Completed The Purview of Strangers

Time to explore the city, hopefully without getting into TOO much trouble.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Aren on April 4th, 2013, 2:32 am

With what Aren took to be an agreeable nod, Rabbit turned about, and ostensibly headed towards the tavern in question. The akalak followed without a moment's hesitation, now convinced that free drinks were as inevitable as the setting of the sun.

That eyebrow thing that the ceramic creature had done seemed a little disturbing, to be honest, but Aren didn't have time to concern himself with his perception of the facial characteristics of an animated construct... or whatever the hell Rabbit was. At this point, he could have confessed to being a spectral monstrosity originating from some infernal other-world, and the akalak would have merely shrugged and asked how much further to the tavern.

As they walked, Aren realized that the further away he was, the more the diminutive creature actually looked like the animal it was supposed to be. It looked to have fur, a duo of furry little tails and... something, strapped to his back. Okay, so maybe THAT didn't make him look like an actual rabbit, but the other things did. Fortunately, before he had time to dwell on it, the pair seemed to have arrived at their intended destination.

Offering a friendly gesture and an inviting word, Rabbit the rabbit ushered Aren into what the akalak thought was going to be a much needed den of insobriety.

"No, no... after you, Master Rabbit," The azure warrior insisted, opening the door for his enthusiastic benefactor, his words and gestures all carefully chosen in an attempt to engender even more good will from him.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Rabbit on April 4th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Rabbit had to resist the huge temptation to raise his eyebrows again, and also the urge to laugh. Since the warrior's reply was the complete opposite to the Pycon's tone of voice, he had obviously not noticed the jest. Chuckling in his head, Rabbit pushed through the door and into the noisy building.

When he entered, the barkeeper gave the Pycon a confused look, then called back in greeting. Rabbit responded with the same courtesy, raising a paw, but continued to move through the tables until he came to a corner with an empty table. There was quite a lot of space around, and a few spots of alcohol on the floor, where people had spilled it. The tavern itself was slightly crowded, with most tables filled, but it looked well kept for a place that sold beer and spirits. Rabbit settled himself on the edge of the table, since the chairs were much too low for him to settle on comfortably. A waitress walked up and gave the new visitors a smile.

"What would you like to drink?" She asked politely, looking at Aren. The Pycon wasn't new here, and she knew he didn't drink anything. She was also getting a sense of why Rabbit had brought the Akalak here, but didn't voice her thoughts. Some idiotic men called a few jests to her, but she gave them a stern glare which caused them to stop. She was deffenitly pretty, but didn't seem in the mood for flirting. The woman returned her attention back to the warrior, mentally wondering how strong he wanted his ale to be.
I am not cute. Rabbits, yes, look cute, and I look like a rabbit. But keep in mind that inside, I am not cute. Remember that.
Rabbit
Never underestimate a little rabbit...

Words: 48418
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2013, 12:16 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Aren on April 4th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Aren followed Rabbit with the enthusiasm of a child in a bakery. He noticed that the pycon seemed acquainted with the place, a few simple observations making that abundantly clear. The rapid and direct transit to the tavern, the familiarity with the bartender... all obvious signs that he had been here before, and more than once.

Everywhere Aren looked, someone had a drink in hand, although variety seemed to be sorely lacking. As soon as he had crossed the threshold, however, the entire tavern felt like it had turned to give him the evil eye. Perhaps it was because he was clearly an outsider to the city, or perhaps it was simply because he looked like a pillar of muscle painted blue, with an odd looking thing strapped to his back. Luckily, Aren wasn't in the mood to care either way, and simply continued to head towards the table Rabbit led him to, looking as giddy as ever.

Removing the cumbersome weapon from his back, Aren carefully propped it against their table, after which he proceeded to take his seat opposite Rabbit. As the serving girl approached, Aren's throat suddenly began to feel incredibly dry, almost like it was desiccating itself in anticipation if the imminent refreshments.

When the girl had finally reached the table, her attentions turned solely on Aren, taking the akalak slightly by surprise. Why hadn't she turned to Rabbit, who seemed like he was regular here? It was odd, but the warrior brushed the quirk off as simple happenstance.

"I'm not very familiar with your lovely city, or with what kind refreshments you might serve here," Aren explained, admitting that he was as ignorant as ignorant got when it came to Nyka.

"Or with how..." He continued, his words taking on a hint of surreptitious trepidation, "...costly they might be."

At this, the girl merely shook her head, "Drinks are free, honey. You just leave a tip at the bar, whatever you can spare, when you leave."

Aren merely stared at her in disbelief. Surely, that was simply a jest? She was just messing with him, right? The indifferent, matter-of-factly expression on the girl's face suggested otherwise.
Last edited by Aren on April 4th, 2013, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Rabbit on April 4th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Rabbit laughed out loud. He admitted the Nykan culture of giving free drinks and food was funny to him, but the Pycon was used to it. He had forgotten that Aren was a stranger to the area for a moment. He looked at the waitress and decided to answer her question for the Akalak.

"Just bring... your strongest, if that's okay with you?" He looked at Aren for agreement. The cerulean warrior looked like he could handle a lot of drink, which slightly disappointed Rabbit, but he also approved of it.

The little creature settled down slightly awkwardly on the side of the table, and looked at Aren curiously. He hadn't gotten a very close look at the man's face, so was doing so now. The blue skin looked strange at first, but it really did seem to fit the warrior well. Rabbit smiled slightly, and decided it was time to figure out more about why the Akalak was here, and what he was planning on doing. He forced himself to believe the reason was plain and simple curiosity, and to move on the conversation, but he still felt that nagging feeling in his stomach. If Aren traveled a lot... went on adventures.... No. The Pycon shook his head, ears flopping slightly, and gave the warrior an apoligetic look. Finally voicing his question, he asked

"So... why are you in Nyka? Are you one of those always travelling people?" The last sentence held a small tinge of hope, though Rabbit tried hard to conceal it.
I am not cute. Rabbits, yes, look cute, and I look like a rabbit. But keep in mind that inside, I am not cute. Remember that.
Rabbit

Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Aren on April 5th, 2013, 3:32 am

Aren had been rendered speechless for a moment, which was no easy task, and could only nod in approval as Rabbit suggested the potency of their drinks. He did manage to use his fingers to indicate to their server to bring two of what the pycon was ordering, thinking the little construct would join him in partaking. And, if not, there would be no issue if the akalak saw himself requiring to drink both of them.

As they waited there, Aren noticed that Rabbit seemed to be having some sort of internal debate. His face shook, his normally alert ears drooped, but he said nothing. The warrior was just about to inform him that he should feel free to say whatever was on his mind, but the diminutive pycon beat him to it.

Aren smiled as he heard Rabbit's question. The answer to one answered the other, "I am at that," he stated proudly, before thinking that maybe his new friend might enjoy hearing a little more before their refreshments arrived.

"I've been to Syliras, the city of the knights, and Sunberth, the city of ruffians. I've seen the forests of Kalinor, and met the spider people that dwell there," Every time the akalak mentioned a location, his eyes would light up. It was clear that these experiences where treasured memories to him, and that he was not simply making idle boasts about places he'd never actually been to.

"I've slept amongst the horselords of the Grasslands, and tasted the delicacies of the Bastani bakery, in Riverfall," Aren continued, a wide, almost nostalgic grin plastered on his face. These were the most memorable highlights he could think of, but without the details that made the story come alive, they were really just names and places.

"Why do you ask, Master Rabbit?" Aren queried, after his exuberance had come to it's conclusion.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Rabbit on April 5th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Rabbit felt excitement boiling up inside him as he heard his companion describe all the places he'd been to. The adventure-lover inside him completely overruled the practical side, and a massive grin broke upon his face, though looking slightly strange with a rabbit's features. He decided to explain his intentions, and maybe they could strike up a deal.

"Oh! I was... ummm" The practicality had come back, as well as a small bout of shyness, but he couldn't really stop now. "Well... I sort of... really like.. um... travelling, and stuff like that..." He knew the explanation had been terrible, not really explaining his intentions, but the Pycon hoped Aren would catch the hint. His large smile had changed back into an apologetic one, and he began to feel slightly awkward. He rubbed his clay paws together, and his ears twitched slightly. Luckily he found quick cover as the waitress deposited two tankards on the table, both in front of Aren. She had a hint of a smile in the corner of her mouth, wondering what the blue man’s reaction was to getting both of the drinks. Knowing Rabbit, she knew perfectly well that the creature didn’t drink, so didn’t bother placing the vessel before him. She also deposited a small ball of clay before the rabbity Pycon, though he hadn’t ordered it. Rabbit gave her a small smile, and proceeded to munch of the provided nourishment in order to avoid embarrassment. He really hadn’t handled that well...
Rabbit

Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Aren on April 5th, 2013, 9:47 pm

"Ooooh?" Aren mused, hypothesizing that Rabbit's like of traveling was better described as Rabbit's dream of travelling. He was simply too uncertain, too shy, and these were dead giveaways. The well versed wanderer shed these qualities promptly, lest he find his career had no wind with which to sail.

"Then you must know the old traveler's axiom..." The akalak stated, a mischievousness smile contorting his face, "...you never refuse a drink from a new friend," he concluded, pushing one of the recently arrived beverages towards the apprehensive little creature.

By their server's response to his order, it was starting to become obvious now that the pycon probably didn't drink. Honestly, however, Aren could not discern if this was a trait of the individual or the species, assuming Rabbit was even part of a species. Either way, if he was going to be traveling he was going to need to learn to master this essential skill, even if he needed to fake it. There was no faster way to make friends than to drink with people, and when you were far from home surrounded by things you didn't understand, friends could mean the difference between life and death.

Aren wasn't expecting Rabbit to chug down the entire mug, of course, but it was important that he understood that sometimes the attempt was more meaningful than the result. A man you've spent the past three hours trying to befriend might take umbrage if you refuse to drink with him, but very few people would balance someone's inability to hold their liquor against them.

Eagerly looking at the little construct nervously chomping on some bit of clay, Aren's eyes seemed to suggest that refusing wasn't much of an option, which was exactly the sentiment he was trying to convey.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Rabbit on April 6th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Rabbit winced at the first remark, realizing he had badly worded the statement. He really hadn't traveled much... oh sure, around the city, a bunch outside the city, and the decently long distance from his birthplace to Nyka. He'd never really had the chance, means, or need to go anywhere else. Now though, all three of those had appeared with Aren... he needed to make a good impression, but... then the Akalak's next words made him almost curl up. He had gotten himself stuck in a rut.. how could he let this happen?! He scolded himself harsly while the Pycon attempted to come up with a response. He didn't drink. Not just alcohol, anything. It was impossible... at least, he'd never tried. But Rabbit hated to think what fermented wheat would do to clay... He'd always disliked liquids in general, and had managed to avoid them at all costs. The Pycon looked up at his new friend and his mouth curled up slightly.

"I... I can't drink. Literally, I don't drink anything. Never tried, but..." Pushing aside his fears with great effort, he took the large tankard between his little paws and stared down into the liquid below. It smelled foul, and he really couldn't understand what people liked about it. But just this once... Rabbit leaned over and dunked his nose into the liquor, then quickly removed it. His nose was dripping wet and felt extremally awkward and strange. He shook his head to attempt to dry it, without success. The Pycon frowned irritated, but it quickly left his small features. He looked at the man in front of him to see if that had satisfied his request. The clay lay beside him, forgotten, and was rolling to the edge of the table until it stopped on a flat side. Rabbit looked around, spotted it, and resumed his nervous nibbling.
Rabbit

Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Aren on April 6th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Aren watched intently as he saw Rabbit confront his fears and then overcome them, dunking his head into a liquid whose effects on him he had no way of knowing. Although the scene was incredibly amusing, the akalak simply couldn't bring himself to laugh at the little creature's bravery.

"It was a valiant first attempt, Master Rabbit. I'm sure one day you'll be drinking with the best of them," Aren acknowledged, giving the pycon an encouraging look. His ability to overcome his fears certainly boded well for his future as a traveler, assuming that was indeed his intention.

Tapping his mug against Rabbit's own, the akalak thought the gusture would be an appropritae symbol to commemorate their newfound friendship. With the gentle clink serving as his cue, the azure giant brought his glass up to his lips, and promptly up-ended it's entire contents in one swift motion.

The beer went through the akalak almost like it was water, his massive size preventing the human drink from having much of an impact on him. He swiftly called their server back, however, eager to get started on round two.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Purview of Strangers

Postby Rabbit on April 7th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Rabbit laughed lightly at Aren’s comments, and grinned. He was feeling particularly loose, and open to the man, and considered the idea that the beer had affected him. The Pycon quickly dismissed this, as he had been feeling this way since... well, before they entered the tavern even. He wondered what the real cause of this was, and finally settled on the Akalak himself. His personality just... well, it made you want to open up. This slight fact got on Rabbit’s nerves quite a bit, but he did understand the usefulness of it as a tool. Though he wasn’t quite sure if Aren used it for that purpose, or if it was just the way the cerulean warrior was. He couldn’t settle on an answer and decided to ignore that question for the time being.

“So... how long are you staying in Nyka for?” the Pycon asked curiously. He knew it probably had something to do with the Akalak travelling all over the world, but you could never be sure. Instead, he decided to ask for clarification, also hoping to get something out of the reply. Both of Rabbit’s ears stood straight up, and he wore a small smile on his face. All thoughts of manipulating Aren had left his head, and when thinking back on it, realized it would have been fruitless whichever way he’d gone. So possibly this was the best path to take, and it certainly seemed like they’d warmed to each other.
Rabbit

Character sheet
Scrapbook

PreviousNext