads there was a rather large complex. The trail was easy to follow for it was well-worn enough that there was an ad-hoc side-walk that led away from that point in the Kabrin Road further inwards into the Wildlands.

Well, 'complex' was being kind. It was mostly burned out husks and debris of structures scattered throughout, and closer to the road stood the only structure that could vaguely resemble a building. It was a patchwork of wood and stone, clumsily piled about, and there was no proper roof. From the design of the peeling paint outside the vantha could deduce that this building was originally a multi-storied structure but now it was cut off from the second floor.

A portly looking man stood before the building anxiously, and when he saw the entourage from Zeltiva he was more than delighted. After harried welcomes and several rounds of tea within his humble abode, while the rest of the travelers rested the full story came into understanding.

The man was the uncle of the official who had worked in the Lord of Council's office. He had been the proud owner of a large complex right smack in the middle of the two cities, and there used to be a collection of facilities here that attracted traveling merchants and adventurers. A gambling establishment, a sauna and a pool, a fine eatery, even a small brothel, and a well-designed tavern-cum-inn that was five stories tall. All of which got promptly devastated in the Djed Storm of 512 AV. Many of the operators who were his business partners were incinerated or fled during the Djed Storm, and even now only his stable-boy, cook and a clerk had returned. The rest were assumed to be dead or missing.

Not that there was much to return to anyway. The place had been promptly looted by roving bands of enterprising mercenaries in the aftermath of the Storm, and the owner soon found himself without the capital to rebuild his complex. Every other building was now a crumbling ruin of debris, with his beloved inn only one-story tall left. He had used what little he had to renovate and put together a proper functioning structure - bare-bones, that is - but still had not cleared the rubble throughout. It was a sorry sight indeed. Therefore, he had been looking to withdraw from the industry and simply move to Zeltiva where his nephew had promised to look after him, and probably find work as a manager somewhere in the city.

Unfortunately, no one had wanted to buy this tract of land off his hands, believing it cursed. No one wanted to spend money to renovate, rebuild, and clear the place as well, given that they could achieve better things with the money. That was, of course, until Eridanus came along, sent by the man's nephew.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)