Closed Sightseeing and Sea Kings

(Cirrus, Eleret) A traveller meets a native, and the two swap cultures.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Sightseeing and Sea Kings

Postby Cirrus on March 1st, 2013, 11:15 pm

Cirrus

[1st Spring, 513AV]

Cirrus walked into his new city with a gleam in his eye and a smile on his face. He liked to think his somewhat carefree appearance made an impression on the people he passed, and he swaggered a little as he strode down what he supposed must be the main street. His lyre swung against his buttocks with his travelsack slapping off his back, and his kukri and chakrams gave him an air of danger that couldn’t be denied.

Mentally shaking himself off, he did a reality check. Of course, there’d be plenty of people who know how to fight in this city and he didn’t know how to use these things. He could hunt with a chakram if he had a big target, skin and gut a rabbit, if he had one, with his kukri, but he would never win a fight versus a seasoned sailor or mercenary. Nonetheless, he could play the lyre and so he wouldn’t go hungry. Not if there was an inn to be found anywhere, anyway.

Rounding the corner, he stopped and stared. He’d found the best place to be. The sight that had to be seen. Or if there was a place that was bigger than this, he wanted to see it. Before him was a limestone prism held up by massive pillars in a rectangle; a parthenonesque temple rose from the ground on a stepped pedestal and dominated the square it stood in. He whistled appreciatively.

Slowly, he sauntered up to the temple (is it a temple? he wondered, idly), appreciating how it rose up before him in monolithic splendour. “The kind of god who would finance a project like this is no doubt somehow involved in the giving out of stupendous wealth, I imagine,” he murmured to himself. Quietly, he sat upon the bottom-most step and tuned his lyre, then began to play a soft, lilting melody he had once heard described as ‘a shallow bay in a soft breeze’. It was a personal favorite - it appeared hard to play while simultaneously being so easy that he could focus on his surroundings, looking pretty or just zone out altogether.

This time, he decided to focus on striking the most, well, striking pose, thinking himself rather dashing as he moved himself up a step and arranged himself with his right foot foot on the step below his limestone seat and his left stretched out before him on the street, pulling his hood up as he did to shelter himself from the cold post-winter night and keep the wind from freezing his ears off. On the right knee he rested his lyre. He decided he liked this city. It was open, clean, breezy, and most of all impressive.
Shiber speech | Common speech | Pavi speech

Others' speech
Cirrus
The Wandering Minstrel

Words: 23597
Joined roleplay: February 27th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eleret on March 2nd, 2013, 11:26 pm

The First of Spring was the anniversary of the Valterrian, that ancient catastrophe which had devastated Mizahar and yet also enabled the creation of the Konti. In most other years, Eleret had made her observance of this day at Silver Lake, considering that sacred body of water the most appropriate venue for her devotions. But of course, Silver Lake was a long journey north of here, separated from Zeltiva by land and sea; and Avalis was not so greatly honored in Zeltiva. At least, Eleret had yet to find any places sacred to the goddess of visions.

But Avalis' lover was the patron of Zeltiva, and very nearly as important in Eleret's personal pantheon; thus, this day found her at the Temple of Laviku instead.

She wore scarf and cloak against the early-spring chill; the breeze off the sea remained brisk despite the official change of season, tugging impishly at the Konti's scarf fringe and her pale hair. The woman carried nothing visible outside the drape of her woolen cloak -- a resident, presumably, who didn't need to take her worldly possessions along with her; though she did have a small weapon on her left hip, and a pouch on her right, neither exactly hidden by the enveloping cloth. She paused, looking down the avenue as the wind brought her the sounds of plucked strings. Eleret didn't recognize the melody, but she smiled to hear it; though it wasn't Kontinese music, though the man who played it had dusky coloring more akin to that of her Benshiran friend, it surprisingly reminded her of home.

That seemed a good omen for this day.

She resumed her approach towards the temple, offering the musician a warm smile and a nod. Eleret hesitated at the base of the steps, one foot on the lowest riser, her attention divided between the building and the minstrel; she didn't want to interrupt his playing, despite the questions his music raised. And she had business of her own still within the temple. If he didn't respond to her look first, she thought she would go in and attend to that -- then see if he was still around later.
Eleret
Player

Words: 179278
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 12:33 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Cirrus on March 3rd, 2013, 8:14 am

Cirrus

Cirrus started as a woman stepped towards him and smiled. Correction; an attractive woman. He did a double-take when he realised she wasn't a woman - she was a girl, perhaps of twelve to fourteen years. But then again, she had a full figure and womanly assets. Regardless of her age, she had a face that sailors would sing of and that he could sing of even better, given a week to find a song that did her justice. So she must be a Konti. I’ve never seen one up close before. I can see why they’re desired by most of the Drykas I’ve tolerated. Pale skin, fair hair, and a sense of... innocence.

She smiled at him, which he supposed was to be expected of any friendly person, however beautiful and confusingly not-aged they may be. What confused him was when she stopped at the bottom of the step. Did she want his attention? He couldn’t see her face from beneath his hood this close up. He began to let the song die away and simultaneously made a point of visibly stirring. Such a pretty girl didn’t deserve to be alone on a night like this.

“Does the fairest lady I’ve had the pleasure of looking on have any coin for a poor vagrant minstrel?” he asked, lowering his hood carefully. “I fear I have naught to give but my talents, though I’ve many songs like this one if this one pleases you.” He stopped playing, slapping something that sounded like an ending on the song before swinging his lyre back around to rest at his buttocks again. Springing up on the bottom-most step, he offered his hand. “Cirrus, storyteller, comedian and vagrant minstrel extraordinaire,” he offered, smiling. “I fear I have little idea where I am, exactly. What fabulously rich man owns this place? Or is it a temple?” The latter seemed more likely. Come to think of it, the answer was probably obvious. He’d probably look a fool in asking. But he knew little of these Syliran gods, and less of their temples. Asking seemed all that was left to him.

Others' speech
Cirrus
The Wandering Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eleret on March 3rd, 2013, 11:29 am

Eleret giggled at the minstrel's melodramatic greeting and self-introduction, one hand lifting to press fingertips over her lips. Her gift teased impressions of his mood from the air -- a subtle floral scent, the more familiar aroma of cinnamon. She knew both to reflect positive feelings, and on that knowledge stepped forward without hesitation to accept the proffered hand. Her webbed fingers and scale-patterned skin quite obviously confirmed the woman as Konti. "I am Eleret," she offered in far less grandiose style, her Common accented but clear as she returned his smile. "It is good to meet you, Cirrus." She paused a moment, then decided to check her understanding of his words. "Extraordinaire is to say... not ordinary, special, yes?" If so, it made for an interesting self-introduction, at the least.

She blinked in surprise after he asked about their location, glancing at the shell-spotted limestone columns and walls of the temple above them. "You are in Zeltiva," Eleret remarked, giving Cirrus a sidelong look and a hint of smile which suggested dry amusement. She expected him to know that much, and meant her statement-of-the-obvious to tease. She then continued with an answer to the actual query. "This is the temple of Laviku. It is... hm... very large, yes. I think it is also very old." The Konti would have used other descriptors, but her Common vocabulary failed the task; she left it at that and moved on. "I go to pray," she continued, gesturing up towards the building. "Maybe you will want to see the inside also? I would like to talk about your music after.."

And maybe a little bit right now, as she smiled again. "The song you were playing, what is it? It reminds me much of home." She paused a moment to regard Cirrus, considering the shades of his hair and skin. "Though I think you are Benshira, yes? From the deserts? It is not what I would expect to hear one play, music from the water."
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Cirrus on March 3rd, 2013, 7:28 pm

Cirrus

Cirrus smiled winningly at the young lady, well pleased that he spoke Common well enough to charm a lady who shared his unfamiliarity with the language. It seemed likely they'd run into language barriers, but that was a long time away hopefully. And who knows? That could be amusing too. He had once bedded a wench over a playful argument about the Common word for 'couch'. Although her giggling and open behaviour certainly made her seem far too young... He'd probably pass up on that if such an opportunity arose. He had no wish to find out he was making the two-backed beast with a child halfway through a drunken night. "Extraordinary, yes, but if I tell the truth I am not so extraordinary. I still learn. Perhaps I am extraordinary in my willingness to learn?" he chuckled. "Yes, no doubt that. I've certainly never not listened to one who can teach me something new."

At her statement about Zeltiva, Cirrus put on a comic frown of concern and replied, "But my dear lady, I was led to believe that I was travelling to Mura! When I met a Konti I expected her to tell me the same! Alas, I find myself in a port town, and you tell me it is Zeltiva. Ah, well, I have made a friend already and so I can be peaceful, especially one so fair and enchanting as yourself." His Common was still somewhat broken, and he hoped sincerely that his rhetoric was still effective in a slightly fractured tongue. "This temple, I am very interested in. I fear my Common fails me but in Shiber I would say
'It is ancient as the stone that makes it, and as grand as the cliff it was cut from'. I fear that all I can tell you of that is that I agree that it is very big and old," he conceded, smiling humorously. "I would like to see the inside, also, if I am permitted. Does it truly have an inside, however, when no..." damn, Common word for 'boundaries'... "...walls? Exist other than the pillars that support the roof? Is there some higher place I cannot see in there?"

The music itself he grinned at, as he suddenly found himself submerged in his element by a decidedly pretty woman. "The song, yes. Well, it is not Benshiran or I would be singing to it, for Shiber is the tongue I speak best. Yes, you have puzzled me out; I hail from Eyktal, the desert, but to reach here I have travelled across the grass sea and learned something of songs in Pavi. The song I play is but a stolen song from the Drykas, who played it on a lute like so," he explained as he played the same song but changed key. Instead of watery and calm, it suddenly felt green, lush, wild and free. He added a sting and it became a melody of the plains, and the horses freely galloping across them, not triumphant but totally unconstrained, wild because it knew no other way. "You see," he explained as he played, "any song can be made to say anything. They are but art, and art can be..." Damn, again with the Common... Interpreted? Viewed! I know 'viewed'! "...viewed differently. Watch, and it changes again." this time, he changed to a minor key, and the song because desolate, speaking of great empty stretches under scorching sun and caravans crawling in the dust.

He set his lyre away again, and raised his hands. "So you see, I am but a thief of songs, who takes tunes and changes them to my way." He grinned roguishly. "I promise I shan't steal anything of yours, though, for possessions can be missed, and I would hate to bring a tear to your pretty eyes," he added, cursing his lack of vocabulary. Pretty?! You know more words than 'pretty'! Oh come on, you idiot! Ugh, too late now...

Others' speech
Cirrus
The Wandering Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eleret on March 4th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Eleret tilted her head as the minstrel expounded on, demonstrating his facility with language -- even if, as he presented it, the language in question wasn't his native tongue. She shook her head a bit, perhaps at the fair and enchanting phrase, perhaps at his declaration of Mura as his intended destination. "This is surely not Mura," she replied, dryly amused. "Mura has much more water." It wasn't that long ago she had that discussion with someone from even farther away than the deserts of Eyktol.

The cadence of Shiber wasn't very familiar to her, outside of Sybel's occasional mutterings or exclamations; the words he used here were completely beyond Eleret's knowledge. But she smiled ruefully at his conclusion in the language they did share. Her gaze flicked up to the temple, and the Konti nodded. "Come in, then. It is open to all." She started up the stairs, then added over her shoulder, "It has an outside. So it must have an inside." Simple logic, but good enough for her purposes!

A thief of songs, he called himself. Eleret glanced over at the minstrel, seeing his broad grin, and smiled amiably in return. "I should hope you will not," she replied evenly. "Songs, I do not mind sharing. I do not think most are as..." She found she couldn't come up with the proper Common word. "...as many-featured as the one you play. But I am not a singer," she concluded with an easy shrug of her shoulders. "You would know better. I think you would like Mura," Eleret continued. "It is much a place of art, in all kinds."

She walked on into the temple, between the great columns and the paired staircases just within. Eleret walked slowly towards the central room, taking her time to peruse the ocean-themed murals painted on the interior walls, even though she had seen them all before. They always merited a period of contemplation.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Cirrus on March 4th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Cirrus

Cirrus continued to smile, even as he was sure he had made a fool of himself by ending so lamely. "I shall look for that when next I seek Mura, then," he joked, and at that let the matter rest before the joke died. He found himself infatuated with this woman for no particular reason, and followed her up the steps even as he reminded himself that he never planned to enter the temple. I should be finding lodging for the night. No matter; that would come later. Inns were always open.

His smile broadened at the Konti's simple logic, and its simple effectiveness in proving her point. Of course it had an inside. "I'm glad it is open, for if it wasn't I fear you could not stop me entering anyway, as it has no walls. I wait eagerly, then!"

At her comments on music he inclined his head. "True, a song cannot be missed when it is stolen, but I cannot claim to have written this or I would have to speak Pavi like a native tongue. Songs, though, can be changed. They have... erm...
keys, you see, groups of notes that sound good together. You play a different group, a song sounds differently. Add things to that different sound and it becomes a different song. So art travels." Of Mura, he said "I shall certainly visit one day, and perhaps see you there as a friend? What better guide of the Konti lands than a Konti? I would be glad to learn of Konti music."

He stepped through the boundary of pillars and looked around. "It is... impressive," he commented, lamely. "Once again my common fails me." He was feeling thoroughly humbled by his sudden lack of grasp of such a, well, common language. "Well, there are words that describe that I know, but they seem as useless as 'impressive'."

Others' speech
Cirrus
The Wandering Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eleret on March 7th, 2013, 11:13 am

Eleret looked back at the minstrel as he fell quiet, and nodded once. "It is," she agreed quietly. "I think there are no words in any language." Not to adequately describe any sacred place, however grand or simple. She smiled at Cirrus, then nodded towards the altar and portrait of Laviku at the head of the room. "I will pray now, if you will wait a moment. After, we can continue talking."

Eleret moved over towards the altar, pausing briefly to regard the image above it. From the pouch at her belt, she produced four candles, setting them out in a square on the altar. She placed a small wooden figurine in the center, what looked to be some kind of fish roughly carved from oak, along with a handful of gold mizas. Taking up a long splinter from the pile by the temple's candles, she held its tip in a candleflame until it caught, then deftly used it to light each of her own four small candles. Snuffing out the taper, the Konti then knelt before the altar, bowing her head.

Eleret took the time to reflect over the past year, framing her hopes and desires for the coming one. Then she spent a few moments praying to each of her gods, as she would have done amidst the waters of Silver Lake if she were still in Mura. Laviku came first, of course, as it was His sacred place she visited; then Avalis, Eyris, and Priskil, the remainder of her personal pantheon. But though she paid homage to all four, the Konti did not dwell upon her prayers, and in absolute terms, it wasn't very long before she opened her eyes, looked back up to the portrait, and finally climbed back to her feet.

Turning, she sought out Cirrus and nodded to him, walking over to rejoin the minstrel. "I am finished," Eleret said quietly. She didn't give the impression of wanting to hurry him out of the temple, though -- if he wasn't finished admiring the structure, she didn't mind waiting.

ledger-4 cm for four candles
-16 gm monetary offering
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Cirrus on March 9th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Cirrus

"As you will, my lady," Cirrus responded amiably as he settled down. He sat down in the middle of the floor, crosslegged near the altar. Around him was several hundred or thousand years of architecture, but the history of the place didn't impress him, any more than the history of a hill would. It was an interesting sight, nothing more, and while he enjoyed it and would most likely compose a song, he would never appreciate its age. He observed as Eleret lit a candle and made an offering, then idly looked around again. Outside, he could almost see the night sky. The temple itself was gigantic, its roof lost in the shadow of the evening. He supposed they had no way to light lamps up there. He'd have to remember to come back when the sun was rising.

While Eleret was praying to her gods, he prayed to his. To Rhaus, may I be guided along the path as I walk my wandering road. Yours is all music and poetry in this world, and for my livelihood I thank you. To Yahal, father of my people, may I be aided in my purity by your divine power. Yours is all that is pure in this world, and for my strength of will I thank you. To Cheva, lover of Rhaus, may I see truly the hearts of those who wish me well. Yours is all that loves in this world, and for my heart I thank you. To Kihala, mother of all that is, may I live fully and well and never cause undue harm. Yours is all that lives in this world, and for my life I thank you. To Leth, may my thought be clear as moonlight and change in me always for the better. Yours is the moonlight that guides us and all that would change in this world. To all of you, I thank you. He liked to think his gods got along, because he paid homage to all of them and he'd hate to have to pick a side.

He smiled at Eleret when she had finished, and stood up. "I'm not one to linger very long in any place. But I shall have to see this place again when the sun rises 'twixt the pillars. Shall we go?" Eleret nodded her affirmation. Turning, he walked from the temple and down to the docks, just across the street. Starlight shimmered off the water and the moon was just rising. Cirrus nodded to it as if greeting an old friend and turned to Eleret. "I haven't arranged lodging yet, though I have stabled my horse at World's End Grotto. I fear I may not be able to find it alone, though. Where would it be?"

Others' speech
Cirrus
The Wandering Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eleret on March 21st, 2013, 12:53 pm

"It is very pretty in the sunlight," Eleret agreed, as they moved down the stairs and away from the temple. She looked down across the docks and the dark expanse of the sea as he did. A ship moved in the darkness, distinguished by the pinpoints of light which were its lamps; coming in to dock, she estimated, though she didn't linger to watch it long.

Turning back to Cirrus as he spoke, the Konti smiled warmly. "It is your good chance then. Good fortune? World's End has rooms for travelers also. And I rent one myself." She gestured towards the docks on the left of the street. "The docks, shipyard, they are obvious, and easy to find. You just keep going down, and in." She pointed at the cluster of buildings on their right, immediately across from the docks. "Over there is East Street. It is the... more dangerous part of Zeltiva. You go farther down, she continued, her pointing hand moving sideways to indicate the length of the street, "and there is West Street, with many shops. World's End, it is just above the docks, in those hills," Eleret concluded, indicating the other side of their current street.

Lowering her arm, she grinned sidelong at Cirrus. "But I would not want you to get lost if those directions are not good. I go back myself, I am done with my errands. I will show you to the inn, and maybe you can tell me about your travels? I do not know much about places other than Mura and Zeltiva." Eleret started walking, pulling her cloak close against the evening breeze. "You mention the Drykas -- they are in Cyphrus, yes?"
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Next