Talking About Akaji...Or Not (Rosela)

Riaris heads into the fashion shop to buy new clothing and meets an interesting person.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on March 22nd, 2013, 9:19 pm

Timestamp: 6th of Spring 513 AV

It was Spring now and for Riaris and Recoomas that meant heavy coats were no more useful. The time was now to bring out the spring attire, a small collection of loose fitting pants and shirts without sleeves. Depending on the time, day, and what he was doing, he sometimes didn't wear shoes or a shirt. For him it was a comfort and when it came to training he preferred to dress in that way. It was still early, but it had already been a long day for the massive Akalak. He had gotten together with a friend of his sisters' who had agreed to braid his hair.

It was a kind gesture, but Nanali had stayed as well, and the girls had near talked him to death. The conversations about fashion, hair and spa treatments were enough to put any man to sleep, but when they started talking about what young Akalak would make a real man, Riaris had heard enough. He had started to leave but the girl's promised to settle down at least until his hair was done.

It was moments like this where Riaris wished that he had brothers, but it was just a silly thought. He cared more for Nanali and Johan than even he knew. His world simply wouldn't have been the same without his sisters and he understood that. But..the thought did occasionally run through his mind. Once he was finished, the large man quickly escaped the teens and headed outside for some fresh air and much needed silence. He walked around for a while, with no destination in sight and just enjoyed the cool spring air.

Riverfall was magic during the spring time and it was a sight to see for him each time the season came around. With the melting snow all but none, the trees and plants were springing to life again and budding with new blossoms throughout the city. It happened by chance, and although he had meant to look into it soon, he hadn't decided on a date.

However Riaris found himself in the business area and standing in front of the Red Diamonds fashion. To say that the Akalak knew nothing of what was fashionable would be correct. His own wardrobe consisted of things that were easy to move around in and made to adapt to the changing weather.

But things were different now that he had a companion. The beautiful healer from the Sanctuary had him stunned at first glance. Although she hadn't said a word about his clothing he knew that women enjoyed their fashions, and judging by her attire, Kavala really loved hers. He imagined that a change of clothing would help him to somewhat match her own fancy dressing style for when they went out to dance or dine.

He stood outside of the building for a moment and reached up to scratch his fingers into the grooves between the braids in his hair. He hesitated, being unsure of exactly he was there to look for. He wondered if the tailor had any dark robes. Finally he entered and stepped inside to shop. He quickly turned away from the rainbow of bright colors and textures on the women's side and made his way over to the mens side.

He stood there in front of the racks, his pale gaze searching the area for something that peeked his interest. His own clothing was very simple, a sleeveless white shirt and simple white pants. Mid sized black boots hugged his feet and were the only thing that he wore that wasn't white.
The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on March 26th, 2013, 1:19 pm

There was still the barest chill in the air as Rosela trekked to her shop. She hadn’t yet given up her long sleeved winter clothing, though everywhere around her, people were breaking out in skirts and sleeveless shirts. She’d catered her lineup accordingly, but as much as she wanted to be on top of the seasonal wear, she just couldn’t jump into a skirt yet.

The morning passed by with monotony, the single high point being a comment on the new direction her menswear was taking. She was pleasantly shocked anyone had actively noticed, and gave the man a discount. The shadow under her desk made an indiscreet comment about Rosela admiring his rippling shoulders as he left, which was promptly ignored.

Since discovering she could speak with the shadows, she went through a brief period of fascination, where she couldn’t stop herself from responding to their chatter. The fascination wore off quickly when she realized that some shadows, particularly the one under her front desk, enjoyed nothing more than to get her riled up. She had the distinct impression that they didn’t respect her, which simmered her irritation like a slow building headache. She was respected among the non-shadow residents of Riverfall, wasn’t she? How did one go about impressing a shadow? More importantly – should she even bother?

By midday, she was halfway through making a woman’s belt, and her three right hands were getting sore. Working with leather was an enormous pain, but the benefits seemed to be paying off as leather products were selling like hotcakes.

The belt itself was dark brown leather, with a tooled floral design down the length. Down the inside were small straps, similar to belt loops, sewn shallowly into the leather. The straps held in place a cord with short, sequined strings hanging down. It seemed an easy way to spruce up an otherwise purely functional belt, while making the ‘sprucing up’ purely optional. The curved needle moving in and out of the leather, sewing the beltloops in place, was strangely cathartic, and much easier than tooling the belt had been. She glanced up to the door in between stitches and saw the familiar sight of an Akalak loitering outside her door. It happened often: men would loiter outside the door until they worked up the nerve to walk in. She never did understand what the problem was.

When he finally entered, he made an immediate line for the men’s side. Putting the belt down, Rosela slid out of her chair and painted on a bright smile. ”Hi there, welcome to Red Diamond Fashions. I’m Rosela; what can I help you with today?”

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on March 28th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Riaris browsed the ranks of clothing for a few ticks as he looked to find something suitable for dinner wear, or something classy for a night out. He tried so, but his gaze lingered more on the simple attire, pale shades and dark tones were what he liked and what he was used to wearing. It was easy, less costly, and if he ruined a part or two while in battle or training, it wouldn't matter much to him. But on this day, he shopped more for anothers approval than from his own taste and comfort. He continued to stare over the clothing, finding it hard to picture himself in half of the more flashy of attires.

The name of the woman who spoke to him didn't sound familiar, but she was. He could recognize her easily enough, the exotic Eypharian that he had saw in the council chambers a season ago. He had been defeated that day, his concerns misunderstood and thrown to the side without a second thought. But that wasn't what he remembered most about that day, Akaji, his mother, and the mother of all Akalak had spoke to him about this very woman.

"Why mother...why is she important?"

Akaji was known for her secretive approach, and Riaris couldn't figure out why she chose to speak fondly of the woman. Who was she, and what did she had, had done, to achieve such words from the Goddess. The bulky Akalak turned slightly, his eyes pouring into those of the Eypharian as many thoughts raced through his mind. He reached up, allowing his fingers to rub against his chin as he released an audible grown deep within his throat.

"You have a well stocked mens line here. I need something..nice. The kind of clothing a man should wear when he is..courting." He wasn't sure if the woman herself knew why Akaji spoke well of her, or if she even knew. There was also the possibility that she know and simply wouldn't speak of it. Either way, before he would leave her shop he intended to find out.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on April 3rd, 2013, 7:17 pm

Her newest customer paused before answering her, and Rosela had the feeling he was checking her out, and not in the way she usually liked. He looked familiar, but then all Akalaks had an inherent similarity to her. He was well-built at least, which always made her job more pleasant.

At the mention of ‘courting’ however, such thoughts were immediately locked away, replaced by an intense curiosity as to who was getting some from such a lovely specimen.

”Courting? How exciting!” She waved a hand as she approached, grinning. ”Well, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to what looks good. It really depends on what you like, and of course what she likes. Right off the top,” She paused to give him a quick look-over. ”I’d definitely put you in darker colors. Midnight blue, and black, most likely. White does set off your skin tone very nicely,” She indicated his current outfit placatingly, with a spread hand. ”But it is a very summery color. If you like the brighter colors, a nice steely gray would look good, or a very neutral dusk blue.” Her hands waved excitedly as she talked, taking a step or two along the rack to indicate the colors on various shirts and trousers.

”Second to color, is definitely your personality. You know, what do you do, what does she do, what do you two like to do together? A couple who goes and hunts…bears, or whatever, is going to dress very differently than a couple who go visit the art gallery. Do you get what I’m saying?” She held out a hand for his input, and hoped he got specific on what he and his significant other got up to together. She may not get out and about as much as she used to before the shop, but women were rare enough that she just may have met whoever he was cozy with.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on April 9th, 2013, 5:18 am

As the woman spoke, fill his mind with her knowledge of fashion and the like. Of course it wouldn't have been as easy as to simply walk in a find some sort of Akalak attire fitting for him in a hump suit kinda look. No he would have to work with colors, and matching sets, find the season fits and all. It wasn't something he thought about much, he just bought what was comfortable and not to flashy or loud.

"What she likes..?"

He grunted to himself thinking how he had forgotten to ask what Kavala liked. Though he wasn't making sense even to himself. He wouldn't ask her what she would like would he? Or would he simply bring her along? Perhaps, but if he looked to surprise her that wouldn't have worked as well. It was times like this when he thought that maybe it would have been a good idea to bring his sister along, someone of the opposite gender to help along with it all.

"No, I think I will try some of your more darker colors. Midnight blue, and blacks sound perfect. I suppose I'll need shoes as well."

Riaris watched as the woman moved about, and the way she moved altogether. There was a dainty, elegance to her movement even with the extra arms. But as pretty as she was, just mind was on other things..like clothing and his conversation with Akaji. He decided to wait a bit more before bringing it up and instead continued to go about his reason for coming there. "I am a member of the Kuvay'Nas. She is a healer of animals. But...I can see a gathering at an art gallery."

He thought it over more while he browsed the racks until his gaze fell upon a unique looking shirt that appeared to be made out of some type of silk. He frowned a bit as he looked it over, wondering if Kavala would like it more than he did. "I don't suppose you sell robes as well?"
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on April 19th, 2013, 8:34 pm

The poor man seemed a bit lost, and Rosela wondered if she’d delved too far into the fashion world for him. As much as she’d like everyone to know their best colors and what was in season, everyone clearly didn’t. That’s what they had her for, wasn’t it?

She lit up when he mentioned the Kuvay’nas, planting two hands on her hips. ”The Kuvay’nas? Say, you don’t know Taskel, do you? He’s in the guard too – total sweetheart.” Perhaps that explained why her customer looked so familiar, she’d probably seen him in the peripheral of one of her encounters with Taskel. The explanation didn’t feel right though, and she was quite positive she’d seen him in a more specific role than unspecified coworker.

A female animal healer brought to mind one person, and unless Kavala of the Sanctuary had recently gotten some competition in the animal healing business, Rosela was quite certain she was now staring at her lover. The only time the two women had ever spoken was at Beauty Fest the autumn before, and Rosela didn’t remember seeing any men hanging around the group.

”So,” she started, intentionally breaking off the line of thought and moving slowly with him as he browsed the shelves. ”We’re looking for something nice, but not too stuffy, in some nice, dark colors.” He seemed mildly interested in a silk shirt that Rosela felt was a bit too feminine for him. She was surprised when his next question was about a completely different item. ”I do sell them…but I’m afraid I don’t have any on the shelf. If you’re particularly interested in one, maybe even a his-and-hers set? I can whip one up for you.”

She bit her lip as he considered the silk shirt and took a single step down the aisle to place her hand on a stack further down. ”If you’re interested in something silk, might I recommend this style?” She picked up the top shirt in the pile, and unfolded it for display. It was silk, but in the form of a button up, collared shirt. The buttons were white, and there was a double line of embroidered white thread vertically along either side of the buttons. ”If you’re getting silk though, you’ll want to avoid places where you’re going to be working a lot. Sweat stains are a huge pain to get out of silk.”

OOCTaskel's one of the Kuvay'nas NPCs, he's on the master NPC list in the Behind the Waterfall thread.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on April 24th, 2013, 3:05 am

Riaris arched a curious brow towards the woman and the excitement she showed at the mention of a certain Kuvay’nas member. Riaris knew of the man, but so far he hadn't done anything to impress him, nor were they friends. If he had to make a guess, he'd imagine that the Eypharian had some sort of crush on the man. "Yes, you could say I know him, yes. Should I tell him that you said hello Rosela?" he asked with a smirk.

Perhaps the woman couldn't tell, but Riaris was judging her every move and word. It wasn't out of some racist or sexist ideals, but he was more than curious of why his mother spoke of her. Could she really have saw favor in the woman just because she was sitting quietly and doing nothing? In that cause, the bold Akalak would have to wonder if she showed as much favor to all of the elders in the city because they never did anything beyond sitting and listening.

He calmed his thought as she lured him out of them and back to the business at hand. He had expected this outing to go differently, with her being a woman, and the love of fashion that women had, Riaris had assumed that she would have picked him out an outfit. But it seemed that she was only going to make suggestions. It was smart on her part, but for the Akalak, that left him with more choices and ideas with none he could settle upon.

"I'd rather not have anything to stiff, or anything suited to only one occasion. My time is often busy, and I couldn't say for sure, but I wouldn't guess that I'd spend a lot of time on such fancy dates." He meant every word, but then again, it was Kavala who picked their dating locations, and he would go along with whatever she choose for the evening, still he did want to be comfortable. At the discussion of robes, he decided that he would attempt something to catch her eye, something that might stir a twitch. "I was thinking something more along the lines of a robe that Akaji would favor. I'm sure that you know of the Goddess? Or is her influence not welcomed in your shop?"

He waited for her answer, if she would give one, and followed her down the aisle. The shirt that she picked up looked fancy enough and yet it wasn't too bold or loud."This is a nice shirt, but it's hard to say what will happen from day to day. would you happen to have this style in something else besides silk, and I would like to get a pair of pants and shoes to go along with this."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on May 6th, 2013, 1:28 am

”Oh would you? Thanks.” Rosela grinned up at the taller Akalak, wondering when it was she’d seen Taskel last. Probably the day she’d sweet-talked him into carrying her supplies across town for her, the season prior. The man was indeed a sweetheart, which made him all the easier to lead on. Easy on the eyes too, not unlike his apparent coworker.

Speaking of, her newest customer seemed unusually subdued, absorbed by what she assumed were thoughts of what to wear. Was he nervous? Most of what Rosela knew of Kavala was by reputation, but maybe being a ‘strong-willed woman’ was a euphemism for something else when she was dealing with her significant other. The idea tempted further investigation, but the businesswoman in her pushed her to get mizas in hand before digging too far.

”Hm, if we’re getting away from fancy dates, silk is sounding less and less like the best option…” She was partially thinking aloud, but his question about the robe brought her up short and she blinked in surprise. It felt surprisingly…forceful, almost accusatory. The hair on the back of her neck, over her gnosis mark, slowly stood up with suspicion. Of all gods to suddenly bring up… ”Akaji? Akaji..a? Y-yes, all deities are welcome in my shop. Why, only this past fall, the champion of Ivak-” She stopped abruptly and tilted her head as she suddenly regarded the man in a new light. She’d nearly brought up Leo’s visit, as evidence of her acceptance, when she was suddenly reminded of exactly where she knew this man from. Likely half the city knew his face, and it may explain his clear persuasion towards the Goddess of Shadows. The shadows hadn't mentioned anything, but that was their usual act when customers were around. ”I thought I knew you from somewhere! You were at the Winter Council meeting, right? You challenged Leo. Are you a devotee of hers? Akajia’s, I mean.” She didn’t mention how he’d descended on poor Eosi, particularly since she hadn’t paid much attention to the fiasco after the shock of being silently blessed by Akajia.

She was grateful for the return to discussing clothing. ”If you want something versatile, simpler is better then. I believe I do have this particular shirt in cotton, but it’s in the back. Would you like to see any other styles in cotton, while I’m back there?”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on May 16th, 2013, 5:20 am

Riaris nodded to her, he would indeed tell the Akalak warrior that she had asked about him and said hello. He also imagined that if they were close, he just might be able to learn more about the woman from Taskel. But he would see how things went here and now first. "Taskel does seem to have a way with the ladies..but I'm not sure if he is taken." he decided to push a bit further and see if there was anything he could use.

Riaris folded his arms across his chest, while bringing one hand to stroke his chin. She was right, and he was starting to think that he would need more than one outfit, or styles even. "I will take something on the fancy side for those...occasions. But I'll need something else also." He nodded again, thinking this was the best way to go about it. Once the subject if Akaji was brought up, it didn't take her very long to recognize him. Riaris turned to face her, his pale gaze offering a knowing glare as their eyes met.

"Yes, you could say I'm devoted to her, that would be correct. And what of you? Do you follow my mother as well?" he asked watching her expression closely. "I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matters from that day, if you'd care to speak of them?" He didn't care at all of what anyone thought of the supposed champion of Ivak, but he wondered, he hoped that maybe her words would slip up and he could learn something.

However it would seem that after the brief mention of the Queen, The lovely Eypharian couldn't get away from his fast enough. A smirk rose upon his lips as he watched her walk away, she would have to come back out at some point. "I think I will take the silk shirt and a pair of dark pants to go with it. I would also like to see something less fancy, maybe cotton and sleeveless, and something thinner if you hand it. I will need pants and shorts with this also. I'd rather not have loud colors, but whites, greys, browns, blues well do."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on May 29th, 2013, 8:35 pm

”Taken?” Rosela tilted her head and grinned. ”Oh, I’m pretty sure he’s not taken… Unless it’s happened quite recently.” Taskel hadn’t mentioned any other lovers to her, and given his intimate proposition the night he’d gotten falling-down drunk, she’d place him as a pretty low character if such an insinuation were true. Unless it was being insinuated purposefully? Though Riaris was clearly angling for something other than clothing, it being related to Taskel was unlikely. She’d brought Taskel up first, and he’d shown none of the intensity he was radiating now.

Something to do with Akajia, then? He turned back to her and seemed to bore into her with his eyes, unnerving, but at least confirming the topic of his true business with her. But why? Was he marked as well? Why even bring it up? She hadn’t told a soul about what’d happened at the council meeting, so there was no way he could know about her.

”Oh that’s nice… I follow…many gods. Akajia certainly deserves worship, especially in this city. She’s the mother of the Akalaks right? That’s why she came to the council meeting? And how crazy was that whole mess? And female Akalaks?” She made a noise of incredulity and forced herself to stop babbling, especially before she mentioned Leo. Given the spectacle Riaris had put on, she would bet it was a sore subject. It was unpleasant for the conversation to turn to her thoughts, and she did her best to turn it back on him. “Have you been to the Night Tower? The prettiest of the towers in Riverfall, I think, but I’ve heard it’s just impossible to get into.” She laughed vapidly, putting a hand to her cheek. Whatever the reason he wanted to know about her devotion to Akajia, the thought of him finding out her little secret unsettled her deeply.

”Oh good, let me just pop to the back and get that then. Don’t go anywhere!” She smiled in perfect honesty, though getting him to stay so she could find out what on Mizahar he wanted from her was quickly overpowering her need to make a sale.

She breezed through the door to the back, being sure to shut it as casually as possible behind her. She always closed it when a customer was in, but she suddenly was more aware of ‘normal’ actions in the course of trying to act normal. The rack with the men’s cotton shirts was on the opposite wall, and she eyed the shadows in the corners as she moved to it.

”There’s a really nosy guy out there…” She whispered in Makath as she approached and began sifting through the pile.

”We know.”

”Oh.” She hadn’t realized they could see between rooms, but as she pulled out the folded black cotton, she glanced once at the door. ”Can you tell if he’s, you know, marked? By Akajia, I mean.”

There was a moment of silence. ”…You can’t tell?” When Rosela’s only answer was a slow blush, there was an airless huff of exasperation. ”You’ll notice when other people are marked by Akajia, silly girl.”

”So he’s not.”

” No.”

”Okay... Thank you.”

Chastised, but at least more knowledgeable, Rosela folded the shirt over her arm and strode back out to the front, smile plastered over her face once more. Riaris looked the same as before, though she gave him a discreet look-over for any unusual… auras or other indicators. Finding none, she was somewhat thrown when he decided against the cotton shirt.

”Ah, yes, ok…” She replaced the cotton shirt with the silk one on the shelf. The act of buying clothing was getting into the way of real business, so she decided to take the reins a bit. ”Ok, so here’s the silk shirt…and some nice trousers – I’d bet you’re a 34 waist…” Moving to the next aisle, she slung a pair of black trousers over one of her arms and picked delicately through the pile of shirts next to it. ”Sleeveless cotton, oh I have just the thing…” She pulled out a dark blue sleeveless cotton shirt, fairly plain save for very subtle vertical stripes. ”What do you think? Some nice black, cotton shorts will go along nicely. Was there anything else you wanted today?”

OOCSorry for the length, it just kept growing!

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next